Kelechi Osemele (shoulder) wants to have surgery despite team doctors ruling he could play through his injury

jbt

19 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It's  not abuse of anything. If the jets were stupid enough to sign him with an injury that potentially  needed surgery to correct, how is that abuse? This is basically another Mac screw up if he was injured before he signed. 

Or KO hid the injury and now is using it as an excuse after the league year started to get a full pay check and recovery all paid for before he is a FA

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not a lawyer but I'm sure there's language that says if you're healthy you have to play.  These guys play injured all the time - if guys decided to sit out whenever they got benched or heck, just bored - there would be no league.

I would imagine just about every player in the league - the moment they sign, what they believe to be, their last contract will declare they need surgery - take their salary and retire once it's done.

It's just silly.  If you are cleared to play, you play - or you don't get paid.  There's simply no other reasonable way to deal with this.

To your point, are there not morals clauses in the contracts? I mean, this would sure seem to fit that , no?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Then what are you arguing about? You seemed to be pissed off the guy has a contract to play football but he's  hurt and he probably sucks as bad as he does because of the injury so now he wants  to get it corrected but the Jets want to fine him for that decision.  Exactly what have I missed here?

First he is choosing to make this a media event instead of working this out internally. Making the Jets look bad and getting public sentiment on his side. 

Second he gets no benefit of the doubt here because of his history. 

Third, in real life you don't get to choose to sit out and get your job pay for it. 

Fourth, this started as a knee injury... Then got ill... Now it's a shoulder that popped up a week ago but now says it dates back to week 3 and doctors say that it happened even earlier. 

My biggest grip is that he is choosing to burn his bridge on the team before he did anything for this organization and then decides to tell the media and even goes as far as saying they are doctoring his medical reports... That is a big accusation without any proof, yet. If that is truly happening this is an extremely large issue that will get politians and huge lawyers involved... 

I choose to believe that Osemele is the problem here but I can see you believe him outright. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

24 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Why should he not be paid? And wtf do you care? Is it your money? Does this some how effect the team. Hey, here's  a thought, he gets the surgery, rehabs, comes back healthy and maybe we have a quality OL next season instead of the injured piece of trash we have been watching 

Why do you care if he does get paid? And he is never playing a down for the Jets again after this fiasco... He ****ed himself on that front

• Thumb Down 1

35 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Or KO hid the injury and now is using it as an excuse after the league year started to get a full pay check and recovery all paid for before he is a FA

Lol, yeah, he hid the injury. Are you for real. They have these things called physicals that a dr administrators before a player signs. Seems you want to blame incompetent Jets medical staff on the player. 

• Thumb Down 2

37 minutes ago, section314 said:

To your point, are there not morals clauses in the contracts? I mean, this would sure seem to fit that , no?

No, it does not. A moral clause violation is if you do something to damage the teams reputation. There is no proof this was leaked by KO. I know we know live in a world where leaks are common place but you seem to want to crucify  this guy with zero proof of anything. 

• Thumb Down 2

11 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

No, it does not. A moral clause violation is if you do something to damage the teams reputation. There is no proof this was leaked by KO. I know we know live in a world where leaks are common place but you seem to want to crucify  this guy with zero proof of anything. 

Not at all. I'm saying that if the issue is really what has been stated in this thread, that a player says he's hurt, the team Dr's tested him and cleared him to play, and he insists on having surgery anyway, then that is a major problem, and I don't think the player has a leg to stand on. Have nothing against the guy, but I seriously doubt that any DR. would ever clear a player if there was a chance that he really was hurt.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

First he is choosing to make this a media event instead of working this out internally. Making the Jets look bad and getting public sentiment on his side. 

Second he gets no benefit of the doubt here because of his history. 

Third, in real life you don't get to choose to sit out and get your job pay for it. 

Fourth, this started as a knee injury... Then got ill... Now it's a shoulder that popped up a week ago but now says it dates back to week 3 and doctors say that it happened even earlier. 

My biggest grip is that he is choosing to burn his bridge on the team before he did anything for this organization and then decides to tell the media and even goes as far as saying they are doctoring his medical reports... That is a big accusation without any proof, yet. If that is truly happening this is an extremely large issue that will get politians and huge lawyers involved... 

I choose to believe that Osemele is the problem here but I can see you believe him outright. 

First off, if he went to the media, big deal. The Jets are playing hardball with him by threatening to fine him if he misses time. If this is what he felt he needed to do to get out of that situation,  it is what it is then. 

As far as your real life assessment,  I'm glad I never worked for you. I broke 3 ribs and chipped two vertebrae when I fell skiing l, slid off the path and hit a snow hydrant.  I was laid up for close to three weeks before I could even walk without wincing in pain. My boss paid me for every day I was out, did not deduct it from sick days or vacation. 

Again, if this was an issue before the season started or before he signed, it is the Jets issue for not knowing this. The trainer should have been able to spot this or the medical staff. 

And I really don't see why the last part is such a big deal. That just seems like an excuse for you to be mad. I hear something like that and I don't  even give it a thought until I see proof one

47 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Why do you care if he does get paid? And he is never playing a down for the Jets again after this fiasco... He ****ed himself on that front

Here is how I feel about players making money. I think every player has every right to make as much money as possible because chances are when their career is over,  they will not lead a normal physical life so I never say this guy isn't worth this or he shouldn't  be paid unless he is clearly dogging it like Wilk was. KO's job is pretty much to smash into or be smashed into on every play. The human body was not made to take that kind of abuse. Yeah, he deserves to get paid for that.

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

Not at all. I'm saying that if the issue is really what has been stated in this thread, that a player says he's hurt, the team Dr's tested him and cleared him to play, and he insists on having surgery anyway, then that is a major problem, and I don't think the player has a leg to stand on. Have nothing against the guy, but I seriously doubt that any DR. would ever clear a player if there was a chance that he really was hurt.

These aren't  regular Drs. I had to go to the hospital for special surgery for my ankle injury and Dr. Hersh was the guy they sent me to. He is the same Dr. The Jets used (hope I'm remembering his name right, it was a long time ago). We started to talk about NFL players and let's  just say he doesn't necessarily  give them the same treatment as he would give me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

Player wants to be healthy for next year; isn't doing anything here anyway - would you want to set back your career for a 1-4 team playing in the same division as Pats.

Jets are posturing, but should trade him to a team he is willing to go out and play for (or trade and sign and go to IR). He isn't here next year anyway, so might as well get something for him if you can.

Either way, player shouldn't have to sacrifice his future to play for any team, let alone a team that isn't going anywhere this year.

• WTF? 1

Even if he did have the injury from before the trade, and/or concealed it until now and its feasible he can keep playing the Jets should just bite the bullet and cut him to save the bad press. Player safety is a big issue, and this could spiral out real fast into an ugly situation

20 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Why should he not be paid? And wtf do you care? Is it your money? Does this some how effect the team. Hey, here's  a thought, he gets the surgery, rehabs, comes back healthy and maybe we have a quality OL next season instead of the injured piece of trash we have been watching 

Because HE has decided he cant play and isnt contributing to his team.  

Sit out from your job, file a comp case, have them send you to a Dr, have him say youre fine to work, sit out anyway and see if you get a check.

So that he can get "fixed" and have that pay off for him with whoever he plays with next season, because hes not playing here 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Here is how I feel about players making money. I think every player has every right to make as much money as possible because chances are when their career is over,  they will not lead a normal physical life so I never say this guy isn't worth this or he shouldn't  be paid unless he is clearly dogging it like Wilk was. KO's job is pretty much to smash into or be smashed into on every play. The human body was not made to take that kind of abuse.

So dont play football.  But why because the job description is what it is does that mead we throw extra money to a situation that doesnt exist anywhere else in the country.  He wants to take the year off, completely to get healthy enough to play next year somewhere else.  Drs say he can play.  He apparently has played with this for a while but now he needs to fix his shoulder and essentially take a year off.  But Mo was the clearly the dog that annoys you?  Odd 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Seriously? 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

You seriously think after what your saw out of him on the OL and the way hes acting, after filing a grievance that there is any chance of being on this team next year?  And that he would help, solidifying our OL?  

Really?  

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So dont play football.  But why because the job description is what it is does that mead we throw extra money to a situation that doesnt exist anywhere else in the country.  He wants to take the year off, completely to get healthy enough to play next year somewhere else.  Drs say he can play.  He apparently has played with this for a while but now he needs to fix his shoulder and essentially take a year off.  But Mo was the clearly the dog that annoys you?  Odd 

Look, the issue has changed now. I think this is about more than his shoulder. For some reason he is trying to mess with the trade for Smith. That is BS. 

As far as the premise of what I said, what you described is what happens with every player in the league that has this injury situation.  They get paid. Why should he not. If you are going to tell me he hid this injury, who is at fault there? If you buy a dozen eggs and you get home and 3 are broken, is it the grocery stores fault you bought less than what you paid for or is it yours  for not opening the cover and inspecting them. The Jets are supposed to know if these players are fit before they sign them and if they get injured like tearing g a shoulder muscle,  shouldn't  the trainer have spotted this?

• Thumb Down 2

15 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Look, the issue has changed now. I think this is about more than his shoulder. For some reason he is trying to mess with the trade for Smith. That is BS. 

As far as the premise of what I said, what you described is what happens with every player in the league that has this injury situation.  They get paid. Why should he not. If you are going to tell me he hid this injury, who is at fault there? If you buy a dozen eggs and you get home and 3 are broken, is it the grocery stores fault you bought less than what you paid for or is it yours  for not opening the cover and inspecting them. The Jets are supposed to know if these players are fit before they sign them and if they get injured like tearing g a shoulder muscle,  shouldn't  the trainer have spotted this?

Because this isnt what happens to every player whos injured.  Hes a player where Drs say he isnt injured enough to sit and get opened up now.  That he could play, fix the shoulder in the offseason.  

Why if doctors clear him to play today are we complaining that the injury should have been spotted before?  Players play in pain every week

I take the side of the player in almost every case.  That he didnt want or need to fix the shoulder before coming here and now wants to take the year off after being benched, Im sorry, rehab on someone elses dime, the injury didnt happen here but its on our dime, while he contributes nothing?  

42 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because this isnt what happens to every player whos injured.  Hes a player where Drs say he isnt injured enough to sit and get opened up now.  That he could play, fix the shoulder in the offseason.  

Why if doctors clear him to play today are we complaining that the injury should have been spotted before?  Players play in pain every week

I take the side of the player in almost every case.  That he didnt want or need to fix the shoulder before coming here and now wants to take the year off after being benched, Im sorry, rehab on someone elses dime, the injury didnt happen here but its on our dime, while he contributes nothing?  

Ok, think about this. A Dr. tell you you need surgery to fix this, are you going to say well I'll get the surgery in a few months because I want to do something else or do you get the surgery. I can't  understand why everyone thinks they own this guy like he's a slave to the Jets. He has rights but not his player rights which is what he is messing with now so I'm not really defending him. Had this information been available before, I probably never write what I did even though it is what I believe when it comes to injury.

• Thumb Down 2

22 hours ago, Skeptable said:

He had to pass the Jets physical for the trade to be complete?  How could he hide it? 

14 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, think about this. A Dr. tell you you need surgery to fix this, are you going to say well I'll get the surgery in a few months because I want to do something else or do you get the surgery. I can't  understand why everyone thinks they own this guy like he's a slave to the Jets. He has rights but not his player rights which is what he is messing with now so I'm not really defending him. Had this information been available before, I probably never write what I did even though it is what I believe when it comes to injury.

I do like most players, if I can play today, other doctors are saying I can play, I play.  

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I do like your egg analogy because he is a rotten egg.  Ohsmelly gotta go.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

He had to pass the Jets physical for the trade to be complete?  How could he hide it? 

By saying it doesn't hurt... And/or the pain is mild and he can play through it and now that the salary is guaranteed multiple 'injuries and sicknesses' have popped up and he is choosing not to play through pain... This is just one example of how he can game the system... The biggest example at the moment is the Ramsey 'back injury'. 

There are so many people that just Believe the leak without context and we don't know the full story yet... But based on his history including last 2 years in Oakland, this guy has had problems with their medical team not believing his injuries also... 

The Jets have never had any problems with something like this through all their terrible FO executives. So I tend to side with them until more information is known

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

I couldn't fathom a reason for the team to change MRIs...they'd have to know that would come out in any legal proceeding. The risk wouldn't be worth the reward. It's too fantastical to be true.

Pretty sure Connor Hughes reported yesterday that was false. 

I really have no idea what to make of this story.  Just hate it when players and teams air their dirty laundry in public.  Curious to see how it will play out.  Jalen Ramsey couldn't play for a month in Jax with a "back injury" and got himself traded to the Rams.  KO does not want to play through a shoulder injury -- may be legit; maybe not.  But right now it is a bad look for both player and team.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Look, I'm not going to comment on this further. There is a certain poster here who feels the need to give me butt fumbles every time I give my opinion and I've had enough of it. 

LOL, hes a clueless clown who does this to everyone.

Know exactly who you're dealing with

I think this is more a financial dispute than health issue.
Osemele knew he was going to be benched and released after the season.
Suddenly the injury became to much to play with. Now he wants the surgery so he can claim his decline in play was injury related and hope to score a bigger payday next year.
The Jets are likely looking for an out on the $5-6 mill remaining, so the fine and likely soon to follow suspension will allow them to void his remaining guaranteed money.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1