Can the oline be improved at least a bit this year?

Mike135

I'm not making excuses for Sam.  He sucked.  Can't just toss the ball up like that.  Throw it away every down, or take the sacks.

But the main weakness last night was the oline.  Bill saw the Dallas tape.  Instead of doing what he normally does, and take away the Jets best weapon (Bell), he just decided to send 6, 7 or 8 every time.

Oline just has no clue how to block blitzers.  We saw that on the first drive.  Sam pointed out the blitzer and the guy still wasn't picked up.

If other teams have any sense, they're gonna do the same until the Jets prove they can pick up the blitzers while having WRs who look for quick passes.  And of course while Sam just continues to toss softballs up for grabs.

So is it possible to get this oline to improve a little so they can at least put a body on blitzers instead of having free runners on almost every play?

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Yes very easily - our Head Coach can actually react to the defense and our the team in situations to succeed. 

Do our individual parts suck - yes. But you we could have had Trent Williams - Lewis - Harrison - Brandon scherff - Edoga starting last night and the difference would have been marginable if that. 

The Pats rushed 6 when we had 5 blockers all night and rushed 7 when we kept in a TE.  Yet we didn’t change the WR routes, throw a screen pass, have Sam keep a zone read or have Sam roll out.  Gase literally didn’t do anything whatsoever to schematically slow down the pass rush.  Trent Williams or Andrew Thomas can’t come in here and block 2 guys at once. 

This video @C Mart posted is pretty telling imo..

Honestly makes me feel better about Sam.  But we're kinda F'ed on oline.  I mean shouldn't NFL olinemen be able to figure out who to block?

Otherwise all teams would show 8 rushing and randomly drop back 3 of them leaving free rushers to sprint to the QB.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Honestly makes me feel better about Sam.  But we're kinda F'ed on oline.  I mean shouldn't NFL olinemen be able to figure out who to block?

Otherwise all teams would show 8 rushing and randomly drop back 3 of them leaving free rushers to sprint to the QB.

shouldn't the coach adjust to help the online? 

12 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Yes very easily - our Head Coach can actually react to the defense and ...

riiiiight, it wasnt that we were just outmanned/overmatched it was the OC wasnt CLEVER enough.

we shoulda justy leaned on the run game, right? th eone that leads the league in stuffed runs....

ignore list #55

10 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Part of the reason it works so well for the Pats is their defensive discipline.  Their DL hold their rush lanes, occupy lineman and keep the pocket contained.  That makes things much easier for the blitzers

If you look at the strip sack the DE on the opposite side of Simon who caused the fumble is simply keeping contain so that Sam had no where to go. 

• Upvote 1

Here’s my honest take. Number one, these guys suck let’s get that out of the way. A zone OL requires smart, athletic Lineman. We do not have that at all, so why are we running zone? The answer is Bell. Bell has thrived being patient with zone blocking, waiting to find the opening. He does not like hitting a designated hole created in man blocking schemes. So we’re running zone for his benefit at the expense of what we’re more suited to do. IMO if it’s not too late we should be moving to a man blocking scheme and make Bell adjust. It’s not like the zone blocking is helping him either.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Yes.  It doesn't seem he has the olinemen needed to operate a team vs a great D like NE though.

Then you are watching a different game then the rest of us. Because he has not. They are blitzing 7guys and he has designed plays with 5blockers, that is not good coaching is t? Roll out for Sam no their too. Base is a bad coach and this new excuse is the online I find it hard to believe all 5starters regressed without fault going on base and his scheme.

10 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Here’s my honest take. Number one, these guys suck let’s get that out of the way. A zone OL requires smart, athletic Lineman. We do not have that at all, so why are we running zone? The answer is Bell. Bell has thrived being patient with zone blocking, waiting to find the opening. He does not like hitting a designated hole created in man blocking schemes. So we’re running zone for his benefit at the expense of what we’re more suited to do. IMO if it’s not too late we should be moving to a man blocking scheme and make Bell adjust. It’s not like the zone blocking is helping him either.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You would think this basic idea would have probably been thought about before the season started and we would have incorporated it at some point