Did Darnold open his mouth?

Nixhead

Sam Darnold says Jets can be 'unstoppable as an offense' once Chris Herndon returns

play

Ninkovich laughs at the thought of Jets beating Patriots (2:37)

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jetsquarterback Sam Darnold, not known for bold statements, stepped out of character on Thursday, setting huge expectations for his offense.

"Right now, we're just missing Chris [Herndon]. Once all the guys are back together, I think we're unstoppable as an offense -- or we can be," he said, referencing the injured tight end.

"It's just up to us and how we execute. It's really up to us how many points we score, I think. I think we're capable of so many points. With our offensive line, too, the way they played last game, with the way we've been running the ball and the way they've been protecting, sky's the limit for us."

Darnold's return last week ignited the previously dormant offense. He passed for 338 yards and two touchdowns in the Jets' upset win over the Dallas Cowboys.

Before that, though, the Jets were historically bad. With Darnold sidelined for three games with mononucleosis, they managed only one offensive touchdown. All told, the Jets have five touchdowns from scrimmage through six weeks, the fewest in franchise history. They rank last in nearly every offensive category.

On Monday night, the Jets (1-4) face the New England Patriots (6-0), who lead the NFL in most defensive categories. Herndon (hamstring) is unlikely to play, but he could return the following week.

The Jets really don’t want to give N.E. any kind of motivation for this upcoming game. I can guarantee Belichick is telling his team the Jets are an up and coming team with a young up and coming QB and let’s not give them an inch of breathing room and let them get confident. I’m sure Darnold comments will be the talk of the day at Pats defensive practice tomorrow. Cmon Sam u gotta know that u say 1 thing to a reporter and they are gonna twist it into something else. Your a smart kid but you got to dummy up like Belichick when u talk. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Cmon Sam u gotta know that u say 1 thing to a reporter and they are gonna twist it into something else.

Cimini actually says this and then reports it?  WTF?  

"Theyre" they are going to twist it?  Lol

What a duesch 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

If Baker said it, this forum would be aghast.

Sam said it, so it's all good.

:JustFanStuff:

Also, "unstoppable" would be a hell of an upgrade from "#32 Offense in the NFL".  Sign me up.

Nice story

He said nothing he hasn't said before.  He said the offense can be unstoppable right after he got with Gase and in the preseason.  

Got to watch those pressers ?

And what does this have to do with Mayfield?  

dumb bad robot GIF

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I think Darnold is getting a little giddy here. Lets see if we can move up to 31st in overall offense before talking. If he remains healthy they will score their share of points but the OL is still trash and receivers are so-so. 

Throw EVERY Jet Offensive stat out the window the whole time Luke Falk was somehow in the NFL.  What Darnold did Sunday against Dallas, pretty much torching Houston’s top ranked D end of last year is pretty much going to be the NORM going forward...Watch.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Throw EVERY Jet Offensive stat out the window the whole time Luke Falk was somehow in the NFL.  What Darnold did Sunday against Dallas, pretty much torching Houston’s top ranked D end of last year is pretty much going to be the NORM going forward...Watch.

Yea we'll see. I mean I sure hope so. I don't think people get how good this Pats D has been - historically good. If Darnold can shred them it will be super exiting.