Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mastenpark

How To Beat Cover 0

Recommended Posts

 

I know some you guys probability think I am a troll.  In all honestly I just want my Bills to be relevant again and to have a Franchise QB. At the end of the day Jets fans just want to the same for their team. We can debate about what 2nd year QB is better yada, yada,  but I can say while I do take joy in the Jets losing what happened to Darnold against the PATS kinda hurt just a little. 

With that being said the Patriots use cover 0 alot against QB's got me wondering why this defense is so hard to beat so a youtube video away a came across a video on some explaination on how to beat cover 0 or at a minimum what should be going through a QB/Playcaller mind on how to beat it. I want our QB's to be able to eat this type of coverage up in the future.  

 

  • Upvote 5
  • Butt Fumble 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pats gonna keep zero blitzing until the Jets make them pay. Bill Belichick taught me how to beat zero blitz in the 2005 playoffs. Anybody wanna know how?

If the defense blitzes the FS, they have the offense outnumber. So, there will be a free runner at the QB. The QB only has much time as it takes for the unblocked man to get to him (less than 2 seconds) which eliminates all but quick routes or goes. Max pro doesn't work because..

the offense is still outnumbered. In '05 Bill tried to beat it by motioning the slot WR across the formation an having him block the end man on the line. That way the WR takes 2 defenders out of the play, the man covering him and the man he blocks. Which can...

give the QB as much time as he would have against cover 1. That allows for intermediate routes, double moves, deep crossers, etc. all that without a FS to clean things up. NO DB can cover all of that consistently. And that's tonight's edition of Bill is smarter than us.

Somehow we (Broncos) won that game, but the following week the Steelers used a modified version of that same game plan with Hines Ward who was built for that job and they blew us out and wore my rookie ass out.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The above is a guide strategy. But I hate when people say just to throw slants. That's when you get a rain blitz and get tricked into throwing a pick. Can elaborate more later. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Adam Gase

apparently he’s needs to watch this video

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better forward that video to Gase because Darnold is gonna keep seeing cover 0 until he can consistently beat it. Herndon would help. Still you have to practice against it and have a plan to beat it. Yes a plan P L A N plan!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

The above is a guide strategy. But I hate when people say just to throw slants. That's when you get a rain blitz and get tricked into throwing a pick. Can elaborate more later. 

Agreed.  Your WRs also need to recognize this and adjust their route accordingly.  Sometimes they are begging you to throw the slant.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Better forward that video to Gase because Darnold is gonna keep seeing cover 0 until he can consistently beat it. Herndon would help. Still you have to practice against it and have a plan to beat it. Yes a plan P L A N plan!

In the words of that great American philosopher Mike Tyson, "Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the face."

Sam got hit in the face. He has to show he can get up and keep fighting. He has to get to work with his coach on a few things. He needs to either learn to read the coverage better, step up in the pocket and take a hit if necessary, and get off his back foot. He has to be better then this, and hopefully he learned a hard lesson.

I'm pretty sure this wasn't the first time a team ran this defense against him, and after Monday night, it won't be the last.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You think the DB doesn't know you have no option to run the slant?  Why you hear their CBs talking about trusting the front guys to "get home".  They are playing at the top of their game as super bowl favorites.  We drafted 3rd last year and have a 2nd year qb.  Yes he got crossed up with all the looks he got.  

PS. "see ghosts" is not as crazy as media makes it sound.  Refers to pressure that isn't there in football terms.

PPS f the bills

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

In the words of that great American philosopher Mike Tyson, "Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the face."

Sam got hit in the face. He has to show he can get up and keep fighting. He has to get to work with his coach on a few things. He needs to either learn to read the coverage better, step up in the pocket and take a hit if necessary, and get off his back foot. He has to be better then this, and hopefully he learned a hard lesson.

I'm pretty sure this wasn't the first time a team ran this defense against him, and after Monday night, it won't be the last.

this as well, and when he went back to his corner, his corner man didn't do him any favors...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

In the words of that great American philosopher Mike Tyson, "Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the face."

Sam got hit in the face. He has to show he can get up and keep fighting. He has to get to work with his coach on a few things. He needs to either learn to read the coverage better, step up in the pocket and take a hit if necessary, and get off his back foot. He has to be better then this, and hopefully he learned a hard lesson.

I'm pretty sure this wasn't the first time a team ran this defense against him, and after Monday night, it won't be the last.

if cover zero is so great, all teams would be using at all times.  it's not like it just came about.  i'm sure williams uses it in some fashion.

as for darnold, he saw it in the buffalo game and he will be seeing it all season as long as it keeps working.  the jets needs to figure out how to prepare for it and make the defense pay when they try  it.  gase is supposed to be an offense guru, he should already know the solution.  then it remains for them to have the right people to negate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

You think the DB doesn't know you have no option to run the slant?  Why you hear their CBs talking about trusting the front guys to "get home".  They are playing at the top of their game as super bowl favorites.  We drafted 3rd last year and have a 2nd year qb.  Yes he got crossed up with all the looks he got.  

PS. "see ghosts" is not as crazy as media makes it sound.  Refers to pressure that isn't there in football terms.

PPS f the bills

Well said. Completely agree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Be better coached. 

Don't have sh*tty Oline

Don't have mediocre WRs, TEs

That also helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Brady said he saw ghosts then Gregg Williams would be getting offers the very next day to be a HC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, peebag said:

Don't have sh*tty Oline

Don't have mediocre WRs, TEs

That also helps.

All of it helps. Starting with the coaches then QB then oline etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  Your WRs also need to recognize this and adjust their route accordingly.  Sometimes they are begging you to throw the slant.  

Yup. Especially against Belicheck, since it's a staple of him and Saban. Here's a good breakdown of it:

http://www.blitzology.com/2012/02/superbowl-preview-bill-belichicks-blitz.html?m=1

Two best ways to beat it are different routes from the same stem as a slant (out route), or, as said above, motioning in a wham blocker. 

Outside of that, it's pretty tough. It's a blitz where you can get a free rusher with only 5 rushers, and you can eliminate the quick slant (or even better, trick them into throwing it). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only problem I had with Darnold is that he was scared to get hit. As a QB you definitely can’t be scared to get hit unless your 40plus years old like Brady

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mastenpark said:

The only problem I had with Darnold is that he was scared to get hit. As a QB you definitely can’t be scared to get hit unless your 40plus years old like Brady

How was he scared to get hit? You’d rather him take a 10 yard sack on 3rd and long? He has defenders touching him on all the interceptions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mastenpark said:

The only problem I had with Darnold is that he was scared to get hit. As a QB you definitely can’t be scared to get hit unless your 40plus years old like Brady

well people had been telling him for a month he has a dangerously enlarged spleen 

that's gotta get in your head on some level 

BTW Cover 0 is not hard to beat if the Jets ran Cover 0 against Brady the score would have been 78-0 instead of 33-0. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Early in the game, use the run against it. That can gash the defense. Screens are pretty safe, even if they fake and drop into a zone


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Bell beat the Cover 0 for a 19 yard run at one point it did happen but also holding penalties 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...