Allen, Rosen, Mayfield, Jackson, Darnold

48 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think Mac knew Cleveland was taking Baker. I actually thought there was no way they wouldn't  take Darnold but they took Baker which really surprised me not because of his talent level, it was his maturity  level which Darnold and just about all the others showed a higher level. 

Guess we'll never really know.  All we do know for sure is Macc did travel to watch Sam play a lot that year.  And he traded up to the 3 spot. 

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

It's incredible.

Darnold had a great game on Sunday, and ever since it ended, people can't go a few hours without starting a thread that knocks the other 4 Qbs, or proclaims Darnold their unquestioned cream of the crop. It's become beyond boring. I'm going to sit this one out as Sammy gets praised and we learn....

Mayfield = punk, sure to bust :yawn:

Allen = inaccurate, sure to bust :yawn:

Jackson = poor man's Cam Newton, injury waiting to happen :yawn:

Rosen = entitled douche, already a bust :yawn:

I’m pretty sure that’s exactly how most had them before the draft.

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I think everyone is and I also feel 3 games were stolen from us. We beat Dallas, we could have beaten the Eagles and Browns. 

Or we can realize Sam’s condition could have been worse and he Could have spent the entire Season on IR Just happy to see the kid play again. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Remember when people thought John Harbaugh would get fired and actually debated the merits of hiring him in that instance?  Hilarity.  Dude won a Super Bowl with Joe Flacco as his QB, and is now turning a late 1st round QB into one of the best in the game.  

It’s astounding. Everyone had Lamar as the worst choice and knocked the Ravens fir jumping back into the 1st for him. That organization did a great job on the one. 

• Upvote 3

In the big picture Mac was a terrible GM.  If he knew Darnold was so good he should have been selling players and not signing one year rentals to properly tank.  That gives us Darnold and the draft picks.  

What this QB draft shows is the importance of character and psyche in drafting.  Mayfield and Rosen are punks.  Haslam likes punks and moxie.  Look at his team. He will suffer for it. Keim overlooked Rosens flaws.  Allen is a good kid and good athlete-he is surviving.  Jackson is a quality person as is Darnold.  

Look at Polite. 

Gettleman got caught up in BPA.   The Browns fell for Mayfield-that story is not over. The Colts wanted more picks to surround Luck.  Mac and the Jets were lucky to get Darnold-pure and simple. 

Darnold is the real deal.  The only reason he is not a top 16 QB in the next 5 years is because the Jets screw it up.  Pay him ASAP to spread the cost and get as many draft picks as possible. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, varjet said:

In the big picture Mac was a terrible GM.  If he knew Darnold was so good he should have been selling players and not signing one year rentals to properly tank.  They gives us Darnold and the draft picks.  

Yep.  It's almost as if the remaining Macc supporters treat the trade-up and Darnold as a sign Macc was actually a decent GM rather than what it was:  A good trade (executed by Heimerdinger) that led to some fortunate circumstances.

The fact that Macc drafted an old project DT with the very next pick after taking Darnold was proof positive he never had a clue how to build around a franchise QB even if he stumbled into one.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Losmeister said:

in JetNation of hyperbole............................... this is the understatemnt of the year...

he's 8th in the NFL in rushing yards FFS!!! more than 24 startung running backs.

1st in yards per carry

Yes.  All true and great for BAL.  But if he wasn't also passing well, he would just be Michael Vick 2.0.  No future in that.  Nobody has ever successfully been a top-10 passer and a top running threat for more than a season or two.  RGIII looked like he would be that guy.  Hoping Jackson avoids injury and keeps making things fun in the NFL (and hell for the Browns and Steelers).

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Yes.  All true and great for BAL.  But if he wasn't also passing well, he would just be Michael Vick 2.0.  No future in that.  Nobody has ever successfully been a top-10 passer and a top running threat for more than a season or two.  RGIII looked like he would be that guy.  Hoping Jackson avoids injury and keeps making things fun in the NFL (and hell for the Browns and Steelers).

Lamar graded out as a pretty good passer coming out of college, and the way he runs is impressive in that he never seems to take big hits.  That might just be a sustainable skillset.  And he's paired with the absolute PERFECT Head Coach and franchise, it seems.  Must be very exciting for Ravens fans to watch.  

Granted, lots of torn ACL's come on non-contact plays.  That's the one concern there.  Just the mere fact that a QB is running around a lot puts him at risk even if he's not taking shots.  

I actually think Josh Allen is a poor man's Cam Newton.  Not Lamar Jackson.

Jackson has a chance to be the type of player younger players get compared to.  But it's only a chance, I'm not sold on him as a passer and I feel running QBs have a much shorter shelf life.  Allen actually scares me in this regard more than Jackson.  Allen takes enormous hits every week.

Baker is Favre type. He could be great but seriously flawed.

Rosen. What can you say?  He might be a complete bust but I can't think of two worse situations he could be in - with the possible exception of the Redskins.

Sam. I'm biased but damn, I love the kid's game. He has the pocket presence and mobility you need but is a classic pocket passer that can play for years and years.  If we were redoing the 2018 Draft, I'd still pick him first. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Remember when people here thought John Harbaugh was imminently about to get fired and actually debated the merits of hiring him in that instance?  Hilarity.  Dude won a Super Bowl with Joe Flacco as his QB, and is now turning a late 1st round QB into one of the best in the game.  

You are all over the place little fella. Jackson is one of the best in the game now?

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  It's almost as if the remaining Macc supporters treat the trade-up and Darnold as a sign Macc was actually a decent GM rather than what it was:  A good trade (executed by Heimerdinger) that led to some fortunate circumstances.

The fact that Macc drafted an old project DT with the very next pick after taking Darnold was proof positive he never had a clue how to build around a franchise QB even if he stumbled into one.  

It was an exrtremely risky trade that as of now has worked out in large part due to Gettleman.

If QB went 1 / 2, we'd have taken Allen or Rosen at 3 when we could've gotten either at 6.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CTM said:

Who cares that Jackson has played really well over 5 games. Darnold just had a great half! 1/2 > 5

If you add up the score of all the games Darnold has played, the Jets would be 2 and 0. Just saying. lol.....

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Jackson = poor man's Cam Newton, injury waiting to happen

18 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

In what ways, exactly?

Actually just did some dirty rates using data from PFR - looks like their career numbers at this point are similar, but when you isolate just Jackson's 2019 season, he's far ahead of Cam's career averages (including his MVP season). This is more in line with my initial thought which was that I've never seen Cam be as electric or play as well as Jackson has this season, and they are inherently different personalities, so why the heck would you call Jackson a poor man's Cam. 

If anything, Jackson is taking that second year leap that you've been yearning for Baker to take! \\:D/

image.thumb.png.f8dab0de765d385b318e51b56c5ca83b.png

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think Mac knew Cleveland was taking Baker. I actually thought there was no way they wouldn't  take Darnold but they took Baker which really surprised me not because of his talent level, it was his maturity  level which Darnold and just about all the others showed a higher level. 

Indeed I never thought Darnold would be available so I really didn't give him any serious consideration.

But I for one was thinking that Baker would be a better fit because Darnold was so young!

And let's face it the Jets have a real history of either ruining or under-developing QBs.  

Whether it is permitting the Jets OL to rot on the vine like rotting garbage or not drafting quality skill position players for over a decade, the Jets have NOT helped their QBs, so I was adverse for this reason for picking Darnold.

But having moved on from Todd Bolwes, Bates and the Jets at least giving a half of a nod to offense I am happy to be a Sam Fan ..... :) 

10 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Actually just did some dirty rates using data from PFR - looks like their career numbers at this point are similar, but when you isolate just Jackson's 2019 season, he's far ahead of Cam's career averages (including his MVP season). This is more in line with my initial thought which was that I've never seen Cam be as electric or play as well as Jackson has this season, and they are inherently different personalities, so why the heck would you call Jackson a poor man's Cam. 

If anything, Jackson is taking that second year leap that you've been yearning for Baker to take! \\:D/

image.thumb.png.f8dab0de765d385b318e51b56c5ca83b.png

Good post, this comparison is interesting. Thanks for putting in the effort to look this up and share it..

I agree with what you said about Jackson and Newton (and Mayfield lol). I've said a few times Jackson looks like he's the guy taking that "leap". My comments in this thread about these QBs weren't meant to reflect my feelings about them though. They were what I expected people to say about them here, hence the 'poor man's Newton " comment. Now that I think about it, I think the guy I actually heard that Newton comparison with was Allen. Not that I agree with that one either.

• Thumb Down 1

On 10/16/2019 at 11:02 PM, 14 in Green said:

It's incredible.

Darnold had a great game on Sunday, and ever since it ended, people can't go a few hours without starting a thread that knocks the other 4 Qbs, or proclaims Darnold their unquestioned cream of the crop. It's become beyond boring. I'm going to sit this one out as Sammy gets praised and we learn....

maybe it's because he is better than the other 4 guys?  when was the last time the jets actually ran a good 2 minute drill and ended up with a td?  when was the last time the jets offense put up points after being scored on?  and dallas isn't a bad team.  we also saw similar flashes last season.  there are some things the coaches can't teach and darnold seems to have those qualities.  and this doesn't take away from allen/mayfield/jackson/rosen.  jackson seems to be the real deal and he's on a team that will keep him from running too much.  allen is also good for a team that relies mainly on the defense and the occassional big play from the offense.  the other two have a ways to go.

there was no chance Sam would be there

I was torn between Rosen & Baker (d**shbag vs midget)

Thought Allen would bust

Didn't even think about Lamar as all of the "experts" had him way low

---

analysts was telling me to take Rosen at 3 if they were both available ... but my heart was wanting Baker

---

how the f*ck Sam was still there i'll never know ... but to honor the unknown God-like beast who made it happen ... the night before game-days,  I sure as $h*t dance around in my jock strap with nothing else but cleats and a Batman mask on waving a pentagram with burning candles in one hand and a photo of Sarah Jessica Parker's face superimposed onto the head of a photo of Secretariat & making out with Suzie Kolber as the jockey  in my other hand!

• Upvote 1

On 10/17/2019 at 5:02 AM, 14 in Green said:

It's incredible.

Alol this

• Upvote 1

On 10/17/2019 at 9:04 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

I have seen this Mile Heimerdinger rumor for some time now and have never seen proof of this. Did someone on the Colts say he did this and did CJ say he gave Mike the authority to consummate a trade? Mac was a bad GM but I don't  think CJ ever delegated authority  to someone else to trade away draft picks. 

6 hours ago, ljr said:

there was no chance Sam would be there

I was torn between Rosen & Baker (d**shbag vs midget)

Thought Allen would bust

Didn't even think about Lamar as all of the "experts" had him way low

---

analysts was telling me to take Rosen at 3 if they were both available ... but my heart was wanting Baker

---

how the f*ck Sam was still there i'll never know ... but to honor the unknown God-like beast who made it happen ... the night before game-days,  I sure as $h*t dance around in my jock strap with nothing else but cleats and a Batman mask on waving a pentagram with burning candles in one hand and a photo of Sarah Jessica Parker's face superimposed onto the head of a photo of Secretariat & making out with Suzie Kolber as the jockey  in my other hand!

Dude, you need to work on your  fantasies. 

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2019 at 9:20 PM, 14 in Green said:

Good post, this comparison is interesting. Thanks for putting in the effort to look this up and share it..

I agree with what you said about Jackson and Newton (and Mayfield lol). I've said a few times Jackson looks like he's the guy taking that "leap". My comments in this thread about these QBs weren't meant to reflect my feelings about them though. They were what I expected people to say about them here, hence the 'poor man's Newton " comment. Now that I think about it, I think the guy I actually heard that Newton comparison with was Allen. Not that I agree with that one either.

I have Jackson as my bench QB in one of my FFL. Had a blow up game against the Fins on my bench, started him the next week which cost me a game, since then, nothing to talk about really. I know you can't  use this a a measure if he is going to be good or not bit it's a good measure of his production