Statistical comps for Darnold's MNF debacle

greenwichjetfan

Just now, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

It used to annoy me that the Jets were a product marketed to the I'm rubber and you're glue contingent until I realized that it's more fun to watch you cry than it is to watch them win.

tl;dr, but while I have your attention, what’s it like to be banned for being an aggro manic verbose blowhard and then coming back under a different identity and doing it all over again? Asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

tl;dr, but while I have your attention, what’s it like to be banned for being an aggro manic verbose blowhard and then coming back under a different identity and doing it all over again? Asking for a friend.

Good, but @SMC calling him a pedantic prick still wins for it's alliteration and simplicity.

Here are some comparisons... guess which QB has produced these single game stats within the first couple years of their career: 

(Yes, these are the ugliest of them all, but I haven't pulled out any 1 td 2 int games, just a couple that seemed the most 'Yesterday Darnold')

WK Game Date Opp Result G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
1 09/07 @ BUF L   0-31 1 1 14 28 50.0 123 4.4 0 4 2 20 22.5 -- -- -- -- -- --

6 10/13 GB L   10-28 1 1 24 44 54.5 183 4.2 1 3 2 17 44.0 5 26 5.2 0 2 1

12 11/27 videoicon.gif @ KC L   16-26 1 1 22 40 55.0 248 6.2 1 4 3 16 42.5 1 15 15.0 0 -- --

9 11/05 videoicon.gif IND L   20-27 1 1 20 35 57.1 201 5.7 0 4 0 0 34.0 3 13 4.3 0 -- --

2 hours ago, Jumbo2927 said:

I remember Jeff Garcia had a 0 QBR with the browns 

4 worst QBR's in a game since 2000:

1. Jeff Garcia '14 Clev L 12-19 at Dall  (0.0) 8-27-71-0-3

1. Tim Hasselback '03 Wash L vs Dall 0-27 (0.0) 6-26-56-0-4

3. Andy Dalton '14 Cinc L 3-24 vs Clev (2.0) 10-33-86-0-3

4. Sam Darnold '19 Jets L0-33 vs NE (3.6) 11-32-86-0-4

A side note is that Joe Namath's last game as a Jet vs Cinc at Shea was: (0.0) 4-15-20-0-4 but he could hardly stand by then

2 hours ago, CTM said:

Allen has accuracy issues and for all intents and purposes that eliminates him from consideration. Darnold I agree is a good sandlot guy and can make plays a guy like Brady never could, all of the other stuff is where his lack of experiance really shows up.

Oh really please show me how much more accurate Darnold is than Allen. Again I’ll wait

1 hour ago, CTM said:

eh. Sanchez going 10/29 with 5 ints when his RB's had over 300 yards was worse.

Thank you! Was about to cite that exact game. Some around here have seriously selective memory when it comes to their need to take the prize for most emo. Sanchez holds the lonely award for somehow managing to quite literally single-handedly lose a game, and was sucked off by many around here for years after that anyway.

Darnold's game was laughably bad, with no excuse for it, but on its own will mean absolutely nothing in the end. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Thank you! Was about to cite that exact game. Some around here have seriously selective memory when it comes to their need to take the prize for most emo. Sanchez holds the lonely award for somehow managing to quite literally single-handedly lose a game, and was sucked off by many around here for years after that anyway.

Darnold's game was laughably bad, with no excuse for it, but on its own will mean absolutely nothing in the end. 

Because he too will be sucked off by many around here for years after this anyway.

4 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

For perspective: Darnold wasn't my #1 QB in that draft, I hated the Sanchez & Geno picks, Hack was always an afterthought, and the only QB I've ever really liked in a Jets uniform was the first 11 games of the Favre year.

Then I fell for Sam like I've never fell for a Jets QB before. Like everyone else, I was pumped for this game. This was the game Darnold was going to show off.

As I'm watching the game last night, two things become abundantly clear:

(1) I should have stuck to my guns regarding Gase. I hated the hire when it happened, but by the end of preseason I had done a full 180 and actually started to like him. However, last night was the final nail in the coffin. No more "3rd string QB" excuses. The guy is a continuation of everything he's ever been outside of the Peyton years: a complete joke.

(2) Sam will never be what I had convinced myself he'd become: a FQB who would play January and February games for the Jets for the next decade+. There was no way that any FQB ever had a game like Sam did last night.

===================================

Today I started thinking about that second point a bit more, and I decided to do just a little bit of research. What I found is pretty interesting:

image.thumb.png.88fdf6ee21e632e533b606dce0e4ca9d.png

No, I'm not saying that Sam will ever live up to the careers that the above players have enjoyed, nor am I saying that last night was ok because, "well it happens." All I'm saying is that I was surprised by the results, and if nothing else, at least I feel a bit better knowing that even some of the top QBs in the league have had clunkers like Sam either early in their career or while they were in their prime.

For the purposes of this thread, I've left the names off. Feel free to comment on which QB belongs to each stat line.

smh. lol. 

• Thumb Down 1