New England has ruined the NFL single-handedly

jeTMAC

12 minutes ago, wizwor said:

Probably not.  When BB replaced the franchise QB with a 6th round pick, he built a dominant defense and coached the QB not to lose.  Now that Brady is past his peak, Coach is focusing on defense again while looking for a QB who will not lose games.  Not sure that guy in on the roster (I think he is in SF), but that is the plan...again.

smart post. props.

• Sympathy 1

I mean BB drafted JG and Brissett within the last 5 years. Both would be the best QB in the division. The Pats would still be the odds on favorite to represent the AFC if they were starting. The Pats exploiting other teams being lazy isnt going to change once Brady retires, assuming BB stays.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, wizwor said:

Probably not.  When BB replaced the franchise QB with a 6th round pick, he built a dominant defense and coached the QB not to lose.  Now that Brady is past his peak, Coach is focusing on defense again while looking for a QB who will not lose games.  Not sure that guy in on the roster (I think he is in SF), but that is the plan...again.

Oh so just snap his fingers, go back to focusing on defense again (making it elite) while looking for a game manager at QB. Odd that something so easy for Bill didnt work 5 years in Cleveland and 2 years without Brady in NE.

I also dont get why you think Bill was perfectly capable of having a suffocating defense the past 15 years but chose not to because Brady was at his peak? How does that make sense.

1 minute ago, CTM said:

Oh so just snap his fingers, go back to focusing on defense again (making it elite) while looking for a game manager at QB. Odd that something so easy for Bill didnt work 5 years in Cleveland and 2 years without Brady in NE.

I also dont get why you think Bill was perfectly capable of having a suffocating defense the past 15 years but chose not to because Brady was at his peak? How does that make sense.

Pats would be favorites in the AFC with Brissett wouldnt they? Garrapolo? 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean BB drafted JG and Brissett within the last 5 years. Both would be the best QB in the division. The Pats would still be the odds on favorite to represent the AFC if they were starting. The Pats exploiting other teams being lazy isnt going to change once Brady retires, assuming BB stays.

He also drafted Cassell and missed the playoffs with a very talented team and super weak schedule.

Really hope we get a chance to see Beli without Brady for an extended period of time. I'm honestly curious.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I have always believed TB12 would finish his career in SF -- home team, mirror of Montana, all that.  When Jimmy G went there, I felt like a blockbuster trade sending Tom home in exchange for  his heir apparent would be poetry.  Can you see it?  The undefeated Patriots beat down the upstart (and undefeated) 49ers in the Big Game then BB and JG vs TB12 and Shanahan (and Welker).  

5 minutes ago, CTM said:

He also drafted Cassell and missed the playoffs with a very talented team and super weak schedule.

Really hope we get a chance to see Beli without Brady for an extended period of time. I'm honestly curious.

Cassell was what a 7th round pick and didnt play in college. They also went 11-5 that season. 9th in total DVOA and a 4 game W streak to end the season. That was forever ago anyways. Also coincidentally the last 11-5 team to miss the playoffs.

Mallet never worked out, but the last two QB's BB drafted would still have the Pats winning the division at minimum.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

Cassell was what a 7th round pick and didnt play in college. They also went 11-5 that season. That was forever ago anyways. 

Mallet never worked out, but the last two QB's BB drafted would still have the Pats winning the division at minimum.

16-0 to 11-5 and no playoffs is a massive drop off. And while it is a long time ago,  it's the most recent example we have

Kevin O'Connell didnt work out either. I dont know what JG or JB are right now. JG has been mostly average and JB has limited history and took over an offense that was playing top 5 for the last 1/2 of last year. 

Just now, CTM said:

16-0 to 11-5 and no playoffs is a massive drop off. And while it is a long time ago,  it's the most recent example we have

Kevin O'Connell didnt work out either. I dont know what JG or JB are right now. JG has been mostly average and JB has limited history and took over an offense that was playing top 5 for the last 1/2 of last year. 

Also the last 11-5 team to miss the playoffs. He's drafted two passable replacements within the last 5 years. Brady retiring at this point doesnt make the Jets any less incompetent.

New England has not ruined the NFL.  The NFL allows their best players to have things go their way.  Call it the Michael Jordan effect.  It has been 20 years basically running the same offense over and over again.  No one has been able to figure out how to stop all the pick motion stuff they do.  Its been around so long the Refs look at it as common place.  Rex knew how to beat it and he did.  Rush 3 and drop 8.  Sean Ellis was the key to that victory. The Pats have had an amazing run.  The greatest run this league has ever seen.  This season will be the last.  Tom wants one more and BIll wants that 19-0.

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Also the last 11-5 team to miss the playoffs. He's drafted two passable replacements within the last 5 years. Brady retiring at this point doesnt make the Jets any less incompetent.

In 2007 they were one of the best teams ever, in 2008 with only 1 significant change they weren't even good enough to beat out the equally average Dolphins team (who were completely exposed in playoffs as a home team). The only reason the Pats or the Dolphins even won 11 games is because they both feasted on incredibly bad AFC and NFC west that year.

Agree on the bolded. None of this matters if the Jets and Phins continue to suck and the Bills continue to start JA

The answer is simple,,,the Patriots win this sh*t division every year because it is so bad. They get a first round bye and a home game to start the playoffs. Every year it happens, that's why they have a great chance to win every year, especially with BB. Until a team in the AFC East steps up and takes the division from them it will not change. They get 6 wins a year in the division and that's a huge advantage.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wizwor said:

I have always believed TB12 would finish his career in SF -- home team, mirror of Montana, all that.  When Jimmy G went there, I felt like a blockbuster trade sending Tom home in exchange for  his heir apparent would be poetry.  Can you see it?  The undefeated Patriots beat down the upstart (and undefeated) 49ers in the Big Game then BB and JG vs TB12 and Shanahan (and Welker).  

Why the hell would I want to see that? 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Someone denies it..... it’s @nyjunc ?

I've never denied he's a great coach.  I have always said he developed into one thanks to lucking into the greatest QB of all time.  The reality is without Brady emerging he is a DC somewhere today.  He's probably the most brilliant football mind in history but that alone didn't make a great HC and his job is much easier than others because he has a QB that makes up for so many mistakes.

16 hours ago, choon328 said:

If people don't like the Patriots winning every year maybe somebody should ******* do something about it.  How about that?

Unfortunately, that won't be us anytime soon. See, I could have said "or ever," but, like the typical dumba$$ Jets fan that I am, I have an inexplicable modicum of hope.

14 hours ago, CTM said:

The chiefs hung 31 on the Pats despite Mahommes uncharacteristically missing some wide open big plays in the first half. The Rams were on thier way down by the time of the SB, their weighted DVOA had falled by over 25% at seasons end, Gurley was banged up or something and we've seen how this year has gone for them.

Brady accounted for 1 TD and 4 turnovers in those two games and still beat the top 2 offenses in the league to win another championship.

Your perspective that "Brady is the pats best defender", Mahomes missing plays and Gurley being banged up are all higher impacting explanations than anything Belichick did on defense. Good.

11 hours ago, CTM said:

In 2007 they were one of the best teams ever, in 2008 with only 1 significant change they weren't even good enough to beat out the equally average Dolphins team (who were completely exposed in playoffs as a home team). The only reason the Pats or the Dolphins even won 11 games is because they both feasted on incredibly bad AFC and NFC west that year.

Agree on the bolded. None of this matters if the Jets and Phins continue to suck and the Bills continue to start JA

And the 2009 Patriots won less games than the 2008 team. Brady's the best QB ever and BB is the best coach. The way they are situated now, considering the state of the division, BB could probably find a QB to make things work. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, CTM said:

Oh so just snap his fingers, go back to focusing on defense again

Brady has enjoyed an average ranking of the 7th best scoring defense every time he's ever stepped foot on an NFL field, including mostly top 5 scoring defenses in the championship years. But you know that already. You just can't help yourself.

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

And the 2009 Patriots won less games than the 2008 team. Brady's the best QB ever and BB is the best coach. The way they are situated now, considering the state of the division, BB could probably find a QB to make things work. 

2009 saw them lose Seymour, Bruschi, Harrison and Vrabel.

By dvoa they went from #9 to #4, the only reason they won less games in 2009 than 2008 is because in 2008 the faced the 28th hardest schedule and in 2009 they faced the 7th hardest. You can keep bringing up win totals and I can keep saying SoS but you either get it or you dont.

2 minutes ago, CTM said:

2009 saw them lose Seymour, Bruschi, Harrison and Vrabel.

By dvoa they went from #9 to #4, the only reason they won less games in 2009 than 2008 is because in 2008 the faced the 28th hardest schedule and in 2009 they faced the 7th hardest. You can keep bringing up win totals and I can keep saying SoS but you either get it or you dont.

I understand the mid to late 2000's Pats teams were better with Brady than a replacement level QB

19 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Brady has enjoyed an average ranking of the 7th best scoring defense every time he's ever stepped foot on an NFL field, including mostly top 5 scoring defenses in the championship years. But you know that already. You just can't help yourself.

Scoring defense that is greatly aided by having a ball control offense with GOAT at QB. Plus facing historicaly bad offenses in NYJ MIA and Buffalo 6x a year.  Plus playing out doors in the Northeast for a minimum of 11 games every season.

By DVOA the have been an average unit for 15 years. Scoring defense is a shallow stat, get with the times 

Not having this debate again, you can have the last word 

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The way they are situated now, considering the state of the division, BB could probably find a QB to make things work. 

^ this I agree with for sure. The rest of the division is so bad the Pat's will win almost by default.

Historically, there have been football teams that achieved multi-year dominance due to a combination of skill and luck, but time eventually wears them down.  The aging of coaches has also been a factor. 

The Patriots run has been longer because BB or TB won’t quit.  Brady works his body, etc. so he can play longer.   He has earned it.  

Ignoring the cheating, the Patriots are a world-class organization owned and run by a Harvard Business School graduate that has matched its organization to its personnel and is just better run than any other team in the NFL.  The would be good without TB-without BB, not so sure.   That have a resident genius in the lab who whispers in BB’s ear.  Who do the Jets have?  Dowell Logains?

Additionally, as said above, the Patriots get to play the Dolphins, Bills and Jets 6x every year.  Each of these organizations have had their own organizational issues.  No one can compare the way the Dolphins, Bills or Jets are run to how the Patriots are run.  The other teams are their own worst enemies.  

Two quick examples of how the Jets structure screwed them up.  The GM and HC both report to the Johnsons.   Maccagnan messed up basically three drafts in a row?  Who was evaluating him?  Who was making sure that his drafts fit with his HC?  

And for Bowles and Gase, in each case they formed coaching staffs that basically make it impossible to fire them mid-season.   Who was policing that?  

The Patriots are too good for the NFL’s own good, largely because Kraft lets his ego out to celebrate the team’s success and not to meddle in its operation.   The rest of the NFL will get a break, because BB and TB will each fade out, but it will just take longer than it did for the 49ers, Cowboys and Steelers to peter.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, CTM said:

Cassell was never drafted to replace Brady. Nor was Malletthead. Not even Brissett. Only Jimmy G and Stidham were. 

21 hours ago, jeTMAC said:

Nobody wants to watch the same team win every year and go to the super bowl. NFL is ruined they're supposed to be parody in the NFL.. Unwatchable where one team dominates over everybody.. it's more belichick than anything...

It's the cheating.  Hell, Alex Trebek looks smart because he is holding the answer cards.

25+ Best Memes About Cheating and Patriotic | Cheating and ...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

8 hours ago, varjet said:

The Patriots are too good for the NFL’s own good, largely because Kraft lets his ego out to celebrate the team’s success and not to meddle in its operation.   The rest of the NFL will get a break, because BB and TB will each fade out, but it will just take longer than it did for the 49ers, Cowboys and Steelers to peter.  

Robert Kraft is STILL a fan of the team and the players.  I love to watch the locker room celebrations.  During those moments, Mr. Kraft looks like he believes he is the LUCKIEST guy in the world.  No other Patriot owner has ever felt that way.  Great post varjet!

Bildschirmfoto_2018_01_23_um_01.35.12.0.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

A major secret to their success is that Bill Belichick is utterly ruthless when it comes to personnel decision making. He would cut his own mother if he sensed her cooking skills were beginning to decline.

A little less secret is that he eats and breathes football.  Tuesday, he was interviewed on the local sports radio station.  One of the guys commented that he was wearing the same clothes as he wore during the game, "It's a short week."

• Upvote 1

On 10/22/2019 at 9:29 PM, Matt39 said:

BB is coaching the giants next year if Brady leaves