Darnold: Im seeing ghosts

19 hours ago, bitonti said:

FBG pays me for O line and by the way Brady's is just as bad. They lose Wynn, they lose Andrews. They are starting Marshall newhouse at LT

Marshall. Newhouse. 

Offensive line can only do so much. Not to say the Jets are great at it in fact i have them ranked like NYJ 28 and NE 29 out of 32 but the point of drafting Darnold was that he was going to make the line better and everyone else too

if they needed to build a line they should have stayed at 6 overall and taken Nelson. The greatest guard prospect for 20 years btw. Him and the 3 second rounders rebuild the line, then you find the QB 

If what you are saying, the line is to blame, then they did it backwards

and Darnold is young but there's not an age floor on when a guy can be ruined

Hackenberg was ruined at Penn State. Carr's brother was ruined in Houston pretty quickly 

I suspect Darnold's career doesn't recover from MNF... every team is going to blitz him now until the end of the season

the Jets don't have a plan B they will keep putting him out there and Gase isn't going to help 

he's either going to somehow beat these blitzes or he's going to be shredded wheat 

this is how ruined happens. 

as with most Jets predictions I hope to be wrong

and side note it's a week before Halloween, I'm not the one who loaded the board with unlimited Ghost Gifs 

ghost GIF

I dont believe for one second that Sam Darnold is ruined after Monday night, he has much too good of a head on his shoulders.  Nevertheless - I believe a David Carr comp is very apropos.  David was a superior QB prospect but after the beating he took in Houston year after year - he was done before he ever got started.  If Sam is continually  beaten up he will eventually become David Carr.  I am hoping with Herndon back the Jets will feel more comfortable keeping someone in the backfield to block.  When you dont have WRs who can get open - quickly - you cannot afford to send WRs into the pattern who can be easily covered 1 on 1,  At least Herndon causes match-up issues for the defense.  As it stands now, Robby gets caught on the line in press coverage, and Crowder, DT and Griffen are too slow to beat anyone off the line, knowing this teams can adequately cover Bell with a safety.  Herdon should open things up a bit.

47 minutes ago, deucebag said:

If Sam is continually  beaten up he will eventually become David Carr. 

by the way

Deshaun Watson look like 90 hits last season they won 11 games i believe (Darnold took about 40 hits last year, in 4 less games)

this year the Jets have allowed 44 total hits a huge number through six games (but Darnold only played in 3 and the numbers were inflated by Falk 10 sack nonsense) meanwhile Houston has allowed 41

they are both in the top 10 of not protecting their QB

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_QBHIT 

Cimini tweeted a stat Darnold was 3-17 with 2 picks during MNF when he had 2.5 sec or more 

So yes the line is not great but other QBs manage to make plays even win games while under pressure

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

by the way

Deshaun Watson look like 90 hits last season they won 11 games i believe (Darnold took about 40 hits last year, in 4 less games)

this year the Jets have allowed 44 total hits a huge number through six games (but Darnold only played in 3 and the numbers were inflated by Falk 10 sack nonsense) meanwhile Houston has allowed 41

they are both in the top 10 of not protecting their QB

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_QBHIT 

Cimini tweeted a stat Darnold was 3-17 with 2 picks during MNF when he had 2.5 sec or more 

So yes the line is not great but QB1 is not getting crushed at David Carr rates or even close to it 

but other QBs manage to make plays even win games while under pressure

WOW!  What a terrible comp!  First of all the Texans have not beaten a team that has a pass rush aside from Jacksonville - who they only beat because of Jax's offensive ineptness in that games.  Secondly it kind of helps Deshaun that he has TWO WRs who are basically always open in Hopkins and Fuller - while Darnold has none.  

Lastly Darnold was pretty much shell-shocked from the relentless pass rush and free blitzers by the time any 2.5 second opportunities came to be..   He throwing to ghosts as they were the only ones on the field who were open.  The Pats blanketed our WRs so much to the extent that whenever Darnold got a clean pass off to a WR the Pats were called for Pass Interference - not unrealistic to assume the Jets WRs were interfered with on most plays.

Its beyond asinine to bury Darnold based off one horrific performance against the smartest and best prepared team in the NFL.  He was in his second week back from a very bad illness (and from my experience with mono) is most likely not back to full strength yet.  A pro-athlete cannot go 4 weeks of not working out to 100% in two weeks.  I would say it is fair to assume he will not be 100% for at least two more weeks.  Dont know if you ever had it - but mono destroys you - it takes awhile to recover from.  He is also just 22 years old for crying out loud, this is ONLY his 4th year of ever being a starting QB (only two years at USC), and he probably has the WORST supporting cast in the NFL!  So chill.  

18 minutes ago, deucebag said:

Lastly Darnold was pretty much shell-shocked from the relentless pass rush and free blitzers by the time any 2.5 second opportunities came to be.. 

Dont know if you ever had it - but mono destroys you - it takes awhile to recover from.

he probably has the WORST supporting cast in the NFL!  So chill.  

There were 2.5 second opportunities in the first half but even if they weren't being SHELL SHOCKED is not any kind of excuse for any NFL player

As for the mono I blame Sam for getting it. Eating out is not a constitutional right neither is making out with sweaty teenagers carrying a low grade fever. He made a decision off the field and there were consequences. Technically they could have put him on the NFI list and scratched back some game checks. 

the supporting cast stuff is what Dolphins fans said about Josh Rosen as recently as 2 weeks ago.  Considering the Dolphins have no Leveon Bell and are spending 80 mil less on Payroll it's safe to say the Fins have a worse cast

yet they manage to score points

these excuses are so flimsy I'm sorry you bought a 14 jersey 

it's ok I have an 83 Santana Moss floating around the shed as a grease rag 

we've all been there 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

There were 2.5 second opportunities in the first half but even if they weren't being SHELL SHOCKED is not any kind of excuse for any NFL player

As for the mono I blame Sam for getting it. Eating out is not a constitutional right neither is making out with sweaty teenagers carrying a low grade fever. He made a decision off the field and there were consequences. Technically they could have put him on the NFI list and scratched back some game checks. 

the supporting cast stuff is what Dolphins fans said about Josh Rosen as recently as 2 weeks ago.  Considering the Dolphins have no Leveon Bell and are spending 80 mil less on Payroll it's safe to say the Fins have a worse cast

we've all been there 

Same song year after year after year. But we are the idiots for not getting up to dance. Forgive me while I sit this one out and wait for someone to change the tune.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

we've all been there 

WOW you blame Sam for getting Mono?  You just lost all credibility.

I would say Miami and the Jets have equally bad rosters - and thats after Miami's firesale.  The Jets dont have one WR who could carry Devante Parker's jock.  A RB is useless without an offensive line, yet Mark Walton and Kenyon Drake have put up much better stats than Le'Veon Bell in spite of the fact that Bell is immensely more talented than either of them - so yes Miami's OL is bad, but not nearly as bad as the Jets - PFF ranks the Jets at 28 and the Phins at 32 - not that big of a diff BTW.

3 minutes ago, deucebag said:

WOW you blame Sam for getting Mono?  You just lost all credibility.

Look up the definition of non football injury 

it's a cruel league there's no room for excuses

the other players laugh at Sam Darnold 

it's not all the media's fault 

and ps no one cares about credibility anymore 

all that matters is what's meme able 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, jgb said:

Same song year after year after year. But we are the idiots for not getting up to dance. Forgive me while I sit this one out and wait for someone to change the tune.

those who defend Sam Darnold should be forced to disclose how many Darnold jersey's they've bought for themselves or others and how recently 

like how a stock analyst has to disclose he owns shares in Apple when he's reporting

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

those who defend Sam Darnold should be forced to disclose how many Darnold jersey's they've bought for themselves or others and how recently 

like how a stock analyst has to disclose he owns shares in Apple when he's reporting

I’m waiting for the $50 specials in 2021, along with a couple of Mark Sanchez jerseys ?

8 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I’m waiting for the $50 specials in 2021, along with a couple of Mark Sanchez jerseys ?

Don't write Darnold off yet. But don't crown him yet either.

This viewpoint apparently makes me a not-a-real-fan/SOJF/hater. Whatevs.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Troy Aikman was MUCH worse for two full seasons, and pretty awful in his third season ( and he had Irvin, Smith and Novacek by year 2).  John Elway stunk for his first three season as well.  Aaron Rogers sat on the bench for three full seasons and his first season as a starter Packer fans were cursing Ted Thompson for letting Favre go.  Favre stunk his first two seasons as well.  Not many QBs are great right out of college, especially those who only had two years of QB experience under their belt.

I am not putting Darnold into the Hall of Fame but at the same time to write him off now is insane.  A lot goes into a QBs success, coaching, supporting cast, health...   Darnold can make all the throws and has shown flashes of brilliance.  Lets get an Oline and a few NFL caliber receivers and see what he can do.  As soon as we realized our OL was much worse than thought, we lost Enuwa and then Herndon past his suspension we all should have written off the season,  This year is a mulligan, have to hope, for the first time in like forever, we have an elite draft class and actually sign free agents who improve the team.  Mac belongs in a Turkish prison for what he did to this franchise, tho the ultimate blame belongs to the drunken clueless silver spooned owners.  Hess was a clueless owner but he somehow brought us Parcels - although Parcels horrific drafting (4 impact players out of 32 selected) in his first three years of grocery shopping diminished the talent pool that Rich Kotite had accumulated.  Looking back at our draft classes over the last 14 years it's amazing we have won any games at all.   Change the paradigm and pray - thats what we have done - lets see what Joe D can do.

Lastly Darnold is freaking 22 years old - of course he's partying with FDU girls - that is the appropriate age range for him.  College is the most promiscuous time of a woman's life - so STDs, STIs and yes mono are rampant.  I went to Hofstra (graduated the same year as Wayne Chrebet - not that he ever attended class) and that year Playboy magazine rated Hofstra the most sexually active campus in the US.  It was also reported 7% of the entire Hofstra enrollment was HIV positive. (luckily, I guess, I only slept with one Hofstra girl because I had to work full time to work my way through college and had no time).  Its not like he's a Ben Rothlisberger, a 28 yo grown man purposely going to college bars with PA State Troopers and having the said State Troopers stand guard while he raped 18 yo drunken college girls. Ben should have spent 10-15 in prison, all Sam did was catch mono - so did I at his age along with millions of others.

• Upvote 1

Brady us 100% absolutely not the goat.  The pats cheated multiple times and had one of the most infamous ref calls of all time go in his favor to go along with at least two super bowls just being handed to them by the other team.

Too bad for him and Belichick and the pats as they *COULD* have been thought of among the all time great teams by most of the populace like the 49ers, raiders , steeler dynasties.  But alas 30 years from now when people not of this time are talking about them they will be talking about the cheating and not the football.

They did it to themselves.

• WTF? 2

34 minutes ago, deucebag said:

As soon as we realized our OL was much worse than thought, we lost Enuwa and then Herndon past his suspension we all should have written off the season,  This year is a mulligan,  

OK so Darnold had an injury shortened year 1 a mono shortened year 2

going into year three he has what... 4 or 5 good games out of 20+

at what point does he, ya know, develop? 

And by the way they have to pay this player 100 million dollars after Year 5 

this isn't fantasy land at a certain point a very big boy decision has to be made 

right now he's not worth 100 pesos 

anytime you want to feel optimistic about this player (OR ANY PLAYER) ask yourself what is he worth on the open market, right now 

It doesn't matter that the watch is a Rouche Foucault... in Philadelphia it's worth 50 bucks 

• 9 months later...

There's an abundance of WD symptoms.  Please, call the hot line.

If this years OL can open a few holes in the run game and Sam doesn't improve--then there's something to talk about.  Right now, he needs to get a real chance.

• Thumb Down 2

This is actually a great video and I urge people to watch (or rewatch) it now that emotions are taken out of the game. The breakdown actually leaves me more optimistic about Sam. There was a lot that he did wrong in this worst game of his career but also a lot of bad o-line play (Winters) and LeVeon blew assignments too. There were a couple of times Sam knew what he wanted to do but didn’t have great mechanics to get the ball where he wanted. I think he can clean those up this year and with finally a 2nd year in the same system should be more decisive and make faster reads allowing him to set his feet properly.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app