NY Islanders 2019-2020

RobR

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Varlamov is not getting the credit he deserves becuase of how well the D plays in front of him.  Cap may not have had a lot of chances last night, but I thought they had some really good opportunties until the Isle completely shut them down in the final 15 minutes.  3 stars were Beauviller, Pelech and Varlamov.

So far, thorugh 9 games, he has allwed 6 5 v 5 goals in the playoffs.  That's crazy.  Defense in front of him has been great, but he has come up big when he has had to.  And if he does not stnp Vrana on the breakaway in OT, they would still be playing.  Two biggest plays of the seires may have been that save, and Lee taking on Wilson in game 1.

Agree 100%, now I'm getting shivers down my spine. Still hope Boychuk replaces Greene for the next series because he offers more to this team when it comes to getting pucks around the net. We also have Dobson....talk about stacked. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RobR said:

The #1 seeded Flyers next round......lets do it. I have faith in this team and they went through the first two rounds rather easily.

LGI!!!!

Islanders - Flyers playoff series.  That is so 1980s. 

Bring on the Broad Street bullies.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Islanders - Flyers playoff series.  That is so 1980s. 

Bring on the Broad Street bullies.

Can't wait to call my friend Trent...I'm sure you get the reference. You have to beat the best to be the best. LGI!!!!!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Islanders explode with 3 goals in the 3rd, up 4-0.

Wow!

I've been saying it all along....this is not the type of team you want to run into in the playoffs. They don't have any superstars but they are deep throughout the entire roster and play a relentless style.

LGI!!!!!!!!!

• Sympathy 1

Just now, RobR said:

I've been saying it all along....this is not the type of team you want to run into in the playoffs. They don't have any superstars but they are deep throughout the entire roster and play a relentless style.

LGI!!!!!!!!!

Trotts is doing a great job, everybody is playing hard, and you guys have beat the Flyers all year.

Game 2 is big, let's how they respond.

• Sympathy 2

9 minutes ago, RobR said:

LGI!!!!!!!!!

Reminds me of the start of the season, that 17 game unbeaten stretch.  Different guys doing it every night.  Tough defense first style but enough offense off the counterattack.  Dominating 5 v 5 and 3rd periods.  No idea what is to come over the next few games, but damn this is fun right now.

The two deadline acquisitions made Lamoriello look like a genius tonight.

LGI!!!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

The two deadline acquisitions made Lamoriello look like a genius tonight.

Can't wait too see what Pageaus' beard looks like when we hoist the cup. It was also nice to see Johnston get one of the stars tonight because he was sucking the life out of them. 

LGI!!!!!

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, RobR said:

LGI!!!!!!!!!

Very well coached, defense first, don't make dumb mistakes. Trotz vs. AV is a mismatch. How many playoff games have Vignault's teams come out and looked like they met in the parking lot? Hart is a great goalie but he is now finding out his coach doesn't have a clue, just as Roberto Luongo and Henrik Lundqvist learned the hard way.

Isles should have no problem this series. Talent wise though Bruins or Lightning are way better. 

• Sympathy 2

Joining the convo a little late but I've been watching and rooting for the Islanders all playoffs.  What a fun team!  Hockey playoffs are great too, such a fun watch.  Though I do miss seeing fans going crazy on the glass but still, it's been pretty excitng!

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, JiF said:

Joining the convo a little late but I've been watching and rooting for the Islanders all playoffs.  What a fun team!  Hockey playoffs are great too, such a fun watch.  Though I do miss seeing fans going crazy on the glass but still, it's been pretty excitng!

Nice to know that there more than just two Islander fans on the site.   How great would it be for the Isles to be doing this at the Coliseum instead of Toronto.  Although I do have to admit I do get just a little mit of pleasure knowing that the Isles are making this nice little run on JT's home ice. 

Since signing in Toronto, JT and the Maple Leafs have won 3 playoff games on their home ice.  The Isles have won 8.

• Upvote 1

Disappointed in the loss yesterday, but not discouraged after the way they fought back.  After playing as well as he has throughout the playoffs, I guess Varlamov was entitled to a bad outing.  I loved to see the way the guys fought back, sent a message to the Flyers that nothing is going to be easy in this series.  Flyers are going to have to earn anything they get.  Now, we just have to get back in the win column tongiht.

LGI!!!

AV is a genuinely nice man. But to win a Cup a coach has to be a able to kick his team in the ass when it starts getting complacent. Call it the "MIke Keenan gene". Break a blackboard, bench your best player, lose your mind, when it starts going really bad, do something. And AV has shown over and over during his career in the playoffs he has no Mike Keenan in him. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Nice bounce back last night!  Fun game!  The NHL have still be a lot of fun this year. 

Best part of this run is that it does not look like a fluke.  Sometimes you see a team go on a run in the playoffs that is not as good as the teams they beat, but a hot goalie or some other lucky breaks allow them to steal some games. 

That is not the case for this Isles team.  We were the better team top to bottom against the Panthers, dominated the Caps in 5 v 5 in each of our Ws, and so far have been the much better team in 3 games against the Flyers.  One bad period or we would be up 3-0.  Hopefully they keep it going.

LGI!!!

Looking forward to tonight's game, the Islanders have definitely looked like a true contender since the NHL resumed.

The break seems to have benefited them as they were reeling before the stoppage and now they are out playing Philly who jumped to the #1 seed in the bubble.

Glad to see Tampa is up 3-1 on Boston, hopefully they close it out in 5.

11 hours ago, Lith said:

Best part of this run is that it does not look like a fluke.  Sometimes you see a team go on a run in the playoffs that is not as good as the teams they beat, but a hot goalie or some other lucky breaks allow them to steal some games. 

That is not the case for this Isles team.  We were the better team top to bottom against the Panthers, dominated the Caps in 5 v 5 in each of our Ws, and so far have been the much better team in 3 games against the Flyers.  One bad period or we would be up 3-0.  Hopefully they keep it going.

LGI!!!

OK. so maybe this time the other guys outplayed us but the goalie stole us a win.  Once again, Trotz pushing the right buttons going with Greiss tonight and he stole us a win we probably didn't deserve.  

8 hours ago, Lith said:

OK. so maybe this time the other guys outplayed us but the goalie stole us a win.  Once again, Trotz pushing the right buttons going with Greiss tonight and he stole us a win we probably didn't deserve.  

I thought it was going to be smooth sailing after the 1st period, Flyers should some serious fight after that.

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

crickets GIF

Not much to say.  Bad loss last night.  Very sloppy game.  Turnovers in our own end, inability to clear the zone, giving Flyer D-men too much room at the point.  We were lucky to get the two late goals and to have a chance to win it in OT, but couldn't get it done. 

Hopefully Barzal will be good to go tomorrow night.  But the whole team needs to be better.  Quality of play is way down these last two games.

9 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

What a series, game 7 in going to be nuts.

Not sure how I am going to be able to sit through it.  Losing 3 OT games in one series is brutal.  Margin for error is gone, as is the confidence i had in my team a week ago.   I am hoping we go with Greiss tomorrow night, Varlamaov has not been good these last couple of games.  Had we gotten good goaltending, we win the game last night.

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Not sure how I am going to be able to sit through it.  Losing 3 OT games in one series is brutal.  Margin for error is gone, as is the confidence i had in my team a week ago.   I am hoping we go with Greiss tomorrow night, Varlamaov has not been good these last couple of games.  Had we gotten good goaltending, we win the game last night.

Yes, you really did out play them last night. Carter Hart came up big, and the broken stick in overtime killed you, crazy.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Yes, you really did out play them last night. Carter Hart came up big, and the broken stick in overtime killed you, crazy.

If we lose tomorrow, I will know what you guys felt like in 2014.  Didn't you lose 2 or 3 OT games against the Kings in the Finals that year.

1 hour ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Yup and 2 were double overtime, ugh don't get me started, that was awful. ?

That was the year that my wife went out and bought a Lundquist jersey.  Her father was a Ranger season ticket holder, but she is not even close to being a fan.  Just bought the jersey to piss me off.  

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Lith said:

If we lose tomorrow, I will know what you guys felt like in 2014.  Didn't you lose 2 or 3 OT games against the Kings in the Finals that year.

Well the Stars just beat the Avs in OT, they also blew a 3-1 series lead to go 7.

The Golden Kinghts had a 3-1 series lead and play the Canucks in game 7 tonight.

Edit: Golden Knights also win.

1 minute ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

And the Islanders do it too, in grand fashion.

Side note, you guys just helped us get the 22nd overall pick, thank you!

But now, I'm rooting for Tampa. ?

All good.  You have been more gracious than I probably would have been had the situation been reversed.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I remember that season like it was yesterday. Me and my brother that you met went to every home playoff game that year by scraping together our nickels so us broke ass college kids could sit in the last row. Great times.

LGI!!!!

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

I remember that season like it was yesterday. Me and my brother that you met went to every home playoff game that year by scraping together our nickels so us broke ass college kids could sit in the last row. Great times.

LGI!!!!

What a clinic tonight.  Got the early lead and then played pure Trotz' Islander hockey.  Greiss was great when needed, which was not all that often.  Was nice to have a relatively drama free game 7 after what we went through in the multiple OTs.   

• Sympathy 1