How Can A "Defender" Making a Tackle Be Penalized for A Chop Block?

The Gun Of Bavaria

I refuse to use that word. I'm just trying to understand the Ref's rationale. How can a defender be making a 'block' to begin with, let alone be penalized 15 for trying to make a tackle

I was just kidding. Im sure it has a good reason to be called...just like Polamalu's INT vs Indy.

I'll take a crack at this. What the refs were calling was that Matt H. was taking out the blocker Townshend below the knees and not trying to make the tackle. It was a stretch of a call, but it didn't excuse the interception or the fact that Seattle's D bit huge on the reverse pass.

Bad calls in the game.

1) The TD. Too close to call either way but I don't know how the offical on the field could call it a TD it was that close. In my heart Pitt woould have gone on 4th and the bus would have punched it in anyway so I don't think it would have had an overall effect on the game.

2) the Offensive Interference in the endzone. Come on, technically it was but how the hell do you call that.

3) THe phantom holding call on the pass to the 3.

4) the insult to injury personal foul call on hasselback when he made the tackle on the interception.

5) THe non call of the horse coller tacle on alexander

6) the non call of the holding that let rothelsberger the first down with 3 mins left.

7) Numerous non calls of offsides on the pitt blitz.

Bad calls in the game.

1) The TD. Too close to call either way but I don't know how the offical on the field could call it a TD it was that close. In my heart Pitt woould have gone on 4th and the bus would have punched it in anyway so I don't think it would have had an overall effect on the game.

2) the Offensive Interference in the endzone. Come on, technically it was but how the hell do you call that.

3) THe phantom holding call on the pass to the 3.

4) the insult to injury personal foul call on hasselback when he made the tackle on the interception.

5) THe non call of the horse coller tacle on alexander

6) the non call of the holding that let rothelsberger the first down with 3 mins left.

7) Numerous non calls of offsides on the pitt blitz.

Dude Jackson pushed off forcefully enough that the Pittsburgh DB's feet were both in the air. That's why they have the rule. Or do you think the current NFL rules favor the defense too much? DB's have it tough nowadays with the "Ty Law" rule.

I hear you & understand your feeling that you don't think you make that call in the SB, but the officials aren't supposed to get opinionated as to when an infraction is called & when it isn't. If an infraction is committed, the yellow flag's supposed to come out.

That is not the phrase that comes to mind when i think about this game.

:character42:

if i were a hawks fan i'd be alot more pissed that hasselbeck threw that horrible INT than the call that followed. People seem to be forgetting that the Seahawks made dozens of mistakes - coupled with the "bad calls" it's an overwhelming situation - but had the Hawks played mistake free football they had a very real chance to win.

That was pass interference on Jackson. You cannot use the defender as leverage to break in opposite direction. Its hard enough for CBs and safeties to compete in today's NFL. That was a good call by the ref.

Here is another blown call, on the steelers last offensive possession Roethlisberger clearly did not call a TO before the game clock ran out. It would have made it 3rd and 11 rather than 3rd and 6. Huge gaff by the refs.

That was pass interference on Jackson. You cannot use the defender as leverage to break in opposite direction. Its hard enough for CBs and safeties to compete in today's NFL. That was a good call by the ref.

Here is another blown call, on the steelers last offensive possession Roethlisberger clearly did not call a TO before the game clock ran out. It would have made it 3rd and 11 rather than 3rd and 6. Huge gaff by the refs.

True, the clock was on "0" when he called the time out.

Look at the F'n replay, the Pitt Defender hit DJ first in endzone, the call on DJ was very marginal .. very poor and it sucked.

one of the worst calls i have ever seen. i still don't exactly unserstand what that call was. how can penalize a player for tackling the ball carrier?

If matt took out Deshea out with block it is a penalty. Clearly he did not and was a terrible call which is not challengable to boot. Ike Taylor was tackled on this great play by MH.

refs ought to be ashamed of this effort.

That penalty on the tackle still baffles me. Believe it or not, that same penalty was called against Jeff Hartings of the Steelers during the monday night game against the Colts a couple of months ago. Same exact situation. I had no idea that rule even existed.

Stiller- on hartings play his low hit was on blocker who subsequenlty hit the colt interceptor. that is a penalty. Breaking the wedge with same move is also a penalty.

Wah, wah, wah. They lost. Were there a couple of bad calls, yes. But, Seattle still had an opportunity to win if they would have executed.

They did execute the play that very well could have won them the game, its just that it was called back on that phantom holding call.

I personally don't accept that it was a fair game when one team had to play perfect football to even have a chance to win and the other team could play as bad as they did and still win. It all came down to that holding call. Its possible that that call completely determined the winner of the game when its all said and done. Forget the other calls, the consequences of those calls weren't as dramatic. From a legit first and goal at the 1 yard line to a 3rd and 18. Sure they could have gotten a field goal, but I think that there was no way pittsburgh could have stopped them from scoring the TD without that penalty. Thats most likely a 14 point swing cause of that one call.

They did execute the play that very well could have won them the game, its just that it was called back on that phantom holding call.

I personally don't accept that it was a fair game when one team had to play perfect football to even have a chance to win and the other team could play as bad as they did and still win. It all came down to that holding call. Its possible that that call completely determined the winner of the game when its all said and done. Forget the other calls, the consequences of those calls weren't as dramatic. From a legit first and goal at the 1 yard line to a 3rd and 18. Sure they could have gotten a field goal, but I think that there was no way pittsburgh could have stopped them from scoring the TD without that penalty. Thats most likely a 14 point swing cause of that one call.

Bingo we got Bingo

Slug is a bit slow 2day, mixing ludes and crack is a not a good combo

Bingo we got Bingo

Slug is a bit slow 2day, mixing ludes and crack is a not a good combo

Silly speculation aside, they didn't do enough to win the game...period. The b-i-t-c-hing and whining is getting really tired. Sorry if you had money on the game and lost, but the bottom line is the best team won. Not because of phantom calls, but because they were better. I would say the same friggin' thing if the patriots were involved and won.

By the way, very witty comeback with the drug accusations.

"Those things are out of our control," Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said of the three major penalties that helped change the game completely. Not saying the outcome of the game would have been any different, but for sure it would have been a different game. "That's the way [the officials] called them," Hasselbeck continued. "The Steelers played well enough to win tonight, and we didn't. They should get credit. It's disappointing, it's hard, but what are you going to do?"

I respect how Holmgren and the Hawks havent whined in the press about the hosing. They know they didnt play great, and are definitely taking the high road.

I was reading through the Seattle Times today, and I am so amazed at the difference between a WC city paper and what would have been written in an East Coast paper if this had happened to their team.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/home/index.html

To say they are "mellow" just doesnt do justice- they arent even roasting Holmgren for the time mismanagement.

Just a kind of "oh well, we tried, la dee da" attitude.

Can you imagine how the Post, The Miami Herald or the Philly Enquirer would react?

They must put quaaludes in the Starbucks out there.

edit: They changed editions since I last bookmarked the site, and now Holmgren is a little more vocal about it:

"We knew it was going to be tough playing against the Steelers," Holmgren said at a Qwest Field rally this afternoon. ""I didn

Archived