Chuma Edoga

CTJetsFan

11 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Went back and watched the game to see how Edoga did after reading that Lawrence had no hits on Sam. We can kill Macc for a lot of things, but this may turn out to be one of his best picks (besides Sam).

This kid has GREAT feet and can get to the 2nd level faster than most OTs.

In watching him, there were no "WTF is he doing?" plays you'd expect from a rookie. I'd say maybe 4 or 5 snaps where he "could've done a little better". Many times he'd mirror Lawrence deep and Sam would have the presence to step up a 1/2 step and all was well. What was also interesting was that it wasn't until the last drive did they line up a TE to his side to give him help.

Another observation was that Shell didn't play bad when he cam in for Beachum. Had one bad play where he blocked inside and gave up a sack.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but the Jets used a FB on one play during the last drive. The FB was - Jonotthan Harrison

I'm cautiously optimistic and I'm having flashbacks to another mid-round OT that the Jets took who ended up manning the LT spot for years, Jason Fabini.  I remember that Draft and thinking that the Jets waited too long to get an OT.  Fabini was rated something like the 6th or 7th OT that year.  He ended up starting at LT for several years.

If Edoga can grow into a better than average LT (and the Jets have 11 more games to really evaluate this) then that totally changes the calculus for this upcoming Draft IMO.  We all want the Jets to hit OLine early and often in the 2020 Draft but not having a blatant NEED at LT really helps.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm cautiously optimistic and I'm having flashbacks to another mid-round OT that the Jets took who ended up manning the LT spot for years, Jason Fabini.  I remember that Draft and thinking that the Jets waited too long to get an OT.  Fabini was rated something like the 6th or 7th OT that year.  He ended up starting at LT for several years.

If Edoga can grow into a better than average LT (and the Jets have 11 more games to really evaluate this) then that totally changes the calculus for this upcoming Draft IMO.  We all want the Jets to hit OLine early and often in the 2020 Draft but not having a blatant NEED at LT really helps.

For some reason I am thinking that Fabini was a RT, but I get your point.

Edoga has been playing on the right side as well and, even with Beachum hurt, I'm not sure I'd move him over mid-season. I don't recall how many reps he might have had at LT during the preseason. It might be best to leave Shell at LT but I'll trust the coaches on that.

9 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

For some reason I am thinking that Fabini was a RT, but I get your point.

Edoga has been playing on the right side as well and, even with Beachum hurt, I'm not sure I'd move him over mid-season. I don't recall how many reps he might have had at LT during the preseason. It might be best to leave Shell at LT but I'll trust the coaches on that.

Agreed on Edoga and Shell, although I think Edoga has the better feet to pass protect on the blindside at LT.  We'll see what the coaches think but as I said in another thread Edoga, Shell and Alex Lewis might be some key pieces in a rebuild on the OLine, along with Harrison.  I could see two of those guys starting and two as high-quality backups.

Regarding Fabini, he was mostly LT for the Jets.  Looks like he started at RT as a rookie then quickly moved to LT.  They also list him as simply a T possibly meaning he ended up playing both.  Seemed to transition back to RT and RG at the end of his career before retirement.

I just remember him as one of the first examples (to me at least) of a guy being taken in the 4th Round and becoming a good, starting LT.  I said to myself, "maybe you actually can find these guys outside of Round 1."

Fabini was a staple on the OLine in those Parcells-Groh-Herm years with Testaverde and Pennington, blocking for Curtis Martin.  Check out those 5 seasons from 2000 to 2004....never missed a game.

910227380_ScreenShot2019-10-16at9_31_29AM.png.af0caae426fcb9e394f483a9495910e8.png

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Agreed on Edoga and Shell, although I think Edoga has the better feet to pass protect on the blindside at LT.  We'll see what the coaches think but as I said in another thread Edoga, Shell and Alex Lewis might be some key pieces in a rebuild on the OLine, along with Harrison.  I could see two of those guys starting and two as high-quality backups.

Regarding Fabini, he was mostly LT for the Jets.  Looks like he started at RT as a rookie then quickly moved to LT.  They also list him as simply a T possibly meaning he ended up playing both.  Seemed to transition back to RT and RG at the end of his career before retirement.

I just remember him as one of the first examples (to me at least) of a guy being taken in the 4th Round and becoming a good, starting LT.  I said to myself, "maybe you can find these guys outside of Round 1."

Fabinin was a staple on the OLine in those Parcells-Groh-Herm years with Testaverde and Pennington, blocking for Curtis Martin.  Check out those 5 seasons from 2000 to 2004....never missed a game.

910227380_ScreenShot2019-10-16at9_31_29AM.png.af0caae426fcb9e394f483a9495910e8.png

I felt the same way about Fabini when he was drafted.

No doubt Edoga has the feet/movement for LT. Lewis has shown very well too. Injuries have been his biggest issue thus far in his career. I think Harrison has a role here, but it may be as interior depth. I can see Shell moving to RT if Edoga goes to the left.

It'll be nice knowing we have some pieces in place on the line going into the offseason.

52 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Went back and watched the game to see how Edoga did after reading that Lawrence had no hits on Sam. We can kill Macc for a lot of things, but this may turn out to be one of his best picks (besides Sam).

In watching him, there were no "WTF is he doing?" plays you'd expect from a rookie. I'd say maybe 4 or 5 snaps where he "could've done a little better". Many times he'd mirror Lawrence deep and Sam would have the presence to step up a 1/2 step and all was well. What was also interesting was that it wasn't until the last drive did they line up a TE to his side to give him help.

Another observation was that Shell didn't play bad when he cam in for Beachum. Had one bad play where he blocked inside and gave up a sack.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but the Jets used a FB on one play during the last drive. The FB was - Jonotthan Harrison

Well, Chuma developing and being a mainstay at either T position for us will make me feel better about the fact that he is here due to the Bridgewater trade and even though with Teddy we may have won games in the last 3 we lost, long term that is not going to help like Olineman will for our future. We know with Darnold on the team Teddy would have to be a backup and as we see he wants to and should be a starter somwhere else. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Good to hear, but the reality is that Sam is going to make a lot of OL look way better than they are. Which is fine. 

Darnold is as good as it gets when it comes moving around in the pocket to buy an extra split second to find an open WR. There were plenty of plays last week where Darnold made a play that would have been sack for Falk. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

if that's the case (and we sure hope it is) then mac's last draft may turn out to be pretty good.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

Now THIS is the kind of stuff I like to see!  Let's hope this kid works out!!

and what is the deal with Harrison?  he should be playing for Kalil IMO.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Good to hear, but the reality is that Sam is going to make a lot of OL look way better than they are. Which is fine. 

Darnold is as good as it gets when it comes moving around in the pocket to buy an extra split second to find an open WR. There were plenty of plays last week where Darnold made a play that would have been sack for Falk. 

His pocket presence/sense/awareness reminds me of Big Ben.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Seems to be coming along well. Hopefully he continues to trend up

Interesting that he is showing some pretty good cut ups from the Eagles game.  Consensus was that he had a pretty rough first game. Would be great to know we have one or two slots on the OL nailed down heading into next year.

• Upvote 2

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Agree.

Did you hear Gase's presser today?  He spent 1-2 minutes talking about how much he likes Lewis.

Had it going on my app on the phone at work, but then someone called me and I missed it.  Folks I work with should know by now to leave me alone while Gase is speaking or any other Jets news is breaking.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2