NY Islanders 2019-2020

RobR

On 8/21/2020 at 9:58 PM, RobR said:

Agree 100%, now I'm getting shivers down my spine. Still hope Boychuk replaces Greene for the next series because he offers more to this team when it comes to getting pucks around the net. We also have Dobson....talk about stacked. 

Congrats to you & @Lith  Good series. Good luck in next round. I’m wayyyyy jealous!

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Wow, who would have thought the Islanders could ever survive letting John Tavares leave for Toronto, and leading the Leafs to all those cups? As a Devil season ticket holder from 1987-2004, we learned one thing....trust in Lou.?

The thing about Tavares is letting him go for nothing, they would have been better off trading him. They have been run well by Lou and Trotts, although beside the deadline deals which were good, Snow built the team.

3 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

The thing about Tavares is letting him go for nothing, they would have been better off trading him. They have been run well by Lou and Trotts, although beside the deadline deals which were good, Snow built the team.

Agree that Snow built this team.  He is also the guy that had the opportunity to trade JT at the deadline but didn't. 

These last two seasons to me have been more about Trotz taking the same guys Doug Weight and, to a lesser extent, Jack Capuano had, and getting so much more out of them.    Lou's acquisitions of Pageau and Greene both came up huge in the playoffs.  He also brought in Brassard and Martin to upgrade the 3rd and 4th lines, but the top two lines and most of the defense are all Snow acquisitions.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Lith said:

He is also the guy that had the opportunity to trade JT at the deadline but didn't. 

Tavares said all along that he was going to re-sign with the Isles and that is the only reason we didn't move him for picks. He's hated by Isles fans for good reason.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Tavares said all along that he was going to re-sign with the Isles and that is the only reason we didn't move him for picks. He's hated by Isles fans for good reason.

I get that. But I still think it was Snow’s responsibility to get him locked up before hitting FA. Once he hit free agency, we lost control of the process. JT played Snow. Garth allowed himself to be played.
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Lith said:

JT played Snow. Garth allowed himself to be played.

I tend to agree but we'll never know what went on behind the scenes. JT all but told every single Isles fan and I'm sure management that he was staying and was going to re-sign and then bolted like a baby. There's a reason why one of our best players over the last twenty years is universally hated by all fans.  

Didn't JT live with Snow for a time period or was that Weight? Or both? 

12 hours ago, RobR said:

I tend to agree but we'll never know what went on behind the scenes. JT all but told every single Isles fan and I'm sure management that he was staying and was going to re-sign and then bolted like a baby. There's a reason why one of our best players over the last twenty years is universally hated by all fans.  

Didn't JT live with Snow for a time period or was that Weight? Or both? 

I guess a discussion of JT right now is better than discussing that debacle on the ice last night.  What an embarrassing loss.

I don't want to sound like I am defending JT, because I am not.  He deserves all of the hatred he gets from the fanbase.  But I can't help but think that the whole situation would have been handled differently had Lamoriello been here rather than Garth. 

• Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, JiF said:

Ugh that was brutal.  Going to be going tough to comeback from this deficit. 

Yup.  Big hill to climb,  What was so frustrating last night is that we made two major mistakes.  Toews failing to reach the red line and taking an icing.  And then a total defensive breakdown in the final 30 seconds.  2 mistakes and game over. 

You just knew that not converting on the 5 minute power play, or the 5 on 3 would come back to haunt them.

• Upvote 2

Looks like Tampa is the opponent that everyone thought that they would be getting in the playoffs last year.  That, plus the idea that pucks simply seem to be bouncing their way.  Tough combination to beat.

In any event I am a Rangers fan here but no real Ax to grind with this incarnation of the Islanders.  At some point the whole blue collar, lunch pail, overachiever thing is going to run into a brick wall and it looks like the Tampa bay Lightnig may be that brick wall this year. 

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Big hill to climb,  What was so frustrating last night is that we made two major mistakes.  Toews failing to reach the red line and taking an icing.  And then a total defensive breakdown in the final 30 seconds.  2 mistakes and game over. 

You just knew that not converting on the 5 minute power play, or the 5 on 3 would come back to haunt them.

The I(sles were skating circles around TB. Tough loss.

47 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not thrilled with that 1st period.  Got a bit of puck luck on the Clutterbuck goal, but we can't be giving up 15 shots a period against these guys and expect to win.  Gotta get back to playing our game.

Well we're getting back to our game. What a brilliant move by Nelson to set up Bo. 

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

Obviously posted before the 3rd period began.  Are they going to be able to survive these last two minutes?  Sheesh.

Never underestimate this team. Nelson was fantastic tonight along with that entire line, and as usual I'll drop some hate on Eberle....he is in the same boat as Amac and Hickey were for me, just a terrible re-signing.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RobR said:

Never underestimate this team. Nelson was fantastic tonight along with that entire line, and as usual I'll drop some hate on Eberle....he is in the same boat as Amac and Hickey were for me, just a terrible re-signing.

It is now a series.  Brock to Beau; and then Beau to Brock.  Glad to see Martin take on Goodrow at the end,  Eberle has had so many chances on the offensive end, but can't finish. We need a legit finisher on that side of Barzal.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

We need a legit finisher on that side of Barzal.

100%. Eberle reminds me of Strome a bit...just a floater and I hate players like that.

LGI!!! Looks we'll have a full Sunday schedule upcoming with the games only 2 hours apart. 

• Upvote 1

I think it is pretty clear at this point that the LIghtning are the better team.  The way they are playing right now, I don't see us coming back, nor do I think either the Stars or the Knights would have much more success against them than we are having. 

Hoping we can win Tuesday and somehow turn this series around, but Lightning look like the best team in the NHL and front runner for the Cup.

LGI!!!

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think it is pretty clear at this point that the LIghtning are the better team.  The way they are playing right now, I don't see us coming back, nor do I think either the Stars or the Knights would have much more success against them than we are having. 

Hoping we can win Tuesday and somehow turn this series around, but Lightning look like the best team in the NHL and front runner for the Cup.

LGI!!!

I just finished watching the game and you hit the nail on the head. They're simply a better team talent wise and they also have a great coach.

If TB wins the series, which is obviously likely I'll be rooting for them since I lived down there forever. Lightning fans were always cool even when we were the rival fans in their building and seem knowlegable, unlike most Bucs fans. 

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Lith said:

LGI!!!

Game 2 was a killer, Islanders were the better team that game and let it slip away with 7 seconds left in regulation. Series is not over yet, but it's a tough hill to climb. Got to take it 1 shift at a time, win the next one and try to swing the momentum, They definitely have to slow the Lightening down if they are going to have a chance at pulling off the comeback. 

14 hours ago, RobR said:

I just finished watching the game and you hit the nail on the head. They're simply a better team talent wise and they also have a great coach.

If TB wins the series, which is obviously likely I'll be rooting for them since I lived down there forever. Lightning fans were always cool even when we were the rival fans in their building and seem knowlegable, unlike most Bucs fans. 

Tampa is a cool place to go watch a game, if you get there early for practices, you can actually meet almost everyone playing, as most just walk across the street from the hotel to the rink. I met allot of the Rangers when I went years ago, including Sam Rosen & John Davidson, it was a good game, and I bumped into several of the Lightening players that night at a nearby hot spot.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Islanders played a good game, they showed allot of fight, got some bounces and a gift from McDonagh. ;) 

Kind of like poetic justice for the Isles after the Mayfield broken stick in 2OT against Philly in the last series. 

That game last night is the way the Isles have to beat Tampa.  Limit their chances, stay patient and capitalize on TB mistakes/penalties.    And be strong on the PK -- I did not think we had much chance of killing that 4 minute PP at end or regulation and OT.

LGI!!!

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Lith said:

Kind of like poetic justice for the Isles after the Mayfield broken stick in 2OT against Philly in the last series. 

That game last night is the way the Isles have to beat Tampa.  Limit their chances, stay patient and capitalize on TB mistakes/penalties.    And be strong on the PK -- I did not think we had much chance of killing that 4 minute PP at end or regulation and OT.

LGI!!!

I meant Shattenkirk not McDonagh.

• Upvote 1

On 9/16/2020 at 8:25 PM, BROOKLYN JET said:

Sam Rosen had a good call too, I think he was doing the Westwood One Sports broadcast.

On 9/16/2020 at 8:25 PM, BROOKLYN JET said:

Sam Rosen had a good call too, I think he was doing the Westwood One Sports broadcast.

“Matthau! Matthau!” can never be topped!