NY Islanders 2019-2020

RobR

2 hours ago, RobR said:

What a great way to end the series with a gigantic beatdown. They were firing on all cylinders today and Bo is on fire.

LGI!!!

Yup.  Beau has always been a streaky guy, but when he is going like this, we are a much better team.  Nice to see Barzal get on the scoresheet today.  What a great first week of hockey for an Islander fan.  Isles win. Rangers lose. Penguins lose. 

Now I am just going to pray that neither of them get the #1 pick next season.  I don't get what the NHL is tryng to accomplish by rewarding one of these losing teams with the #1 overall pick.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Beau has always been a streaky guy, but when he is going like this, we are a much better team.  Nice to see Barzal get on the scoresheet today.  What a great first week of hockey for an Islander fan.  Isles win. Rangers lose. Penguins lose. 

Now I am just going to pray that neither of them get the #1 pick next season.  I don't get what the NHL is tryng to accomplish be rewarding one of these losing teams with the $1 overall pick.  

Isles have quite a few streaky guys like Nelson, Bo, Eberle but they all seem to be playing well. The Isles are such a deep team that I'm guessing not many teams would want to face in the playoffs given their playing style. If it wasn't for Bobrovsky the score would have been even worse......his save on Lee was unreal, almost as unreal as Bo's or should I say Titos first goal.  

This is one of my favorite Isles team ever because they never quit and keep grinding. I hope we insert Johnston into the line-up for the next game just so he can beat the sh*t out of Wilson. 

LGI!!!!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RobR said:

This is one of my favorite Isles team ever because they never quit and keep grinding. I hope we insert Johnston into the line-up for the next game just so he can beat the sh*t out of Wilson. 

LGI!!!!

I expect Johnston will be in.  Hopefully for Komarov -- bad clear attempt on first Washington goal and stupid penalty in the 3rd that really could have hurt them, even though we ended up with the shortie that proved to be the game winner.  Almost seemed like the fight got Lee going after a quiet series against FL.  He was a different player in the 3rd period.

Goal at the end of the 2nd period was huge.  This was a great win -- take 7 penatlies against these guys and you don't figure to come away with the W.  Lets keep it going Friday night, buyt they gotta stay out of the box.

LGI

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

I expect Johnston will be in.  Hopefully for Komarov -- bad clear attempt on first Washington goal and stupid penalty in the 3rd that really could have hurt them, even though we ended up with the shortie that proved to be the game winner.  Almost seemed like the fight got Lee going after a quiet series against FL.  He was a different player in the 3rd period.

Goal at the end of the 2nd period was huge.  This was a great win -- take 7 penatlies against these guys and you don't figure to come away with the W.  Lets keep it going Friday night, buyt they gotta stay out of the box.

LGI

Call me crazy but I'd rather have Johnston step in for Martin. Matt has always been a fan favorite but he's completely done at this point. He doesn't hit, doesn't fight, and is slow as hell and I think he's holding that line back. 

The Lee fight completely turned the game around and after the fight they started putting on relentless pressure. Also another great game by Varlomov. The first goal he gave up was beyond fluky and you can't blame him for the second. 

LGI!!!!!!

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, RobR said:

Call me crazy but I'd rather have Johnston step in for Martin. Matt has always been a fan favorite but he's completely done at this point. He doesn't hit, doesn't fight, and is slow as hell and I think he's holding that line back. 

The Lee fight completely turned the game around and after the fight they started putting on relentless pressure. Also another great game by Varlomov. The first goal he gave up was beyond fluky and you can't blame him for the second. 

LGI!!!!!!

I missed the first half of the game (hate when work gets in the way), turned it on down 1-0.  Did Backstrom get hurt on the Lee hit - is that why he didnt play in the 3rd?

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I missed the first half of the game (hate when work gets in the way), turned it on down 1-0.  Did Backstrom get hurt on the Lee hit - is that why he didnt play in the 3rd?

Yes. Lee lit him up squarely and it was definitely late and that is why it was called interference. Ovi also took a baseball type swing at Martin which I hope the league looks into.

• Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Congrats to the Isle fans on the forum (from a Ranger fan, but one is also happy about my team).

Lamoriello is an absolutely incredible GM.

Thanks.  There are not many of us on here, pretty much just me and @RobR.  It is refreshing to have at least one team to root for that is well coached, overachieves and knows how to win.  We need to find the equivalent of Lamoriello/Trotz in Florham Park.  

Congrats on the lottery; Lafreniere to go with Kakko and Panarin.  Scary.  Things are looking up for both of our teams.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Congrats to the Isle fans on the forum (from a Ranger fan, but one is also happy about my team).

Lamoriello is an absolutely incredible GM.

Way to go TT2...... you broke open the 2 man thread with a 50% increase in traffic!!

JK.....; Being born on The Island prior to the Icelanders, I always loved their rivalry with my Rangers. Looks as if it has been reborn! Both teams will continue to be competitive for the next 5 years.

With no skin in the game now "Go Islanders"!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Great effort by the Islanders in game 1, Barzal was especially impressive.

You guys have to stay out of the box though, can't give the Caps that many chances.

This is the 8th playoff meeting between them, the Rangers also faced them 8 times.

It's been a while since Rangers faced the Islanders in the playoffs, those days are coming back soon.

But at this point, I'd rather see you win than the Caps, win it for Barry Trotz.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, RobR said:

@Lith These are some bizarro times when 3 rangers fans join our chat and are rooting for the Isles.....in the playoffs. 2021 can't come soon enough.

latest?cb=20151203235242

Hey like I said it's been a while, but things will be back to normal soon enough.

With all the playoff series we had in the 20 teens, I have no love for the Caps. :D 

• Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, RobR said:

Anyone know if the game is on a different channel? Right now they should be dropping the puck and nbcsn has the van/stl game on and it's only the second period. 

I don't undersgtand what NBCSN is doing.  Blues-Canucks is on NHL Network, yet we missed the first 5 minutes of our game to show Blues-Canucks.  Now, they just said they are going to show the conclusion of Blues-Canucks when they come back.  So we can watch the other game on two different channels, but can't watch the Isles.  F**kin insane.

22 minutes ago, Lith said:

@RobR you can find the Isles on NBCSports.com.  And since we jsut scored two quick goals since I started streaming it, think I will watch it streaming online instead of TV.

NBC is blowing it by trying to broadcast two games at once. I found the streaming version by why not let it spill over onto one of their other affiliates? FU NBC.

• Upvote 1

When Ovi missed the wide open net on the PP in the 3rd, you kind of knew it was our night.  99 times out of 100, he buries that.  Been a while since our 4th line played like they did tonght,  Slow start, but a great game.  Keep it going.

LGI!!!

• Upvote 1

Another great W.  Dominant on 5 v 5, but Holtby kept them in it.  And while Varlamov was not tested as often, he came up big when he needed to.  Love to see Barzal going to the net aggressively.  Great play on the game winner, from Brassard's outlet to Eberle hitting Barzal in stride and then Barzal with the finish.  Gotta end this thing on Tuesday, I don't want to give these guys any signs of life.

LGI!!!

• Upvote 1

Better team won tonight.  Really strong opening 10-15 minutes and then it was all Caps.  Opening stretch of the 2nd period changed the game.  Couldn't stay out of the box and you can't survive against these guys by taking penalties.

Lets hope for a better outing on Thursday.

LGI!!!

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

Better team won tonight.  Really strong opening 10-15 minutes and then it was all Caps.  Opening stretch of the 2nd period changed the game.  Couldn't stay out of the box and you can't survive against these guys by taking penalties.

Lets hope for a better outing on Thursday.

LGI!!!

Nailed it. The way we came out tonight I thought we were going to put it out of reach early but I give credit to the Caps for fighting back and playing physical. Varlamov was great again even if it was a loss.

Looks like Cal might be out next game....do you have any idea why we haven't seen Johnston yet? It shows that he is still on the roster and like you mentioned before, Komarov has been brutal. 

Great effort tonight.  Really locked the Caps down over the last 12 minutes.  Varlamov may not have had to make a lot of saves, but he made some huge ones in the first two periods.  Bailey and Beau have been great all post season.  As have Pelech and Greene.  Have not really missed Boychuk.  Wasn't thrilled with the lineup tonight with Johnston and Dal Colle on the 3rd line, but I guess Trotz knows his team better than I do.

Bring on the Flyers!!  Or the Bruins!!! I don't care who we play, just that we get to play again.

• Upvote 1

I guess I am a Flyer fan for tonight.  It feels wrong just to type that, especially after the Niskannen hit the other night, but I really like us matching up against them better than against the Bruins, whose PP scares me.  We can play with anyone 5 v 5.  It is the specials that scare me.

How great is it to be able to sit back, relax and watch a game thinking about who we get next.

21 hours ago, Lith said:

Great effort tonight.  Really locked the Caps down over the last 12 minutes.  Varlamov may not have had to make a lot of saves, but he made some huge ones in the first two periods.  Bailey and Beau have been great all post season.  As have Pelech and Greene.  Have not really missed Boychuk.  Wasn't thrilled with the lineup tonight with Johnston and Dal Colle on the 3rd line, but I guess Trotz knows his team better than I do.

Bring on the Flyers!!  Or the Bruins!!! I don't care who we play, just that we get to play again.

They had a dominant game and I can't believe how far Pelech has come since the achilles. He's easily our best defenseman.

I liked seeing Johnston in the line up because Cal was hurt but Dal Colle is a complete waste of a spot,,,,,he's god awful.  The only thing that irked me was that Varlamov did not get any stars after the game after pitching a shutout. I'm not sure if I ever saw anything like that over my years.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I guess I am a Flyer fan for tonight.  It feels wrong just to type that, especially after the Niskannen hit the other night, but I really like us matching up against them better than against the Bruins, whose PP scares me.  We can play with anyone 5 v 5.  It is the specials that scare me.

How great is it to be able to sit back, relax and watch a game thinking about who we get next.

Been real busy lately but I thought it was either TB or Boston. Am I missing something?

31 minutes ago, RobR said:

Been real busy lately but I thought it was either TB or Boston. Am I missing something?

Flyers win, we get them.  Flyers lose, we get Boston.  The NHL is reseeding after each round.  Flyers are #1 seed and we would be lowest remaining seed, so we would get them.

Canadiens win, they are bottom seed and TB would be top reminaing seed.  We would get Boston.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, RobR said:

They had a dominant game and I can't believe how far Pelech has come since the achilles. He's easily our best defenseman.

I liked seeing Johnston in the line up because Cal was hurt but Dal Colle is a complete waste of a spot,,,,,he's god awful.  The only thing that irked me was that Varlamov did not get any stars after the game after pitching a shutout. I'm not sure if I ever saw anything like that over my years.

Varlamov is not getting the credit he deserves becuase of how well the D plays in front of him.  Cap may not have had a lot of chances last night, but I thought they had some really good opportunties until the Isle completely shut them down in the final 15 minutes.  3 stars were Beauviller, Pelech and Varlamov.

So far, thorugh 9 games, he has allwed 6 5 v 5 goals in the playoffs.  That's crazy.  Defense in front of him has been great, but he has come up big when he has had to.  And if he does not stnp Vrana on the breakaway in OT, they would still be playing.  Two biggest plays of the seires may have been that save, and Lee taking on Wilson in game 1.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Flyers win, we get them.  Flyers lose, we get Boston.  The NHL is reseeding after each round.  Flyers are #1 seed and we would be lowest remaining seed, so we would get them.

Canadiens win, they are bottom seed and TB would be top reminaing seed.  We would get Boston.

The #1 seeded Flyers next round......lets do it. I have faith in this team and they went through the first two rounds rather easily.

LGI!!!!