Darnold: Im seeing ghosts

Dan Patrick made a really good point this morning.

Darnold never should have been mic'd up to begin with.

Protect your young franchise QB.  He's going against the #1 defense and a coach who has a 20+ year history of doing this to young QBs.

The FO should have anticipated that the game might not go well and do you really want everything your 22 year old QB says during the game up for grabs to the Pats loving ESPN producers and directors.

Bad decision ok'ing the mic in the first place.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don’t care how good the OL is if a 6th guy is showing blitz at the line and no one does a thing about him, he’s going to rush and separate the QB from the football in 1.1 seconds.

But yes he was panicked. We saw the game, and his main numbers, but until someone tallies up other things — Cimini said it was what, 3 of 17 when he had 2.5+ seconds to throw? A QB having a game like that, in a panic like that, needs to be off the field. 

I have no idea if Gase is a good X/O guy unless he’s good at writing hugs and kisses in Valentine’s Day cards.

The Jets are putting way too much on the plate of a 22 year old QB, and certainly don’t have a good infrastructure around him. That said his performance yesterday was as bad as I’ve seen in a long time. Take the sack if you need to, but he killed the team last night with his turnovers. 

• Upvote 1

Everyone.  Fans, teammates, coaches, taxi drivers, dog walkers, the maid...  everyone needs to tell Sam he was horrible and an embarrassment.

Fix it or ya gotta go.  No coddling the Cali kid.

I don't care if you only play with 3 offensive linemen blocking for you.  Cannot play THAT freakin bad.

That was just weak.

I think he will turn it around next week.  But I don't want a QB who crumbles like that under pressure.  Keep the pressure on to find out if the kid has balls.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Everyone.  Fans, teammates, coaches, taxi drivers, dog walkers, the maid...  everyone needs to tell Sam he was horrible and an embarrassment.

Fix it or ya gotta go.  No coddling the Cali kid.

I don't care if you only play with 3 offensive linemen blocking for you.  Cannot play THAT freakin bad.

That was just weak.

I think he will turn it around next week.  But I don't want a QB who crumbles like that under pressure.  Keep the pressure on to find out if the kid has balls.

Exactly i've been saying it if he falters the rest of the season and doesn't improve we need to draft another QB until we find the right one. 

I hope he improves. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

Pats did what they always do on D.  No surprises whatsoever. They've been the most dominant D in the league so far this year.  How does Gase not game plan to at least attempt to counter what they do so well in confusing and baiting QB's?  NE defensive stats are off the chart ridiculous.   I can take a loss, but no preparation and zero in-game adjustments are inexcusable.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

There are lots of doubts. There is literally nothing empirical that shows Darnold is a sure thing. 

Nonsense. Sam will be fine. Every young QB goes through growing pains. He’s only 22 and still learning to wipe his butt. The few games he’s played will provide him with invaluable experience. He won’t forget them. He’s shown some sparks and considering the lack of talent in this team, it’s understandable how he’s struggled. Fire Gase now. JD needs to clean house, acquire as many draft picks as possible and redo this roster. 

• Upvote 1

It’s always going to be something until the wins add up and then the frustration level will come down. Hopefully this was Granite bottom for the team and can only go up from here. If we keep changing coach’s, staff yearly how does anyone know when it will work. BB as much as we come to hate the guy he is ever consistent with his team. He finds players that will buy in to his system of team first nothing else and his preparation is top notch 2nd to none right now. We have not found that type of coach as of yet, with that said though we need that type of foundation. Hopefully it happens one day and lasts for many many years just like all the other teams in the league want.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

We blamed everyone else with Chad. We blamed everyone else with Sanchez. We blamed everyone else with Geno. Coaching, the line, weaponz, playcalling...etc. We’re really gonna do this again huh. 

I am the last one to say Darnold is definitively the Man, but I'm blaming all those mother****ers.  There is enough blame to go around.  Darnold sucking doesn't absolve those other stiffs.  With that sh*t show last night, I blame every ******* one of them, up to and including the peanut vendors. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

He won't play this bad.  We can be pretty confident in that.  But, that's not ultimately the concern.  The concern is what he does under duress, and we've got a decent amount of data to suggest that he throws the ball up in the air off of his back foot.

The thing with yesterday was that there was pressure with no plan on how to handle it. It was a free blitzer in your face while Gase is running normal long routes. 

The second I saw that clip during the game I instantly felt what all the morning radio guys are yelling about - Who the **** thought it would be a good idea to let anyone put on a mic, letalone Sam?! Why on earth would you expose him like that. Sanchez is retired and the butt fumble still follows him. In a decade when Sam is washed out of the league after a career as a journeyman backup, this ghost bullsh*t will still be following him. I hate the god damn franchise 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

Dan Patrick made a really good point this morning.

Darnold never should have been mic'd up to begin with.

Protect your young franchise QB.  He's going against the #1 defense and a coach who has a 20+ year history of doing this to young QBs.

The FO should have anticipated that the game might not go well and do you really want everything your 22 year old QB says during the game up for grabs to the Pats loving ESPN producers and directors.

Bad decision ok'ing the mic in the first place.

THIS!

Mic up Jamal for christ sake since that's what he cares about. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

The thing with yesterday was that there was pressure with no plan on how to handle it. It was a free blitzer in your face while Gase is running normal long routes. 

The plays where there was someone in his face were only part of the problem.

4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

100% yes.

Meanwhile, the fact that we stink obviously isn’t Darnold’s fault, but the fact that Darnold continues to throw off his back foot to no one, certainly is.

I’m not sure you draft a QB early next year, because the team has so many needs, but the game was way too big for him last night, and if your instincts are to the throw the ball up for grabs when you’re uncertain, I’m not sure that changes.

Darnold was one hell of a talent and that's very clear, but there is such a strong correlation between games started and success in the NFL for QB's. That should have been the one lesson they took from Sanchez but they didn't, and honestly I'm cool with that. Darnold was worth taking a shot on because the improbable still happens sometimes. Going forward all we can go by is what aggregate information says and the books say that problems that arise from a lack of experience in college, probabilistically speaking, don't correct themselves in the pros. Combine that with his results thus far and there are more reasons to assess he's not the guy than reasons he is.

If I'm the Jets I am definitely taking a QB early next year. No doubt. When it comes to quarterbacks you have to play the odds. However my guess is Darnold has enough starts this year to give the Jets hope that the improbable will happen and they'll go all in on the line. That is unless a Kingsbury/Murray-type of situation happens, then who knows.

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Running normal long routes? Thats just not accurate, here is the fumble, both guys in the slot were headed to the flat and Crowder I think was open immediately, Darnold isn't even looking to throw in the second pic,

image.thumb.png.69cef8894ae043dd14c158269ad3d006.png

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am the last one to say Darnold is definitively the Man, but I'm blaming all those mother****ers.  There is enough blame to go around.  Darnold sucking doesn't absolve those other stiffs.  With that sh*t show last night, I blame every ******* one of them, up to and including the peanut vendors. 

How many years of your life would you say it's worth to find out if it's him or all the other variables? Life is short and Occam's razor really is a thing.

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Nonsense. Sam will be fine. Every young QB goes through growing pains. He’s only 22 and still learning to wipe his butt. The few games he’s played will provide him with invaluable experience. He won’t forget them. He’s shown some sparks and considering the lack of talent in this team, it’s understandable how he’s struggled. Fire Gase now. JD needs to clean house, acquire as many draft picks as possible and redo this roster. 

Growing pains, showing sparks, lack of talent...etc. Sam will be fine. You don't know that at all. These are normative football words. Empirical information is exactly that, empirical. The information thus far says that the forecast for Darnold is not good. Everyone here wants anything but that.

You're taking this personally. Don't.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

So this is the only team with bad QBs?  I mean hell half the other teams in the league are on their 2nd stringer and 3rd stringer and total unknowns and are functionig at least on a reasonable if not better level.

You watch the 1st drive and 2 guys come through untouched on a routine pass play and and int.

2nd drive and the guy we get from new England flat out drops a pass killing a drive.

Next drive again a guy comes in totally unblocked. and another disaster play.

How has contextualizing countless turnovers for the last 20 years worked out for the Jets?

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Growing pains, showing sparks, lack of talent...etc. Sam will be fine. You don't know that at all. These are normative football words. Empirical information is exactly that, empirical. The information thus far says that the forecast for Darnold is not good. Everyone here wants anything but that.

You're taking this personally. Don't.

No I don’t work in Human Resources 

I'm sure it's been said elsewhere but I don't really have interest in reading all the Darnold takes today.

My main concern right now with Darnold and Gase and this current Jets team is that everyone knows Darnold is capable of carrying them at times.  He just did it last week.  Darnold knows he can, Gase knows he can, his teammates no he can, other teams know he can etc etc.

Where my problem comes is Gase and company ask him to do it every game.  The game planning and in game adjustments are putrid. So by being so ineptly prepared, they unwittingly ask Darnold to make all these crazy plays to keep them a float, and occasional games like last night are the end result.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm sure it's been said elsewhere but I don't really have interest in reading all the Darnold takes today.

My main concern right now with Darnold and Gase and this current Jets team is that everyone knows Darnold is capable of carrying them at times.  He just did it last week.  Darnold knows he can, Gase knows he can, his teammates no he can, other teams know he can etc etc.

So this is the kind of fallacy that fans get caught up in often. Player X did Y last week, therefore he can do it again. It's what Jets fans applied to Sanchez (he took us to back-to-back AFCC games, therefore he can always do that), and Geno (he brought us back against Atlanta, therefore he can always do that). Capability and application are two very different things. Any quarterback drafted into the NFL is capable of having a good game or even several per season.

20 minutes ago, CTM said:

Running normal long routes? Thats just not accurate, here is the fumble, both guys in the slot were headed to the flat and Crowder I think was open immediately, Darnold isn't even looking to throw in the second pic,

Chris Herndon is his biggest loss.. and the corner has that read he would jump that route in heartbeat. He never takes his eyes off darnold 

17 minutes ago, CTM said:

It was 3rd and long, I think he was trying to get a 1st

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

No coddling the Cali kid.

That was just weak.

agreed. 

cant put all this on the coach.

he played worse than JP Losman, ffs.

Sam seems like a standup young man.

Needsa be said...he might be Blair Thomas all over again.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, CTM said:

staring to his right the whole time. 82 is open