NY Islanders 2019-2020

RobR

10 hours ago, RobR said:

Missed the entire game. It sucks balls having the Caps in our division.

Missed most of the game.  Saw we were down 3 in the 2nd and decided to watch football instead.  Flipped the gameon at 3-1 in the 3rd with the PP so I saw the comeback, plus OT & shootout.

29 points would have us either in or tied for first in any other Division, but Caps seem never to lose.  Just gotta keep winning and hang with them.  Both teams are bound to slow down at some point.  We also have 4 games in hand on them so the 5 point defecit isn't as much as it appears.  Although all these early days off will suck later in the season when we really need the off days, but won't have them.  Schedule this season makes no sense.

Just now, RobR said:

14+1=15

Great play by Beauviller along the boards to set Nelson up.  That is two straight Ws where we were down 2 with 5 minutes left.  These guys are fun to watch.  Past year's, I might not have even turned it on when we were down 2.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Great play by Beauviller along the boards to set Nelson up.  That is two straight Ws where we were down 2 with 5 minutes left.  These guys are fun to watch.  Past year's, I might not have even turned it on when we were down 2.

I barely care about the Jets anymore since they're eliminated. This team plays it ass off every night and is still very young. 

Toews is turning into my favorite player, maybe I'll get his jersey.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, RobR said:

I barely care about the Jets anymore since they're eliminated. This team plays it ass off every night and is still very young. 

Toews is turning into my favorite player, maybe I'll get his jersey.

I still enjoy watching the Jets.  Last two games were pretty entertaining.  But they are not close to the Isles as far as entertainment value right now.  I love this type of team.  No superstars, but just keep rolling 4 solild lines.  Guys who are disciplined, do the dirty work.  Make the sacrifices needed to win games.  Night and day from the Cappy era.

As to jerseys, I already have the only Islanders jersey I am ever going to need.  Trottier #19.

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

I still enjoy watching the Jets.  Last two games were pretty entertaining.  But they are not close to the Isles as far as entertainment value right now.  I love this type of team.  No superstars, but just keep rolling 4 solild lines.  Guys who are disciplined, do the dirty work.  Make the sacrifices needed to win games.  Night and day from the Cappy era.

Nailed it 100%. Not only are they playing well and fun to watch but this team is bonding. 

I'm definitely ordering a Lee jersey for a family member, think I'm adding a Toews to the list....maybe Boychuk. Know of any sites for nice ones?

• Upvote 1

Nailed it 100%. Not only are they playing well and fun to watch but this team is bonding. 
I'm definitely ordering a Lee jersey for a family member, think I'm adding a Toews to the list....maybe Boychuk. Know of any sites for nice ones?

I have used some of the overseas sites for hockey jerseys and had decent luck. Jets jerseys have been hit or miss, but I have no had a problem with hockey. Probably just luck of the draw.

When I don’t use one of the overseas sites, Fanatics.com is usually where I go for team stuff.

Back to the Isles, I am getting a late 70s/early 80’s vibe from this team.Long way to even dream about accomplishing what those teams did, but it has probably been that long since I have watched an Isles team with the confidence that they can come back, get the big goal when needed and never be counted out in a game. Probably getting a bit carried away with the comparison, but that was the feeling I had watching last nights game.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Lith said:

Sweet. I watched almost the entire game and had to leave to drop off my cousin as soon as overtime started. Oh well.....longest streak in their history. And Washington lost yesterday.

Go ISLES!!!!!!!

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, RobR said:

Sweet. I watched almost the entire game and had to leave to drop off my cousin as soon as overtime started. Oh well.....longest streak in their history. And Washington lost yesterday.

Go ISLES!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, RobR said:

15-0-1 blows my mind. 

Sorry to see us give up that loser's point to Pitt, but at least we won it in OT.  What a great play by Nelson on the game winner, just wiated Murray out until he was out of position and slid it by him.  Would have been so anti-clamactic to set the record by blowing a late lead and then losing to a hated rival in OT or shootout.  Thankfully it didn't go down that way.

Agree that 15-0-1 in almost inconceiveable.  And when you think about the team whose record they broke, its just incredible.  Not sure what the rest of the season has in store for us, but anytime you break a 35+ year old record that was set by one of the greatest teams ever to play the game, that is a heck of an accomplishment.

Gonna have to get the DVR set up for the West Coast swing this week.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully they are back on track after a rough West Coast trip.

Fun fact.  I still have not seen this team lose a game in regulation this season.  Was having Comcast issues at the start of the season and didn't watch the first week or two.  Then, between travel for the holiday and the late games on the West Coast, I missed the two latest losses as well.  I feel like it is my duty now to watch every game I can, at least until they drop one when I am watching.

11 hours ago, Lith said:

Hopefully they are back on track after a rough West Coast trip.

Fun fact.  I still have not seen this team lose a game in regulation this season.  Was having Comcast issues at the start of the season and didn't watch the first week or two.  Then, between travel for the holiday and the late games on the West Coast, I missed the two latest losses as well.  I feel like it is my duty now to watch every game I can, at least until they drop one when I am watching.

That was by far your worst jinx post for the Isles ever and we've all had them over the years.

They got their as kicked tonight both at hockey and physically. It was an emotional game for the Habs and we were on a back to back to road games so I expected the worst. At the very least they didn't quit and were still in it until the end. Also our first Eastern Conf. loss of the season.......crazy stat.

Now a trip home, a day of rest, and Vegas up next to start another streak.

PS Can someone tell the Caps to lose.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, RobR said:

That was by far your worst jinx post for the Isles ever and we've all had them over the years.

They got their as kicked tonight both at hockey and physically. It was an emotional game for the Habs and we were on a back to back to road games so I expected the worst. At the very least they didn't quit and were still in it until the end. Also our first Eastern Conf. loss of the season.......crazy stat.

Now a trip home, a day of rest, and Vegas up next to start another streak.

PS Can someone tell the Caps to lose.

Yup.  That was on me.  Team no showed last night, but it is my fault.  Need to be more careful.

9 hours ago, Lith said:

Yup.  That was on me.  Team no showed last night, but it is my fault.  Need to be more careful.

I was scared to respond to your post until after the game for jinx purposes. And now Washington wins again to add to the frustration. 

We're having our best season in over three decades and we can't even sniff first place. So damn frustrating.....Go LA tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2020 at 3:46 PM, Apache 51 said:

Boychuk gonna be ok after skate to the face requiring 90 stitches.

90 freaking stitches!! Oh man that’s rough. @Lith was right, it is only the 2 of you. Not much better in Rangers thread. I think there maybe 4 of us popping in to say a few things but @JustEndTheSuffering and @BROOKLYN JET keeping it moving with some Rangersnews. See you in July. Go Rangers. ?

20 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

90 freaking stitches!! Oh man that’s rough. @Lith was right, it is only the 2 of you. Not much better in Rangers thread. I think there maybe 4 of us popping in to say a few things but @JustEndTheSuffering and @BROOKLYN JET keeping it moving with some Rangersnews. See you in July. Go Rangers. ?

There’s a few more than that. We’ve got Los, Anthony Jet, EM, Shawn but you Brooklyn and I are definitely in there the most. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/22/2020 at 11:27 AM, 32EBoozer said:

Poor Lith!! Icelanders. Hoping he was on board during the glory years!

At least the Isles have had glory years. Nothing like being a dirty Rags fan and celebrating your one cup (that you bought) over the last 80 years.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Assume you were watching today @RobR.  Typical Trotz game.  Solid defense,  good goaltending and just enough scoring to get it done.  First W since acquiring Pageau.  Really good Saturday so far.  W for the Isles and a L for the Rags.

Hopefully Boychuck is able to go on Tuesday, but I am not optinistic.  He has always been playing through injury the last few seasons.  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Lith said:

Assume you were watching today @RobR.  Typical Trotz game.  Solid defense,  good goaltending and just enough scoring to get it done.  First W since acquiring Pageau.  Really good Saturday so far.  W for the Isles and a L for the Rags.

Hopefully Boychuck is able to go on Tuesday, but I am not optinistic.  He has always been playing through injury the last few seasons.  

I just posted almost the exact same thing at the Hampur......yes I've finally gone back. Go read it because it's eerily similar.

On another note as much as I Iove Boychuk he's easily replaceable with our depth on the blueline. It's been so friggin long I forgot about the acquisitions of Pageau and Greene.

It's nice to have hockey back and not have to deal with all of the drama of the other leagues.

Go Isles!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RobR said:

I just posted almost the exact same thing at the Hampur......yes I've finally gone back. Go read it because it's eerily similar.

On another note as much as I Iove Boychuk he's easily replaceable with our depth on the blueline. It's been so friggin long I forgot about the acquisitions of Pageau and Greene.

It's nice to have hockey back and not have to deal with all of the drama of the other leagues.

Go Isles!!!!!!

Was thinking of heading over there - I probably have not posted in about a year.  Then I saw the post above yours with a political reference.  Those guys can't help themselves.  Maybe I will go back if their boy loses in November.

I think Boychuk needs to seriously think about retiring this offseason.  Can't stay healthy and he is not the player he used to be.  37/38 years old, Solid career,  Already won a cup.  Assuming he had a concussion today, I wonder if we see him back in this series.

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

Maybe I will go back if their boy loses in November.

Hopefully we can keep the politics out of this thread but their boy is also my boy now. Coming from a family that was involved in the military, that served our country,  and the numerous friends I grew up with that chose the life of law enforcement I have no other choice. I'm still the same person and I've always considered you a good friend, and to this day you're the only poster that I've ever met in person. I'll also never forget that you were one of the first persons to offer me and my family help after what I went through four years ago. I'm like an elephant and never forget. 

With all of that BS out of the way lets just go back to talking about hockey. 

Go Isles!!!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

Hopefully we can keep the politics out of this thread but their boy is also my boy now. Coming from a family that was involved in the military, that served our country,  and the numerous friends I grew up with that chose the life of law enforcement I have no other choice. I'm still the same person and I've always considered you a good friend, and to this day you're the only poster that I've ever met in person. I'll also never forget that you were one of the first persons to offer me and my family help after what I went through four years ago. I'm like an elephant and never forget. 

With all of that BS out of the way lets just go back to talking about hockey. 

Go Isles!!!

Fair point.  My bad.  LGI.

• Upvote 1

I hate these noon ET starts.  Game on one screen while my other screen is focused on work.  And the folks I work with do not seem to be very sympathetic to the fact that I want to be left alone for 3 hours in the middle of the day.  

Rough start to this one, Panthers dominated early, but we got it going in the 2nd.  And the two 3rd periods we played, on Saturday and again today, were things of beauty.  A clinic in how to play with a late lead.  So much different from the pre-Trotz era (can't bring myself to mention that guy's name), when you were more comfortable with the team trailing by one than protecting a lead.

LGI!!!

2 hours ago, RobR said:

My tv and internet went out 2 minutes before puck drop and it's still out. Missed the entire game after reworking my schedule so I could watch it. Huge bummer but at least we won.

LGI

That sucks.  They played well today after a slow start.  Florida dominated early, but we kept it close.  Greene filled in well for Boychuk.  Beauvillier continues to shine.  Barzal made some nice aggressive moves to the net.  Couple of goals for Eberle.  Kunhnackl played as well as I have seen him.  Only donwside was when Barzal went hard into the boards after a nice play at the net.  Hoping he is good to go tomorrow -- scary head first collision into the boards.

I am going to miss tomorrow's game, too much going on at work that I won't be able to move around.  But at least, we know our team will have another game beyond the next one.

• Upvote 1