How is Daniel Jones looking now?

Alka

Be more concerned how he looks next time he plays. See if he can pull himself up and elevate his team next week. Dealing with adversity was one of the things they touted about him coming out of Duke. We will see next week. 

One thing I appreciate  about Sam is when he plays badly I can always convince myself he will bounce back and rise to the occasion. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Did you watch the game today? Sam never looked like what happened today. Bill Belichick made Sam look bad, he does that to rookies. Dimes lost to the cornerback from Remember the Titans today, that isn't good.

In preparation for tonight, I re-watched that game last year over the weekend.  And while Darnold did not play like he had the three previous games last year (or this year thus far) I don't think he was SO bad.  I almost forgot about our late-2018 team.  He had Eli McGuire as his back, he was throwing to Andre Roberts and Burnett!!!!  I mean Roberts can sure deliver a mean kickoff return, but a decent WR he is not.  and then you look at the OL Darnold had.....nuff said.....

then we had our wonderful defense.  we were just getting blown out, so not much Sam could do to be honest.  had some dropped balls, but also some "Sammy-esque" just absolutely gorgeous throws!

yes, we lost the game.  but Sam was still a rookie and had ZERO interceptions, whereas Danny boy.....well you get my point.  Jones just looks absolutely lost out there.  Sam just was always running for his life because of our awful OL and the fact his WRs were awful and could not get any separation.  and when they did, they dropped passes.

Hoping for a better result tonight!

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Alka said:

In 5 starts, Daniel Jones has had 7 interceptions and 5 fumbles.

I do think that he will turn out to be a decent QB, but for the Giants coaching staff who at first gushed about how great Daniel Jones is, I don't see them gushing at the moment.  

rex ryan predators GIF by NHL

13 hours ago, Jumbo2927 said:

That said it’s way too early in his career to say anything definitive about him. The media set him up for failure after week 1.

The media has been easy on him, kissing his and the Giants ass for weeks. Going into yesterday's game, they picked the Giants to win and get "back" into the playoff hunt.  

Playoffs?  What? 

23 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Be more concerned how he looks next time he plays. See if he can pull himself up and elevate his team next week. Dealing with adversity was one of the things they touted about him coming out of Duke. We will see next week. 

One thing I appreciate  about Sam is when he plays badly I can always convince myself he will bounce back and rise to the occasion. 

Duke lost like 7 games a year with Jones at QB. Seems like he dealt with losing one week by coming back and losing again the next week more often than most good college QBs.

And before we blame it on Duke football sucking, Duke won 8 games the year before Jones and is 4-3 this year. So basically the presence of a franchise NFL QB on their team did nothing to elevate them from what they normally are as a team.

Duke the last 5 years:

2019 4-3 post-Jones

2018 8-5 

2017 7-6

2016 4-8

2015 8-5 pre-jones

30 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The media has been easy on him, kissing his and the Giants ass for weeks. Going into yesterday's game, they picked the Giants to win and get "back" into the playoff hunt.  

Playoffs?  What? 

they should have won.  Cards are an AWFUL team, and they were home.  they had a backup RB rush for 7 yards/carry I think?  crazy!  as for playoffs, the NFC East is awful as well.  if they had won yesterday, they would have been one game out of 1st place, which is crazy to think about.

man, I wish we could have that Philly game back with Sam.  like I always say:  it's not WHO you play, but WHEN you play them.  swap out the philly game for Washington.  I think even Falk could have won that game.....oh well....

11 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

they should have won.  Cards are an AWFUL team, and they were home.  they had a backup RB rush for 7 yards/carry I think?  crazy!  as for playoffs, the NFC East is awful as well.  if they had won yesterday, they would have been one game out of 1st place, which is crazy to think about.

man, I wish we could have that Philly game back with Sam.  like I always say:  it's not WHO you play, but WHEN you play them.  swap out the philly game for Washington.  I think even Falk could have won that game.....oh well....

Was saying the same thing yesterday.  With Sam I think we would have seen a totally different game vs the Eagles.  

Giants were awful, I could care less where they would have been with a win. Theyre going to get killed against the Cowboys and Eagles, have no chance of winning the division and two teams arent coming out of the NFC least into the playoffs.  How do you lose so badly to the Cards at home?  

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Those "Danny Dimes" shirts are finding their way to the bargin bin in a hurry.  

While I truly don't care about Daniel Jones, somewhere in the deep recesses of my consciousness, his failures make me happy.  8-)

Which begs the question - which premature nickname was more cringe worthy?

The Sanchize

Danny Dimes

Mangenius

1 minute ago, Legend Killa7 said:

until jones takes them to 2 AFC championship games, the answer is obvious.

I will give Sanchez credit for playing well in the post season however; I think it's a mischaracterization to say he "took them to 2 AFC championship games". The defense, special teams, offensive line & running game took them there. Sanchez was mostly along for the ride. QB's get too much credit for what their teams do far too often.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Legend Killa7 said:

In preparation for tonight, I re-watched that game last year over the weekend.  And while Darnold did not play like he had the three previous games last year (or this year thus far) I don't think he was SO bad.  I almost forgot about our late-2018 team.  He had Eli McGuire as his back, he was throwing to Andre Roberts and Burnett!!!!  I mean Roberts can sure deliver a mean kickoff return, but a decent WR he is not.  and then you look at the OL Darnold had.....nuff said.....

then we had our wonderful defense.  we were just getting blown out, so not much Sam could do to be honest.  had some dropped balls, but also some "Sammy-esque" just absolutely gorgeous throws!

yes, we lost the game.  but Sam was still a rookie and had ZERO interceptions, whereas Danny boy.....well you get my point.  Jones just looks absolutely lost out there.  Sam just was always running for his life because of our awful OL and the fact his WRs were awful and could not get any separation.  and when they did, they dropped passes.

Hoping for a better result tonight!

I don't think folks realize that the Giants OL is rated in the top 6! 

Think on this, the Jets OL literally couldn't snap Darnold the football last year, let that sink in and the revolving door on the OL this year tells you what Darnold has had to work with.

You put Darnold on the Giants and it wouldn't even be close and I am not sure Daniel Jones would argue the point to be honest.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Those "Danny Dimes" shirts are finding their way to the bargin bin in a hurry.  

While I truly don't care about Daniel Jones, somewhere in the deep recesses of my consciousness, his failures make me happy.  8-)

I wouldn't  write him off yet. As was mentioned he is a rookie. Peyton broke the int. record  as a rookie. I would say the one thing that I would be worried about is his ball security.  The strips aren't  because he is holding the ball lime a loaf of bread, it is more that he has no pocket presence.  On the Jones strip, Danny was looking right at him or at least he should have been since he was coming straight up the middle and he literally  just slapped the ball out of his hands right in front of him. I don't  think I have ever seen that before. I have a feeling Jones either froze and resiges to taking the sack or he was locked onto a receiver and didn't  even see him. Either way that was an example of no feel for the pocket. 

24 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I will give Sanchez credit for playing well in the post season however; I think it's a mischaracterization to say he "took them to 2 AFC championship games". The defense, special teams, offensive line & running game took them there. Sanchez was mostly along for the ride. QB's get too much credit for what their teams do far too often.

Completely disagree here.

Sanchez and the Jets were the aberration.  Jets had the best defense and running game in the NFL.  Those two things together are rare and that's why the Jets were good.

In almost every other case the QB is more or less the sole reason why a team wins or loses.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I agree 100%, but he was part of those teams.  and Jones has done......nothing.

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Completely disagree here.

Sanchez and the Jets were the aberration.  Jets had the best defense and running game in the NFL.  Those two things together are rare and that's why the Jets were good.

In almost every other case the QB is more or less the sole reason why a team wins or loses.

Obviously we're at opposite ends of the spectrum on this one. Some quick examples from this season:

Is Brady why the Pats are 6-0?

Is Bridgewater why the Saints are undefeated (5-0) without Brees?

Is Matt Moore why the Chiefs smoked the Broncos when Mahommes went out?

Is Delvin Hodges why the Steelers won @SD last week?

2 hours ago, Legend Killa7 said:

this kid is OLDER than Sam.  I don't wanna hear all this rookie crap.  they have played football for the same amount o time; Sam was actually good, and left early.  And keep in mind:  Sam still has not played a full 16 games yet.

the only thing the media like better than tearing a player/team down is then following that up by building them up!  They (unfairly) killed this kid for bing the 6th pick in the draft.  then he goes 5 for 5 against the Jets 2nd/3rd stringers in PRESEASON and they put him in Canton.  then he goes against a bad Tampa team in a game he should have lost and further build him up.  it's crazy.  the kid looks absolutely lost back there.

Who cares how old he is it’s time in the nfl and being exposed to a nfl playbook which is three times the size of a typical college playbook and learning how to read nfl defenses

Before I get ridiculed for defending Jones we made the same exact arguments to defend Sam last year and they were valid then and now

• Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Who cares how old he is it’s time in the nfl and being exposed to a nfl playbook which is three times the size of a typical college playbook and learning how to read nfl defenses

Before I get ridiculed for defending Jones we made the same exact arguments to defend Sam last year and they were valid then and now

I don't remember Darnold ever having Luke Falk-esque pocket presence last year. I do drink heavily during football though.

I haven't seen all of his games and only watched a part of yesterdays. He is having a big problem adjusting to the rush. But he has a great touch on the ball and has the talent to be extremely accurate. I've seen him in our exhibition game and reg season make some great throws that most Qbs can't make. I think he's going to be very good. And in NYC there will be two good Qbs maybe Pro Bowlers.