Greg Williams was as bad as Sam Darnold was last night

Greg Williams called a scared, sissy game last night.  This game was lost after the 1st snap when brady realized we were only going to rush 4 all night.  Thats not who greg williams is.  He is a mad blitzing mastermind.  Send the house and deal with the consequences later.

But last night he totally changed his philosophy.  I know you will say, "but its tom brady.  You cant do that to him blah blah blah."  You cant play the other way either.  You blitz the hell out of the guy, play press coverage if if by chance he has to double clutch cause no one is open, you bury him in the ground.  He is going to shred you anyway, might as well go down guns blazing and smack him around while doing it.

Greg Williams lost this game from the 1st snap by living in fear of tom brady.  The players followed suit and played scared too.

Anyone else notice this?

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Greg Williams called a scared, sissy game last night.  This game was lost after the 1st snap when brady realized we were only going to rush 4 all night.  Thats not who greg williams is.  He is a mad blitzing mastermind.  Send the house and deal with the consequences later.

But last night he totally changed his philosophy.  I know you will say, "but its tom brady.  You cant do that to him blah blah blah."  You cant play the other way either.  You blitz the hell out of the guy, play press coverage if if by chance he has to double clutch cause no one is open, you bury him in the ground.  He is going to shred you anyway, might as well go down guns blazing and smack him around while doing it.

Greg Williams lost this game from the 1st snap by living in fear of tom brady.  The players followed suit and played scared too.

Anyone else notice this?

The two people who own yesterday's loss are Gregg Williams and Darnold. The people blaming Gase for last night are misguided.

People can't give Williams all of the credit when the defense plays well and then try to blame Gase when the defense gets absolutely shredded. Williams and the Browns defense had 4/5 games last year where they got killed.  This shouldn't be a surprise. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BurnleyJet said:

No deflections, Darnold was Epic bad.

No one played well, I’ve seen some unreal bad games this year. This was worse because the only hope we have is Darnold is the real deal. Last night he was a poor mans Geno Smith. 

This genuinely feels bad. It’s almost a full year before we can even start over again.

This team is misery in a green and white wrapper.

I agree.  Darnold was awful.  But on other side of the ball, williams coached scared and the players followed suit and played scared.

I don't think the defense played that bad aside from the 1st drive. I think Williams may have been a little too passive on that drive but it what it is. And it does matter who they are playing. Brady has made a living picking apart blitzes. They gave up a little over 300 yards which isn't too bad considering who they are playing. How do you expect them to not give up points when they are on the field for 2/3 of the game and the offense has 6 TO's? This loss is on Gase, Darnold and the entire offense. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Anyone else notice this?

Defense was bad and that's no joke and Williams is still to blame regardless because it is his unit that he is responsible for. But have you tried blitzing Brady and NOT get a roughing penalty for it? Brady draws roughing penalties for literally pushing him slightly at times.  We don't have the type of defense Rex had. The defense was built with solid corners in an era a decade ago when you could actually play the CB position. To beat Brady you need to be able to rush 4/5 and collapse his pocket quickly to rush his reads. The talent on our defense just isn't built to do this. We can't bring pressure without sending in Jamal or 2 LBs and doing so leaves you vulnerable to the underneath throw because Brady will pick up the blitz and exploit it.  

1 minute ago, Reynolds1029 said:

Defense was bad and that's no joke and Williams is still to blame regardless because it is his unit that he is responsible for. But have you tried blitzing Brady and NOT get a roughing penalty for it? Brady draws roughing penalties for literally pushing him slightly at times.  We don't have the type of defense Rex had. The defense was built with solid corners in an era a decade ago when you could actually play the CB position. To beat Brady you need to be able to rush 4/5 and collapse his pocket quickly to rush his reads. The talent on our defense just isn't built to do this. We can't bring pressure without sending in Jamal or 2 LBs and doing so leaves you vulnerable to the underneath throw because Brady will pick up the blitz and exploit it.  

Who cares if it leaves you vulnerable.  Brady is going to pick you apart regardless.  You are acting like rushing 4 and dropping into coverage actually worked.

I understand brady will beat the blitz.  But there will be a few times that he cant get the ball off right away and you can take shots at him.  that should have been the number 1 priority.  Get him on the ground.  Then maybe he starts thinking twice about what going on or you knock his ass out of the game.

The weak, passive defense we ran last night had 0 chance of working and provided 0 hits on the qb.  The game was over before it began with that defensive gameplan. 

And when tough guy williams changes his stripes in fear, the players followed suit.  Embarrassing.

• Upvote 1

I hated two things about Gregg Williams' plan last night.

1) WHAT THE F*** WAS TRUMAINE JOHNSON DOING ON THE FIELD?

2) Why were the safeties playing so far back off the line of scrimmage?  They should have been up tight, taking away the short routes... forcing Brady to throw intermediate and deep.

P.S.  My predictions stunk last night... except for the warning about Demaryius Thomas' inevitable dreadful drops.

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Who cares if it leaves you vulnerable.  Brady is going to pick you apart regardless.  You are acting like rushing 4 and dropping into coverage actually worked.

I understand brady will beat the blitz.  But there will be a few times that he cant get the ball off right away and you can take shots at him.  that should have been the number 1 priority.  Get him on the ground.  Then maybe he starts thinking twice about what going on or you knock his ass out of the game.

The weak, passive defense we ran last night had 0 chance of working and provided 0 hits on the qb.  The game was over before it began with that defensive gameplan. 

And when tough guy williams changes his stripes in fear, the players followed suit.  Embarrassing.

It was never going to work with the personnel we have on defense. We don't have NFL caliber CBs on this team so containing the wideouts to give your 4-5 man rush time isn't going to work like it did with Rex or past Jet defenses. 

Knocking him out of the game is a pipe dream and I know you know it because we all do. The Refs and Brady himself is NOT going to let that happen under any circumstances. Even if you get him on the ground more than once or twice the yellow flags will be flying and Brady will be adjusting his protections.

Williams doesn't earn a pass here but it's not like we have an all-star well built defense here that shockingly laid a 45-3 egg with high expectations. We have major holes that need to be filled this off-season due to general mismanagement so we can be competitive again.  

Historically, Brady kills blitzing teams.  Rushing 4 is usually the right way to beat him, especially if those 4 can get some pressure (our's didn't).

You do want to throw in some disguises and some occasional blitzes to get him to process things a split second slower, but end of the day, every team i've ever seen that has gotten to Brady, has done so primarily with 4 (and usually with up the middle DT pressure).

There's a video on youtube somewhere of Ray Lewis discussing this, and I completely agree with him.

It's somewhat incorrect to think of the Pats as a dink and dunk offense.  Instead they take what the D gives them.  There were two plays where the safeties cheated, and those were exactly the ones where Brady hit a big gain, and the Dorsett TD.

Look, we have two top 10 picks on the interior of our line and they were getting 1 on 1s almost all night.  Williams had a good game against their backup C, but end of the day it wasn't nearly good enough.  We should have seen something more akin to what the Rams were producing in the SB against NE's first stringers.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I don't think the defense played that bad aside from the 1st drive. I think Williams may have been a little too passive on that drive but it what it is. And it does matter who they are playing. Brady has made a living picking apart blitzes. They gave up a little over 300 yards which isn't too bad considering who they are playing. How do you expect them to not give up points when they are on the field for 2/3 of the game and the offense has 6 TO's? This loss is on Gase, Darnold and the entire offense. 

pretty much right.  trumaine was horrible in coverage though.  they didn't get to tommy boy but then again the graphics said brady throws the ball quicker when he plays the jets.  that could mean they pose a bigger sack problem or that the a-hole edelman gets open quicker.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Exactly. if you don't hurry or sack him, he's gonna kill you anyway. Besides you cannot cover worth a damn anyway, press, man, zone, no difference, he finds guys if you give him time. 

It still amazes that the pats do the same thing every single game and no one has found out how to stop them.

I think you have to be totally risk taking ballsy.

As in bring pressure play man on the outside and above all.

BE in front their crossing wrs instead of chasing  letting them catch it in front of you.  Take big risks.  What is going to happen they are going to beat you 40-0 instead of 33-0?

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

The two people who own yesterday's loss are Gregg Williams and Darnold. The people blaming Gase for last night are misguided.

People can't give Williams all of the credit when the defense plays well and then try to blame Gase when the defense gets absolutely shredded. Williams and the Browns defense had 4/5 games last year where they got killed.  This shouldn't be a surprise. 

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Anyone else notice this?

No none noticed what you are saying because you are incorrect.

g willimas gave us the best chance to have a good day on off that we could. SOme guys made mental mistakes whatever, they were coached up. Once again the only side of the ball that was prepared for the game was G williams. it was obvious especially with the off side comparison...

He was constantly switching up the def all game also known as adjusting, sure it didnt help being on the field that much and our roster being sh*t, but they guys played hard all game. 

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It still amazes that the pats do the same thing every single game and no one has found out how to stop them.

I think you have to be totally risk taking ballsy.

As in bring pressure play man on the outside and above all.

BE in front their crossing wrs instead of chasing  letting them catch it in front of you.  Take big risks.  What is going to happen they are going to beat you 40-0 instead of 33-0?

THIS.   he has been beating us with Welker, Edelman Amendola, and a host of other undersized receivers for 15 years. Rex couldn’t stop him, no one has. 

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I hated two things about Gregg Williams' plan last night.

1) WHAT THE F*** WAS TRUMAINE JOHNSON DOING ON THE FIELD?

2) Why were the safeties playing so far back off the line of scrimmage?  They should have been up tight, taking away the short routes... forcing Brady to throw intermediate and deep.

P.S.  My predictions stunk last night... except for the warning about Demaryius Thomas' inevitable dreadful drops.

Stop it he had one drop. 

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

No none noticed what you are saying because you are incorrect.

g willimas gave us the best chance to have a good day on off that we could. SOme guys made mental mistakes whatever, they were coached up. Once again the only side of the ball that was prepared for the game was G williams. it was obvious especially with the off side comparison...

He was constantly switching up the def all game also known as adjusting, sure it didnt help being on the field that much and our roster being sh*t, but they guys played hard all game. 

You watched that game and thought the defense was prepared? Wtf were you watching then? 

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Anyone else notice this?

I just have to disagree here:

If Williams calls the high-risk game plan you suggest, the score would have been 86-0.

Williams gave his front seven a chance to make plays and they didn't. Case in point, 4th and 6. Brady had all day to throw. The back end covered well for about 4 seconds. Brady not even touched. and then there's Trumain Johnson.

Just like you can't throw when, across the board, your OL is getting beat physically, you can't expect someone to call man-to-man defense when a) you have Trumain Johnson attempting to cover someone and b) the jets, even when they blitzed, never got there. I understand, it's death by a thousand cuts. but at least you give your defense a chance to stop someone.

The Jets don't have the corner talent to compete and win consistently. Poole and the other guy are decent. They give you great effort. But they lack the talent to compete at an elite level. Johnson doesn't have the quickness or speed to compete at an ordinary level most of the time. So, I don't know about calling a lot of 'zero' blitzes, especially against Brady.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RoadFan said:

P.S.  My predictions stunk last night... except for the warning about Demaryius Thomas' inevitable dreadful drops

Pretty much spiked that first pass...

Playing like they were going against the entire NFL HOF rather than a division rival.

That's definitely on the coach.

I don't expect the Jets to win, just to make a decent accounting. just show that they are a team. And that didn't happen.

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

Stop it he had one drop. 

More terrible, drive killing drops are on the horizon.  I've watched him play his whole career.

It wasn't a big deal when he used to break bubble screens and slants for 70 yard TDs.   Now they are just glaring and maddening.

Jets fans used to hate Justin McCareins.  Demaryius has the same hands.

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

You watched that game and thought the defense was prepared? Wtf were you watching then? 

Phill1c hit it on the head but I think I spelled it out pretty plainly. I watch Williams give his players a chance to win. They didn't but he gave them a game plan that gave them a chance. If Gase did this for even a drive I could buy into give him more time, but Gase has shown he won't adjust to what we have not put a game plan together to win any game. You can't just expect a team who is out gunned to score calling plays like him. He gave Darnold no chance. Williams would have called smart gameplan with short passes, dumps to bell extra protection etc. 

You over here all crazy.

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Phill1c hit it on the head but I think I spelled it out pretty plainly. I watch Williams give his players a chance to win. They didn't but he gave them a game plan that gave them a chance. If Gase did this for even a drive I could buy into give him more time, but Gase has shown he won't adjust to what we have not put a game plan together to win any game. You can't just expect a team who is out gunned to score calling plays like him. He gave Darnold no chance. Williams would have called smart gameplan with short passes, dumps to bell extra protection etc. 

You over here all crazy.

Except Williams knows nothing about offense.  When did Williams adjust? After it was 24-0? What a joke