Sign in to follow this  
More Cowbell

Instant Replay needs to be thrown out

I don't think it should be scrapped but something needs to be fixed. I don't understand how it's so obvious sitting on your couch while the refs take 20 minutes to review something.

• Upvote 4

The real issue is that they are overturning calls when there isn't clear-cut evidence to overrule the call. That is what is really needed to enforce, and it's obvious that is not what is happening. 

• Upvote 1

Yea, the when in doubt send it to NY for review is killing the game 

you want them to get calls right but a flag on every play takes fun aways from watching, can't cheer until after the review or check for flags

• Upvote 1

You’re wrong. The calls at the end of the Chargers game were correct. But Al Riveron is what needs to be thrown out of the league, not the replay system. 

• Upvote 1

I like fatass’s idea from NFL Radio. Hire permit full time refs instead of part timers that work their way up through college and bring in an extra ref that sits in a booth and watches the game that can call down if needed. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I like fatass’s idea from NFL Radio. Hire permit full time refs instead of part timers that work their way up through college and bring in an extra ref that sits in a booth and watches the game that can call down if needed. 

That's good - I'd go a step further, give each team 2 challenges per half that don't affect timeouts - under 2 minutes, booth challenges only.

And no PI challenges.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Yeah it is the obvious solution but the NFL Competition committee just can never seem to get out of their way, and for some reason have always been opposed to altering things that alter the "sanctity" of the on field ref. Reality is that people in a bar may know more about a particular call than the refs on the field. There needs to be a Sky Judge for each team and they need to focus on getting things right, NOT upholding the call on the field as they are doing today. 

The pass interference replays are really interesting... I think before this week something like 7 out of 40 calls had been successful. So around 17%. 

I think its two things... 1: There's still no clear definition of what the hell PI is. It changes game to game and ref to ref. They NFL hardly disputes that. There seems to be different rules to calling PI on a replay than if it was actually called on the field... If they don't call it it feels like they need to see something clearly blatant to call it off replay. Feels like there's at least 2 sets of rules. 

And 2: I think the refs hate being wrong. They don't want 'tick' marks on their end of the year review full of overturned or missed calls. So they can rebel against that by basically doing nothing and making up some nonsense explanation later... And no one outside of the media can question them on it. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

You’re wrong. The calls at the end of the Chargers game were correct. But Al Riveron is what needs to be thrown out of the league, not the replay system. 

So you could see the ball that I couldn't  on a 4K TV? The best angle was down the goal lime from the left pylon  because that was the only one you could see his butt hitting the ground but I could not see the ball because he was holding it on the opposite  shoulder.  

I didn’t like it 20 years ago I don’t like it now they still f-ck up calls and it breaks up the game action 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

So you could see the ball that I couldn't  on a 4K TV? The best angle was down the goal lime from the left pylon  because that was the only one you could see his butt hitting the ground but I could not see the ball because he was holding it on the opposite  shoulder.  

The replay clearly showed he was short of the goal line when his butt hit the turf. It wasn’t even close. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Sky Marshal. Make it happen.

20191021_115904.jpg.c06e0bee5e1d3de96857637b9f0db482.jpg

27 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

The pass interference replays are really interesting... I think before this week something like 7 out of 40 calls had been successful. So around 17%. 

I think its two things... 1: There's still no clear definition of what the hell PI is. It changes game to game and ref to ref. They NFL hardly disputes that. There seems to be different rules to calling PI on a replay than if it was actually called on the field... If they don't call it it feels like they need to see something clearly blatant to call it off replay. Feels like there's at least 2 sets of rules. 

And 2: I think the refs hate being wrong. They don't want 'tick' marks on their end of the year review full of overturned or missed calls. So they can rebel against that by basically doing nothing and making up some nonsense explanation later... And no one outside of the media can question them on it. 

I think the only time PI should be called is when you alter the WR opportunity  to make a catch like grabbing his shoulder and turning his body, or pinning his arm to his body which is the most common no call. The last PI in the Dallas game against Adams was pure BS. He had his hand on the receivers back but that didn't  prevent the player from doing anything. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

The replay clearly showed he was short of the goal line when his butt hit the turf. It wasn’t even close. 

Of there was a clear shot of the ball with his butt on the turf, why didn't  they show it? The only time I could see the ball was when he was on his back already.

It didn’t matter that you couldn’t see the ball. His entire body was short of the line the instant he plopped onto the ground. End of story. 

replay.PNG.d3214be55e7df346df7599acfde0c675.PNG

• Upvote 3

I agree. Get rid of it. Just let them make the calls and dont allow them to play multi angle ba anymore

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

It didn’t matter that you couldn’t see the ball. His entire body was short of the line the instant he plopped onto the ground. End of story. 

his butt is down and the ball is not near the goal line.  Good call. OP is delusional on this one.  Suggest a new TV.  The 4k ain't working for you.

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

It simply is not working. Last night Rivers threw a game winning TD pass to Ekler and it was overturned on replay. I'm pretty sure the network showed every camera angle possible and I even did my own stop motion on it  and you just could not clearly see where the ball was when his butt hit the turf but I could see afterward he had the ball up around his shoulder when he was on the ground. The call on the field should have stood because there was not clear evidence.  I have no idea what is going on with Refs at the end of games this season. It's  like they are insisting  on injecting themselves in every pivotal  play. 

This already happened and then they brought it back again... 

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

Agree that he’s short but they really should have straight on, right down the goal line camera angles, and there really isn’t an excuse not to in a multi-billion dollar industry. Pretty sure the right angle here would show him being much closer than this one which is from a couple yards deep in the end zone. What happened to the pylon cam?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Right people liked instant replay to reduce bad calls but then it slowed the game so they took it away. Then people complained about bad calls so they brought it back. Now people are complaining it slows the game too much. 

The cycle will continue.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Is this a test or something?

10 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

Agree that he’s short but they really should have straight on, right down the goal line camera angles, and there really isn’t an excuse not to in a multi-billion dollar industry. Pretty sure the right angle here would show him being much closer than this one which is from a couple yards deep in the end zone. What happened to the pylon cam?

OK, that is actually the best shot I have seen. Strange this angle wasn't shown during the game. They kept showing the one from the side where it looked like the ball could have broken the goalline as he landed. 

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Is this a test or something?

I was just saying that they already got rid of instant replay once... And then after a few years of people complaining they brought it back because they didn't want the Vinny T short of the end zone to happen again... 

Not saying one way or another... Just relaying there isn't a great solution that makes everyone happy...

The biggest problem I have with Instant Replay is that you never feel like you can celebrate a TD or big play anymore... It always feels like you have to wait till every call is confirmed before you can rejoice. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

OK, that is actually the best shot I have seen. Strange this angle wasn't shown during the game. They kept showing the one from the side where it looked like the ball could have broken the goalline as he landed. 

It was shown during the game, Cowbell. I snipped it straight from the broadcast replay. It was one of the last replays shown, so you might have missed it.

21 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I was just saying that they already got rid of instant replay once... And then after a few years of people complaining they brought it back because they didn't want the Vinny T short of the end zone to happen again... 

Not saying one way or another... Just relaying there isn't a great solution that makes everyone happy...

The biggest problem I have with Instant Replay is that you never feel like you can celebrate a TD or big play anymore... It always feels like you have to wait till every call is confirmed before you can rejoice. 

After yesterday, do you really think it's a good idea to respond to one of my posts?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

It was shown during the game, Cowbell. I snipped it straight from the broadcast replay. It was one of the last replays shown, so you might have missed it.

Possibly. I was slomoing the one shot they showed over and over and when I went back to live they may have shown this already and didn't go back to it. 

Thanks for this. 

34 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

After yesterday, do you really think it's a good idea to respond to one of my posts?

So hostile.... All I did was respond as I always do... You are harboring ill feelings... I couldn't care less. Ignore, if you want... I am still allowed to post here. 

There should be trackers in the balls that can tell you exactly pin point accuracy where the ball is and sensors in the goal line to determine exactly when ball breaches the goal line.  We should be leaning more on technology and less on human error.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

So hostile.... All I did was respond as I always do... You are harboring ill feelings... I couldn't care less. Ignore, if you want... I am still allowed to post here. 

confused funny memes GIF

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You know, some people just can't take a hint I guess

taylor swift hint GIF

Just now, Skeptable said:

taylor swift hint GIF

Look, I'm trying to tell you as politely as possible I don't think you and I should respond to each other. Why do you insist on keeping this going?