Watched it again... Feel a little better

nico002

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

Can’t believe I put myself through that again but to be honest I feel a little bit better. Some observations.

- the first pick by Darnold was his worst play of the entire game. He either missed high or thought crowder would be higher in his route, he had to throw before crowder  got to his break due to pressure. 

- huge drop by DT on second drive, would have been a 15-20 yard gain. 

- fumble, to me Darnolds second worst play of the game. He has a receiver to his left but he started his read to the right, no time to look the other way. Bad play because needs to hold on to the ball.

- second int, 3rd and 10 down 24 points. Darnold just trying to make something happen. Free rusher in his face just has to throw it up and hope someone makes a play,  DT possibly ran the wrong route. Had another option to the left but would have only been a 5 yard gain. Booger harping on back foot throw but that’s irrelevant, Darnold has to lob it up to give DT a chance to even get to his spot. I can live with this play.

- 3rd int, 3rd and 10 down 24 points, same story as above but around mid field. Immediate free rusher and Darnold just lobs it up hoping Robby can make a play in on 1 on 1 coverage. A sack pretty much seals the game so I appreciate Sam at least giving the team a prayer- I think he could have put a little more on this ball, but hard to do as he was forced to throw off back foot due to pressure in his face. 

- turnover on downs, redzone. Darnold does a good job hanging in the pocket to find a streaking Anderson, unfortunately he is hit as he throws forcing the ball high. 

- 4th int, 3rd down redzone. Same story again, instant pressure so Darnold throws up a ball to DT in single coverage hoping he can make a play. No other option except maybe a scramble to the left but would have only been a 5 yard gain. This wasn’t a bad throw, he throws it with anticipation to the right area but the defender has great position. 

overall, not as bad as it felt watching in real time. The horrible start put the team in huge hole which forced Darnold to try and make something out of nothing on third down- rather than take a sack and punt. I did not see a QB unable to read the field or Miss opportunities that were there. These were lose-lose situations and I actually like that Darnold was trying to make something happen. If Darnold eats those plays and takes a sack we still lose 33-3, but he would have a “better” stat line. Darnold stayed aggressive deep into the game and made some good throws, including a deep ball that should have been a TD but Anderson lost track is the ball. 

The thing that bugs me most was that DT drop. Maybe it wouldn't have meant anything but I still wonder if we had moved the chains there would it have built up Sam's confidence at all.  (not to mention keep the defense off the field).  I'm still very confident we would've lost but maybe it would've prevented the floodgates from opening up early and the score wouldn't have been as bad.  I can already hear the sarcastic comments like "yeah, it would've been 33-3".  And maybe that's true but I have to wonder if it would've made a difference.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

The sideline or a sack are better options than int

I’m talking outside of the first int and fumble. So I don’t agree with you. A fourth and 20/punt is not better than a 1on1 ball when down 24 points. If Darnold just eats those plays he makes his stat line look better and we lose 33-3... 

10 hours ago, nico002 said:

I don’t agree with the zero reason point, he has two options:

- take a sack resulting in a punt/4th & 20

- lob it up to a receiver in single coverage 

I haven't (and won't) watch again, but I did think on some of the INTs Sam was trying to throw a 50/50 ball with the hopes the WR would make a play or draw a PI call.

However, I think one of the early INTs (don't recall which one...1st half I believe) we were in the red zone and could have at least come away with a FG. Probably would have had zero impact on outcome, but may have helped team mentally going into the half.

41 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

If we're being honest, Darnold was actually really good vs. the Pats.

On further review, we really had a nonDarnold problem the other night. The Darnold faction of the Jets played well and never gave up, whereas the nonDarnolds at best had thrown in the towel early, at worst where conspiring with the enemy if not out right switched sides. 

I'd say all things considered the Darnolds put on a heroic effort vs the Pats and the nonDarnolds

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

I haven't (and won't) watch again, but I did think on some of the INTs Sam was trying to throw a 50/50 ball with the hopes the WR would make a play or draw a PI call.

However, I think one of the early INTs (don't recall which one...1st half I believe) we were in the red zone and could have at least come away with a FG. Probably would have had zero impact on outcome, but may have helped team mentally going into the half.

Yes, but we’re down 24 points against Brady and the pats. It’s TD or bust. Perhaps he should have thrown it away and lived another down.

16 hours ago, nico002 said:

A little bit, yes. A lot of it was situational. A horrible start put the team in a big hole early. The team then got into 3rd in long situations so where the zero blitz is almost unstoppable... we need 10 yards but the only thing we can get at 0-5... unless the QB throws up a prayer. Again, I’m not saying it wasn’t terrible, but I can at least wrap my head around what happened now, and still have some faith that the season can end up on a somewhat positive note.

Thing you need to realize that even down by 10 in just 2 possessions,  a good team would still have made a game of it. The Jets proved from that point on , they are not a good team.  I got that feeling when down by 10. I just turned it off.

If the Jets had put SOME points on the board, it was easy to look at those positives and chalk it up just not being prepared at the beginning.

But, the way the Pats were rolling all over them, they just plain got out-coached - out played , out-prepared, out and out manhandled. At  home in their own playground to boot.

When you grade each facet of their game with ALL F's as Bart Scott and Ray Lucas have, there's is nothing that can be used to ease one's mind..... except that thank God the game doesn't have 5 quarters.

Umm Darnold played SCARED all game. He was jumpy in the pocket and after the first quarter had NO clue where the pressure was coming.. I think it was the middle of the third where he had time but got happy feet and was throwing everything into the third row NOT even close to a receiver. Matter fact one was so bad they picked up a PI penalty on the Patriots because the ball was uncatchable.   Darnold sucked on Monday but it’s ok it’s just one game and move on hopefully he loses the happy feet.

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The thing that bugs me most was that DT drop. Maybe it wouldn't have meant anything but I still wonder if we had moved the chains there would it have built up Sam's confidence at all.  (not to mention keep the defense off the field).  I'm still very confident we would've lost but maybe it would've prevented the floodgates from opening up early and the score wouldn't have been as bad.  I can already hear the sarcastic comments like "yeah, it would've been 33-3".  And maybe that's true but I have to wonder if it would've made a difference.

Oh....I have thought the same thing also....that along with the ST penalty on our first return after the Pats opening TD which had us starting inside our own 10 vs the 32 yd line. No question, that game just snow balled as it went on. 
you can’t beat the beast making mistakes like that

• Upvote 1

You shouldn't be excusing him for trying to "make something happen" on his INTs.  Often the best thing you can do is eat the sack or throw it away.  Just because the game still would have been lost if he doesn't make those bad plays doesn't mean they weren't bad plays.  Take the lesser of two evils, the devil you know, whatever cliche you like.

That's why they're trying to cure Josh Allen of his "hero ball" urge in Buffalo which played into their loss against NE as well.  NE's defense is getting to feast on young QBs trying to be heroes and handing them the division again.