Let's go Yankees

Maxman

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No I'm not.

Yankee fans spew the same nonsense about George spending on players when George passed the cost down to the fan, not his pocket book

Not a straw man argument, it is what it is.  They moved the needle to far.  Now they have more of a budget.  Its still at the top of the league but how does that mean winning isnt a priority? 

Youre seriously saying taking on the players they had, the players and contracts they traded and are paying for, what theyll have to shell out for players on the roster, that theyre not trying to win now?  Because its not that they weren't good enough to win, its just simply winning is not a priority, they're just not trying?  Every move they made was about winning but they came up short, lost to a better team, a better, more complete and constructed team.  

This is such utter nonsense, I don't know where to begin.

Prices of hot dogs have nothing tondo with this discussion. Even if it did, your "point" falls flat in the face of the fact that prices to attend a game now are higher under Hal than they ever were under George.

They are trying to win. But they are only trying to win enough to give you hope and sell you tickets. But that extra mile that George was willing to risk, Hal is simply unwilling to take. 

When the starting rotatio. was in shambles, nothing was done. We were told that it would have coat too much to sign Keuchel, which was total nonsense. No elite starter acquired. Houston already had two, and they still went out and got Greinke. They gambled. We didn't. You name it: Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander, Gerritt Cole, Chris Sale. All traded while the Yankees hug their prospects like Clint Frazier, who they also then shaft. And by the way, the Red Sox acquired Sale for Yoan Moncada, another guy the Yankees simply passed on to save money. They should never be outspent, but they are. Boston invested $60 million more than them last year and what happened. Yankees got under the tax threshold to "reset", then didn't spend it again except on junk.

You can drone on and on about George's spending and beer prices, but the bottom line is that being a Yankee fan was a lot more fun when he was here winning 7 World Series. It shouldn't be that hard to understand that Hal has accomplished absolutely nothing since he took over.

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

You're speaking about the success of the player who was given a monster deal. I'm talking about the capacity of specific teams to make such deals over and over again based on the depth of their treasure chest and not blink an eye. Everyone knows baseball is not a level playing field. The fact that the regular season is utterly tedious despite the attempt to juice the ball and make it a home run derby is another issue. I'm always struck by the fact that Yankee fans can turn around and lambaste the Patriots for being a corrupt dynasty. What the Patriots have done, even with their lack of ethics, is far more impressive than the buy-an-all-star team Yankees. I actually appreciate when smaller market teams disrupt the cash machine paradigm. It's the only thing that gives MLB a vestige of respectability.

Lol. Parity in MLB has been proven time again far superior to other leagues. The Yankees for their spending in the past decade have watched the teams like the Astros and Royals win it all.

To argue that the NFL is a more level playing field is ludicrous. Especially as a Jets fan you should know better. What's a better model next? The NBA? ROFLMAO.

27 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

This is such utter nonsense, I don't know where to begin.

Prices of hot dogs have nothing tondo with this discussion. Even if it did, your "point" falls flat in the face of the fact that prices to attend a game now are higher under Hal than they ever were under George.

They are trying to win. But they are only trying to win enough to give you hope and sell you tickets. But that extra mile that George was willing to risk, Hal is simply unwilling to take. 

When the starting rotatio. was in shambles, nothing was done. We were told that it would have coat too much to sign Keuchel, which was total nonsense. No elite starter acquired. Houston already had two, and they still went out and got Greinke. They gambled. We didn't. You name it: Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander, Gerritt Cole, Chris Sale. All traded while the Yankees hug their prospects like Clint Frazier, who they also then shaft. And by the way, the Red Sox acquired Sale for Yoan Moncada, another guy the Yankees simply passed on to save money. They should never be outspent, but they are. Boston invested $60 million more than them last year and what happened. Yankees got under the tax threshold to "reset", then didn't spend it again except on junk.

You can drone on and on about George's spending and beer prices, but the bottom line is that being a Yankee fan was a lot more fun when he was here winning 7 World Series. It shouldn't be that hard to understand that Hal has accomplished absolutely nothing since he took over.

They have one of the top two or three payrolls and you're whining they didn't sign a washed up Keuchel?  Nonsense because they didn't develop pitchers, never do, and can't just sign a deGrom type?  Nonsense, because their top of the MLB roster wasn't a clear cut number one payroll, which then would prove to some fans that, hey, we're serious now? 

Typical fan BS, complain when others complain you bought a winner, then complain they didn't spend more to make them more of a contender.  Lol, yeah, the nonsense accusations are hilarious.

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They have one of the top two or three payrolls and you're whining they didn't sign a washed up Keuchel?  Nonsense because they didn't develop pitchers, never do, and can't just sign a deGrom type?  Nonsense, because their top of the MLB roster wasn't a clear cut number one payroll, which then would prove to some fans that, hey, we're serious now? 

Typical fan BS, complain when others complain you bought a winner, then complain they didn't spend more to make them more of a contender.  Lol, yeah, the nonsense accusations are hilarious.

More straw men. You're a waste of time. It's clear that given you have no legitimate argument that you'll stray from the topic until you find something that you think has stuck, but mostly, you're just incoherent. Show me a single link to a time I have ever complained about having a high payroll. You won't, because it has never happened. It's several times now that you're arguing against some theoretical statement that is unrelated and was never actually said. You should think about a life in politics.

4 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

I was at the game last night. It was fun, if you were an Astro’s fan (I am). Yankee lineup scared me every time they were at bat, Astro’s have a slightly better roster and it showed. It seemed like both teams had miserable metrics with RISP and both teams had players in slumps, bad ones. The difference IMO was the small stuff that happened, 4 Yankee errors in one game? The Brantley double play, Judge cutting off that double, Astro’s seemed like they did a bit more of that.

As you Yankee fans know, being in a World Series is fun. See you next year.

Congrats and good luck against the Nats.  A well deserved victory, the better team won.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

We lost the WS in 2015, Yankee fans were just as happy the Mets lost as some Mets fans are that the Astros won last night. 

Speaking for myself, I wasn't.  I was pulling for the Mets, it was a fun October.  Half my extended family members are Mets fans, I wished them no ill will after all the success my team has had.  Same for the Giants, I really don't get the Giant hate we sometimes see on JN.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Jumbo2927 said:

Cole was a 4 ERA guy in Pittsburgh while Andujar ended up being ROY (I know Ohtani won, but he shouldn’t have). There is no guaranty Cole would become this in NY. 

And they could have made the Zack Grienke trade and added payroll but they didnt.  Didnt want to go past the luxury tax or give up the prospects. A front three of Tanaka/Paxton/Severino... meh.  That's not a WS winning front three. And Houston has too many guys who can kill you.  George Steinbrenner would have done whatever it took in July to insure victory.  Hell.  The Yankees always rely on a superior pen to be able to outgun teams after the sixth inning.  Chapman couldn't even get that done.  So they lost.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

More straw men. You're a waste of time. It's clear that given you have no legitimate argument that you'll stray from the topic until you find something that you think has stuck, but mostly, you're just incoherent. Show me a single link to a time I have ever complained about having a high payroll. You won't, because it has never happened. It's several times now that you're arguing against some theoretical statement that is unrelated and was never actually said. You should think about a life in politics.

Straw men, nonsense.  A waste of time.  

Knows the Yankees better than you do

Bye, go cry in your beer with someone else then.  Yankees have a budget and you’re whining they don’t want to win anymore.  Guess they have to operate like the other two three spenders in baseball, what will you do.   lol

49 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Lol. Parity in MLB has been proven time again far superior to other leagues. The Yankees for their spending in the past decade have watched the teams like the Astros and Royals win it all.

To argue that the NFL is a more level playing field is ludicrous. Especially as a Jets fan you should know better. What's a better model next? The NBA? ROFLMAO.

And you're obviously confounding range of teams winning the world series with financial parity. There is no financial parity in MLB at all. Unless you consider the difference between payrolls of around 250 million to 90 million to be equal. The fact that the Yankees have failed despite their enormous advantage financially (along with the Red Sox and Angels and a few others) doesn't mitigate  the point that baseball is a have and have-not system. The luxury tax is the real joke. It hasn't stopped any of the deep pocket teams from doing anything they want. 

4 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

And they could have made the Zack Grienke trade and added payroll but they didnt.  Didnt want to go past the luxury tax or give up the prospects. A front three of Tanaka/Paxton/Severino... meh.  That's not a WS winning front three. And Houston has too many guys who can kill you.  George Steinbrenner would have done whatever it took in July to insure victory.  Hell.  The Yankees always rely to have the superior pen to be able to outgun teams after the sixth inning.  Chapman couldn't even get that done.  So they lost.

That pretty much sums it up.  Cashman’s reluctance to get top line starting pitching finally caught up

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

And you're obviously confounding range of teams winning the world series with financial parity. There is no financial parity in MLB at all. Unless you consider the difference between payrolls of around 250 million to 90 million to be equal. The fact that the Yankees have failed despite their enormous advantage financially (along with the Red Sox and Angels and a few others) doesn't mitigate  the point that baseball is a have and have-not system. The luxury tax is the real joke. It hasn't stopped any of the deep pocket teams from doing anything they want. 

Fun fact: Only two teams are currently over the luxury tax and neither is called the New York Yankees

On 10/20/2019 at 12:30 AM, SAR I said:

I don't like the Yankees approach.  They're built for regular season dominance against weak pitching but clearly just fall apart when some smallball is necessary.  Need to add some slap hitters who aren't swinging for the fences and tending to their launch angles.  A few simple base hits, a Luis Sojo type of role player or two instead of Encarnacion and Sanchez, and we win this ALCS in 4.

SAR I

I've said it like 20 times.

Mike Ford should have been in the post season lineup.   He's been healthy, he's left handed, and his strike out rate for a power hitter is actually pretty good.  Houston did not even have a left handed pitcher on their entire roster.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

And they could have made the Zack Grienke trade and added payroll but they didnt.  Didnt want to go past the luxury tax or give up the prospects. A front three of Tanaka/Paxton/Severino... meh.  That's not a WS winning front three. And Houston has too many guys who can kill you.  George Steinbrenner would have done whatever it took in July to insure victory.  Hell.  The Yankees always rely on a superior pen to be able to outgun teams after the sixth inning.  Chapman couldn't even get that done.  So they lost.

Grienke had a no trade to the Yankees.

He has pretty bad social anxiety disorder, do you really think NY would have been a good fit for him?

Of course it would be nice to be loaded with frontline starters, but I think the whole idea they needed more, more, more is a joke. 

First of all, Cole is the only one of the studs that beat them.  The Astros winning pitchers were Josh James, Cole, Pressly and Osuna.  Game #1 Tanaka outdueled Grienke.  Game #2 Verlander outpitched Paxton, but the game was tied when Verlander left.  Game #3 Cole shut them down, but they had their chances.  Game #5 Paxton outpitched Verlander and game #6 was a bullpen game.  sh*t, in game #4 Grienke gave up 3 hits and 4 walks in 80+ pitches over 4 innings.

The Yankees probably expected to enter the postseason with German and Severino at full strength.  That is a very different staff.  Replace Sabathia with a frontline guy and keep most of the rest the same. They had every opportunity to win that game and considering the nature of the team, they worked the Astros starters pretty well.  They did not have as much timely hitting.

The bottom line is that they lost to a great team.  That was as tough of a 6 game series as you see and the Yanks were pretty shorthanded.

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Of course it would be nice to be loaded with frontline starters, but I think the whole idea they needed more, more, more is a joke. 

First of all, Cole is the only one of the studs that beat them.  The Astros winning pitchers were Josh James, Cole, Pressly and Osuna.  Game #1 Tanaka outdueled Grienke.  Game #2 Verlander outpitched Paxton, but the game was tied when Verlander left.  Game #3 Cole shut them down, but they had their chances.  Game #5 Paxton outpitched Verlander and game #6 was a bullpen game.  sh*t, in game #4 Grienke gave up 3 hits and 4 walks in 80+ pitches over 4 innings.

The Yankees probably expected to enter the postseason with German and Severino at full strength.  That is a very different staff.  Replace Sabathia with a frontline guy and keep most of the rest the same. They had every opportunity to win that game and considering the nature of the team, they worked the Astros starters pretty well.  They did not have as much timely hitting.

The bottom line is that they lost to a great team.  That was as tough of a 6 game series as you see and the Yanks were pretty shorthanded.

You can’t beat the Astros with barely above average starting pitching 

We don’t even have a full postseason rotation 

Trade German and Andujar for Bumgarner and sign a top free agent like  Cole, Wheeler or Strasbourg 

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Trade German and Andujar for Bumgarner and sign a top free agent like  Cole, Wheeler or Strasbourg 

Madbum is a free agent.  Here are the top FA pitchers

Gerrit Cole (29 years old, 7.4 WAR)
Stephen Strasburg (31, 5.7) -- can opt out of 4 years, $100 million remaining on contract
Hyun-Jin Ryu (33, 4.8)
Zack Wheeler (30, 4.7)
Jake Odorizzi (30, 4.3)
Jose Quintana (31, 3.3) -- $11.5 million club option for 2020 ($1 million buyout)
Madison Bumgarner (30, 3.2)
Homer Bailey (34, 2.9)
Michael Pineda (30, 2.7)
Yu Darvish (33, 2.6) -- can opt out of 4 years, $81 million remaining on contract
Kyle Gibson (32, 2.5)
Cole Hamels (36, 2.5)
Adam Wainwright (38, 2.2)
Tanner Roark (33, 2.0)
Wade Miley (33, 2.0)
Brett Anderson (32, 2.0)
Ivan Nova (33, 2.0)
Martin Perez (29, 1.9) -- $7.5 million club option for 2020 ($500,000 buyout

• Upvote 1

Just now, chirorob said:

Madbum is a free agent.  Here are the top FA pitchers

Gerrit Cole (29 years old, 7.4 WAR)
Stephen Strasburg (31, 5.7) -- can opt out of 4 years, $100 million remaining on contract
Hyun-Jin Ryu (33, 4.8)
Zack Wheeler (30, 4.7)
Jake Odorizzi (30, 4.3)
Jose Quintana (31, 3.3) -- $11.5 million club option for 2020 ($1 million buyout)
Madison Bumgarner (30, 3.2)
Homer Bailey (34, 2.9)
Michael Pineda (30, 2.7)
Yu Darvish (33, 2.6) -- can opt out of 4 years, $81 million remaining on contract
Kyle Gibson (32, 2.5)
Cole Hamels (36, 2.5)
Adam Wainwright (38, 2.2)
Tanner Roark (33, 2.0)
Wade Miley (33, 2.0)
Brett Anderson (32, 2.0)
Ivan Nova (33, 2.0)
Martin Perez (29, 1.9) -- $7.5 million club option for 2020 ($500,000 buyout

No excuses.  Way too many good starting pitchers available 

22 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Oh bullsh*t.  German probably pitched as well as Wheeler.  He fell off as the year went on, but it was his first year as a full-time starter.  They control him through 2024 and I think he will remain super cheap next year.  I say you hold on or you end up regretting it, and according to @chirorob 's list Baumgarner is a free agent. 

19 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Absolutely.    And let's be honest, he didn't kill the Yanks in the game they faced him.

Games.  Games. He got the L in game 1 and did not look particularly great in game 4.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Grienke had a no trade to the Yankees.

He has pretty bad social anxiety disorder, do you really think NY would have been a good fit for him?

Gerrity Cole has an era too high.

Grienke has social anxiety that would cause an inability to ask him to wave his no trade clause.

I am willing to wait on the other excuses for saving Hal Steinbrenner money.  There must be some guy with an ERA lower than Bob Tewksbury who was born in a bomb shelter that represents a sure thing.  Pitching is a premium talent risk that comes with a high price... not just in the money department.

On 10/20/2019 at 1:04 AM, SAR I said:

It actually annoying.  Mets fans trying to make tonight about them when it's the last thing on our minds.  I couldn't name 3 Mets if my life depended on it.  No joke.

SAR I

You've never heard of Jake deGrom, Pete Alonso and Robinson Cano?

• Sympathy 2

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

About to be 2019 NL ROY who hit 53 HR this season. I get you’re grieving but ffs do you pay any attention to the MLB?

Sure. I pay attention to the important teams. The playoff contenders.

Do you pay attention to the most insignificant team in the American League?

SAR I