Was Last Week A Fluke?

BettyBoop

Lots of things went well for the Jets last week, not the least of which was Darnold's impact on the team.  He's terrific.  It remains to be seen if he's a franchise QB but he's good.  Really good.  But there were other surprises which if they continue will have a significant impact on this team.

• Offensive Line - it wasn't perfect but it was light years ahead of the first four weeks of the season.  Edoga played really well.  Can he be relied upon to be a staple in this line for years to come?  Maybe.  Can Alex Lewis be penciled in at RG for next season?  Maybe.  Replacing three OL is a heck of a lot more plausible than replacing five.  This is the biggest question mark for the rest of the season.
  • Greg Williams - could be the coordinator of the NFL this year if he continues to get the best of out his players.  Will this continue especially if CJ picks up where he left off.  Can Williams continue to use smoke and mirrors to hide the deficiencies on that side of the ball?
  • Cornerbacks - Did anyone think they could hold up as well as they have?  Doubtful.  Is there a starting #2 CB on this team for next year?  Good question.  Bless is finally on the field.  I would love to see him get some playing time in the second half of the season.
  • Quinnen - Can he be the cornerstone DL this team needs for be a solid defense?  If so, Leo could (and should) be traded for a third round pick in two weeks.

If this team continues to play the way they did six days ago the calculus of the 2020 off season changes drastically.  It would mean the main pieces needed would be LT or RT (depending on Edoga), C, RG, pass rusher and CB.  Of course a #1 receiver would help but I'm inclined to think that could be had in a solid if not spectacular free agent.  The first three picks will no doubt be focused on a LT, C and pass rusher.   Can Douglas hit three home runs?  I'd be happy with a home run and two doubles.  Playoffs or not, there is a lot to be had the rest of the season.

Just now, BettyBoop said:

Lots of things went well for the Jets last week, not the least of which was Darnold's impact on the team.  He's terrific.  It remains to be seen if he's a franchise QB but he's good.  Really good.  But there were other surprises which if they continue will have a significant impact on this team.

• Offensive Line - it wasn't perfect but it was light years ahead of the first four weeks of the season.  Edoga played really well.  Can he be relied upon to be a staple in this line for years to come?  Maybe.  Can Alex Lewis be penciled in at RG for next season?  Maybe.  Replacing three OL is a heck of a lot more plausible than replacing five.  This is the biggest question mark for the rest of the season.
  • Greg Williams - could be the coordinator of the NFL this year if he continues to get the best of out his players.  Will this continue especially if CJ picks up where he left off.  Can Williams continue to use smoke and mirrors to hide the deficiencies on that side of the ball?
  • Cornerbacks - Did anyone think they could hold up as well as they have?  Doubtful.  Is there a starting #2 CB on this team for next year?  Good question.  Bless is finally on the field.  I would love to see him get some playing time in the second half of the season.
  • Quinnen - Can he be the cornerstone DL this team needs for be a solid defense?  If so, Leo could (and should) be traded for a third round pick in two weeks.

If this team continues to play the way they did six days ago the calculus of the 2020 off season changes drastically.  It would mean the main pieces needed would be LT or RT (depending on Edoga), C, RG, pass rusher and CB.  Of course a #1 receiver would help but I'm inclined to think that could be had in a solid if not spectacular free agent.  The first three picks will no doubt be focused on a LT, C and pass rusher.   Can Douglas hit three home runs?  I'd be happy with a home run and two doubles.  Playoffs or not, there is a lot to be had the rest of the season.

Sometimes teams have a "breakout game" where things start clicking. I firmly believe the Jets are going win a lot of games moving forward this season. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Maybe but it worked well to encourage the predicted swing to elite greatness from dumpster fire by the jets fan base.

Remember two weeks ago when we were gonna fire everyone? I read something about “unstoppable” this week. It doesn’t take much for us.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Haha 2

Well there is an old saying that goes something like this: You're never as good as you look when you win and you're never as bad as you look when you lose. Or something like that. I think that applies here. The Jets are going to have some growing pains going forward. Darnold is going to look all world some weeks and he will look bad on others. All part of the growing pains. Same goes for Edoga etc. This team is in the process of becoming. They have some pieces, some are not even on the team yet. They are a work in progress. Think of them as entering the pupa stage.

It wasn't a fluke. In both games Darnold started the Jets were competitive against good teams won one and should have won both. You could see the players energized last Sunday with him at Qb and after he showed his talent and guts. He motivated all of them to step it up. 

A good % of throws completed were mostly due to Darnold’s natural talent, insane inane mobile ability, uncanny pocket awareness, and quick mental processing.

The OL didn’t get better. Gase was able to use the full playbook, but it’s not like he was designing anything defenses haven’t seen before.

Darnold is no fluke. Gase just has to keep trusting Darnold...and Douglas needs to build a professional OL, add a couple of offensive playmakers and in a couple of years we might have a team worth contending.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

A good % of throws completed were mostly due to Darnold’s natural talent, insane inane mobile ability, uncanny pocket awareness, and quick mental processing.

The OL didn’t get better. Gase was able to use the full playbook, but it’s not like he was designing anything defenses haven’t seen before.

Darnold is no fluke. Gase just has to keep trusting Darnold...and Douglas needs to build a professional OL, add a couple of offensive playmakers and in a couple of years we might have a team worth contending.

You left out incredible accuracy. 

The guy puts the ball exactly where it needs to be.  It's truly impressive and fun to watch.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1