How do we gameplan for the Patriots?

16 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Of course pressuring brady up the middle is the key to success, but it’s not an easy thing to accomplish. The pats OL is notorious for holding and not getting called because the refs have to protect the face of the nfl. 

Can someone tell me why the league would do this? Other than we dream it up?

The entire league, draft and FA signings are done with an eye on parity.  

The leagues phenomenal success is rooted in parity

Why would they go against this and run the league for the Pats?

The most hated team in the league.  Who have a icy relationship with the league

What would be the reasons

I watch games and I see holds that arent called each way 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The league would do it because it’s a business and they want to make money. 
On NFL radio a retired player was talking who hosted the show was talking about how a OT changed teams or coaches and all of a sudden wasn’t getting called for penalties but he did a lot throughout his career. I’ll try to find it.

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

On NFL radio a retired player was talking who hosted the show was talking about how a OT changed teams or coaches and all of a sudden wasn’t getting called for penalties but he did a lot throughout his career. I’ll try to find it.

How is giving the Patriots wins that they dont deserve good for business?  No one can answer that.  

Players whine about calls just like fans do.  49rs whined about calls going the Ravens way, R Lewis whined that calls went the Pats way.  Happens, doesnt make them right.

Again the league is all about parity.  Why go against it with one team, a team no one likes.  

Funny part, talk to Pats fans.  They think when the play us we get all the calls.  Why?  Goodell was an intern for a few years with the Jets and he pulls for us.  Its what fans do

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How is giving the Patriots wins that they dont deserve good for business?  No one can answer that.  

Players whine about calls just like fans do.  49rs whined about calls going the Ravens way, R Lewis whined that calls went the Pats way.  Happens, doesnt make them right.

Again the league is all about parity.  Why go against it with one team, a team no one likes.  

Funny part, talk to Pats fans.  They think when the play us we get all the calls.  Why?  Goodell was an intern for a few years with the Jets and he pulls for us.  Its what fans do

Superstars are always protected in sports. 

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Superstars are always protected in sports. 

Doesnt work here, the Pats get all the calls line started years before Brady was a superstar

And were not talking protecting a Brady, we're talking giving the Pats calls and wins.   PI doesnt protect Brady.  Holding on the D doesnt either or any of the other calls.  I can see roughing the passer calls, I see that with Brady, Rivers, Mahomes, Brees etc. No one here complains about any team other that the Pats getting the rest of the call, specifically holding on the OL.  

11 hours ago, RoadFan said:

On offense:   Robby has had real trouble against Gilmore.  Don't quit on the idea.  Move Robby into the slot a few times.  Try to get Gilmore caught in traffic to spring Robby free deep one time. 

Run a couple of misdirection screens on 2nd down.  

Stay with the run if the game is within reach, even if it isn't working.  Keep giving Le'V and TyMont the ball.  Too many passes against New England will lead to bad things.

On defense:  Take away Julian Edelman at all cost.  ALL COST.    Make the rest beat you.  Press closer to the line of scrimmage.  Force Brady to throw deeper.  KEEP TRUMAINE JOHNSON OFF THE FIELD.  No unnecessary penalties.  Be ready for Damien Harris, if he is active, to supplant Sony Michel. Michel flat out sucks and they have to know it by now.

Random: Be ready for some whacky Patriot flea-flicker they will bust out.  And the Jets should try one on them for a change.   Try to sneak a first down whenever possible.  Gase did that against Dallas with a quick snap on 3rd and short, along with two plays to draw them offsides.  It probably wont work against a disciplined Beli team instead of a Jason Garrett mess, but try it anyway.

Edelman across the middle all day. That has to be stopped. He runs seam routes between the zones. Someone needs to make him pay when he does this.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Doesnt work here, the Pats get all the calls line started years before Brady was a superstar

And were not talking protecting a Brady, we're talking giving the Pats calls and wins.   PI doesnt protect Brady.  Holding on the D doesnt either or any of the other calls.  I can see roughing the passer calls, I see that with Brady, Rivers, Mahomes, Brees etc. No one here complains about any team other that the Pats getting the rest of the call, specifically holding on the OL.  

I’m driving so I can’t find the article but I think it was Charlie Weis and Bob Papa. It had to do with the Giants I believe. Even Charlie Weis agreed certain teams, Coaches, players get preferential treatment from the referees.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I’m driving so I can’t find the article but I think it was Charlie Weis and Bob Papa. It had to do with the Giants I believe. Even Charlie Weis agreed certain teams get preferential treatment from the referees.

And I'll ask again, how does it help the league.  I know no one who watches the game to see the Pats win. I know no one who wants to see them in another SB.  NFL fans and casual fans.  Never mind die hards.  I get the idea that some actually believe its true, every subjective call is angled the opponents way. Happens all the time, we believe it.  Doesnt make it true and doesnt make sense.  If someone can come up with how it helps the NFL lets hear how.  I dont see it, the Pats are the least like championship team ever.  They had a chance to give the titles to teams that get love like the Steelers, Cowboys, etc. 

People loved the Eagles for beating the Pats, so why come back with the Pats again a year later? 

Not saying the havent got their fair share of calls, just not buying its a league mandate, that refs are actually told to pull the Pats way for some unknown reason that goes against how the league sets up

Drive, be safe

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Yucatan Jetfan said:

What do we against the Patriots ? Belichick is going to take away Levon and try to pressure Darnold.

I'd appreciate the comments from ppl who are much more Football savvy. Thanks all. Wishing for a miracle on Sunday. Hopefully we get some guys back. The TE we have and Mosley would help elevate our team to another level.

Sent from my SM-J701M using Tapatalk

Get under Brady's nose.  Get Bell up the field in the pass game.  Our WOs are going tohave a hard time. Hope Herndon plays.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

People do not want to see the same team win EVERY year, week after week.That cannot be something they plan

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jgb said:

I actually don’t think Pats will stack box on Jets. Bill knows Sam is the one he has to stop and I expect him to respond accordingly. The run will be there if we want it.

The Jets haven’t proven they can run on anyone.  I think Belichick looks to confuse Sam and take away the underneath stuff.. let Robbie try to beat Gilmore over the top.

As for what the Jets do, I see a lot of extra safety looks and attempts to take away Brady’s short game. On offense we have to get Bell more involved in the passing game and get him the ball in space 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And I'll ask again, how does it help the league.  I know no one who watches the game to see the Pats win. I know no one who wants to see them in another SB.  NFL fans and casual fans.  Never mind die hards.  I get the idea that some actually believe its true, every subjective call is angled the opponents way. Happens all the time, we believe it.  Doesnt make it true and doesnt make sense.  If someone can come up with how it helps the NFL lets hear how.  I dont see it, the Pats are the least like championship team ever.  They had a chance to give the titles to teams that get love like the Steelers, Cowboys, etc. 

People loved the Eagles for beating the Pats, so why come back with the Pats again a year later? 

Not saying the havent got their fair share of calls, just not buying its a league mandate, that refs are actually told to pull the Pats way for some unknown reason that goes against how the league sets up

Drive, be safe

I already said certain teams/players have a bigger draw then others (superstars) all sports give them special treatment.

4 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I already said certain teams/players have a bigger draw then others (superstars) all sports give them special treatment.

Brady is consistently voted the least liked and bankable star athlete.  Hes not a bigger draw though

So again, why would the NFL do this?  No one has an answer that works 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

You're absolutely right. The pats and brady have received the same treatment by the league as the jets browns and dolphins. Happy?

13 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

You're absolutely right. The pats and brady have received the same treatment by the league as the jets browns and dolphins. Happy?

Other than a snide remark you haven't answered my question.  Why? 

Imsaid they get their fair share of calls.  So do others.  We could have been called for a few that would have changed the Dallas game.  We got a OPI in the EZ that cost them a TD and thankfully no call on the 2 put conversation. 

Cowboys are the leagues most popular team.  Why wouldn't the league give them the calls? 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Other than a snide remark you haven't answered my question.

And I won't answer your question because it's a stupid question with a stupid premise and has nothing to do with how to gameplan for the patriots. If you don't agree with my feelings that brady's OL have consistently benefited from favorable officiating, that's fine. I don't care. I believe they have because of years of watching it, and therefore, the way I'd gameplan to stop the passing offense takes it into account.

54 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I was at the ASJ game. Still don’t understand that one. Last year in week 17 there was a blatant PI in the end zone on Gilmore that wasn’t called. 

I will say it was great to see Bill lose that game to Geno Smith on that field goal penalty. 

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Brady is consistently voted the least liked and bankable star athlete.  Hes not a bigger draw though

So again, why would the NFL do this?  No one has an answer that works 

He also has the best selling Jersey year in and year out and Pats bring in the second most money. 
Also ex players and coaches are saying that refs don’t call the games the same for every team. 

11 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

And I won't answer your question because it's a stupid question with a stupid premise and has nothing to do with how to gameplan for the patriots. If you don't agree with my feelings that brady's OL have consistently benefited from favorable officiating, that's fine. I don't care. I believe they have because of years of watching it, and therefore, the way I'd gameplan to stop the passing offense takes it into account.

Actually your premise is stupid.  On every level.  I asked a question, you can't answer t and your answer is to call it stupid.  Stupid is believing the OL holds every play and the refs are instructed not to call it.  So hold off on the stupid name calling.  

And you seems to care, a lot.  

As far as the thread goes. IMO they need to contain Edelman and White as well as stop the run. They can’t let the Pats control the clock, get a bunch of short yardage first downs and tire out the defense then make big plays. If the Jets control time of possession I think they’ll have a good chance of winning. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, New York Mick said:

As far as the thread goes. IMO they need to contain Edelman and White as well as stop the run. They can’t let the Pats control the clock, get a bunch of short yardage first downs and tire out the defense then make big plays. If the Jets control time of possession I think they’ll have a good chance of winning. 

Totally agree, that little guy is a killer, keeps too many drives alive, saves Bradys ass more than the refs do.LOL

The Jets will Lose because:

1) the pats will stop the run( they’ve been doing it for like 20 games in a row vs. us)

2) they will have numerous coverage sacks, our OLine isn’t any good as we know.

3) Edelman is always open and screws us...again.

i hope I’m wrong but this team doesn’t have the horses to match up with the Pats just yet.

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

He also has the best selling Jersey year in and year out and Pats bring in the second most money. 
Also ex players and coaches are saying that refs don’t call the games the same for every team. 

Yeah, well who created who?  If Bradys jersey wasnt one, someone elses would be.  Dont know that if his jersey was 11th the league would suffer.  We could go back and forth all day, a lot of chicken or the egg type debates.  But as I said, the league is set up for parity, doesnt make sense to me that they would then rig it to the Pats or all teams.

I get the hard part here, we see what we want.  I've said they get their fair share of calls.  Not the argument.  Just it isnt a league wide edict.  Look how ridiculous some get, how pissed they get that someone even asks the questions I've asked while saying they get calls.  Just not every call, just not they hold on every play and never get flagged.  I have one fan calling me stupid for not seeing it.  That its stupid to not get it.  F some fans, LOL

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Here’s a good article from a Boston paper that shows how lopsided it is  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/02/02/nfl-refs-favor-patriots/amp

Why opposing fans and players think NFL refs are favoring the Patriots

By

February 2, 2018
DENVER, CO - NOVEMBER 12:  Quarterback Tom Brady #12 of the New England Patriots shakes hands with referee Walt Coleman #65 as he warms up before a game against the Denver Broncos at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on November 12, 2017 in Denver, Colorado. (Photo by Justin Edmonds/Getty Images)
Tom Brady shakes hands with referee Walt Coleman as he warms up before a game last November against the Denver Broncos in Denver. —Justin Edmonds / Getty Images

It may come as a surprise to Patriots fans — many of whom in recent years have perceived an NFL conspiracy against them — to hear that around the rest of the league many of suspicious of a pro-New England bias. And this season has seen perhaps the pinnacle of the grumbling.

Take, for example, after last month’s AFC Championship game.

The Patriots were called for just one penalty — a ten-yard holding call on a kickoff — while the Jaguars were flagged six times for 98 yards, including a controversial 32-yard pass interference call on cornerback A.J. Bouye with less than 90 seconds lefts in the second quarter, which set up a crucial James White touchdown to cut Jacksonville’s 11-point lead to four points before the end of the half.

“I need to go look at the rulebook on [pass interference penalties], because you’re telling me the receiver can have his hands on me the whole way down the field, but if I look for the ball and try to protect myself from being pushed, it’s a flag?” Bouye complained after the game, according to ESPN.

ADVERTISEMENT

The cornerback was equally incensed about an apparent non-call on Patriots wide reciever Danny Amendola, who he said head-butted Jaguars safety Tashaun Gipson.

“Right after the whistle was blown,” Bouye said. “Right in front of them. I’m just asking how you going to let them do that?”

According to the NFL, the single flag thrown on the Patriots were the fewest penalties called on a team in a playoff game since the 2011 AFC Championship, when none other then the Patriots were called for just one penalty in a win against the Ravens.

“The stats speak for themselves,” Jaguars defensive end Malik Jackson said, according to ESPN.

Going back one game earlier, the Patriots opponents also had complaints about the officiating after their loss.

“That one goes down in history,” since-fired Tennessee Titans coach Mike Mularkey said of a questionable offensive pass interference call on wide receiver Eric Decker in the second quarter, which forced the team to punt. The Patriots would go on to take the lead on the ensuing possession, and never gave it back.

In the 35-14 win, the Patriots were flagged four times for 37 yards, while the Titans were hit with 10 penalties for 62 yards.

And don’t forget the controversially — though also likely correctly — overturned touchdowns from which the Patriots benefited not oncenot twice, but three times this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Patriots backers dismiss the claims of favoritism as cherry-picked anecdotes from jealous haters.

“It’s dumb,” former safety Rodney Harrison said this week when asked about the Patriots’ alleged preferential treatment. “Everyone hates us.”

But outside of the individual games, are there any numbers to substantiate the increasing complaints?

According to nflpenalties.com, the Patriots have been called for the second-fewest flags per game over the course of the 18 games they’ve played this season, while they’ve benefited from the eighth most flags per game. As a result, they have are No. 1 in the NFL for the most net penalty yards at +17.39 yards a game.

A few outlets have also taken a closer look at the subject.

According to the Washington Post, the Patriots had the highest rate of offensive drives (32 percent) with one or more defensive penalties called on their opponent this regular season. And as WEEI recently examined, the team has cashed in on those flags:

No team converted more first downs via penalties (50) than the Patriots. No team recorded more automatic first downs (43). No team gained more yards on defensive pass interference (355). Only four clubs drew more PI calls than the Pats’ 14.

On the flip side, no team allowed fewer first downs by penalty (23), and only two were flagged for fewer defensive pass interference calls than New England’s six, per nflpenalties.com.

In an article Monday, The Ringer dug even further into the penalty stats and, among a number of interesting data points, found that the Patriots’ penalty differential “manifests predominantly in close games.”

From 2011 through the 2017 conference championships, in the 74 games in which the fourth quarter either began or ended with the two teams within eight points of each other, the Patriots were called for 24 percent fewer penalties than their opponents. That disparity was the largest in the league, according to The Ringer.

Meanwhile, in 55 non-close games, the Patriots were reportedly middle of the pack, flagged at a 2 percent higher rate than their opponents.

ADVERTISEMENT

So is it a officiating conspiracy, intentional or otherwise? Perhaps the discrepancy is result of the Patriots’ own success.

“This is a superstar-driven league,” Fox Sports pundit Jason Whitlock argued last October.

“Do basketball superstars get calls? Do Major League Baseball hitting stars or pitching stars get balls and strikes favor to them because it’s in the ref’s mind who they’re out there refereeing? That’s what goes on with the New England Patriots,” Whitlock said. “It’s been going on for years.”

Or perhaps — just maybe — Patriots coach Bill Belichick is so obsessed with minimizing penalties that it results in a noticeable difference in the stats book.

According to The Ringer, which interestingly published something of a rebuttal Thursday to its previous analysis, Belichick’s emphasis on curtailing flags has been long held, and the coach has worked to realize that goal through his granular knowledge of the rulebook and his emphasis on preparation.

“He always talks about mental toughness, about executing,” Patriots defensive back and captain Devin McCourty said in a press conference last week following the Patriots’ win against the Jaguars.

“The focus of not having penalties at practice — obviously we don’t have refs, so there’s not a flag going every time you commit a penalty, but with the coaches being on it about our technique and our fundamentals and not messing that up, and that allows you to play penalty-free, but still play aggressively,” McCourty said.

“We always try to work to eliminate penalties,” Belichick said at a press conference last week.

Sometimes those things happen but, as you said, a lot of those penalties are caused by bad technique or just lack of concentration or sloppy football,” he said. “We certainly are always trying to stamp those out.”

So, either the Patriots have achieved that goal to a higher degree compared to the rest of the league or they’re the beneficiaries of a grand league-wide fix. And if the latter is the case, the question the becomes: To what end

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, well who created who?  If Bradys jersey wasnt one, someone elses would be.  Dont know that if his jersey was 11th the league would suffer.  We could go back and forth all day, a lot of chicken or the egg type debates.  But as I said, the league is set up for parity, doesnt make sense to me that they would then rig it to the Pats or all teams.

I get the hard part here, we see what we want.  I've said they get their fair share of calls.  Not the argument.  Just it isnt a league wide edict.  Look how ridiculous some get, how pissed they get that someone even asks the questions I've asked while saying they get calls.  Just not every call, just not they hold on every play and never get flagged.  I have one fan calling me stupid for not seeing it.  That its stupid to not get it.  F some fans, LOL

In all fairness to the poster who called you stupid you are a pain in the ass lol

Better teams get flagged fewer times than opponents.  I get that, better teams, especially the Pats, tend to be better coached and BB stresses the little things.  So I would expect them to get flagged fewer times. 

And am equally unimpressed that fans think its due to preferential treatment.  

None of this explains why the NFL would be the reason why

13 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

In all fairness to the poster who called you stupid you are a pain in the ass lol

And you are a pain in the ass too, but not stupid.  Plus he wasnt a part of our little debate, lol

In one post he took the question, why would the league do this and without being able to give a reason he went into the stupid accusation.  Didnt do it right.  Needed more to call anyone a pain in the ass.  Not one over one simple question

Seriously, disagree with me and I dont care.  Nothing I said, none of my questions are stupid.  All are a common sense question asked honestly.  Come up with sensible replies, I'll accept them.

Stupid is something I'm not in any way

9 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

The Jets will Lose because:

1) the pats will stop the run( they’ve been doing it for like 20 games in a row vs. us)

2) they will have numerous coverage sacks, our OLine isn’t any good as we know.

3) Edelman is always open and screws us...again.

i hope I’m wrong but this team doesn’t have the horses to match up with the Pats just yet.

2 & 3 are my concerns too.  

The OL can have games like they did against the cowboys but cant see them giving Sam extra time to get someone open

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Yes because no former ref would sell that billion dollar story to anyone 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually your premise is stupid.  On every level.  I asked a question, you can't answer t and your answer is to call it stupid.  Stupid is believing the OL holds every play and the refs are instructed not to call it.  So hold off on the stupid name calling.  

And you seems to care, a lot.  

I never said the OL holds on every play, and I said I don't care about your disagreeing opinion from my viewpoint.

You have almost double the posts in this thread from the next highest poster, yet none your posts offer your opinion on the thread topic: how to gameplan for the pats this week. 

This is my final post to you. Please find someone else to devolve into a pissing match with.

21 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I never said the OL holds on every play, and I said I don't care about your disagreeing opinion from my viewpoint.

You have almost double the posts in this thread from the next highest poster, yet none your posts offer your opinion on the thread topic: how to gameplan for the pats this week. 

This is my final post to you. Please find someone else to devolve into a pissing match with.

That was the theory I was responding to.  

I also dont care how many posts I have, never mind youre wrong, i've been talking back and forth with someone so...

As far as finding someone else, you jumped in, no one asked you to respond, cant answer the question, get pissed and then you tell me to find someone else to argue with?  Funny how that works