Insanity coaching

28 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Seriously? This is true. I would fire him on the spot for that. Improvization and throwing on the run are Darnold's biggest strengths.

Didn't you wonder why Darnold has been sticking in the pocket so doggedly and not improvising when last season he was doing it all the time?

Look ... Gase has to go, NOW ... TODAY!!! It's just that simple and, please ... don't go on about how he was handed a bad team by Mac, blah, blah, blah. He sucked in Miami, and he sucks even worse here. Gase is absolutely incapable of being creative or thinking quickly as situations develop. Make GW the interim HC, see whether he can do anything positive, and then figure out the future in the off-season. 

8 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

pts for old ass Eddie Murphy quote.

but, pointing out the statistical anomaly doesnt help your case.

and this aint to defend Gase. I DGAF about Gase...one way or the other

the fact that we have one of the worst OLs in the league AGAIN and a new QB who AGAIN just sucked balls

is my concern....

(that Phins team had an OL that could actually BLOCK)

Pointing out a statistical anomaly certainly does help my case, especially when the team involved was the Pats and Belichick was the head coach. The Dolphins has no shot at beating the Patriots with a standard offense. They threw out the play book and used an ancient offense to bewilder BB. I'm not saying that anything would have worked last night, or if winning this game was even possible under any circumstances. 

11 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

You want trick plays, there’s the trick plays and their guaranteed definitely sustainable success.

No. I didn't say that I wanted trick plays. I asked why Gase didn't try something other than the same predictable garbage he called last night.

Again. What stops a head coach from dialing up plays that might accidentally catch the defense off guard?

7 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

used an ancient offense to bewilder BB. I'm not saying that anything would have worked last night, or if winning this game was even possible under any circumstances. 

pennington went 17/20 226 0 TD/INTS/ they ran for 216 yds...

ya think we coulda ran for 216 yds last night? 

with our OL, winning was not possible last night. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

pennington went 17/20 226 0 TD/INTS/ they ran for 216 yds...

ya think we coulda ran for 216 yds last night? 

with our OL, winning was not possible last night. 

That wasn't my argument. Again, What stops a head coach from dialing up plays that might accidentally catch the defense off guard?

6 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

That wasn't my argument. Again, What stops a head coach from dialing up plays that might accidentally catch the defense off guard?

nothing. your example was of a team that had won 1 of its last 15 games and turned to the wildcat.11 years ago.

your answer is gimmicks and trick plays. fine. we coulda lost looking even yet more foolish.

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

nothing. your example was of a team that had won 1 of its last 15 games and turned to the wildcat.11 years ago.

your answer is gimmicks and trick plays. fine. we coulda lost looking even yet more foolish.

My example was a dodge ball to the face of someone trying to be funny. My answer wasn't gimmicks and trick plays. Is that what you think the answer is?

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Like I said in my original post, I may have missed adjustments or certain plays. It's not the point. Doing the same tired thing over and over with the same result was the point. Trying something different is the point.

It sounds like trying something different that you could recognize is your point.

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

but there were no fumblerooskis and double reverses and flea flickers to trick Belichiks undisciplined D...

you cant make the blind see. 

FREE ROBBY!!!

No Statue of Liberty play?

53 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Nobody has EVER outsmarted Belichick, right? An awful Dolphins team embarrassed the juggernaut Patriots who had won 21 in a row. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/28295/wildcat-strike-how-2008-dolphins-shocked-patriots-and-the-nfl

Sometimes even the great ones fall to the banana in the tailpipe trick. 

Remember that time 11 years ago when someone outmarted Belichick?  Why didn't we do that?  Man that Tony Sparano and David Lee were such offensive innovators.  Why didn't we ever hire them? Gase has coached in the AFC East for years.  He beat the Pats in 2017 and 2018.  This difference is that year's Pats team is better, and the Jets are very susceptible to pressure.

51 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Yes.  You can see and hear it if you know anyone who recorded the game.  It was during a break and they showed it after commercial.  He was trying to be reassuring, but what came out of his mouth was to the affect of  "don't improvise".  

27 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Didn't you wonder why Darnold has been sticking in the pocket so doggedly and not improvising when last season he was doing it all the time?

Maybe by not improvising, Gase meant stop chucking the ball up in the air like aimless mortar fire whenever pressured.  Darnold is known for forcing it and heaving it up under pressure.  Against the Pats it wasn't working.

20 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

No. I didn't say that I wanted trick plays. I asked why Gase didn't try something other than the same predictable garbage he called last night.

Again. What stops a head coach from dialing up plays that might accidentally catch the defense off guard?

People have pointed out different plays.  You have shown an complete inability to recognize them.  Maybe you should stop bolding that and just beg for plays that work.  They aren't coming, but it is more accurate and probably less annoying.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

People have pointed out different plays.  You have shown an complete inability to recognize them.  Maybe you should stop bolding that and just beg for plays that work.  They aren't coming, but it is more accurate and probably less annoying.

That revolutionary max protect will get er done. Stop talking. 

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Maybe by not improvising, Gase meant stop chucking the ball up in the air like aimless mortar fire whenever pressured.  Darnold is known for forcing it and heaving it up under pressure.  Against the Pats it wasn't working.

Darnold was at his best last season when he rolled our or they moved the pocket. It's not a coincidence this year that you rarely see Darnold outside of the pocket and that the pocket remains stationary. 

I will stick with my story here:

• Gase has appeared to do a terrible job preparing a bad Jets team to play.  The OL in particular has looked awful.
  • In the prior three years watching teams he coached in Miami, although he made the playoffs year 1 they never looked great (with another bad roster), but they never looked this terrible.   Gase actually coached decently against the Bills and Patriots.
  • There have been glimpses of this team looking OK.  I don't think Gase makes it easier to fire him after 1 year.   This was the brutal part of the Jets schedule-should have been 2-4 at best, but are 1-5. Could easily have been 0-6.
  • The physical condition of the players is on the coach.  The injuries for this team can't be an accident.  I think its a combination of bad strength and conditioning, and players not wanting to play for Gase.   I think that is what does him in, but he gets another year with a better roster.  

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

BOLDED FOR YOUR PLEASURE. Look at all those different plays. He changed it up by sometimes running off guard. Then he got creative and went off tackle. Then he REALLY dialed it up when he sneaked Montgomery in there. Then he flew off the handle and PASSED twice on first down. Man, the creativity and innovation boggles my mind.

1st & 10 at NYJ 8

(6:06 - 1st) J.Harrison reported in as eligible. L.Bell right guard to NYJ 10 for 2 yards (E.Roberts).

1st & 10 at NYJ 25

(3:49 - 1st) J.Harrison reported in as eligible. L.Bell right guard to NYJ 25 for no gain (J.Collins; D.Wise).

1st & 10 at NYJ 25

(0:09 - 1st) (Shotgun) L.Bell up the middle to NYJ 32 for 7 yards (J.Jones).

1st & 10 at NYJ 24

(9:11 - 2nd) (Shotgun) L.Bell up the middle to NYJ 29 for 5 yards (L.Guy).

1st & 10 at NE 46

(3:31 - 2nd) (Shotgun) S.Darnold pass short left to D.Thomas to NE 41 for 5 yards (J.Simon; J.Jones).  

1st & 10 at NYJ 24

(14:54 - 3rd) L.Bell right tackle to NYJ 28 for 4 yards (J.McCourty; D.McCourty).

1st & 10 at NYJ 3

(8:25 - 3rd) L.Bell up the middle to NYJ 6 for 3 yards (L.Guy).

1st & 10 at NE 33

(7:02 - 3rd) L.Bell right tackle to NE 31 for 2 yards (L.Guy; D.Shelton).

1st & 10 at NYJ 20

(3:42 - 3rd) T.Montgomery up the middle to NYJ 23 for 3 yards (C.Winovich).

1st & 10 at NYJ 25

(12:32 - 4th) S.Darnold pass incomplete deep right to R.Griffin. NYJ-B.Winters was injured during the pl

1st & 10 at NYJ 14

(9:37 - 4th) (Shotgun) L.Bell right tackle to NYJ 25 for 11 yards (D.Wis

1st & 10 at NYJ 12

(1:50 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Montgomery left end to NYJ 18 for 6 yards (K.Van Noy; J.Bentley).

The way the Pats D  beat the crap out of the Jets one would think they were stealing calls, it was so bad.

Either Gase just played right into their hands and didn't make the adjustments or the OL is much worse than we thought. 

Add both these strong failures together and you get an embarrassing mess like we witnessed last night.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Gase was actually on microphone and they got him telling Darnold to NOT do anything other than the game plan and to stick to what they planned no matter what.

The message was NOT to improvise and do anything crazy.  Darnold had lanes to run when the pressure was on but chose, every time, to float the ball into the heavens. 

Gase sucks.  And this is the first time I have ever said this.

Gase dropped the ball last night. One thing he did right was telling Darnold to stick to the gameplan and not run because it's bad enough to get beat like we did. But it's even worse to potentially end his career, season or knock him out a few games by having Darnold run in the open field. 

Look what happened to Josh Allen when he tried that against this exact defense. 

The whole team played like $hit and lost the game well before Darnold topped it off with the icing on the cake. 

• Upvote 1