Jetsfan80

Demaryus Thomas calls Patriots trade "insulting"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001066469/article/demaryius-thomas-calls-patriots-trade-insulting

Demaryius Thomas calls Patriots trade 'insulting'

Print
  • 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Oct. 17, 2019 at 08:29 a.m.

Question for the gallery: Can a bout be defined as a Revenge Game if a player never actually played a regular season game for the opponent?

This is the situation we sit with New York Jets veteran receiver Demaryius Thomas. The 31-year-old wideout signed a deal with the New England Patriots in the offseason, was released during final roster cuts on Aug. 31, re-signed with the Pats on Sept. 2, was inactive Week 1 due to a hamstring injury and finally traded to New York on Sept. 10. The Jets and Pats face off Monday night.

"It was insulting, for sure," Thomas told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News Wednesday about the machinations of his exit from New England. "Once I got cut (on August 31), I could have just come here (to the Jets) and not stayed there and re-sign. When they re-signed me, I was thinking that I was good. Two weeks later, I was gone. So, it's like, 'Why did I waste my time?' Because at the end of the day, it was kind of a waste of time for me."

The Patriots traded Thomas because they planned to upgrade with Antonio Brown. The move ended in disaster. Now New England is dealing with injuries to the position.

Thomas wasn't angry with the Patriots' business approach but didn't appreciate how Bill Belichick dealt with the situation.

"It was disrespectful to me," Thomas said. "Like, you know, you could trust me and I could trust you. You told me when you cut me at the (final) cut, sit around you'll bring me back. And I stayed. I could have easily become a Jet once I got cut.... I could have been here the next day after I got released. But I chose to stay."

Perhaps the funny part for Thomas in hindsight is the reason for trading Thomas was the Brown addition left too many mouths to feed. Now the Pats are scrambling to fill the WR corps.

"Coach (Belichick) came up to me and was like, 'Uh, we got too many guys. We can't get the ball around enough and we're going to trade you to the Jets,'" Thomas said. "And that was that.... Ain't no reason to yell. They've won championships without me. I was only trying to be a part of something that was going to be good when I was there... They're doing a hell of a job."

The Patriots' cold, business approach is nothing new. Some appreciate that no player is special; others don't care for it much. The world spins. Day falls. Night rises. We do it all again.

Thomas now gets to face the team he spent the summer with but didn't actually play a real game for. With the Jets looking friskier with Sam Darnold back, perhaps Thomas can get some modicum of payback for the perceived two-week shenanigans with a good game against a New England defense that is one of the best in the NFL.

• Upvote 4

He really misses Brady. I don’t blame him. Everyone likes a good massage with a happy ending.

Edit for those that neg repped me

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Butt Fumble 3

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He's been around long enough to know it's a business. Wouldn't mind seeing him go off Monday night to stick it to them though.

Yep.  And he definitely understood that based on what he stated in the rest of the article.  Both are true at the same time:  The NFL is a cruel business, and the Patriots are also a$$holes who have figured out how to cheat their way to the top and in the process get rid of players with cold-blooded mercilessness.  

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Team archer said:

He wasnt mad being traded to the jets..he was mad that he was cut resigned and then traded. 

And wouldnt have signed if he had a clue they would trade him.  As he said he could have just signed here

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, CurtMart said:

He really misses Brady. I don’t blame him. 

The poor mans Sam Darnold?

• Haha 2

Interesting how he said he could have been a Jet the next day after NE cut him. Maybe JD at least made the effort. Needs to work on the pitch. 

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Interesting how he said he could have been a Jet the next day after NE cut him. Maybe JD at least made the effort. Needs to work on the pitch. 

He coulda been a Jet, or whatever Team he wanted for that matter. Plus, it was after preseason while we still had Enunwa, Crowder and Robbie. 
what he’s upset about IMO is that he shoulda been in control of his destination rather than trusting the Pats after resigning him and then being traded. Understandable. 

would he be here if not traded to us?  We certainly had a need and JD I’m sure would have made a pitch for his services (and he may have  Done this after being cut initially...who knows?). It’d be an interesting question to ask JD

49 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Trading somebody to the Jets is cruel. 

So is letting you be the first in line at a all you can eat buffet.B)

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Isn't the difference that if he was on a roster on the first day of the season his salary would have been guaranteed or something like that?

10 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

So is letting you be the first in line at a all you can eat buffet.B)

It’s all in the title pal! 

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Trading somebody to the Jets is cruel. 

Especially when you're a WR and their QB has mono. 

30 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Agent could have asked around and gotten a better deal elsewhere

2 hours ago, Team archer said:

He wasnt mad being traded to the jets..he was mad that he was cut resigned and then traded. 

Yep.  Hence why the article's title didn't include Jets in it. 

2 hours ago, Team archer said:

Yup.  But thats not as good a headline as calling a trade to Jets insulting.

• Haha 2

He should talk to Sam about it, so Sam can throw him 3 TD catches.

I have watched this guy's career more than most of you.  He used to be able to bust games open with big play ability.

He has made a few grabs for the Jets.  Adding a 3 or 4 catch game stat line.  What Jordy did for the Raiders last season.. best case scenario.   It's a positive so far.

But the crushing drops can appear at any time with him.  And they come in bunches.  Consider yourselves warned...

Thomas was a good grab by JD and Gase. He knows Gase's system and can do similar things that Quincy could do. 

He's also a really good red zone target for Sam. 

7 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

He coulda been a Jet, or whatever Team he wanted for that matter. Plus, it was after preseason while we still had Enunwa, Crowder and Robbie. 
what he’s upset about IMO is that he shoulda been in control of his destination rather than trusting the Pats after resigning him and then being traded. Understandable. 

would he be here if not traded to us?  We certainly had a need and JD I’m sure would have made a pitch for his services (and he may have  Done this after being cut initially...who knows?). It’d be an interesting question to ask JD

Having Enuwa, Crowder and Robbie should not stop anyone from adding a talented veteran receiver, especially with the knowledge that Herndon was going to miss the first four games (now more).

Oh, and BTW, watching the Cowboy game film - Bell was covered every play out of the backfield.  Bell was an effective receiver on the Steelers because they had Antonio Brown, JuJu (before him Martavis Bryant) and Jesse James (before him Heath Miller) drawing attention.  Without a TE threat Gase should (have been) be more creative with Bell's routes.

Thomas looks like he's got something left in the tank. I would to see him have a big game and stick it to BB and Co.

Belichick would trade his mother if she asked for a new contract 3 years into a 4 year deal

On 10/17/2019 at 6:38 AM, Team archer said:

Right. Veteran players know when it's 'a business' and when they are being unnecessarily jerked around. Now, he got hurt, so in this case I don't think he can really complain. I mean, if they sign you to bring you back to the team and you can't contribute youre just taking up a roster spot. But I get his thinking. I guess. 

Anyway, with this kind of game you get every player trying to get every possible motivational factor to amp up his team to win the game. Everyone starts remembering all the little slights over the course of their careers from the opposing players. 

On 10/17/2019 at 9:23 AM, JetsFanatic said:

Glad to have Thomas. He is a veteran receiver that really helps the offense. Nice replacement for Enunwa.

Even at his age he's better than Enunwa.

Team is upgraded with him.