Driving home after the game

Maxman

22 hours ago, SAR I said:

Definitely.  And as a father of 2 licensed drivers who spend a lot of time on Northern NJ and Pennsylvania highways, deer safety is a very big deal, I once saw a deer hit a car about 100 feet ahead of me and you can't believe how fast it happens, the deer lept in the air and was sucked under the car like a vaccum, couldn't believe it.  I came across this on Twitter today, the last bullet is the most important:

Planning To Avoid Collisions With Deer

According to the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection:

• If you spot a deer, slow down and pay attention to possible sudden movement. If the deer doesn’t move, don’t go around it. Wait for the deer to pass and the road is clear.
  • Pay attention to “Deer Crossing” signs. Slow down when traveling through areas known to have a high concentration of deer so you will have ample time to stop if necessary.
  • If you are traveling after dark, use high beams when there is no oncoming traffic. High beams will be reflected by the eyes of deer on or near roads.
  • If you see one deer, be on guard: others may be in the area. Deer typically move in family groups at this time of year and cross roads single-file. Female deer are being chased by bucks and during breeding phase are often unaware of traffic.
  • Don’t tailgate. Remember: the driver in front of you might have to stop suddenly to avoid hitting a deer.
  • Always wear a seatbelt, as required by law. Drive at a safe and sensible speed, taking into account weather, available lighting, traffic, curves and other road conditions.
  • If a collision appears inevitable, do not swerve to avoid impact. The deer may counter-maneuver suddenly. Brake appropriately, but stay in your lane. Collisions are more likely to become fatal when a driver swerves to avoid a deer and instead collides with oncoming traffic or a fixed structure along the road.

SAR I

Thanks Sar. The bolded part is what I was doing, but it was because I had no choice really. They are so damn fast though.

Where I live it hasn't been an issue, but they are building a few large communities off of the highway and there seems to be a new homeless problem which is a big issue.

• Upvote 1

On 10/23/2019 at 12:46 AM, SAR I said:

Definitely.  And as a father of 2 licensed drivers who spend a lot of time on Northern NJ and Pennsylvania highways, deer safety is a very big deal, I once saw a deer hit a car about 100 feet ahead of me and you can't believe how fast it happens, the deer lept in the air and was sucked under the car like a vaccum, couldn't believe it.  I came across this on Twitter today, the last bullet is the most important:

Planning To Avoid Collisions With Deer

According to the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection:

• If you spot a deer, slow down and pay attention to possible sudden movement. If the deer doesn’t move, don’t go around it. Wait for the deer to pass and the road is clear.
  • Pay attention to “Deer Crossing” signs. Slow down when traveling through areas known to have a high concentration of deer so you will have ample time to stop if necessary.
  • If you are traveling after dark, use high beams when there is no oncoming traffic. High beams will be reflected by the eyes of deer on or near roads.
  • If you see one deer, be on guard: others may be in the area. Deer typically move in family groups at this time of year and cross roads single-file. Female deer are being chased by bucks and during breeding phase are often unaware of traffic.
  • Don’t tailgate. Remember: the driver in front of you might have to stop suddenly to avoid hitting a deer.
  • Always wear a seatbelt, as required by law. Drive at a safe and sensible speed, taking into account weather, available lighting, traffic, curves and other road conditions.
  • If a collision appears inevitable, do not swerve to avoid impact. The deer may counter-maneuver suddenly. Brake appropriately, but stay in your lane. Collisions are more likely to become fatal when a driver swerves to avoid a deer and instead collides with oncoming traffic or a fixed structure along the road.

SAR I

Thank you Forest Ranger SAR

raw

On 10/24/2019 at 4:29 AM, jgb said:

I am glad this story had a happy ending... this time. As I read each line I felt a pit rising in my stomach.

Me too.

can you imagine after replacing the differential you'd have to replace those windows and front end?

seriously though.....love animals but ive trained myself to NEVER SWERVE! Just light brakes and hit them. Its a quick death for them and no ICU for you

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

On 10/22/2019 at 11:30 PM, Maxman said:

I posted this somewhere else but wanted to share it here. We have all these plans, but this sh*t can end in an instant. Be thankful for every day.

After Monday night I was hoping for an instant ending for some.

On 10/23/2019 at 10:18 PM, Maxman said:

Thanks Sar. The bolded part is what I was doing, but it was because I had no choice really. They are so damn fast though.

Where I live it hasn't been an issue, but they are building a few large communities off of the highway and there seems to be a new homeless problem which is a big issue.

Glad you were ok.  Similar incident happened to me years ago, when I lived in Dutchess County.  Was driving home along a two lane counrty road, deer runs out in the road in front of me.  I was going to hit it.  No doubt in my mind.  Then the deer suddenly jumps out of the way, one of the most incredible things I have ever seen, the way that animal was able to avoid a vehicle moving at 60+ mph by just springing out of the way at the last second. 

Just keep going straight and trust the animal's instincts to get out of the way.

• Upvote 1

On 10/23/2019 at 12:30 AM, Maxman said:

I posted this somewhere else but wanted to share it here. We have all these plans, but this sh*t can end in an instant. Be thankful for every day.

I'll take, "Things I've known since I was 19" for $1000, Alex!

In all seriousness,  people are in total denial about the reality of death and the tenuous grip on mortality we all really have.

Glad you're OK. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/23/2019 at 12:46 AM, SAR I said:

If a collision appears inevitable, do not swerve to avoid impact.

Counter instinctual, unless I guess you are prone to freezing. Takes real discipline to remain cool though.

I see them all the time but never going above 35/40. Any near miss I've had I've always swerved bas8cally on instinct and luckily been ok, a lot easier to do that at slow speeds though.

When I was young my girlfriend at the time tried to swerve at 70 mph on GSP to avoid sideswipping a car. We went across the highway twice as she was trying to straighten us out before flying into a ditch and ending up upside down in the woods.  It's easy to lose complete control of a car at high speeds when jerking the wheel.

Anyway, great tip

• Upvote 1

I've hit deer on three separate occasions.  All three happened at the blink of an eye with them just jumping out of the darkness in front of me. The first two were full grown bucks that totaled my cars.

I tend to see them on my morning commute maybe two or three days a week.  When they appear I blast my horn.  It shocks them into reacting faster than if you just let them decide to react on their own.  

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

What you really do not want to hit is a Moose.

not funny, but very funny lol...

I hit a deer about 35 years ago when it was dark. Thank god it was on a back road where the speed limit was like 35-40, crushed the front end of my girlfriends honda civic... She was hysterical cause it was her car. I'm like what would you have me do, drive into a tree instead... I also remember my Dad driving down 287 from the Morristown area. This is going back to early 70's... We had a Pontiac Catalina with the big steel bumper.  Here's the good thing about most cars back then, vs today's cars. The deer was crushed, no damage to our vehicle except for the antler going through the radiator. My older sister was also hysterical, and I had to slap her to stop screaming in my ear lol... 

I have 2 crazy deer stories. 2 yrs ago I was doing 50mph at night and a deer jumped over a guardrail and I slammed into it in midair! Never saw it coming and didn’t have a chance to even tap my brakes. Luckily I was driving a suv and just had major damage to my front hood.

We lost a close family friend a few years ago same way. The couple were driving on a highway and deer jumped in front of the car. The deer was cut in half and the passenger was killed instantly. 

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

not funny, but very funny lol...

I hit a deer about 35 years ago when it was dark. Thank god it was on a back road where the speed limit was like 35-40, crushed the front end of my girlfriends honda civic... She was hysterical cause it was her car. I'm like what would you have me do, drive into a tree instead... I also remember my Dad driving down 287 from the Morristown area. This is going back to early 70's... We had a Pontiac Catalina with the big steel bumper.  Here's the good thing about most cars back then, vs today's cars. The deer was crushed, no damage to our vehicle except for the antler going through the radiator. My older sister was also hysterical, and I had to slap her to stop screaming in my ear lol... 

Oh i did not say it to be funny to be honest.  My sister in law hit a moose car was badly damaged but she was lucky and was okay.  A woman I used to work with, her sister hit a moose and was killed.