Watched it again... Feel a little better

nico002

Nico thank you for the write up,  but why torture yourself.   Sam was bad.  All of those picks not one of them he stepped into the throw.  Was he afraid to get hit because of the spleen.  Inquiring minds want to know.  On to Jacksonville.  He will do better, we all hope,  but I still am not a believer yet.  Sam please make me a believer.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, RevisIsland610 said:

You feel better about our clueless HC and the awful game planning? You feel better about the awful OL and them not being able to prevent guys coming in untouched on Darnold all night long. You feel better about our receivers being totally incapable of getting open all night? You feel better about our defense not making any stops when the game mattered? Darnold will be fine. It's everything else that concerns me. 

A little bit, yes. A lot of it was situational. A horrible start put the team in a big hole early. The team then got into 3rd in long situations so where the zero blitz is almost unstoppable... we need 10 yards but the only thing we can get at 0-5... unless the QB throws up a prayer. Again, I’m not saying it wasn’t terrible, but I can at least wrap my head around what happened now, and still have some faith that the season can end up on a somewhat positive note.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Can’t believe I put myself through that again but to be honest I feel a little bit better. Some observations.

- the first pick by Darnold was his worst play of the entire game. He either missed high or thought crowder would be higher in his route, he had to throw before crowder  got to his break due to pressure. 

- huge drop by DT on second drive, would have been a 15-20 yard gain. 

- fumble, to me Darnolds second worst play of the game. He has a receiver to his left but he started his read to the right, no time to look the other way. Bad play because needs to hold on to the ball.

- second int, 3rd and 10 down 24 points. Darnold just trying to make something happen. Free rusher in his face just has to throw it up and hope someone makes a play,  DT possibly ran the wrong route. Had another option to the left but would have only been a 5 yard gain. Booger harping on back foot throw but that’s irrelevant, Darnold has to lob it up to give DT a chance to even get to his spot. I can live with this play.

- 3rd int, 3rd and 10 down 24 points, same story as above but around mid field. Immediate free rusher and Darnold just lobs it up hoping Robby can make a play in on 1 on 1 coverage. A sack pretty much seals the game so I appreciate Sam at least giving the team a prayer- I think he could have put a little more on this ball, but hard to do as he was forced to throw off back foot due to pressure in his face. 

- turnover on downs, redzone. Darnold does a good job hanging in the pocket to find a streaking Anderson, unfortunately he is hit as he throws forcing the ball high. 

- 4th int, 3rd down redzone. Same story again, instant pressure so Darnold throws up a ball to DT in single coverage hoping he can make a play. No other option except maybe a scramble to the left but would have only been a 5 yard gain. This wasn’t a bad throw, he throws it with anticipation to the right area but the defender has great position. 

overall, not as bad as it felt watching in real time. The horrible start put the team in huge hole which forced Darnold to try and make something out of nothing on third down- rather than take a sack and punt. I did not see a QB unable to read the field or Miss opportunities that were there. These were lose-lose situations and I actually like that Darnold was trying to make something happen. If Darnold eats those plays and takes a sack we still lose 33-3, but he would have a “better” stat line. Darnold stayed aggressive deep into the game and made some good throws, including a deep ball that should have been a TD but Anderson lost track is the ball. 

the simpsons episode 6 GIF

6 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

Nico thank you for the write up,  but why torcher yourself.   Sam was bad.  All of those picks not one of them he stepped into the throw.  Was he afraid to get hit because of the spleen.  Inquiring minds want to know.  On to Jacksonville.  He will do better, we all hope,  but I still am not a believer yet.  Sam please make me a believer.

It wasn’t the spleen man, it was being down 24 and wanting to make something happen on 3rd down rather than taking a sack/punting it 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jumbo2927 said:

The only defense I could say for Darnold is that the plays designed in the framework of the offense did not work. The pressure was getting to Darnold before the WRs turned their head. 

That said there is zero reason he should throw those balls. 

I don’t agree with the zero reason point, he has two options:

- take a sack resulting in a punt/4th & 20

- lob it up to a receiver in single coverage 

1 minute ago, Green Truth said:

They were down 7 than 10 than 17.  The picks just kept on coming.  There is no looking at that debacle and saying there is hope.  It was a downright atrocity.  Take the sack and punt.  Step up into the pocket and rip it.  Nothing but follie floaters.

Like it said, two terrible plays by Darnold and bad defense to start set up the hole. My point is that it was a game where Darnold made two terrible plays, not 5. That’s all. I said I felt a little better, not good .

5 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

The defense kept that game under 50.  Do not blame the defense.  He made terrible plays all night.  Did he forget how to run.  He was afraid to get hit last night and it showed.

Yes defense played well after a bad start 

a person who has masochism, the condition in which sexual or other gratification depends on one's suffering physical pain or humiliation. a person who is gratified by pain, degradation, etc., that is self-imposed or imposed by others. a person who finds pleasure in self-denial, submissiveness, etc.

If you have questions or concerns about your sickness, Hotline advocates are available 24/7 by calling 1-800-799-7233, or you can chat online here on our website from 7 a.m. to 2 a.m.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If Sam is going to be elite one day. He's going to have to do better than "lobbing it up" when there are free rushers. These bad plays are in fact avoidable.

I just didn’t see any other options on those specific plays- maybe the issue is pre snap, but I don’t know. 

44 minutes ago, nico002 said:
Can’t believe I put myself through that again but to be honest I feel a little bit better. Some observations.
- the first pick by Darnold was his worst play of the entire game. He either missed high or thought crowder would be higher in his route, he had to throw before crowder  got to his break due to pressure. 

- huge drop by DT on second drive, would have been a 15-20 yard gain. 

- fumble, to me Darnolds second worst play of the game. He has a receiver to his left but he started his read to the right, no time to look the other way. Bad play because needs to hold on to the ball.
- second int, 3rd and 10 down 24 points. Darnold just trying to make something happen. Free rusher in his face just has to throw it up and hope someone makes a play,  DT possibly ran the wrong route. Had another option to the left but would have only been a 5 yard gain. Booger harping on back foot throw but that’s irrelevant, Darnold has to lob it up to give DT a chance to even get to his spot. I can live with this play.
- 3rd int, 3rd and 10 down 24 points, same story as above but around mid field. Immediate free rusher and Darnold just lobs it up hoping Robby can make a play in on 1 on 1 coverage. A sack pretty much seals the game so I appreciate Sam at least giving the team a prayer- I think he could have put a little more on this ball, but hard to do as he was forced to throw off back foot due to pressure in his face. 

- turnover on downs, redzone. Darnold does a good job hanging in the pocket to find a streaking Anderson, unfortunately he is hit as he throws forcing the ball high. 
- 4th int, 3rd down redzone. Same story again, instant pressure so Darnold throws up a ball to DT in single coverage hoping he can make a play. No other option except maybe a scramble to the left but would have only been a 5 yard gain. This wasn’t a bad throw, he throws it with anticipation to the right area but the defender has great position. 

overall, not as bad as it felt watching in real time. The horrible start put the team in huge hole which forced Darnold to try and make something out of nothing on third down- rather than take a sack and punt. I did not see a QB unable to read the field or Miss opportunities that were there. These were lose-lose situations and I actually like that Darnold was trying to make something happen. If Darnold eats those plays and takes a sack we still lose 33-3, but he would have a “better” stat line. Darnold stayed aggressive deep into the game and made some good throws, including a deep ball that should have been a TD but Anderson lost track is the ball. 

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

CC25DCB4-7A29-4516-8DD0-1A0F6D11AED9.gif

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

a person who has masochism, the condition in which sexual or other gratification depends on one's suffering physical pain or humiliation. a person who is gratified by pain, degradation, etc., that is self-imposed or imposed by others. a person who finds pleasure in self-denial, submissiveness, etc.

If you have questions or concerns about your sickness, Hotline advocates are available 24/7 by calling 1-800-799-7233, or you can chat online here on our website from 7 a.m. to 2 a.m.

Am I the only one who transitioned from mildly hopeful for an upset to ok well so much for winning hopefully Darnold atleast plays well  to ok well maybe he'll recover to complete gallows humor by the end of the first 1/4? Between the hysteria here and the hijinks on the field the worse it got the funnier it was.

This franchise is clownshoes, you need to find more ways to enjoy them besides winning 

8 minutes ago, nico002 said:

I just didn’t see any other options on those specific plays- maybe the issue is pre snap, but I don’t know. 

Nico they ran the same 2 defenses all night.  After the 4th time.  You have to have an answer.  Cover Zero/ Cover One.  Its that simple.  The Jets did not have an answer.  Get off the spot by rolling out get an extra second or 2.  Sam has to tell Gase.  I see it,  but we cant block it.  Get me off the spot where they think I am gong to be.  Nothing happened.  Same bat time same bat channel for the Pats all evening.  I was pissed last night.  I let it go.  This one is done.  Pats are shooting for the 19-0 .  The last dance for the best QB to ever suit up.  Time to move on.

5 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Did you watch all 22 and do you have any idea what you're watching with any depth beyond reacting to the result? I'm not saying you do or dont but you need both to be coming to any conclusion like you have here.

Actually one thing that was interesting is Darnold recognized the first blitz, tried to slide the protection and the line didnt hear him or something, Darnold took the blame and said he needed to be louder but it seemed loud enough to me (not to mention obvious), maybe he has to kick the oline in the ass a bit

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, CTM said:

Am I the only one who transitioned from mildly hopeful for an upset to ok well so much for winning hopefully Darnold atleast plays well  to ok well maybe he'll recover to complete gallows humor by the end of the first 1/4? Between the hysteria here and the hijinks on the field the worse it got the funnier it was.

This franchise is clownshoes, you need to find more ways to enjoy them besides winning 

Pretty sure we all took that ride with you.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CTM said:

Did you watch all 22 and do you have any idea what you're watching with any depth beyond reacting to the result? I'm not saying you do or dont but you need both to be coming to any conclusion like you have here.

Actually one thing that was interesting is Darnold recognized the first blitz, tried to slide the protection and the line didnt hear him or something, Darnold took the blame and said he needed to be louder but it seemed loud enough to me (not to mention obvious), maybe he has to kick the oline in the ass a bit

On the play you are talking about Darnold yelled out 58.  It was loud enough for me to hear on my TV at home.  The line is just bad.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

Maybe the OL is still pissed about the steak knives Sammy bought them last year?

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Jets fan and masochist are synonymous. 1-800-YOU-JEST

Look, it was bad.  No way around it.

However, I do think Sam was throwing off his back foot because of the toe issues, which supposedly are resolved now with the nail removed.  So maybe his mechanics won't be as bad this week.  Obviously last night was a Murphy's Law game, but hopefully Gase realizes the whole approach of the offense needs an overhaul, and it starts with a new line call process and Sam actually taking ownership of the process before the snap to diagnose what's going on.  Last night was amateur hour.  Sam needs to look at some young Peyton Manning film and see how it took him time to gain command of the line process, but eventually he mastered it.

• Upvote 1