OT: Matt Rhule

CTJetsFan

Sounds like he's doing really well at Baylor. Had not read/heard this before:
What Matt Rhule is doing at Baylor is now analogous to what Bill O’Brien did in two years at Penn State—taking a program in crisis, and guiding it out to a new era. After a sexual assault scandal rocked the school and the athletic department, the Bears went 1-11 in 2017—Rhule’s first season. The team improved to 7-6 last year, and they’re 6-0 now.
NFL teams, as you might imagine, are paying attention. The Jets were close to hiring Rhule last year, but his choice of offensive coordinator (now-Lions QBs coach Sean Ryan) didn’t line up with theirs (now-Browns OC Todd Monken), and Rhule wasn’t going to relent on staff. If Baylor keeps this going, it won’t be the last NFL job that Rhule has to consider.
Great so we could have what looks to he a very good head coach and the OC of an overachieving Lions team, and the reason we don't is because our FO wanted the OC of the drastically underachieving Browns?
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 2

Rhule will be a good coach in this league. He probably would have been a great hire if Darnold was already in his prime.

But Darnold’s still developing and I’m glad they made sure they went with an offensive coach with nfl experience. There will be a learning curve that we can’t afford to waste years on during Darnold’s first few years.

• Upvote 3

Having a young promising potential franchise QB like Darnold is a blessing (especially for us), but it sometimes can be a curse.

We're making decisions solely on 1 player, hellbent on protecting him as much as possible. So we passed up on a promising HC in favor of a proven mediocre one. If Darnold is gonna be great, he's gonna be great regardless of who's in place. I have always been and always will continue to be against coddling players

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I know nothing about Rhule and was surprised his name was tied to the Jets and was really surprised to see them jump into the top 25, especially when I looked at their schedule and I see Stephen F. Austin, UTSA, Rice, Iowa St., K. St., Texas Tech.  

• Upvote 1

Good for him. But OC and a plan for Darnold’s development is the most important thing. So far Darnold’s put up the best performance a QB has against the Bills defense and he looks better than he did last year. 

Monken would have been a good fit for Darnold. He’s was always gonna be a bad fit for Mayfield. His system plus Kitchens trying to act competent and calling plays is killing Mayfield’s develop. Gase said he wanted less people in Darnold’s ear and it seems to be working.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I didn’t have a problem with it when it came to Rhule.

Supposedly he was hell bent on bringing nothing but a bunch of college assistants with him.

No f*cking way you entrust Darnold’s development to a bunch of green dicks who have never even stepped on an NFL sideline in a coaching capacity.

Yeah instead lets trust his development to a guy that just utterly failed in every way in his last gig trying to coach up a 'franchise'. qb'

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I’d still trust Gase over some young assistant coach from Baylor or Temple who was a towel boy 5 years ago.

I'll give you that.

The thing I want for the Jets is a great head coach, leader or men, organizer.  The whole ball of wax.

In my opinion the Jets have had two DCs and one OC as head coach the last 3 coaches.

Rx and Bowles were all defense, Gase is all offense.  They are coordinators that want final say.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I'll give you that.

The thing I want for the Jets is a great head coach, leader or men, organizer.  The whole ball of wax.

In my opinion the Jets have had two DCs and one OC as head coach the last 3 coaches.

Rx and Bowles were all defense, Gase is all offense.  They are coordinators that want final say.

But Gase does seem to be letting GW run the show on defense.  Two strong personalities that seem to be staying in their lanes respectively.  Hope it lasts.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Rhule will coach in the NFL soon.  There’s no doubt.  He’s a culture changer.  

Yup and he’s going to be winner. 

fck Macc and Johnsons For screwing what would have been a BB and TB marriage with Sam. 

also fck all the ignoramuses on here who ridiculed the name in lieu of fat McCarthy 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'll give you that.

True

The most attractive thing about Rhule is that he’s incredibly well rounded.

He has experience coaching on offense, defense and special teams and completely turned around two separate programs.

I think he could eventually make the jump to the NFL and become a damn good coach. Hell, if I was Jerry Jones he would probably be neck and neck with Lincoln Riley as my top choice to replace Jason Garrett. I might even prefer him over Riley in Dallas’ situation.

I just don’t think he would’ve been great for us if he was truly dead set on hiring some 30 year old offensive coach with zero pro experience to develop the first guy we’ve had in decades who has a legit chance to become a truly great QB.

8 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I didn’t have a problem with it when it came to Rhule.

Supposedly he was hell bent on bringing nothing but a bunch of college assistants with him.

No f*cking way you entrust Darnold’s development to a bunch of green dicks who have never even stepped on an NFL sideline in a coaching capacity.

you can be so old school sometimes. Like you have a clue what a good coaching staff looks like. Did you see Sean McVay coming? No you were all in on Kirk cousins and Mike McCarthy recently, and we’re one of the first to sign up with the “Gase is a hell of a hire“ slogan.... So spare me the Rhule was in over his head rhetoric. You have no idea what he would’ve brought to the table. This mentality of needing to bring a bunch of retread coordinators and has done what exactly for some teams out there? Hasn’t helped us that’s for God damn sure.

you don’t want them, cool that’s totally your opinion to have. But spare me the arms crossed “like I’m gonna trust him with Darnold” barbeque porch talk

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

That’s such a stupid perspective. 

Why?

All we have to go by are what the reports were at the time. And they said Rhule wanted to bring a bunch of young assistant coaches from presumably Baylor and Temple with him to fill out his staff.

I’m supposed to trust some wet behind the ears, 30 year old assistant coach with no pro coaching experience to teach Darnold the ins and outs of playing the position at the NFL level? The same Sam Darnold who was a LB and WR throughout most of his HS days and is by no means a finished product? He had only 3 years, HS and college combined, of actually being on the field and playing the position before the Jets drafted him.

No way do I take a goofy risk like that.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Why?

All we have to go by are what the reports were at the time. And they said Rhule wanted to bring a bunch of young assistant coaches from presumably Baylor and Temple with him to fill out his staff.

I’m supposed to trust some wet behind the ears, 30 year old assistant coach with no pro coaching experience to teach Darnold the ins and outs of playing the position at the NFL level? The same Sam Darnold who was a LB and WR throughout most of his HS days and is by no means a finished product? He had only 3 years, HS and college combined, of actually being on the field and playing the position before the Jets drafted him.

No way do I take a goofy risk like that.

That's why you're not managing an NFL franchise. Guess what? YES, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO TRUST WHOEVER THE FCK RHULE SAYS YOU HAVE TO TRUST.... that's what hiring a HC means... it means you let him do "his" thing .... That's how he got where he was. Doing his thing, his way, with his ppl... now you want to question that?? 

JETS: Hey, Rhule, we love what you've done, and the program you run... we just want you to do it our way..? 

What you're talking about is lunacy. All this crap and garbage about needing to have these proven Coordinators... what the fck. WHO EXACTLY is riding that wave to a lambardi? The Jets, the Browns, the Buccs - these are all teams hiring "tenured" staff.  

Here's a mindblowing notion.... you let the guy who's figured out how to coach, coach. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

30 minutes ago, nycdan said:

But Gase does seem to be letting GW run the show on defense.  Two strong personalities that seem to be staying in their lanes respectively.  Hope it lasts.

Yeah that is not what i want,  having his say is more like handing it totally over to him and things will go swimmingly until one side of the ball or other falters.  I want a guy that runs the team ans send his time on all the team, not just the offense or defense.

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So the Jets were trying to dictate the OC for HC hires (link please)? Was this Chris Johnson wisdom or another Mac masterpiece? FFS

This was public knowledge during the process. They talked about it for a while. I think they were partly scared of hiring a first time NFL HC who was going to bring in an unknown guy to be a first time OC. To an extent after the Bowles Rodgers thing I can understand their hesitancy, but you don't make decisions based on fear. I don't blame Rhule either for not wanting to be saddled with a known, but possibly pitiful staff. If Rhule got to this point on his own and you want him then you let him pick his staff, and not have to train coaches up from scratch, or deal with people who don't want to change because they think they know better.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Paradis said:

What a load of sh*t. 

you can be so old school condescending sometimes. Like you have a clue what a good coaching staff looks like. Did you see Sean McVay coming? No you were all in on Kirk cousins and Mike McCarthy recently, and we’re one of the first to sign up with the “Gase is a hell of a hire“ slogan.... So spare me the Rhule was in over his head rhetoric. You have no idea what he would’ve brought to the table. This mentality of needing to bring a bunch of retread coordinators and has done what exactly for some teams out there? Hasn’t helped us that’s for God damn sure.

you don’t want them, cool that’s totally your opinion to have. But spare me the arms crossed “like I’m gonna trust him with Darnold” barbeque porch talk

Sean McVay had spent multiple years in the NFL studying under Mike and Kyle Shanahan, slappy.

He actually at least paid his dues as an assistant NFL coach interacting on a daily basis with a duo who have reputations as offensive masterminds.

That’s a far cry from from some assistant coach at Temple or Baylor with no pro experience making an immediate jump to the NFL and being put in charge of bringing up a raw QB.

If Rhule would’ve been willing to bring in anyone with a shred of a background in the NFL or hell, even a longtime college coach with experience working with QB’s, then I would’ve been more on board.

But judging by the reports, which could be complete bullsh*t for anyone knows, that wasn’t the case.

And I never wanted McCarthy as a first choice. I’ve called out his stubbornly old-school, 1987 Bill Walsh playcalling numerous times.

Cousins? Sure, we were staring at the #6 pick at the time and I thought at best we’d be stuck with someone like Mayfield or Josh Allen. Cousins and, say, Quenton Nelson seemed like a better alternative to me. And hell, judging by Mayfield’s sh*tastic showing this year, it still does.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Sean McVay had spent multiple years in the NFL studying under Mike and Kyle Shanahan, slappy.

He actually at least paid his dues as an assistant NFL coach interacting on a daily basis with a duo who have reputations as offensive masterminds.

That’s a far cry from from some assistant coach at Temple or Baylor with no pro experience making an immediate jump to the NFL and being put in charge of bringing up a raw QB.

If Rhule would’ve been willing to bring in anyone with a shred of a background in the NFL or hell, even a longtime college coach with experience working with QB’s, then I would’ve been more on board.

But judging by the reports, which could be complete bullsh*t for anyone knows, that wasn’t the case.

And I never wanted McCarthy as a first choice. I’ve called out his stubbornly old-school, 1987 Bill Walsh playcalling numerous times.

Cousins? Sure, we were staring at the #6 pick at the time and I thought at best we’d be stuck with someone like Mayfield or Josh Allen. Cousins and, say, Quenton Nelson seemed like a better alternative to me. And hell, judging by Mayfield’s sh*tastic showing this year, it still does.

You either trust the man or you don’t. Doesn’t matter where his staff is from. If you don’t like his staff don’t interview him.

The Jets are going to regret blowing that one

25 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

This was public knowledge during the process. They talked about it for a while. I think they were partly scared of hiring a first time NFL HC who was going to bring in an unknown guy to be a first time OC. To an extent after the Bowles Rodgers thing I can understand their hesitancy, but you don't make decisions based on fear. I don't blame Rhule either for not wanting to be saddled with a known, but possibly pitiful staff. If Rhule got to this point on his own and you want him then you let him pick his staff, and not have to train coaches up from scratch, or deal with people who don't want to change because they think they know better.

I guess I missed it. Maybe I purposely blocked it out because now that I'm seeing it my blood is boiling. 

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

I’m happy having Darnold under Gase’s tutelage. We seem to have the important pieces in place: stud QB, smart offensive HC, GM with impressive resume. Now we just need a few quality drafts in order to become a contender. 

There were wide receivers open all over the field on Sunday. Darnold in some cases had to pick which open guy to throw to.  We had open guys against Philadelphia as well. The offensive scheme we have right now is very good in my opinion. Our offensive line is still very mediocre at best.  If not for that interception around the 5 yard line I think we hang 31 points on the Cowboys.

I will take Gase and Williams over Rhule +  anybody or McCarthy + anybody.  Previous Jets coaches would not have been able to contain their desire to run Le’Veon Bell early and often. Gase had a very good game plan which included only 14 rushing attempts by Bell. It worked.  I think our offense is in good hands. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1