Barry McCockinner

Jamal Adams Draft Position

Do You Give A Flying F What Position Adams Was Drafted?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Give A Flying F What Position Adams Was Drafted?

• Yes - It is important to remind everyone every time Adams is mentioned.
    • No - What's done is done and I like it when the Jets have good players.

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No Jamal Adams is has been since we drafted him. 

fine, semantics then..

still, mike LB > box safety..

• Upvote 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

9 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

we'll franchise tag him and then let's see what happens with a good GM.  He is a solid leader and should be paid.  Team first but a good GM should be able to handle this. Not Mac, Idzik or Tanny, but a good GM.

Yes pay him. Just don’t let it be us. We have MUCH greater needs that money could be allocated. Darnold will soon demand a new contract.  We will be signing FA’s to fortify the OL. Yes money falls off and opens up but Adams isn’t worth 14 million per. He is no Eric Berry or Earl Thomas. Not even close.

10 hours ago, CTM said:

[X] Op doesn't understand that his draft position will greatly impact upcoming contract negotiation

No. It won't. Literally the only impact is on the cost of the 5th year option, but since that's still going to be cheap relative to his status (avg of top 10 safety numbers, which as of right now is 11.8M) instead of top of market (right now is 14M). So his draft slot will have near zero impact on the cost of an extension which, given inflation, will likely cost 15m per

Let's see what this D really looks like when Mosely and Henry Anderson are back.  In almost any case I don't see the Jets investing the kind of money that they did last year into the Defense again this coming offseason.

If they can draft smart (big assumption), find a good CB, upgrade Copeland to a better edge rusher then as we start to wean off the Mosely contract, Trumaine is gone, Leo situation is resolved, etc. in a year or two there shouldn't be a problem paying Adams.

Gregg Williams may show us that he can make some magic happen without excessively expensive CBs and Edge rushers.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JiF said:

To play devil's advocate, I dont think we need a brand new OL.  Edoga, Lewis, Shell - could be a decent core.  Even remove one, that's just a FA and draft pick to get 4 solid starters.  That shouldnt hurt the cap too bad.  What edge rusher will be available worth that type of coin?  The recent contracts to "edge rushers" around the league havent exactly lived up to their billing.  Imagine if we signed Frank Clark or to a lesser extent Barr....how ape sh*t would this place be?  

And then look at the current roster, outside of Jamal Adams and eventually Darnold, who is worthy of a 2nd contract that is coming up anytime soon?   The thought is with a new regime that that team is going to immensely improve talent via the draft, right?  So if that happens in the next year or 2, would Adams still be considered a luxury player or at that point, a crucial piece to a young defense?  

I think the Jets are actually kind of in a fortunate place if they're interested in keeping Adams around long term.  Tru will come off soon, they could get out of Bell in 2 years and the only really heavy contract they're carrying is Mosley and an upcoming deal for Darnold.  Seems to me they could fit Adams easily and continue to add.  

Just thinking out loud...

Mediocrity at its finest.

• Downvote 2

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The money we'd be spending on Jamal could easily be spent on 2 starting interior OL.  

OR, if a pass rusher/Corner/WR comes available that you DO like, you spend it there.

Basically spending on Adams takes away options to spend on premium positions.  I don't know WHO will be available in FA the next couple offseasons or how the draft plays out, but you just don't spend $14M per on Adams, who will never be more than the 4th most important player on the defense.  Build the defense around Mosley.  Spend money and heavy draft capital on offense.  

Pop quiz. Do you spend 14-16 mil per year on Schreff or Adams. An all pro Guard that would protect Sam for years to come and road grader for Bell. Or keep Adams and his 1 INT per year ratio. Not exactly rocket science. Do the Redskins trade Schreff straight up for Adams? Uh I dunt tink so.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I never denied that the pro-paying Adams arguments bother me.  

WTF is the pro paying Adams argument?

How many different ways can some bitch about Adams?  Its Fing amazing to read.

• Upvote 1

Everyone brings up Mahomes when they talk about this. The Jets werent taking Mahomes! So if they didn’t take Adams or Mahomes who else did you want them to draft? Mike Williams? Drafted one pick after Adams 

• Upvote 1

The four picks before Adams was selected were 

Mitchell Trubisky

Solomon Thomas 

Leonard Fournette 

Corey Davis

and there are some fans on here who are upset we drafted one of the best safeties in the league that year. Doesn’t make any sense. Maybe you guys would’ve been happy if we took John Ross instead 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Everyone brings up Mahomes when they talk about this. The Jets werent taking Mahomes! So if they didn’t take Adams or Mahomes who else did you want them to draft? Mike Williams? Drafted one pick after Adams 

This isn’t the argument at all. The argument is that the upside/impact of hitting on a safety at the top of the first round isn’t worth foregoing the upside of hitting on a QB/EDGE/WR/CB.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jgb said:

This isn’t the argument at all. The argument is that the upside/impact of hitting on a safety at the top of the first round isn’t worth foregoing the upside of hitting on a QB/EDGE/WR/CB.

Well my point is who the heck else did you want them to take in that spot? Adams is the best guy taken in that draft not named mahomes 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, CTM said:

[X] Op doesn't understand that his draft position will greatly impact upcoming contract negotiation

So you think players get paid because of where they are drafted and not based on performance? i 

Do you think he would get a big contract if he was bad simply because he was drafted high? 

The funniest part about this dumb post is that you found 10 people to like it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Well my point is who the heck else did you want them to take in that spot? Adams is the best guy taken in that draft not named mahomes 

They’d argue trade down.

and PS Watson is better so is Kamara and maybe JuJu. Probably more I’m not thinking of.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

They’d argue trade down.

and PS Watson is better so is Kamara and maybe JuJu. Maybe more I’m not thinking of.

Trade down and take who? I’d rather have Adams over those two guys every day of the week btw. Adams is having an all pro years those guys aren’t doing much 

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

They’d argue trade down.

and PS Watson is better so is Kamara and maybe JuJu. Maybe more I’m not thinking of.

And I also rather have Darnold over Watson. Kamara and JuJu over Jamal? Lmao now I’ve heard it all

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

They’d argue trade down.

Neither Kamara or Juju had 1st rd grades. And if we’re gonna argue Them then we can add delvin cook to the list. but most importantly we choose Maye over all of them . That had nothing to do with taking jamal at 6. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Trade down and take who? I’d rather have Adams over those two guys every day of the week btw. Adams is having an all pro years those guys aren’t doing much 

Adams over Watson?

Just now, Scoop24 said:

Neither Kamara or Juju had 1st rd grades. And if we’re gonna argue Them then we can add delvin cook to the list. but most importantly we choose Maye over all of them . That had nothing to do with taking jamal at 6. 

He said in the draft not round 1

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

And I also rather have Darnold over Watson. Kamara and JuJu over Jamal? Lmao now I’ve heard it all

Did I say that? You said he was best guy in the draft other than Mahomes. He was not and I cited players who are better. Who said we should’ve taken them at 6?

Only Jets fans can land a top 3 player from the 2017 draft and cry about it non stop on a consistent basis ... it’s unreal 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

Only Jets fans can land a top 3 player from the 2017 draft and cry about it non stop on a consistent basis ... it’s unreal 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Did I say that? You said he was best guy in the draft other than a Mahomes. He was not and I cited players who are better. Who said we should’ve taken them at 6?

How’s JuJu doing this year? How much of a difference would Kamara make more than Bell. Adams is an all pro who is anchoring this defense now. You’re shot if you think any GM would honesly take JuJu or Kamara over Jamal

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

How’s JuJu doing this year? How much of a difference would Kamara make more than Bell. Adams is an all pro who is anchoring this defense now. You’re shot if you think any GM would honesly take JuJu or Kamara over Jamal

When you have to misrepresent someone’s position you’ve lost the debate, mate.

31 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

If they didn't take Mahomes... how about taking Watson? He's pretty good.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

If they didn't take Mahomes... how about taking Watson? He's pretty good.

Then we would have never landed Darnold! Who is better than Watson. Jets fans are an embarrassment 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Then we would have never landed Darnold! Who is better than Watson. Jets fans are an embarrassment 

Ah so draft mistakes are good because they could lead to better later. That’s a new one.

Not even gonna touch the absurd opinion that Darnold has proven anywhere near enough to say he is better than Watson...

37 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So you think players get paid because of where they are drafted and not based on performance? i 

Do you think he would get a big contract if he was bad simply because he was drafted high? 

The funniest part about this dumb post is that you found 10 people to like it. 

Why do some of you have this compulsion to distill a nuanced multivariate situation down to a binary.

Obviously if he was a bad player he wouldnt get a big contract based on draft position. I never suggested such a thing

What I did suggest is that hes a good to very good player who is going to want to get paid more than his on the field production is worth due to his burgeoning sports celebrity and existing 22M deal. Both of which were propelled by his draft position.

If Marcus Maye and Jamal Adam's grade out exactly the same over the next 26 games Adam's will expect and receive a much larger contract than Maye who is on a 4M deal. That is the point

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Ah so draft mistakes are good because they could lead to better later. That’s a new one.

Devin Smith is a draft mistake, so is hackenberg, or gholston, or coples, or dee Milner, or darron lee, or Dwayne Robertson.

drafting the best safety in football is not a “draft mistake”

• Upvote 2

I wanted Deshaun Watson but if the Jets weren't going to take a QB Adams was the non-QB I wanted. He was a lock to be very good and was billed as a culture changer.

Would obviously be nice to have Mahomes, but the only non-QBs who would have been better picks there were Lattimore (would be nice to have him, admittedly) or McCaffery.

The real issue, honestly isn't that we took a safety in the top 10. It's that we followed that up with taking ANOTHER safety at the top of the second round. Which is... insane and indefensible, frankly.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CTM said:

Why do some of you have this compulsion to distill a nuanced multivariate situation down to a binary.

Obviously if he was a bad player he wouldnt get a big contract based on draft position. I never suggested such a thing

What I did suggest is that hes a good to very good player who is going to want to get paid more than his on the field production is worth due to his burgeoning sports celebrity and existing 22M deal. Both of which were propelled by his draft position.

If Marcus Maye and Jamal Adam's grade out exactly the same over the next 26 games Adam's will expect and receive a much larger contract than Maye who is on a 4M deal. That is the point

You can't  help yourself.  He is well beyond a good player. That is why I can't take your posts seriously. You are blinded by your hate of Macc and the fact that he took a Safety early. 

Adams is a great player at a position that isn't nearly as valuable as edge rusher/OL. We get it. You should get over it and just be happy we have a pro bowl quality player in his prime. Try to enjoy being a fan once in a while. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Devin Smith is a draft mistake, so is hackenberg, or gholston, or coples, or dee Milner, or darron lee, or Dwayne Robertson.

drafting the best safety in football is not a “draft mistake”

Well you keep defending it like it is “we got better than Watson later.” If not a mistake, the selection should stand on its own.