Sign in to follow this  
JetNation

Coach Gase Speaks After Pats Loss

Adam Gase, Bill Belichick

There are so many reasons for Jets fans to be frustrated right now. Coming off a solid victory over the Cowboys the Jets were big underdogs versus the Patriots. Everyone was rooting for a win and would have settled for a solid effort. Instead Sam Darnold, the offensive line, no pass rush, the secondary, Gregg Williams and a terrible night for Adam Gase are many of the reasons for the frustration.

Coach Gase summed it up this way when he spoke to the media on Monday.

We have to learn from this game, it’s a game where it’s very painful and frustrating to go through. You have to take as much as you can as far as learning from mistakes made, learn from the experience and put yourself in a position to where that doesn’t happen again. There’s a lot of things as an entire team that we need to do a lot better. We didn’t play well in any phase and we have a lot to work on.

How much of the blame falls on Gase’s shoulders?

Obviously what we put on the field is on me and it wasn’t good enough. I’m always going to be, every week, doing the same thing, going back through seeing mistakes that were made, calls I don’t like, protection schemes, route combinations, all those types of things, run-game schemes. It’s always going to be ever changing, as far as what we need to do better and what we need to emphasize. Obviously, I haven’t found the formula yet to make us anything close to consistent.

Sam Darnold is a young QB and he certainily isn’t the first young QB to be schooled by Bill Belichick. The key for this year is Darnold’s growth and working through setbacks. Gase seems confident that Darnold will be fine moving forward.

I have a lot of confidence in Sam bouncing back from this, it is tough when you go through this originally, then when you go back, watch the tape, you figure out your mistakes, you move on to the next game, you put a good game on tape, that’s really what we have to do.

The schedule gets easier for the Jets moving forward. Can they string together some wins? Gase talks about the team’s struggles this season.

I really think the first year of the program, we’ve had some tough games, we’ve had some shifting lineups, we just haven’t had any chance to have any consistency as far as who’s out there, who’s doing things together. It just feels like we have been a little bit all over the place. We put together a better game against Dallas, things felt like they were coming together decently considering Sam only practiced a few days the Philly week and then was able to go through a full week offensively but we haven’t even really come close outside the Dallas game of putting together a complimentary football game. We have to find consistency, we have to find consistency whether there are two different guys out on the field in one of the phases or five or none. We just have to find some kind of consistency as an entire team of guys going in there, doing their job, executing what we practice all week.

The post Coach Gase Speaks After Pats Loss appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
7fG9ZB3e4cg

Click here to read the full story...

How about finding the door and get out you loser.... Talk is cheap and that is about all you have been able to produce … because you team is bad coach.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Wow so much cover being ran for Darnold and co. The 2019 Jet is the worst Jets team I’ve ever seen bar none.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

Wow so much cover being ran for Darnold and co. The 2019 Jet is the worst Jets team I’ve ever seen bar none.

Rich Kotex was worse, bar none. Thats a fact.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

It's up there for sure

38 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Someone needs to account for Sam’s mechanics because he looked like he just learned how to throw a football. The stats don’t concern me, that happens. But his mechanics were atrocious. Footwork, arm angle, ball handling, everything looked like he hadn’t played football for years.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I wonder if it has to do with the enormous body armour he is wearing...

He got away with several throws like that against the Cowboys. But last night he tried to do the same but just had less time...feel like he got his bell rung and was just trying very hard to get the ball out...but play designs had our receivers going pretty deep on zero blitzes...

• Upvote 1

I would hardly call the win over the Cowboys "solid." We almost lost it in the 4th quarter and won by a mere two points. I think that was a lucky win, not a solid one.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

I wonder if it has to do with the enormous body armour he is wearing...

He got away with several throws like that against the Cowboys. But last night he tried to do the same but just had less time...feel like he got his bell rung and was just trying very hard to get the ball out...but play designs had our receivers going pretty deep on zero blitzes...

They never added another blocker.

Is that so hard? 

You know they are running "zero blitzes". Would it be difficult to motion a RB or TE into the backfield? Yeah, you lose a receiver, but maybe you give your QB time to throw back shoulders and let the WRs get separation.

The Pats did nothing innovative last night. Yet the offensive play calling never adjusted.

28 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Eff this guy. Seriously. I knew he'd be bad, but this is horrific. That clip where he's telling Sam put it in the end zone??? Ridiculous. Meanwhile, on the other side of the field, the coach who has been doing this for 20+ years and still approaches it like he's got something to prove is gathering his entire defense and making in-game adjustments without film, without the coordinators, just coaching his ass off. 

Our offensive game plan yesterday was force the ball to Demarius effing Thomas. Because "revenge factor". Run the ball on every first down. Drop Sam back on a 5 or 7 step drop, but he only had time for 3 steps before he was running for his life. Incomplete pass to DT. Then a pass on 3rd and long that was designed short of the 1st down marker. Horrendous.

An offensive line this bad, you should be setting same up with design rollouts. Short passes. Take the cheap yards. Build confidence through rhythm. Instead? Low-percentage passes by a kid that was clearly overwhelmed.

Demarius Thomas has not been instrumental in any game plan this season. Leveon Bell vs. any safety or LBer in coverage is absolutely 100% the best mismatch we're creating with our limited selection of skill players, and he had how many targets? I can only remember the deep pass on a broken play, that was incomplete. I don't recall Bell getting any targets in the shallow part of the field, but I turned the game off after the Star Wars thing. I mean, it was over.

At this point, I don't even know why I typed all this sh*t. I'm not even that upset... more like perplexed. How do they make it this hard? This is not a complex game. This is not a game where moving the ball is hard anymore. 

The offensive game plan was atrocious. Gase is clueless. I think I would rather have Todd Bowles than Gase. It's been that bad. 

• Upvote 3

Leveon Bell is one of the better RBs in all of the NFL at picking up the blitz. How many times did Gase have Sam dropping back with an empty backfield? I mean... 

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Eff this guy. Seriously. I knew he'd be bad, but this is horrific. That clip where he's telling Sam put it in the end zone??? Ridiculous. Meanwhile, on the other side of the field, the coach who has been doing this for 20+ years and still approaches it like he's got something to prove is gathering his entire defense and making in-game adjustments without film, without the coordinators, just coaching his ass off.

This is my guess into Gase's thought process:

Gase told Sam to put it in the end zone but Sam didn't put it in the end zone.  Sam has to learn from this mistake.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ken Shroy said:

Rich Kotex was worse, bar none. Thats a fact.

No he wasn’t they lost 6 games by a touchdown or less. That team was at least competitive. This one isn’t, tell me why it’s  worse. I want reasoned arguments not “that’s a fact”.

2019 Jets

1D6D71C4-E695-4679-9C23-A3D2FF7381B5.png

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Darnold is not a straight drop back passer, Gase is trying to make him into one.

Gase STINKS

THIS THIS THIS AND MORE OF THIS.

9 hours ago, phill1c said:

Is that so hard? 

You know they are running "zero blitzes". Would it be difficult to motion a RB or TE into the backfield? Yeah, you lose a receiver, but maybe you give your QB time to throw back shoulders and let the WRs get separation.

The Pats did nothing innovative last night. Yet the offensive play calling never adjusted.

That wouldn’t have worked as the person covering him is also now rushing and still out numbered.  They needed quick throws like slants or screens.. not long ass 20 yard passes that had zero chance to happen.

10 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Our offensive game plan yesterday was force the ball to Demarius effing Thomas. Because "revenge factor". Run the ball on every first down. Drop Sam back on a 5 or 7 step drop, but he only had time for 3 steps before he was running for his life. Incomplete pass to DT. Then a pass on 3rd and long that was designed short of the 1st down marker. Horrendous.

An offensive line this bad, you should be setting same up with design rollouts. Short passes. Take the cheap yards. Build confidence through rhythm. Instead? Low-percentage passes by a kid that was clearly overwhelmed.

Demarius Thomas has not been instrumental in any game plan this season. Leveon Bell vs. any safety or LBer in coverage is absolutely 100% the best mismatch we're creating with our limited selection of skill players, and he had how many targets? I can only remember the deep pass on a broken play, that was incomplete. I don't recall Bell getting any targets in the shallow part of the field, but I turned the game off after the Star Wars thing. I mean, it was over.

At this point, I don't even know why I typed all this sh*t. I'm not even that upset... more like perplexed. How do they make it this hard? This is not a complex game. This is not a game where moving the ball is hard anymore. 

the game plan had nothing to do with demerius thomas revenge.  it happens that dt is the type of receiver who can challenge the patsie db's and come up with the ball.  plus it all depends on what the other guys were doing.  robbie was targeted 8 times and caught 1.  the te and crowder were pretty much non-existent.

i agree about changing the offensive scheme and having more play action and roll outs.  but they're still kind of tough when there's a pretty athletic collins or even mccourty in the backfield.  imo not having herndon didn't help any.  herndon would've allowed them to also use two te sets.

the bottom line is this team still needs to figure out the oline and until they become consistent blockers then darnold will have bad days.

13 hours ago, JetNation said:

Adam Gase, Bill Belichick

There are so many reasons for Jets fans to be frustrated right now. Coming off a solid victory over the Cowboys the Jets were big underdogs versus the Patriots. Everyone was rooting for a win and would have settled for a solid effort. Instead Sam Darnold, the offensive line, no pass rush, the secondary, Gregg Williams and a terrible night for Adam Gase are many of the reasons for the frustration.

Coach Gase summed it up this way when he spoke to the media on Monday.

We have to learn from this game, it’s a game where it’s very painful and frustrating to go through. You have to take as much as you can as far as learning from mistakes made, learn from the experience and put yourself in a position to where that doesn’t happen again. There’s a lot of things as an entire team that we need to do a lot better. We didn’t play well in any phase and we have a lot to work on.

How much of the blame falls on Gase’s shoulders?

Obviously what we put on the field is on me and it wasn’t good enough. I’m always going to be, every week, doing the same thing, going back through seeing mistakes that were made, calls I don’t like, protection schemes, route combinations, all those types of things, run-game schemes. It’s always going to be ever changing, as far as what we need to do better and what we need to emphasize. Obviously, I haven’t found the formula yet to make us anything close to consistent.

Sam Darnold is a young QB and he certainily isn’t the first young QB to be schooled by Bill Belichick. The key for this year is Darnold’s growth and working through setbacks. Gase seems confident that Darnold will be fine moving forward.

I have a lot of confidence in Sam bouncing back from this, it is tough when you go through this originally, then when you go back, watch the tape, you figure out your mistakes, you move on to the next game, you put a good game on tape, that’s really what we have to do.

The schedule gets easier for the Jets moving forward. Can they string together some wins? Gase talks about the team’s struggles this season.

I really think the first year of the program, we’ve had some tough games, we’ve had some shifting lineups, we just haven’t had any chance to have any consistency as far as who’s out there, who’s doing things together. It just feels like we have been a little bit all over the place. We put together a better game against Dallas, things felt like they were coming together decently considering Sam only practiced a few days the Philly week and then was able to go through a full week offensively but we haven’t even really come close outside the Dallas game of putting together a complimentary football game. We have to find consistency, we have to find consistency whether there are two different guys out on the field in one of the phases or five or none. We just have to find some kind of consistency as an entire team of guys going in there, doing their job, executing what we practice all week.

The post Coach Gase Speaks After Pats Loss appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

7fG9ZB3e4cg

Click here to read the full story...

Coach?  "You know what to do, reset."  LOL, he is a spectator not a coach.

10 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Someone needs to account for Sam’s mechanics because he looked like he just learned how to throw a football. The stats don’t concern me, that happens. But his mechanics were atrocious. Footwork, arm angle, ball handling, everything looked like he hadn’t played football for years.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

ehhh....last week he was making the same throws....off balance, bad arm angles etc...its a bad game. Against probably one of if not the best coach of all time, with an oline that couldn't make simple adjustments like sliding to the pressure. It is one game...sure a terrible one...but it is just one game. 

10 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Best post today. When you have an offense with a confidence issue let them dink and dunk to build some rhythm.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, phill1c said:

Is that so hard? 

or try to block at the end with a wide receiver in motion...something anything

2 hours ago, Alentador31 said:

ehhh....last week he was making the same throws....off balance, bad arm angles etc...its a bad game. Against probably one of if not the best coach of all time, with an oline that couldn't make simple adjustments like sliding to the pressure. It is one game...sure a terrible one...but it is just one game. 

but is not really it is 5 games where we came out totally ill prepared looking completely like crap that is the coach, remember the eagles game...that is a good example