Zero interest in drafting another QB

Jumbo2927

On 10/22/2019 at 7:58 AM, Jumbo2927 said:

I think last night most rational Jets fan saw the writing on the wall that Darnold is not a franchise QB.

Not yet he isn't.  Nor is he "elite" as some homers like to claim.

With that said, far too early to cast him on the refuse pile or move on.

Call it an overreaction, but in a league where second year QBs are doing amazing things ours just turned in one of the worst performances I have ever seen.

Yes.  Still too early to cut him and move on.

With that said I have zero interest in taking another QB high in round 1.

As I say every year, this isn't 1970.  You CAN draft QB's as often as you want.  If we get a shot at an elite one, we might need to take him, and let the best man win.

I don't think that will happen or is needed, but a smart front office should consider it.

This organization sucks as drafting & developing QBs. The WRs and OL are bigger problems than Darnold.

Unquestionably.  With that said, the new GM just got here and hasn't run a draft yet.  Lets see how he does.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, daquix said:

You realize this was after Brady had already won a SB and was on his way to another SB ... right?

LOL.

Brady had 1 abnormally bad game against the Bills in 30-some starts.

Darnold has had 1 abnormally good game in 16 starts.

Big difference.

He also threw to a ton of wide open receivers in that Dallas game. The one time he threw to someone covered, he was intercepted. 

If you think that was one abnormally good game in 16 starts it's simply because you haven't been paying attention. Not that I'd expect a Bills fan to pay that much attention to Darnold, but don't pretend like you have.

QB's don't usually to throw to covered receivers - they try to go through progressions and find the open receiver.

8 minutes ago, daquix said:

No.

That's inaccurate. 

Now I understand why you think Darnold is good. You think this is normal. 

Did you see Wilson's 6% probability TD on TNF?

Did you see every backshoulder throw ever?
Did you see Brady throw passes into the bucket over a CB's head for 20 years?

Elite QB's don't need an "open" receiver.

First of all - where has anyone said that Darnold is elite?

I haven't said QB's don't ever throw receivers open. I said it's not what happens the majority of the time. 

Josh Allen will never be elite, btw. The consistency on his accuracy is garbage.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Allen has a better record than Darnold because Allen has a better surrounding cast, a better defense, and better coaches.   Darnold does not need to be replaced per se.   The easier and better answer is to build more around him.  That gets your to the playoffs. 

1 Josh Allen is better than Darnold because he is tougher, plays more games (available) and doesn't get mono. He stands there and takes hits or he runs with it (4.6 40 btw) and maybe he will get hurt one day but he's playing well and the team is responding

2 it's hard to build around Sam Darnold when they passed on Quenton Nelson and 3 second rounders to get him. Darnold is supposed to be elevating the play of the others around him not needing perfect everything just to function on a basic level 

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, daquix said:

So, Allen is not consistently accurate, but his completion % is higher than Sam's. 

Do you know how math works?

Let's start with English, OK? 

First of all I haven't compared Allen to Darnold. Try re-reading, but this time read all the words and slowly. Second,completion percentage is not the same as accuracy. It is a component of accuracy, but not entirely. 

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I get what you're trying to say here, but this is the rare post of yours that I think misses the point of the conversation. Why?

Positional bias. Darnold is a starting QB.

He is under 30 years old.

He was taken in the top 5 of the draft two years ago.

Every player  who fits that description would be the first player taken in an expansion draft.

None ever are though, because they are never going to be unprotected in an expansion draft.

Again, I get what you're trying to say. Darnold has the potential to be more valuable then any player on the Jets roster, but so do guys like Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Daniel Jones and even Gardiner Minshew. Potential is great, lots of QBs have it.

The important thing is that they realize that potential. How many actually do that?

Fair point.  I'm just trying to say that his combination of youth, potential, some already proven ability in 5+ excellent games, etc. really make him the most valuable asset on the entire team.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

he's a jackass

still there's no objective measurement (other than height) where Darnold is better 

Darnold had a QB rating of 3.8 the other night 

Baker might have similar stats with way better weapons at every single position on offense.

Very good post...
But....Sam was literally throwing the ball up to no one - just chucking it in the air - on the early drives when the game still within reach.
I get if you're down 20 points and you simply can't find anyone open throughout the entire 1st half...maybe you chuck it up and hope someone makes a play...
But that's not what happened here.
He definitely wasn't chucking it up hoping someone would come down with it, I agree. He wasn't seeing what was actually there, and he wasn't putting the ball anywhere near where he wanted to put it- I dont think I've seen a QB make more off-balance throws in a game. He should have taken sacks on most of them, he didn't even have time to get rid of the ball safely.
  • Upvote 1

Darnold was 3-17 with 2 ints on plays where he had 2.5 seconds or more to throw. It's not all about the OL. We know they're not good, but Darnold has to be better then he was Monday night. A lot better.
Really? I didnt re-watch the whole game, but that surprises me. Maybe in the second half, where they weren't bringing as many rushers and he wasn't in a position to keep throwing it away? I don't know, but it's not the impression that I was left with. Where did you see that stat?

20 minutes ago, isired said:
10 hours ago, 14 in Green said:
Darnold was 3-17 with 2 ints on plays where he had 2.5 seconds or more to throw. It's not all about the OL. We know they're not good, but Darnold has to be better then he was Monday night. A lot better.

Really? I didnt re-watch the whole game, but that surprises me. Maybe in the second half, where they weren't bringing as many rushers and he wasn't in a position to keep throwing it away? I don't know, but it's not the impression that I was left with. Where did you see that stat?

Cimini was the person who actually tweeted it. It might be in the game thread or in one of the Tuesday morning threads about Sam. It's definitely been posted a few times though here.

• Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Cimini was the person who actually tweeted it. It might be in the game thread or in one of the Tuesday morning threads about Sam. It's definitely been posted a few times though here.

Total BS- I rewatched the entire game. Show me a single throw that was there to be made that Darnold missed. 

7 hours ago, daquix said:

So Allen is inaccurate, yet completes more of his passes than someone who is accurate?

For goodness sake, stop digging this hole.

Only idiot jet fans would argue darnold is better then allen.  Allen is light years ahead of darnold.

Go to the bills board and enjoy with other bills fans what u have.

Why are u arguing with blind homers who are delusional?  

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Only idiot jet fans would argue darnold is better then allen.  Allen is light years ahead of darnold.

Go to the bills board and enjoy with other bills fans what u have.

Why are u arguing with blind homers who are delusional?  

Through 16 games, including Monday’s debacle, Darnold has

- more passing yards

- more passing TDs

- a higher completion %

- a better passer rating 

than josh Allen 

A smart organization would build the oline with the 1st 2 picks in the draft then take a qb with pick 3 or 4.

You do this for 2 reasons.

1- You dont have a luke falk situation again.

2- If darnold does miss extensive time, you can evaluate a kid who has some potential and may be good.  And if you have a kyle allen or gardner minshew situation, maybe you move on from darnold if he hasnt been impressive.

Putting all the eggs in darnolds basket would be the dumbest move this franchise could make.

9 minutes ago, daquix said:

How convenient of you to leave out Allen’s scrambles lol.

Last I checked, rushing yards count in football and with those in the fold the stats change to:

- Allen has more total yards (almost 800 more)

- Allen has more total TD’s (35% more in fact)

- Allen has less INT’s (less INT’s even with playing more games)

- Allen has more YPA

- Allen has a WAY better record

Than Darnold.

Not to mention, Allen had WAYYYYYY more WR drops. Approximately 800 yards and 5 TD’s of drops. Add those back in and he would be obliterating Sam.

If you want to laugh your butt off for 5 minutes straight, watch this video:

Allen has played 2 more games and has less yards and TDs than Darnold. That includes three games this year against the three worst defenses in the NFL (dolphins, giants, bengals). 

28 minutes ago, daquix said:

That’s incorrect. Josh has MORE yards, MORE TD’s, LESS INT’s, and a better record.

I mean, are you blind? You literally quoted a post that broke this all down for you.

2 games he was also knocked out in.

nice try though!

ps, read 

Oh he was knocked down because of his unsustainable and reckless running style? That’s why I evaluate my QBs on how they pass the ball.

Bengals, Giants, Dolphins. Literally the three worst defenses in the NFL. Darnold puts up 1000 Yds and 10 TDs against those three teams alone, Congrats.

5 hours ago, daquix said:

Re-read the post for a third time.

this time, make it down to the video.

That video is the most pathetic excuse I have ever seen. I can make a super cut of drops and close plays for every QB that has ever played the game.

Ever consider that WRs drop balls from Allen because he throws and uncatchable ball and has no ability to adjust velocities or throw with anticipation and timing?

OL is still the top priority, (since Brick retired) - nothing else on this team matters until a line can give any QB more than 2 seconds to throw the ball
I knew in 06 it was good to solidify our line with the Brick and Mangold picks, but didnt realize how lucky we were to hit bigtime on those 2 guys until we've gone years trying to replace them without much luck....

Actually I cant even say we've genuinely tried to replace them cause not much draft capital has been spent on those positions. Douglas needs to take a page out of the Tannenbaum/Mangini playbook and really put forth the effort to build a top tier line, starting with using our high round picks on a LT, C, etc

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, papz187 said:

I knew in 06 it was good to solidify our line with the Brick and Mangold picks, but didnt realize how lucky we were to hit bigtime on those 2 guys until we've gone years trying to replace them without much luck....

Actually I cant even say we've genuinely tried to replace them cause not much draft capital has been spent on those positions. Douglas needs to take a page out of the Tannenbaum/Mangini playbook and really put forth the effort to build a top tier line, starting with using our high round picks on a LT, C, etc

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Agreed.  Priorities 1A and 1b right now have to be OL, and weapons for Sam.  Yes, he looked like garbage on Monday night, but we still don't know what he is or what he can be.  If he fails, part of the reason could be the situation we put him in.  Bad OL.  Limited weapons.  A great back like Le'veon Bell is putting up pedestrian numbers in this offense -- it has to impact the development of a young QB.

Add weapons,  Build the OL, and if Sam does not get it done with a better supporting cast, at least we will have something in place that can help the next guy succeed.  Don't want to see the team make the same mistakes.  Again and again.

• Post of the Week 1

Josh allen has crappy rbs, crappy reciever s and crappy tight ends and hes still a boss.  The bills might have to worst collection of offensive skill positions in the league.  They are dreadful.

And josh allen continues to put them on his back w no help and win games.

Josh Allen is Light years ahead of sam darnold.  Light years.

Bills cut nearly all of them (and many are out of the NFL now).
So it's pretty safe to assume it was the WR's.
Generally if one guy has the drops, it's the guy - if multiple guys are dropping passes, its the throw.

What are they going to do, cut Allen? Don't be naive.