Instant Replay needs to be thrown out

18 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Look, I'm trying to tell you as politely as possible I don't think you and I should respond to each other. Why do you insist on keeping this going?

Ignore me then, not allowing me to respond on a thread because you are on it is childish... Just move on... You are choosing to keep this going... I responded to a thread you started... And instead of acting mature and moving along you are making a big deal out of this...

You chose to go off topic... I was responding to the topic at hand

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Ignore me then, not allowing me to respond on a thread because you are on it is childish... Just move on... You are choosing to keep this going... I responded to a thread you started... And instead of acting mature and moving along you are making a big deal out of this... 

fine, I'm sure you will respond again in this thread but I would just prefer you don't respond to me. it's a request. I don't see how that is being childish. 

5 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I like fatass’s idea from NFL Radio. Hire permit full time refs instead of part timers that work their way up through college and bring in an extra ref that sits in a booth and watches the game that can call down if needed. 

No offense, but every time this full-time official thing comes up--and it's been talked about for decades--I can't get over how silly the idea is. What is the NFL supposed to be paying these zebras to do the five or six days of the week when there's no football? Attend NFL rule classes? Do eye exercises to see better? Attend Weight Watchers so they can run down the field better? The answer is, there's nothing they can do to earn their pay, because being an NFL official is not a full-time job. God, what a cushy job that would be - a full-time salary to basically do nothing 86% of the time.

The NFL needs to do only two things to straighten out its officiating mess: Fire Al Riveron and replace him with someone who's not afraid to overrule officials, and create the sky judge.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, BroadwayRay said:

No offense, but every time this full-time official thing comes up--and it's been talked about for decades--I can't get over how silly the idea is. What is the NFL supposed to be paying these zebras to do the five or six days of the week when there's no football? Attend NFL rule classes? Do eye exercises to see better? Attend Weight Watchers so they can run down the field better? The answer is, there's nothing they can do to earn their pay, because being an NFL official is not a full-time job. God, what a cushy job that would be - a full-time salary to basically do nothing 86% of the time.

The NFL needs to do only two things to straighten out its officiating mess: Fire Al Riveron and replace him with someone who's not afraid to overrule officials, and create the sky judge.

I always hated the full time ref argument... It's not like they are going to hone their craft because now they get paid full time... 

They do need basically an arbitrator to overrule the refs

• Sympathy 1

So.  Back on the topic of instant replay.  I always thought that the only time a call should be overturned is if you look at the replay and it is clear and obvious on intiial review that a call was wrong.  If you can't tell immedaately that a mistake was made, then stick with the call on the field and move on.  No zooming in from multiple angles and stopping the video frame by frame.  If you need to do that, stick with the call on the field. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

So.  Back on the topic of instant replay.  I always thought that the only time a call should be overturned is if you look at the replay and it is clear and obvious on intiial review that a call was wrong.  If you can't tell immedaately that a mistake was made, then stick with the call on the field and move on.  No zooming in from multiple angles and stopping the video frame by frame.  If you need to do that, stick with the call on the field. 

Agreed, still hate the feeling that you can't celebrate until they kick the extra point feeling. It has ruined a lot of the immediate response you have. Good or bad

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Don't  these refs make enough money for this to be their only job? I mean I would definitely  be looking for other work in the off season but I think the compensation is good

6 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

It simply is not working. Last night Rivers threw a game winning TD pass to Ekler and it was overturned on replay. I'm pretty sure the network showed every camera angle possible and I even did my own stop motion on it  and you just could not clearly see where the ball was when his butt hit the turf but I could see afterward he had the ball up around his shoulder when he was on the ground. The call on the field should have stood because there was not clear evidence.  I have no idea what is going on with Refs at the end of games this season. It's  like they are insisting  on injecting themselves in every pivotal  play. 

Three straight call losses for the Chargers.

All three were right.  Chargers weren't screwed.

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Don't  these refs make enough money for this to be their only job? I mean I would definitely  be looking for other work in the off season but I think the compensation is good

No, theyre not.

Every one of these refs has a ton of money though, dont need the job

6 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I like fatass’s idea from NFL Radio. Hire permit full time refs instead of part timers that work their way up through college and bring in an extra ref that sits in a booth and watches the game that can call down if needed. 

So they can stop the game after every play.

Or some fans can whine that their teams plays didnt go to the replay booth and its fixed.

Tough to do it so someone isnt complaining.  No way its going to be 100%.  I dont think anyone believes that it can be.  Just think theyre trying to be better than the live call only.

43 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Apparently they already have some full time refs so that clearly that isn’t working. 

36 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Link

I don't  know about you, bit I think I would be ok with this as my salary for a part time job

Point is they dont want any ref to be able to be bought, people paid well dont risk their jobs for a payoff.  Also the feel people who have high power jobs wont risk the embarrassment of getting caught 

They dont want people like me and you, LOL

2 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

There should be trackers in the balls that can tell you exactly pin point accuracy where the ball is and sensors in the goal line to determine exactly when ball breaches the goal line.  We should be leaning more on technology and less on human error.

Tennis does such a good job with that.

I know Tennis is MUCH simpler to do and kinda built for that sport...

but Football also has A LOT more money and can def. make that happen if they wanted to.

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

The NFL can afford to pay these guys whatever NBA Refs or MLB Umpires make.  Sure, it's a great gig for the best in the business to earn - but they'll be the best in the business.

50 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

And then they feel the need to become the focal point of EVERY game.

Refs should been seen and not heard unless spoken to. 

would be less of a focal point if you remove the decision to use instant reply from the stripes and put it on the opposing team - not sure if this was the intent of the original post but could work...

Increase the Coaches/Team challenges and let the opposing team make their case or be forced to take the call on the field - the game changing plays will get challenged but the ticky tack calls will fade away because they do not matter (teams will save challenges for the plays that do matter)

baseball is better from the 7th on, Basketball the last two minutes, NFL could make the the overall game go faster and make it interesting at the end (if it's close)