The best Safety Duo in the NFL

Mike135

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Giants have the best RB. Rams have the best DT. Bears have the best pass rusher. Jags had the best CB. Texans had the best WR. 

Rams went to the Super Bowl last year.  Texans and Bears both made the playoffs last year.  Jaguars made the AFC Title game just 2 years ago with Blake Bortles at QB.  

And I was one of the many on here saying you don't draft a RB at 2 like the Giants did.  They should have traded down.  I said that then and say that now.   

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Rams went to the Super Bowl last year.  Texans and Bears both made the playoffs last year.  Jaguars made the AFC Title game just 2 years ago with Blake Bortles at QB.  

And I was one of the many on here saying you don't draft a RB at 2 like the Giants did.  They should have traded down.  I said that then and say that now.   

Its a ass backwards defense of a ridiculous theory that the reason the team didnt win was because of the Pro Bowl S not named Mahomes.

How many threads can the Adams whiners ruin with the same story?
Hes here and hes not going anywhere.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No championships though and to be fair those teams are just better all around. I’m sprtA with you sorta not with your perspective. I get Safety isnt quite as important as other positions but there’s no sense pissing on the success.

in fact if you look through out history many of the best teams always had a premium safety.

Lott, Palamalu, Lynch Harrison, Earl Thomas, etc etc.

There’s a middle ground here 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Imagine where we'd be without the top Safety duo in the NFL the last 2+ seasons.  Probably 8-29 instead of 10-27.  The horror!

Be able to read a post about the D or their play without the same ridiculous story.

Who needs good players, we're Jets fans, we know how little it makes a difference

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

No championships though and to be fair those teams are just better all around. I’m sprtA with you sorta not with your perspective. I get Safety isnt quite as important as other positions but there’s no sense pissing on the success.

in fact if you look through out history many of the best teams always had a premium safety.

Lott, Palamalu, Lynch Harrison, Earl Thomas, etc etc.

There’s a middle ground here 

Neither Adams nor Maye are in that category of Safety though.  Not really even close.  People love using PFF as a guide to determine how good Adams is.  Twice, Kerry Rhodes had better seasons than Adams per PFF.  

And "no championships" for those other teams would be an argument if the Jets were remotely competitive or the defense was any good since 2017.  It hasn't been.  Per FO we've been below average the last 2+ seasons.  The Bears had an elite defense last year almost entirely because of one player.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Neither Adams nor Maye are in that category of Safety though.  Not really even close.  People love using PFF as a guide to determine how good Adams is.  Twice, Kerry Rhodes had better seasons than Adams per PFF.  

And "no championships" for those other teams would be an argument if the Jets were remotely competitive or the defense was any good since 2017.  It hasn't been.  Per FO we've been below average the last 2+ seasons.  The Bears had an elite defense last year almost entirely because of one player.  

Not true to say, they’re in their 3rd year And not surrounded by nearly the talent. And already considered one of the best tandems. Bears went from a good defense to great w Mack. Get it, the Jets still need an edge who wasn’t their btw within those picks of that draft. Part of the bears defensive success is Jackson and Clinton Dix. I’ll believe you that you looked it up, but Kerry Rhodes was actually one of the better Safeties in football for about two seasons too. 

• Upvote 1

Its a total team game.  Last week the Jets do not win with out Darnold.  Last week the Jets do not win without Maye and Adams.  
Exactly!

I can't believe the amount of clueless, ignorant fans that do not realize it takes a team to achieve a team goal, like winning a game.

It's like they have never been part of a team before and understand this simple concept. Instead they'd rather bash our better players for not carrying the rest of the team to a win like this is the NBA or something.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CTM said:

I havent watched enough non jet games to even comment.

This is progress in a Mulvanian kind of way.

You finally admit you have no idea what the hell you're talking about or that your opinion is based on any kind of facts.  Kudos for freely admitting you're clueless.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Pac said:

This is progress in a Mulvanian kind of way.

You finally admit you have no idea what the hell you're talking about or that your opinion is based on any kind of facts.  Kudos for freely admitting you're clueless.

Meh, I've said that all along. I don't believe the video creator is studying tape on all of the safety tandems in the NFL either which is why I was mocking his conclusion.

9 hours ago, HessStation said:

I would argue that a duo and a tandem might not be the same thing. Would Batman & Robin have been as dynamic as a tandem? Probably. But the moral of the story is you schlemiels are actually getting boners over this stupid sh*t.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You mean like best RB duo?

CB duo? 

LB duo? 

Yeah, did you ever feel the need to ask because, you know, it's stupid to have good S's.  Or it's because other teams haven't had a duo this good? 

I would play your rhetorical question game but then you’re gonna call me names and I don’t like it when people are mean to me. 

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Would Batman & Robin have been as dynamic as a tandem?

I don’t feel like they we’re a tandem bc it was more of a teacher/apprentice relationship and a tandem should be two equal parties imo. Also, it was creepy to dress your apprentice in green booty shorts and a yellow cape.

Just now, T0mShane said:

I don’t feel like they we’re a tandem bc it was more of a teacher/apprentice relationship and a tandem should be two equal parties imo. Also, it was creepy to dress your apprentice in green booty shorts and a yellow cape.

So do we have a tandem or a duo? And which one wears the booty shorts? 

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Its a ass backwards defense of a ridiculous theory that the reason the team didnt win was because of the Pro Bowl S not named Mahomes.

How many threads can the Adams whiners ruin with the same story?
Hes here and hes not going anywhere.  

Or the Pro Bowl safety not named Watson. For the last time you NEED a QB as desperately as his team did and not ONE but TWO are available YOU DO NOT PICK A FRICKIN' SAFETY. Even you can understand that right? Yeah on second thought probably not.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

batman GIF

I have no idea why I posted this IN THIS THREAD but it makes as much sense as taking a safety over a badly needed QB.

2 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

batman GIF

I have no idea why I posted this IN THIS THREAD but it makes as much sense as taking a safety over a badly needed QB.

Now that I think about it, the Adam West/Burt Ward incarnation was definitely teacher/apprentice. But the Kilmer-Clooney/Chris O’Donnell version was more of a duo. 

Or the Pro Bowl safety not named Watson. For the last time you NEED a QB as desperately as his team did and not ONE but TWO are available YOU DO NOT PICK A FRICKIN' SAFETY. Even you can understand that right? Yeah on second thought probably not.

We SHOULD have take a Qb over a safety.

We didn’t, so why is it still an issue to talk about? We are extremely lucky to be given a second chance and got Sam.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, SpartanJet said:

Boy with the high draft capital spent and the importance of safeties I'm sure there must have been an avalanche of winning since they arrived.

Those two alone are not going to help the Jets win. It takes a team and the Jets just don't have one. The expectations being placed on those two are absurd and unreasonable. Once the Jets get a more formative player roster, there will come a time when they should be evaluated for their true effectiveness helping the team win.

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Those two alone are not going to help the Jets win. It takes a team and the Jets just don't have one. The expectations being placed on those two are absurd and unreasonable. Once the Jets get a more formative player roster, there will come a time when they should be evaluated for their true effectiveness helping the team win.

We can look at last week as an example.  Plus the rest of this season.

They did just beat the NFC East leaders.

• Upvote 1

On 10/18/2019 at 10:49 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Honest question: Did any of you ever hear of the phrase “best safety duo” before the Jets had these two guys? Because it feels like something we made up in order to justify blowing a draft on safeties. 

Who are we trying to justify the draft for? This is nonsense. We didn't blow a draft on Safeties. We used two high draft choices that yielded us the very best Safety (arguably) in the league today and a pretty good Safety although oft injured. They raised the all around talent level on this defense. You know....more talent leads to more wins and more wins leads to a  better chance at winning a SB? It's not rocket science.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

We can look at last week as an example.  Plus the rest of this season.

They did just beat the NFC East leaders.

Not sure what you're saying? Adams and Maye did not beat the Cowboys alone. They played GREAT along with a defense that put together it's best performance in probably more than a year along with an offense energized by finally getting their unquestioned leader back. The QB raised the level of talent of everyone on that offense like any true leader does.

Now people can try to split hairs about the above all they'd like but at the end of the day that is 100% truth about last Sunday.