NY Islanders 2019-2020

RobR

Are there enough fans to keep this thread afloat? Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Varhlamov sp? played great tonight when our team as a whole didn't. Wahlstrom has looked good and Hickey has been banished to the AHL.

Go Isles!!!!

• Sympathy 1

21 hours ago, RobR said:

Are there enough fans to keep this thread afloat? Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Varhlamov sp? played great tonight when our team as a whole didn't. Wahlstrom has looked good and Hickey has been banished to the AHL.

Go Isles!!!!

Haven't had a chance to watch much so far this season.  Some Comcast issues that I need to get resolved before I can get access to the package haven't helped.  Hopefully I will get around to watching some Isles hockey this week.

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

Haven't had a chance to watch much so far this season.  Some Comcast issues that I need to get resolved before I can get access to the package haven't helped.  Hopefully I will get around to watching some Isles hockey this week.

Hopefully we can get a few more regulars in here or else it will be the two of us talking back and forth. 

I also have Comcast and bought the package again. If the Isles game is in SD on their normal channels you can use the voice option on the remote. Say "center ice HD beta" and a new screen will pop up leading you to the Isles channel. With that function you get every game in HD.....not sure why they make it so hard to access.

Regarding the Isles, I think it will be impossible to send Wahlstorm down even with the 7 game tryout. He's so much better than the Kneunachels sp? of the world. I've been impressed so far with his play and Trots is giving him the ice time.

On 10/18/2019 at 7:42 PM, RobR said:

Hopefully we can get a few more regulars in here or else it will be the two of us talking back and forth. 

I also have Comcast and bought the package again. If the Isles game is in SD on their normal channels you can use the voice option on the remote. Say "center ice HD beta" and a new screen will pop up leading you to the Isles channel. With that function you get every game in HD.....not sure why they make it so hard to access.

Regarding the Isles, I think it will be impossible to send Wahlstorm down even with the 7 game tryout. He's so much better than the Kneunachels sp? of the world. I've been impressed so far with his play and Trots is giving him the ice time.

5 straight Ws. 

Got my comcast issue straightened out today, in time to catch the end of the game.  Caught the last 5 minutes.  Since I haven't been watching much, really haven't seeh enough of Wahlstrom to have much of an opinion yet.  Now that I have the package working, I will be able to watch more.  Which makes me kind of nervous, we got this winning streak going when I couldn't watch; now that I can I will feel respoinsible if they start to struggle.

17 minutes ago, Lith said:

5 straight Ws. 

Got my comcast issue straightened out today, in time to catch the end of the game.  Caught the last 5 minutes.  Since I haven't been watching much, really haven't seeh enough of Wahlstrom to have much of an opinion yet.  Now that I have the package working, I will be able to watch more.  Which makes me kind of nervous, we got this winning streak going when I couldn't watch; now that I can I will feel respoinsible if they start to struggle.

I've watched almost every game so far and they are a good team. They dominated tonight and both goalies have been good all season. Wahlstrom has it, and I hope they let him work through it. Dalcolle needs to go because he brings nothing. 

*WARNING*     Rangers fan just stopping in for a minute, LOL

You guys are really missing Tavares, huh?

I'm going up to Long Island for the Holidays in about 3 weeks, so I'll finally get to watch some hockey. I just can't get into the Canes games. They started the season strong, but there's just no attachment there for me.

I'm looking forward to some Rangers, Isles/Devils matchups.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Lith said:

Shows the difference a good coach can make. Barry Trotz is taking a team with less talent than the Weigt/ Capuano Isles and has them playing at a much higher level.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

What's ironic is that this is the team that Snow built, almost 100%. Only real addition since then is Varlamov and a few games of Wahlstrom and now Dobson. Just goes too show how important coaching is.

12 hours ago, Lith said:

Shows the difference a good coach can make. Barry Trotz is taking a team with less talent than the Weigt/ Capuano Isles and has them playing at a much higher level.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

Yeah, he's a really good guy to have behind the bench. Why did the Caps let him go? I never understood that.

8 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Your guys are becoming quite the pesky bunch, eh? 

Damn nice run they're on...

If you watched the Isles under Capuano and Weight you can see the philosophical difference in coaching styles. Under the old regime the Isles would let the other team come out of their zone unimpeded, we'd let them go from blue line to blue line unimpeded. We'd basically let them set-up in our zone.

Now we pressure the other team all 200 feet of the ice and if you can't play defense you're not going to play for Trotz. It's one of the reasons we don't miss Tavares because he couldn't/wouldn't play D to save his life. Again, this is basically the same roster as it was before Trotz got here.

25 minutes ago, RobR said:

If you watched the Isles under Capuano and Weight you can see the philosophical difference in coaching styles. Under the old regime the Isles would let the other team come out of their zone unimpeded, we'd let them go from blue line to blue line unimpeded. We'd basically let them set-up in our zone.

Now we pressure the other team all 200 feet of the ice and if you can't play defense you're not going to play for Trotz. It's one of the reasons we don't miss Tavares because he couldn't/wouldn't play D to save his life. Again, this is basically the same roster as it was before Trotz got here.

Great thing about that type of system is that it shocks teams at the start, and as the game goes on it irritates them more and more. They start to feel smothered from the constant pressure, then they get careless and make mistakes.

The players need to buy in though, its not an easy game to play. From what you're saying it sounds like they are though.

9 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Great thing about that type of system is that it shocks teams at the start, and as the game goes on it irritates them more and more. They start to feel smothered from the constant pressure, then they get careless and make mistakes.

The players need to buy in though, its not an easy game to play. From what you're saying it sounds like they are though.

It's exactly what they do and conditioning can't be overlooked when playing that system. It also results in lower ppg and in turn effects players stats, well except the goalies. It's nice to have a third period lead and feel confident, unlike under our last two coaches. We were brutal when it came to holding a lead under those two clowns. 

It's amazing what a new owner/GM/HC can do for a franchise. The new arena will be the cherry on top when we hoist the cup again.

8 minutes ago, RobR said:

It's amazing what a new owner/GM/HC can do for a franchise. The new arena will be the cherry on top when we hoist the cup again.

Ranger fans like me enjoy it when you Islander fans (all 12 of you) start to get chirpy. 

The Devils rivalry is okay, but there's nothing I like better in hockey then watching our two teams butt heads.

Bring it on fish sticks guy! ? We'll see ya down the road...  

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Ranger fans like me enjoy it when you Islander fans (all 12 of you) start to get chirpy. 

The Devils rivalry is okay, but there's nothing I like better in hockey then watching our two teams butt heads.

I don't think many of us get chirpy, at least here. @Lith and I have been talking the Isles on these boards forever but more often with a few more posters, both good and bad.

Quick fact: I hate the Rangers more than I do any other pro sports team, Patriots included. We've owned your ass since our inception. 

Go Isles!!!

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Here is your fish sticks.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, RobR said:

I don't think many of us get chirpy, at least here. @Lith and I have been talking the Isles on these boards forever but more often with a few more posters, both good and bad.

Quick fact: I hate the Rangers more than I do any other pro sports team, Patriots included. We've owned your ass since our inception. 

Go Isles!!!

Just kidding buddy. Hockey fans talking trash isn't the same as when fans of other sports do. Deep down, we appreciate a fellow hockey fan, even when we're ragging on their team. At least the way that's how I look at it.

That's what's great about this rivalry. I never hated a team or player more then the Billy Smith, Sutter brother Isles, but only a fool wouldn't appreciate what that team accomplished.

I did respect them, especially Gillies, Trottier and Bossy, even guys like Gerry Hart, because I just love hockey. Lol at showing Clarkie bust the Boxcar's beak, but you'll never hear me say anything bad about the guy who took down Dave Schultz and Terry O'Reilly.

One of my saddest memories in sports is Kenny Morrow dribbling a shot from the point to win a game 7 against us. Nothing worse then having your heart broken by a guy who scored a goal once every 4 years. (he was one helluva defenseman though.)

Like I said earlier, here's hoping we get to see the rivalry reach that stage again real soon. :cheers:

• Upvote 2

On 11/3/2019 at 9:30 AM, 14 in Green said:

Just kidding buddy. Hockey fans talking trash isn't the same as when fans of other sports do. Deep down, we appreciate a fellow hockey fan, even when we're ragging on their team. At least the way that's how I look at it.

That's what's great about this rivalry. I never hated a team or player more then the Billy Smith, Sutter brother Isles, but only a fool wouldn't appreciate what that team accomplished.

I did respect them, especially Gillies, Trottier and Bossy, even guys like Gerry Hart, because I just love hockey. Lol at showing Clarkie bust the Boxcar's beak, but you'll never hear me say anything bad about the guy who took down Dave Schultz and Terry O'Reilly.

One of my saddest memories in sports is Kenny Morrow dribbling a shot from the point to win a game 7 against us. Nothing worse then having your heart broken by a guy who scored a goal once every 4 years. (he was one helluva defenseman though.)

Like I said earlier, here's hoping we get to see the rivalry reach that stage again real soon. :cheers:

Good post.  There definitely is a kinship among hockey fans that does not exist in other sports.  We hate each others teams, but I think we respect the fact that we love this often overlooked sport. 

As for me, I was originally a Ranger fan.  Early 70s, Isles didn't exist.  I watched the Hatfield/Gilbert/Rattelle/Park/Gicaomin Rangers.  The the Isles came along, I lived in Nassu County and started going to a ton of games at the Coliseum.  Actually was a fan of both teams in the mid 70s, then we started meeting in the playoffs every year and you had to choose sides.  Obviously, I chose the Isles.

Would love to see it get back to the point where we are both among the top teams in teh Division again and start meeting in the postseason.  

• Upvote 1

On 11/4/2019 at 3:47 PM, Lith said:

Would love to see it get back to the point where we are both among the top teams in teh Division again and start meeting in the postseason.  

Gotta disagree here. I'd rather watch the Isles at the top of the division for years to come as the Rangers wallow in the cellar of the division. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, RobR said:

Gotta disagree here. I'd rather watch the Isles at the top of the division for years to come as the Rangers wallow in the cellar of the division. 

Maybe I should have clarified that it would be fun to meet in the playoffs every year as long as we beat them like we did back in the early 80s.  There was something electric about watching Rangers-Islanders in the playoffs every year.

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Those last two minutes seemed to take forever.  Still managed to come away with the W though despite the two late goals.

The chances of the Leafs at that point making the comeback was infinitesimal yet I sweated when I saw 37.5 left on the clock up 1 goal.

We added so many injured players tonight that I think it affected the continuity to a degree. I wish they sent DalColle down instead of Bardreau. Nice to have Komarov back.