Cardinals to meet 49ers on October 2 in Mexico City

FoxJet

Cardinals to meet 49ers on October 2 in Mexico City --

For the first time in its 86-year history, the NFL will play a regular-season game outside the United States on October 2 when the Arizona Cardinals host the San Francisco 49ers in Mexico City, Mexico, the NFL announced today.

The Sunday night game at Estadio Azteca will be televised live at 8:30 PM ET in the U.S. on ESPN. Televisa will provide live television coverage throughout Mexico.

"Mexico is the country with the most NFL fans outside of the United States," said NFL Commissioner PAUL TAGLIABUE. "Our fans in Mexico are knowledgeable and passionate and they are ready for this next step. They have supported our American Bowl games in record numbers and NFL programming has been part of television in Mexico for many decades. The Cardinals and 49ers play in markets with large Hispanic communities, including many people of Mexican decent. This game will generate new excitement both in Mexico and in Hispanic communities throughout the United States, and it promises to become a milestone in the NFL

I wonder how 'honored' the Cards really are, being as the fans (yeah i know, i know) lose a home game and the team loses alot of cash from concessions and parking and tickets

surely the Mexican stadium will get to keep the money they make that night...i wonder if the NFL plans to supplement the Cards for their losses they will assume for this game? It would only make sense that they do

Not exactly a dream matchup but I guess it doesn't have to be. It will be big there.

We've had 1 NFL game here. A preseason matchup between can't remember and can't remember several years ago. Called it the American Bowl. Sold out BC Place which is 60,000 and indoors. (our BC Lions are lucky to get 20,000 a game) They tried to put a local spin on the game by showcasing some 3rd stringers that were Canadian. Nobody gave a flying **** about that, we just wanted to see NFL ball with the starters, which we got for about 1 quarter.

At least this is a regular season game. Probably be a lot of fun.

d

TOUCHDOWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

not

GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

remember that Mexico.

Not exactly a dream matchup but I guess it doesn't have to be. It will be big there.

We've had 1 NFL game here. A preseason matchup between can't remember and can't remember several years ago. Called it the American Bowl. Sold out BC Place which is 60,000 and indoors. (our BC Lions are lucky to get 20,000 a game) They tried to put a local spin on the game by showcasing some 3rd stringers that were Canadian. Nobody gave a flying **** about that, we just wanted to see NFL ball with the starters, which we got for about 1 quarter.

At least this is a regular season game. Probably be a lot of fun.

d

We had one a few years ago. Steelers and Bears. Unfortunately there was a very small crowd. One fun thing was a load of us deciding to do soccer style chants and songs about the Bus and the Steelers which went down well with the Steeler fans. Bears fans weren't quite as impressed.

Ken...you're right, they probably will have the soccer nets up, they'll use them as the nets for the field goal posts that will be white most likely and the midfield logo will be a soccer ball with Mexico written on it.

Archived