Let's go Yankees

Maxman

27 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

See this is why Yankee Fans are hated. Not all of them, the knowledgeable ones are cool, but guys like this are the reason why you're considered asses. No one is obsessed with you. Its just always special when entitled, elitist, pricks like you get beat and then watch you talk sh*t when you're a loser. Tonight you're a loser. Deal with it.

And yet you can't get the Yankees out of your mouth. You would rather see the Yankees lose than your team win. SAD!

• Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, PS17 said:

On that note, Hal Steinbrenner is kinda terrible. George is rolling in his grave. 

I don't like the Yankees approach.  They're built for regular season dominance against weak pitching but clearly just fall apart when some smallball is necessary.  Need to add some slap hitters who aren't swinging for the fences and tending to their launch angles.  A few simple base hits, a Luis Sojo type of role player or two instead of Encarnacion and Sanchez, and we win this ALCS in 4.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

Just now, SAR I said:

I don't like the Yankees approach.  They're built for regular season dominance against weak pitching but clearly just fall apart when some smallball is necessary.  Need to add some slap hitters who aren't swinging for the fences and tending to their launch angles.  A few simple base hits, a Luis Sojo type of role player or two instead of Encarnacion and Sanchez, and we win this ALCS in 4.

SAR I

An ace would help. Write Cole a blank check. 

• Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Well a true ace is definitely needed. Cashman needs to throw basically everything at Cole but yes we’re so close.

The narrative will be that our pitching was good enough and that's not true.  Because we know going in that our hitting is going to be a problem because playoff pitchers shut down home run swingers, it means we need starting pitching far more than other teams.  We may win 9-6 in the regular season but to win playoff games at 3-2 you need a few shut-down starters.

It'll all be fixed next year.  Hope the weather is warm for the parade.  My Yankee hoodie is much nicer than my Yankee jacket.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

It actually annoying.  Mets fans trying to make tonight about them when it's the last thing on our minds.  I couldn't name 3 Mets if my life depended on it.  No joke.

SAR I

Yet, oddly, you seem to bring up the Mets in dialogue in this board, when they had no piece in the discussion at all, until you bring them up. 

Others appear right, you are that kind of Yankee fan. The kind that makes real Yankee fans, the ones that did not just glom on to the team for vicarious reasons of grandeur, look bad. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

We don't even need to make any roster moves to improve next year.  If the injured players return we're immediately better.  Throw in Cole or another top quality starter and we'll be in the Series next year.  Probably against Washington again.  Boy, that Washington Nationals team is really good. 

I wouldn't know what its like to be a Mets fan in 2020 watching the Yankees and Nationals devour their respective leagues.  Probably going to be hard for them.  I wish they'd stop calling in to WFAN, way too much Mets talk for the amount they contribute to the sport.  Tennis or horse racing might be a better use of the airwaves.

SAR I

Huh? Aren’t you a Jets fan who watched the Patriots and Giants faceoff in 2 Super Bowls?

7 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Hal Steinbrenner hugs his luxury tax savings. Brian Cashman hugs prospects.  Yankees won't win a title until that situation changes.  Don't even follow baseball any more but just from looking at the roster I can see that's still the issue.  

Cole was a 4 ERA guy in Pittsburgh while Andujar ended up being ROY (I know Ohtani won, but he shouldn’t have). There is no guaranty Cole would become this in NY. 

8 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

George was a blithering idiot. The Jeter era was only able to happen because he was thankfully banned from baseball while Gene Michael built a dynasty. And in the 1970s it was Gabe Paul who was able to keep his madness in check. The Steinbrenner you describe is a fairy tale. 

Whatever you want to believe is fine, but the fact remains that George putting winning ahead of annual profits. He understood franchise value. He set the tone for the entire organization that the goal was always to win a championship. And on his watch, they won 7 of them. His sons now have the team, they have won nothing, and there is clearly no one driving that culture any longer. The 2010's will now pass and be the first decade since the 1910's without even a pennant. Hal cares about his annual dividend check. He won't do what it takes to push this very good team over the top to championship level like Houston and Boston consistently do. They are committed to winning it all. This version of the Yankees are not.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, PS17 said:

An ace would help. Write Cole a blank check. 

I get a feeling Cole and Rendon will be Angels next year.

Yanks should sign Corey Dickerson, Zach Wheelet, Tanner Roark (make him a RP) and resign Dellin Betances.

C Sanchez

1B Voit

2B LeMahiue

SS Torres

3B Urshela

LF Dickerson

CF Hicks

RF Judge

DH  Stanton

Bench

Romine (C)

Andujar (2B/1B/DH)

Tauchman (OF)

Maybin (OF)

Estrada (Inf)

SP Tanaka

SP Paxton

SP Severino

SP Wheeler

SP Happ

RP Chapman

RP Britton

RP Ottovino

RP Betances

RP Roark

RP Kahnle

RP Green

Still have ammo for trade deadline deals next year.

41 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

And this is why baseball sucks, among other reasons. No team should be permitted to write a blank check to anyone without consequence. 

What? Besides the luxury tax, baseball contracts are fully guaranteed. There are no consequences to high priced long term contracts? Jacoby Ellsbury, Barry Zito, Gio Stanton, etc etc... happens all the time. No consequences? Come on. Look, if you're not into baseball, that's fine. But don't make criticisms if you have no idea what you're talking about.

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

In what respect?  That the Islanders haven't won a Stanley Cup since the VHS tape was invented?  But, hey, you've got three different arenas to call home and that one great player, that Tavares guy.  So that bodes well for you.

SAR I

Well, at least we know you're completely clueless about the sport of hockey as well.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

The narrative will be that our pitching was good enough and that's not true.  Because we know going in that our hitting is going to be a problem because playoff pitchers shut down home run swingers, it means we need starting pitching far more than other teams.  We may win 9-6 in the regular season but to win playoff games at 3-2 you need a few shut-down starters.

It'll all be fixed next year.  Hope the weather is warm for the parade.  My Yankee hoodie is much nicer than my Yankee jacket.

SAR I

What makes you think it will be fixed? Cashmans been building flawed teams like this for the last 15+ years.  Never gives up prospects for an ace via trade, trades for or signs flawed hitters etc. 

• Upvote 1

Clint Frazier was hitting .285 and .380 with RISP and the Yankees traded for a .225 hitter has-been in Encarnacion, sending Frazier down to the minors.

Can almost guarantee the Yankees wont get an ace this offseason either. Probably wont even give Cole an offer. Cashman will spin it by saying Severino and German are back next year. Somehow, our GM doesnt understand you need an elite ace and that every year at least 1 or 2 starting pitchers will go on IR. Instead we'll throw money at a position player, maybe Didi, who we can easily let walk and replace with Tyler Wade who makes about 400k. Instead of throwing money at an ace, we'll give it to Stanton, Didi, Ellsbury and a guy who pitches in the 7th inning.

This offseason will be telling. Yanks might blow this window if they dont do the right things. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

Lots of whining in this thread. It was a great series. I hope the Astros kick the hell out of the nats.

I was at the game last night. It was fun, if you were an Astro’s fan (I am). Yankee lineup scared me every time they were at bat, Astro’s have a slightly better roster and it showed. It seemed like both teams had miserable metrics with RISP and both teams had players in slumps, bad ones. The difference IMO was the small stuff that happened, 4 Yankee errors in one game? The Brantley double play, Judge cutting off that double, Astro’s seemed like they did a bit more of that.

As you Yankee fans know, being in a World Series is fun. See you next year.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Barton said:

What is Gardners career postseasons batting average? .195? This guy cannot be a starter anymore, Jesus. 

His crying for a hit by pitch in the 9th was telling.  

As pathetic as his bat to the top of the dugout hissy fit over balls and strikes.  

4th outfielder talent who somehow has hung on for years on end.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

Whatever you want to believe is fine, but the fact remains that George putting winning ahead of annual profits. He understood franchise value. He set the tone for the entire organization that the goal was always to win a championship. And on his watch, they won 7 of them. His sons now have the team, they have won nothing, and there is clearly no one driving that culture any longer. The 2010's will now pass and be the first decade since the 1910's without even a pennant. Hal cares about his annual dividend check. He won't do what it takes to push this very good team over the top to championship level like Houston and Boston consistently do. They are committed to winning it all. This version of the Yankees are not.

Yeah, George paid for everything in the eye of Yankee fans.  But somehow Yankee fans didnt notice that ticket prices went through the roof.  Its noble to spend like a drunken sailor and have the tab picked up by the fanbase who at the same time adores you.  Seat prices at the stadium are stupid and fans buy them, suckers born every minute.  

Interesting how the Steinbrenner legacy has been created. 

• Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

I find all these Mets fans acting like the Yankees losing is the greatest thing that’s ever happened to them funny. I get it you hate us but there’s no reason to be bragging, the Mets didn’t even make the postseason and are many years a laughingstock.

Why is this the first thing that too many Yankees fans spew whenever they lose? 

We lost the WS in 2015, Yankee fans were just as happy the Mets lost as some Mets fans are that the Astros won last night.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Correct. They are not built to survive a 7 game series against teams that have good pitching and really know how to play baseball. They can't bunt, can't go first to third, don't have guys willing to shorten up their swings to hit sac flies. The list is endless. The Yankees are built like an over 35 beer league softball team. Give me Torres and LeMahieu. You can keep Sanchez, Stanton, Encarcion.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why is this the first thing that too many Yankees fans spew whenever they lose? 

We lost the WS in 2015, Yankee fans were just as happy the Mets lost as some Mets fans are that the Astros won last night.  

Not me. I was actually happy for the Mets that they made it back. I don’t get jealous of the Mets because there’s no reason to.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, George paid for everything in the eye of Yankee fans.  But somehow Yankee fans didnt notice that ticket prices went through the roof.  Its noble to spend like a drunken sailor and have the tab picked up by the fanbase who at the same time adores you.  Seat prices at the stadium are stupid and fans buy them, suckers born every minute.  

Interesting how the Steinbrenner legacy has been created. 

You're laying out straw man arguments. I'm fully aware how expensive it is to go to a Yankees game. I can spend less to go there than the average Jets game, however. And it's so much more enjoyable.

Again, this is about winning championships. You seem to be entirely missing the point that it's not a priority any longer.

9 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

You're laying out straw man arguments. I'm fully aware how expensive it is to go to a Yankees game. I can spend less to go there than the average Jets game, however. And it's so much more enjoyable.

Again, this is about winning championships. You seem to be entirely missing the point that it's not a priority any longer.

No I'm not.

Yankee fans spew the same nonsense about George spending on players when George passed the cost down to the fan, not his pocket book

Not a straw man argument, it is what it is.  They moved the needle to far.  Now they have more of a budget.  Its still at the top of the league but how does that mean winning isnt a priority? 

Youre seriously saying taking on the players they had, the players and contracts they traded and are paying for, what theyll have to shell out for players on the roster, that theyre not trying to win now?  Because its not that they weren't good enough to win, its just simply winning is not a priority, they're just not trying?  Every move they made was about winning but they came up short, lost to a better team, a better, more complete and constructed team.  

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

What? Besides the luxury tax, baseball contracts are fully guaranteed. There are no consequences to high priced long term contracts? Jacoby Ellsbury, Barry Zito, Gio Stanton, etc etc... happens all the time. No consequences? Come on. Look, if you're not into baseball, that's fine. But don't make criticisms if you have no idea what you're talking about.

You're speaking about the success of the player who was given a monster deal. I'm talking about the capacity of specific teams to make such deals over and over again based on the depth of their treasure chest and not blink an eye. Everyone knows baseball is not a level playing field. The fact that the regular season is utterly tedious despite the attempt to juice the ball and make it a home run derby is another issue. I'm always struck by the fact that Yankee fans can turn around and lambaste the Patriots for being a corrupt dynasty. What the Patriots have done, even with their lack of ethics, is far more impressive than the buy-an-all-star team Yankees. I actually appreciate when smaller market teams disrupt the cash machine paradigm. It's the only thing that gives MLB a vestige of respectability.