How do we gameplan for the Patriots?

What do we against the Patriots ? Belichick is going to take away Levon and try to pressure Darnold.

I'd appreciate the comments from ppl who are much more Football savvy. Thanks all. Wishing for a miracle on Sunday. Hopefully we get some guys back. The TE we have and Mosley would help elevate our team to another level.

Sent from my SM-J701M using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

If I were Gase, I would go into the game assuming BB will try to take away the running game. However, unlike Dallas, they will switch coverages and blitz Darnold. If Herndon plays, I would attack them up the middle targeting Herndon and Crowder with the occasional screen pass to Bell. Basically, I would go with a similar game plan to the one we had against Dallas.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On offense:   Robby has had real trouble against Gilmore.  Don't quit on the idea.  Move Robby into the slot a few times.  Try to get Gilmore caught in traffic to spring Robby free deep one time. 

Run a couple of misdirection screens on 2nd down.  

Stay with the run if the game is within reach, even if it isn't working.  Keep giving Le'V and TyMont the ball.  Too many passes against New England will lead to bad things.

On defense:  Take away Julian Edelman at all cost.  ALL COST.    Make the rest beat you.  Press closer to the line of scrimmage.  Force Brady to throw deeper.  KEEP TRUMAINE JOHNSON OFF THE FIELD.  No unnecessary penalties.  Be ready for Damien Harris, if he is active, to supplant Sony Michel. Michel flat out sucks and they have to know it by now.

Random: Be ready for some whacky Patriot flea-flicker they will bust out.  And the Jets should try one on them for a change.   Try to sneak a first down whenever possible.  Gase did that against Dallas with a quick snap on 3rd and short, along with two plays to draw them offsides.  It probably wont work against a disciplined Beli team instead of a Jason Garrett mess, but try it anyway.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Blitz, blitz and then blitz some more

Brady under pressure is the only way to stop him

I agree. And I know ppl say you can't blitz Brady b/c he will beat you that way but I've seen the Jets try to get to him with just a 4 man front and its just not enough, he has too much time and our secondary is nowhere near good enough. Best chance the Jets have is to shut down the run game and blitz the f**k out of Brady doing their best to disguise coverages. I want him getting knocked on his a** all day. 

And can we please have Jamal Adams keep an eye on their RBs running wheel routes. It seems like that's how the Pats get their biggest chunk plays against the Jets b/c we always put LBs on them and our LBs can never keep up. I'd rather have our LBs cover their TEs and have Adams eye the RBs. 

On offense all I can say is that Gase has to be aggressive and stay aggressive. I want to see some creativity and I want to see him keep the foot on the gas. I don't care if Sam has to throw it 50 times, if the run game is going nowhere, don't force it, throw the ball, and vice versa. I thought against Dallas Gase did a good job of mixing up short passes with deep shots and I'd like to see more of that.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I agree. And I know ppl say you can't blitz Brady b/c he will beat you that way but I've seen the Jets try to get to him with just a 4 man front and its just not enough, he has too much time and our secondary is nowhere near good enough. Best chance the Jets have is to shut down the run game and blitz the f**k out of Brady doing their best to disguise coverages. I want him getting knocked on his a** all day. 

And can we please have Jamal Adams keep an eye on their RBs running wheel routes. It seems like that's how the Pats get their biggest chunk plays against the Jets b/c we always put LBs on them and our LBs can never keep up. I'd rather have our LBs cover their TEs and have Adams eye the RBs. 

On offense all I can say is that Gase has to be aggressive and stay aggressive. I want to see some creativity and I want to see him keep the foot on the gas. I don't care if Sam has to throw it 50 times, if the run game is going nowhere, don't force it, throw the ball, and vice versa. I thought against Dallas Gase did a good job of mixing up short passes with deep shots and I'd like to see more of that.  

I totally disagree.  If the Jets abandon the run and Sam throws it 50 times... forget it.  

No way Darnold wins that battle against the Patriots defense behind the OL. 

They have to stay with the run.  Even if only 2.9 ypc.

But seriously when you play the cheats you need 2 game plans, you have to anticipate belicheat will make adjustments.  Ya gotta bake that in. 

Its all disguise. You have to mix up doing what you are showing with doing the opposite. Keep them off balance. 

lastly self scouting and tendency breakers.  Good game to use bell as a decoy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Defense: Stop the run, inside-out bracket coverage on Edelman, and force brady to beat you elsewhere. Yes, seriously.

Offense: 65:35 pass to run ratio. Sam needs to carry the load this game. Belichick will focus on stopping the run, and he’ll have looks and coverages designed to confuse Sam, but with a 65:35 ratio, he won’t have enough, and Sam should be able to beat a bunch of them if he’s the savior we all hope he is. 

ST: no turnovers, punts need to actually flip fields when called upon, and no missed kicks (XP’s/FGs).

• Upvote 1

Two game plans. Tendency breakers in the first half. Back to tendencies in the third quarter. Back to breakers for the fourth. 

Flea flicker to Robby (9 route) or Thomas (deep cross)on the first play of the game. And the second. Get the LBs and safeties thinking before they crash the line on handoffs

Line up crowder and Herndon on the same side of the formation to dictate matchups

11 personnel as the base, and go no huddle

On D, take away Edelman;their receiving corps is thin. Make Myers and Dorsett beat you

3 minutes ago, Yucatan Jetfan said:

Anyone remember a movie that had a running back take out a pistol and shoot his way to the end zone? We need a defensive back to do the same. emoji16.pngemoji6.png

Just kidding.

My favorite football-related gif to post:

BrilliantUnderstatedKoi-size_restricted.

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

I think we just go in and do what we do. Play Jets football and get the W

Usually playing jet football results in a loss in embarrassing fashion. 

But seriously,  how do we win this game? To me our best chance of victory is Darnold and leveon. If we can keep the ball moving, convert third downs, keep Brady on the sideline,  and put up 7s instead of 3s,  that's a recipe for success. 

So it’s pretty hard to identify a huge mismatch here.  I think maybe Herndon against one of their safeties is the best bet (young legs against older legs).

i don’t see us running much against them.  They have very good DTs and ILBs.  If we do, it would be more outside than inside  bc if there’s a weakness, it’s probably on the edge.

in the first game their front completely obliterated our OL, and our WRs basically didn’t have an inch of separation.  Bell made a few somethings out of nothing, but the improvement here is going to largely have to come from  heroics from Sam.  We simply have to tire them out by keeping them on the field, and that’s up to the D.

we need this to be a low scoring game.

6 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Blitz, blitz and then blitz some more

Brady under pressure is the only way to stop him

True dat.  They need to knock him around like they did to Dak in the first half.  I watched the TV replay of the game and saw some stuff I missed at the game.  Including the pain on Prescott's face as his linemen were scraping him off the field after getting hit hard and often.  If you ask me, that's what let us dominate the 1st half.    

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jgb said:

I actually don’t think Pats will stack box on Jets. Bill knows Sam is the one he has to stop and I expect him to respond accordingly. The run will be there if we want it.

I agree.  Everyone assumes it will be Bell that draws the short straw on Belichick's  "remove from game" target strategy.  I think it's Darnold.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Yucatan Jetfan said:

Anyone remember a movie that had a running back take out a pistol and shoot his way to the end zone? We need a defensive back to do the same. emoji16.pngemoji6.png

Just kidding.

Any Given Sunday.  Perhaps the worst football film ever. No... the worst sports film ever.  It was like the entire cast just graduated from the William Shatner School of Acting. 

But I did like this scene.  Lawrence Taylor looks ready!

That's a team, gentlemen, and either, we heal, now, as a team, or we will die as individuals.

best line in the whole movie.

Offensively:

2 backs with Bell and Ty. Let them take away Bell, because they will. Keep throwing and dumping off to Ty. 

Robbie will be locked down and null and void. Demarius ain’t doing anything. Keep hitting Crowder over the middle.

Try and establish some run game.

Move the pocket! Scramble Darnold around. Constantly, buy time for receivers to get open because their secondary is going to be all over our receivers. 

Defensively:

Pressure on Brady. Our secondary isn’t good enough to assume giving him the dinks and dunks will keep us in the game. If we sit back in zone, he’ll still kill is dee enough times. Bring the pressure and get up in his face.

Special Teams:

Obviously, win the battle for field position.

9 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I totally disagree.  If the Jets abandon the run and Sam throws it 50 times... forget it.  

No way Darnold wins that battle against the Patriots defense behind the OL. 

They have to stay with the run.  Even if only 2.9 ypc.

If Belichik decides to take away the run we'll have no choice but to pass, even if it's 50 attempts. Staying with the run against a stacked box D will only put us in 3rd and long all day. I'd like to see Bell get more touches as a receiver.

6 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

My favorite football-related gif to post:

BrilliantUnderstatedKoi-size_restricted.

Careful. In today's world this could be considered a mass shooter threat and the board locked down. You might be getting a visit from the board police and brought into the Mod Lounge as punishment (posters brought in there rarely return). Good Luck and may Maxman have mercy on your soul.

4 hours ago, jgb said:

I actually don’t think Pats will stack box on Jets. Bill knows Sam is the one he has to stop and I expect him to respond accordingly. The run will be there if we want it.

I had the same thought.

Gotta get Bell onto the flat, by pitch or a quick hitter. Let him have space to work with.

Hitting Brandi as much as possible would be nice too. I think this game shows us what GW brings to the table.

Of course pressuring brady up the middle is the key to success, but it’s not an easy thing to accomplish. The pats OL is notorious for holding and not getting called because the refs have to protect the face of the nfl. 

Hope to get home with a 4 man rush (a DL filled with 1st rounders should, in theory, accomplish this), play a staggered 5 man zone underneath with bracket coverage on Edelman, and force brady and his receivers to beat you deep against our two talented safeties. Throw in the occasional blitz, and add some disguises to the coverage, but in general I think this is the way to stop the 2019 Week 7 pats passing attack.

Again, this is a running offense. Goal number 1 is to stop the run and make brady have to drop back and throw.