Biggest Jets win in your lifetime?

Rhg1084

I wasn’t around for the Super Bowl so other than that what was the biggest Jets win in your lifetime you could remember? I think the 2011 playoff upset over the Pats is by far the biggest win in my tenure as a fan. Just an awesome game and remember how pumped up I was after that game. I thought for sure we were winning the super bowl. Of course in typical Jets fashion they didn’t even show up till the 2nd half the following week. Hope the jets can beat the Pats this week! 

Geez...

I gotta go with the 1982 WC win at the Bengals. Got in a hole early but came back with a vengeance. (Without Klecko no less)

McNeil optionTD pass to Gaffney was epicness when I was 12 years old. I loved that team...

And it sent Chris "Easter Island Head" Collinsworth home weeping, which was glorious.

• Sympathy 1

Lol big wins.

No AFC CG wins and no Super Bowls in my lifetime. 

So no big wins that mattered.

Monday night miracle was great but it was just a regular season game. Even our few playoff wins were nice in the moment. But none were big wins on the proper BIG WIN scale.

• Thumb Down 1

• Beating the Bills in 98 to clinch the AFC East for the first time
  • 98 Divisional round win over Jags
  • 2002 -- routing the Packers to clinch the division
  • 41-0 over the Colts in the Wild Card Round (best win I was at)
  • 2009 beating the Pats at home in Rex's first home game. Loudest I've ever heard Giants Stadium
  • Beating Chargers in 2009 Divisional Round
  • Beating the Pats in 2010 Divisional Round -- probably the most cathartic and significant on the list
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:
  • Beating he Bills in 98 to clinch the AFC East for the first time
  • 2009 beating the Pats at home in Rex's first home game. Loudest I've ever heard Giants Stadium
  • Beating the Pats in 2010 Divisional Round -- probably the most cathartic and significant on the list

I think you nailed the first 3. I wouldn't even quibble with the order.

I will give honorable mentions to the 2 big wins of the 1981 season.

Todd to Barkum vs Miami at Shea.  

The playoff clincher vs Lynn Dickey and the Green Bay Packers. The fans rushed the field and tore down the goal posts after the game.  That was for just making the Wild Card!  (we shall not mentioned what happened the next week in this thread).

• Sympathy 1

I'm partial to the '98 Jaguars playoff win and '02 Colts playoff win, as I was lucky enough to be at both games.  I had no idea at the time that those would be the last two home playoff games the Jets would play in up to the present.  And the previous home playoff game was the year I was born, 1986.  Incredible.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:
  • Beating he Bills in 98 to clinch the AFC East for the first time

Great choices.  Also lloved the win over the Packers at Shea when they tore the goal posts down and carried them out into the parking lot on their shoulders.  

Not s huge game but one I loved was the win over Keyshawn's Bucanerers with Chrebet and the flashlight as the team  focus that week.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Icer said:

The 2011 Divisional game in New England for sure.

I wasn't at that game but this was it for sure!  There were ZERO expectations that the Jets could win up there.  The Jets were other worldly that day and Rex put together the gameplay of his life.  In fact, he used two completely different game plans, one for each half.  The Pats made adjustments at half-time based on what the Jets were doing and then the Jets came out looking like an entirely different defense.

In terms of games I've attended, the biggest wins were...

1. 1986 when the Jets beat Miami in OT, 51-45.  O'Brien vs. Marino.  I was 12 and this game made me a Jets fan for life.

2. 1998 beating Jacksonville in the playoffs to go to the AFCCG vs. Denver

3. 2009 beating San Diego in the playoffs to go to the AFCCG vs. Indy

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm partial to the '98 Jaguars playoff win and '02 Colts playoff win, as I was lucky enough to be at both games.  I had no idea at the time that those would be the last two home playoff games the Jets would play in up to the present.  And the previous home playoff game was the year I was born, 1986.  Incredible.  

Wow you’re young to be such a cynical Jets fan. Accelerated learner.

• Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

That's NOT a list of big wins. That's a laughingstock of a team trying to make it sound like they have important, big wins in their history. The Jets as an organization have ONE big win in their history, that is the SB III win. The Jets, unfortunately, are not a team with a storied history. They are a team that had managed to do nearly EVERYTHING wrong for over 50 years. It's a very sad state of affairs.

22 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

That's a good list.  I go back to '81 as a little kid do I'd add '81 over GB to get us to the playoffs, 82 1st and 2nd Rd playoff wins, 85 vs Cleveland to get us back to the playoffs, 91 at Miami.

From your list I was lucky enough to attend all of those games except SD and an underrated game was clinching the division at Buffalo.  That was so much fun, not quite as fun as NE 2010 but kind of close.  A week earlier I was in Miami when we beat them to clinch a playoff spot.  I went from sweating Sunday night in Miami to freezing 6 days later on a Saturday afternoon in orchard Park- those were 2 of the best games in our history.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

That's NOT a list of big wins. That's a laughingstock of a team trying to make it sound like they have important, big wins in their history. The Jets as an organization have ONE big win in their history, that is the SB III win. The Jets, unfortunately, are not a team with a storied history. They are a team that had managed to do nearly EVERYTHING wrong for over 50 years. It's a very sad state of affairs.

I mean, it's all relative. Obviously any moron can point out that we've only won the Super Bowl once. Those are the biggest Jets wins I've experienced as a fan.

For me the biggest Jets win was beating the #1 seed Patriots at Gillette Stadium, on January 16th, 2011, in the divisional playoffs, and what made it even better was a week before that colossal Jets win they beat Peyton  Manning's defending AFC Champion Colts on the road in the Wild Card round of the playoffs. Those two wins in a row I experienced as a Jets fan were the BEST OF TIMES! I was proud of that team and my brash head coach, Rex Ryan. I can't wait to feel like that again, and hopefully we get a taste of things to come Monday night. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

A little simplistic to say only SB wins are “big wins.” We maybe haven’t had lots of success over the years but make no mistake this is a storied franchise.

Really disappoints me to hear some fans say if a season doesn’t end with a ring it is a failure. It completely misses the main point of sports specifically and entertainment in general, not to mention the camaraderie (commisery?) with other fans. Why do we watch if 97% of all teams each year are failures?

• Upvote 1

On 10/16/2019 at 11:37 PM, Thai Jet said:

Real easy call. Super Bowl III against the Colts with Joe Willie, Matt Snell and that stifling Jets D. Thought for sure that would be the 1st of many SB wins. Still a work in progress.

I can't argue with you on that, but I was at the AFC Championship game against the Oakland Raiders before the Superbowl, and that was a dogfight until the bitter end.  For me, that was as big a game as the Superbowl was.

I was only 10 years old at the time, so as an adult, it had to be beating the Patriots in the playoffs in their home stadium with Tom Brady at the helm and Bellicheck as the head coach. The feeling after the game that i had was the best.

On 10/17/2019 at 9:10 AM, UntouchableCrew said:

I would add the comeback win over Meshawn and the bucs with Chrebet scoring the game winning td in 2000 to your list

2 hours ago, jgb said:

A little simplistic to say only SB wins are “big wins.” We maybe haven’t had lots of success over the years but make no mistake this is a storied franchise.

Really disappoints me to hear some fans say if a season doesn’t end with a ring it is a failure. It completely misses the main point of sports specifically and entertainment in general, no to mention the camaraderie (commisery?) with other fans. Why do we watch if 97% of all teams each year are failures?

I agree 100%!  Forgive me for getting too deep, but I feel you need distractions to get through life.  Sometimes a distraction will allow you to focus on something else than a death, an illness, an emotional or personal problem.  Sometimes life is fine, but boredom sets in and you need something else to help you through it all.

For me, the Jets have always been a great distraction for me, not because my life is bad (because its not), but because I get joy from following this team and rooting for them.  The fact that the Jets organization has struggled so much over the years, reminds me of the struggle of life.  I feel that the Jets struggle in many of the same ways that human beings struggle, and things don't always go the way it should or the way you want.

• Upvote 1