I remember back when Thomas Dimitroff was a genius

slats

Falcons are bad, 2020 salary cap situation makes things worse

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 21, 2019, 10:37 AM EDT

gettyimages-1177266736-e1571668597428.jp
Getty Images

Teams sometimes try to sign a core nucleus of top players to expensive contracts in an effort to make a Super Bowl run, and then worry about the salary cap consequences later. The long-term effectiveness of that strategy is debatable, but it at least ought to produce a good team in the short term.

What the Atlanta Falcons are doing is something different: They’re one of the worst teams in the league, and they simultaneously have the worst salary cap situation in the league heading into 2020.

As noted by Zack Moore of OverTheCap.com, the Falcons project to be $8.7 million over the cap next year based only on the players they currently have under contract, before they draft any rookies or sign any free agents.

That’s largely a result of spending big money on a few key players, most notably Matt Ryan and Julio Jones, who all by themselves are expected to count for 27 percent of the Falcons’ salary cap next year. The five most expensive players on the Falcons (Ryan, Jones, Jake Matthews, Grady Jarrett and Desmond Trufant) are slated to cost more than half the salary cap. Five players. More than half of the entire salary cap.

Keep going down the roster to the Top 10 players, the Top 22 players, or however you want to slice it, and the end result is the same: The Falcons have an extraordinary amount invested in the top of their roster, which leaves precious little cap space for the rest of the roster. Next year they’re going to have to fill a lot of holes with league-minimum-salary players.

And maybe that would be OK, if the highly paid stars at the top of the roster were capable of carrying a team all by themselves. But they’re not. The Falcons are 1-6 with those highly paid stars. There’s absolutely no reason to believe they’ll be any better next year.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank said after Sunday’s loss that he still supports head coach Dan Quinn. Perhaps he realizes that the Falcons’ roster has been constructed so poorly that no coach can turn them around any time soon.

They had a good run. The reality is unless you're the Pats where it's really all about the coaching and Brady taking money illegally under the table it's almost impossible to keep the core of a championship level team together.

They'll forever be haunted by 28-3.

If the Jets finally made the Super Bowl and were winning 28-3 and lost I don't think I would ever recover. Ever.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Matt Ryan is the biggest hack in NFL history. Looks like a poster boy and spins a pretty ball, but hasn’t won sh*t that didn’t come the blood sweat and tears of Michael Turner/Devonta Freeman 

I never understood how he has the nickname Matty Ice. He’s literally the opposite. He completely crumbled everytime. He’s like an old school Kirk Cousins.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

They had a good run. The reality is unless you're the Pats where it's really all about the coaching and Brady taking money illegally under the table it's almost impossible to keep the core of a championship level team together.

If the Jets finally made the Super Bowl and were winning 28-3 and lost I don't think I would ever recover. Ever.

It's the Tannenbaum method - which I hated, but had to concede performed a function when the Jets made two AFC Championships in a row. But after that...  yeah. 

And I agree on the Super Bowl. I still have a hangover from the Jets-Broncos AFCCG. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Matt Ryan is the biggest hack in NFL history. Looks like a poster boy and spins a pretty ball, but hasn’t won sh*t that didn’t come on the blood sweat and tears of Michael Turner/Devonta Freeman 

As far as "spinning a pretty ball" I was never impressed by his arm.  Would have loved to have seen him play with the EXACT "talent" that surrounds Sam Darnold since his first day. Aside from the single SB run you have a guy who could almost never win so much as a single play-off game, and interestingly enough has ALWAYS had a tough time winning almost any game on the road.

Accumulates lots of his numbers in garbage time.  HIghly overrated.

5 hours ago, slats said:

gettyimages-1177266736-e1571668597428.jp
Getty Images

Teams sometimes try to sign a core nucleus of top players to expensive contracts in an effort to make a Super Bowl run, and then worry about the salary cap consequences later. The long-term effectiveness of that strategy is debatable, but it at least ought to produce a good team in the short term.

What the Atlanta Falcons are doing is something different: They’re one of the worst teams in the league, and they simultaneously have the worst salary cap situation in the league heading into 2020.

As noted by Zack Moore of OverTheCap.com, the Falcons project to be $8.7 million over the cap next year based only on the players they currently have under contract, before they draft any rookies or sign any free agents.

That’s largely a result of spending big money on a few key players, most notably Matt Ryan and Julio Jones, who all by themselves are expected to count for 27 percent of the Falcons’ salary cap next year. The five most expensive players on the Falcons (Ryan, Jones, Jake Matthews, Grady Jarrett and Desmond Trufant) are slated to cost more than half the salary cap. Five players. More than half of the entire salary cap.

Keep going down the roster to the Top 10 players, the Top 22 players, or however you want to slice it, and the end result is the same: The Falcons have an extraordinary amount invested in the top of their roster, which leaves precious little cap space for the rest of the roster. Next year they’re going to have to fill a lot of holes with league-minimum-salary players.

And maybe that would be OK, if the highly paid stars at the top of the roster were capable of carrying a team all by themselves. But they’re not. The Falcons are 1-6 with those highly paid stars. There’s absolutely no reason to believe they’ll be any better next year.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank said after Sunday’s loss that he still supports head coach Dan Quinn. Perhaps he realizes that the Falcons’ roster has been constructed so poorly that no coach can turn them around any time soon.

Oh holy hell, does this mean the concessions prices are going up?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, slats said:

Think how much more money they would have now if they had drafted Gholston instead of Matt Ryan!  In 2013, they got Trufant at 22.  We got Milliner at 9.  In 2015 they got Grady Jarrett at 137, we got Leonard Williams at 6.  In 2016, we got Darron Lee at 20, they got Deion Jones the pick after Hackenberg.  Let's make fun of their GM!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

The Jets are six hours from being 1-5 on their way to a fourth losing season in four years.

The Falcons are 1-5 on their way to a fourth losing season in twelve years under Dimitroff.

Result: fap thread. Because obviously.

Matt Ryan has won the division like 7 times, has 7 double digit win season and only 3 losing seasons 11 years, won OROY, MVP, 4x ProBowl, All-Pro and won the NFC but you got jakamoes on this board that rip him like he's trash while they lament over Mark Sanchez and Chad Pennington. 

6 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This is what I'm thinking.  Matt Ryan is on the downside of his career arc. He had a nice career and absolutely should've won a Superbowl. 

As for them blowing that Superbowl, it was a comedy of errors.  They certainly could've run the ball more.  But what was absolutely inexplicable was how they weren't running down the play clock before snapping the ball.  There was at least one play where there was like 12 seconds on the play clock when they hiked it.  Just mind-bogglingly foolish.  You can blame Quinn but everyone says Kyle Shanahan was the brains in that operation.  Fine, but then blame him for the bad decisions then.  Or you can blame Matt Ryan, who could've at least ran down the clock.  Just amazing!

I remember saying after that game that I'd rather the Jets never even go to a Superbowl then get there and lose the way the Falcons did.  I feel terrible for their fans and their owner (who is the one owner probably in all of pro sports who charges reasonable concession prices).