Darnold Is NOT the Problem

JetsLife

53 minutes ago, daquix said:

175 yards, 1 TD, 1 Fumble is “solid”?

wow, expectations are low around here...

It is when your line is doing a bad job of protecting you. Anyone watching the game could see that. He had his team in the lead and protected the football, and took what the defense gave him. They should have won the game.

That was a solid performance by any measure. 

And those aren't my expectations for him, but if how he played against Buffalo is a "bad" game, I can certainly live with it.

• Upvote 1

It is when your line is doing a bad job of protecting you. Anyone watching the game could see that. He had his team in the lead and protected the football, and took what the defense gave him. They should have won the game.
That was a solid performance by any measure. 
And those aren't my expectations for him, but if how he played against Buffalo is a "bad" game, I can certainly live with it.

It’s hysterical how fast this board has pivoted from “Its a QB driven league, just get one” to “You cant win without help for your QB”

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Your math is pretty lame

He played better agains the Bills than any other QB, while having mono. 

He was great against the cowboys.

Totally agree.

He played against a good Buffalo defense, the line did a bad job protecting him, and what did he do? He protected the football, completed a high percentage of short passes (took what the defense gave him), and had his team in a position to win the game. The defense and kicker blew it.

Sam had a solid performance in that game. Was he great? No, but if that's a bad performance from him I can certainly live with those types of games from time to time against good defenses. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What those videos tell me more than anything else is that Adam Gase is a disaster and his entire offense, the entire F-in offense - is completely unprepared.

Across the board....

More that they don't listen or don't understand more then unprepared

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

It’s hysterical how fast this board has pivoted from “Its a QB driven league, just get one” to “You cant win without help for your QB”

You need to be able to protect your QB. And QB's can win with bad O-Lines. Sam was bad on Monday, nobody is ignoring that. But he cut up the Cowboys with a bad O-Line as well. He had a forgettable game against New England. But to overlook other areas on this team that need major upgrades wouldn't be fair. The Jets O-Line is atrocious.

• Upvote 1

You need to be able to protect your QB. And QB's can win with bad O-Lines. Sam was bad on Monday, nobody is ignoring that. But he cut up the Cowboys with a bad O-Line as well. He had a forgettable game against New England. But to overlook other areas on this team that need major upgrades wouldn't be fair. The Jets O-Line is atrocious.

I saw Geno Smith cut up a few teams too in his days. Drafting a QB and then building around him is dumb and the opposite way it should be done.

3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Forgettable is the last word I would use to describe that game.

7 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I saw Geno Smith cut up a few teams too in his days. Drafting a QB and then building around him is dumb and the opposite way it should be done.

The QB can either play or he can't. Sam is either good or he isn't. How you would build the team compared to how I would is irrelevant. We had a ready built team for Mark Sanchez with a great O-Line and he was terrible. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Drafting a QB and then building around him is dumb and the opposite way it should be done.

Our last GM just got fired for it. After he drafted Darnold he went DL with his next pick, drafted a TE in the fourth and basically went D the rest of the way.

Flash forward to 2019 when he picks a DLineman 3rd overall and follows that up with selecting Polite with the third pick of the third round.

If we had a competent GM we would have taken offense with every single pick after we drafted Darnold. 

You can draft the QB first but you sure as hell better start fortifying the offense right away. Mac failed badly.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, nico002 said:

He had a bad game, team was overmatched, our out coached, that is the best defense/scheme he’ll ever face in his career. Lets move on 

Agree with this. The kid and the rest of the team, except Bell, had a terrible game. You would think people would let it go especially because it was against a team that has a  statistically better defense so far this year than the 85 Bears or 2000 ravens. That's some serious sh*t. They have given up a grand total of 3 f'ing TD's in 7 games. Take away the 14 points the jets defense scored against them in the first game and their defense has given up a grand total of 34 f'ing points in 7 games. He was great the week before against Dallas. He's not going to fall apart because of a terrible game against a great team that happens to be undefeated. People really need some perspective. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, daquix said:

FACT: If Darnold was on another team, this entire forum would be talking about how much he sucks.

But because he’s in green, excuses flow!

Wait a minute.  So if we had josh allen playing the way he is and winning games, and buffalo had mono/toe 5 interception ghostbuster, we wouldnt be clamouring for darnold and complaing what a bad pick allen was?

i dont believe it.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

FACT 2: Bad O-lines do not make bad QB’s.

Case in point - The Texans O-line has been the worst line in the league for 3 years. That’s why they gave up a TON to get Tunsil.

Despite having a terrible O-Line, Watson has been a Pro-Bowl.

Same thing for Andrew Luck. Pro Bowl QB behind a terrible O-line for the majority of his years there.

For nearly all of Brady’s career, his stats against pressure were higher than in a clean pocket.

Again - Bad O lines don’t make bad QB’s.

Bad QB’s do.

Stop making excuses for Darnold sucking.

Mic dropped.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, daquix said:

Case in point - The Texans O-line has been the worst line in the league for 3 years. That’s why they gave up a TON to get Tunsil.

Despite having a terrible O-Line, Watson has been a Pro-Bowl QB.

Same thing for Andrew Luck. Pro Bowl QB behind a terrible O-line for the majority of his years there.

Same thing for Russel Wilson. Terrible O-line nearly every year. Russ don’t care. Pro Bowl after Pro Bowl.

For nearly all of Brady’s career, his stats against pressure were higher than in a clean pocket.

Bad QB’s do.

Yep let’s ignore the fact that Darnold won afc player of the week the pevious week and was one of the highest ranked passers vs blitz before Monday. Just facts

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, daquix said:

Despite having a terrible O-Line, Watson has been a Pro-Bowl QB.

Same thing for Russel Wilson. Terrible O-line nearly every year. Russ don’t care.

Bad QB’s do.

You act like he's played a bunch of terrible games this year. He's played a total of 3 games. 1 when he was ill with mono, 1 great game against a good Dallas team, and 1 terrible game against the best team in the league. Last year he played very well after he came back from injury. He's played a TOTAL of 16 games so far in his career, lol. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Yep let’s ignore the fact that Darnold won afc player of the week the pevious week and was one of the highest ranked passers vs blitz before Monday. Just facts

I fondly remember Dee Milliner winning one of those.

• Thumb Down 1

Do we know he had Mono in the Bills game?

Or is this pure speculation?

He looked fine in that game...

PS, Brad was winning a Super Bowl in around his 16th game lol

He was diagnosed with mono the next day and I read he had a 104 temp during game, so yeah he had it during game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, daquix said:

You mean the game where he scored 21 points in the first half and then did literally nothing in the 2nd half when the Cowboys made adjustments and it nearly cost them the game when the Cowboys came back?

That game?

Yea did nothing expect throw for 140 yards and make 3 of his best plays of the game to seal the win.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, RSJ said:

Yep... remember the Monday night game against Atlanta.... or the miami game when geno had a perfect qb rating....

Im convinced half the Darnold apologists on this board just started following the jets  

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Yes, Darnold had a bad game but he’s only 22, has played 16 games, has an awful Oline, a HC with a losing record, average WRs and no TEs. Even the all pro RB who would of been a HOFer is currently struggling. 

The same people who were claiming he was headed to the HOF last week are now wanting him cut. Get a ****ing grip already FFS. 

If Sam's play was poor Monday, a lot of the comments here this week have been as well.

Hoping we see our qb on Sunday.

7 minutes ago, Jet hustle said:

Yep... remember the Monday night game against Atlanta.... or the miami game when geno had a perfect qb rating....

Im convinced half the Darnold apologists on this board just started following the jets  

I've been watching the Jets for 50 years and I am not a Darnold apologist. There is nothing to apologize for. People need to have a little perspective. He had a bad game, so what. He has shown in his brief career he has the talent to be a good one. He's 22, played a whole 16 games in his career. People need to chill. 

1 hour ago, daquix said:

You mean the game where he scored 21 points in the first half and then did literally nothing in the 2nd half when the Cowboys made adjustments and it nearly cost them the game when the Cowboys came back?

That game?

Really?  You are going to call the winover the cowboys somehow a “bad game” forDarnold?

1 hour ago, RevisIsland610 said:

You act like he's played a bunch of terrible games this year. He's played a total of 3 games. 1 when he was ill with mono, 1 great game against a good Dallas team, and 1 terrible game against the best team in the league. Last year he played very well after he came back from injury. He's played a TOTAL of 16 games so far in his career, lol. 

Meanwhile Baker Mayfield has looked like asscrack for 6 games this year with a much better team and his worshippers on this board are busy manufacturing new excuses for him

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, daquix said:

I made a thread about it.

He had a great HALF.

One half.

Once Dallas made adjustments, he scored 3 points the rest of the game.

So when the spurs beat the Knicks tonight after the Knicks led with 8 minutes left in the game do the spurs only get credit for a good 8 minutes?

18 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Meanwhile Baker Mayfield has looked like asscrack for 6 games this year with a much better team and his worshippers on this board are busy manufacturing new excuses for him

Ahh the classic Darnold has a bad game, rail on Mayfield when Sam plays poorly (or when he plays really well, lol) ploy. Isn't it funny how last Monday morning the Baker threads were bumped by all the Darnold apologists when Sam had a good game, yet neither @Villain The Foe or I posted in them this week?

I'm a Mayfield guy and I'm not making any excuses for his bad play. Villain hasn't either. It is what it is. We've both said Mayfield hasn't played well this year.

It's okay, don't be afraid. You can say Sam had a bad game, you can be critical at times and still be a supporter of him. Believe it or not, we're all Jets fans here. That's not something someone is going to fake in order to impress anyone, that's for sure. We all want Sam to do well, it doesn't make any of us happy when he's bad. Some of us can just admit when he is. Others can't.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Really? 

Myself and @Villain The Foe are the two biggest Mayfield fans here. I haven't made one excuse for his play this year, and neither has villain, so please, do me a favor. Tell me about the excuses these other Mayfield "worshippers" to use your term, "are busy manufacturing for him".

I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Ahh the classic Darnold has a bad game, rail on Mayfield when Sam plays poorly (or when he plays really well, lol) ploy. Isn't it funny how last Monday morning the Baker threads were bumped by all the Darnold apologists when Sam had a good game, yet neither @Villain The Foe or I posted in them this week?

I'm a Mayfield guy and I'm not making any excuses for his bad play. Villain hasn't either. It is what it is. We've both said Mayfield hasn't played well this year.

It's okay, don't be afraid. You can say Sam had a bad game, you can be critical at times and still be a supporter of him. Believe it or not, we're all Jets fans here. That's not something someone is going to fake in order to impress anyone, that's for sure. We all want Sam to do well, it doesn't make any of us happy when he's bad. Some of us can just admit when he is. Others can't.

5 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Really? 

Myself and @Villain The Foe are the two biggest Mayfield fans here. I haven't made one excuse for his play this year, and neither has villain, so please, do me a favor. Tell me about the excuses these other Mayfield "worshippers" to use your term, "are busy manufacturing for him".

I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

Let's give the haters and Stans some credit. It took 3 days since that Sam Darnold performance for one of them to mention Baker Mayfield and his fanboys.

Notice how none of us so-called Mayfield fanboys even mentioned Baker or took the time to demonstrate what they claim we always do around here, such as talking about Mayfield in  every thread or, hilariously mind you, talking about how we make Mayfield excuses every week while using that very statement as their own excuse in a "Darnold is NOT the Problem" thread. The f'ing irony. Notice how we didnt take what would have been a lame opportunity to make a "Sam's big mouth" thread after him putting up 5 turnovers, seeing ghosts and other paranormal activity in a blowout days after talking about unstoppable offenses. It would be completely  stupid and hater-like to take that statement out of context, such as with Baker and the Daniel Jones non-story or passing around articles about not shaking hands with Seahawks players which ended up being a big story seeing how folks were caught lying...only to watch folks who were proudly circulating those false articles go silent as if they weren't just dogging him over it. 

But like clockwork, it's the guys who are ACTUALLY, going thread to thread talking Mayfield, who are ACTUALLY making the Baker Mayfield threads on the forum returning to form after 3 days of recovery.

I fully expect these dudes to hope and pray Mayfield has a worse outing than Darnold this upcoming week vs the Pats as a way to save face...when they dont even need to do that, but their hate for that man and his fans is too great. And if/when the Browns get blownout watch the Mayfield threads suddenly hit the top of the forum again to replace this weeks Sam excuse threads. I hope Mayfield does lose though, because if he has a good game and they win it'll be suicide watch on this board.

The insecurity is at all time levels. 

Maybe we should concentrate on why Sam produced one of the worst performances in NFL history, being Jets fans and all. No one should be indirectly mentioning me or anyone who likes Bake after WTF we just witnessed. 

Maybe they should consider shutting their own "big mouth", and continuing their road to recovery like the rest of us have been doing over the past 3 days. That's better than mentioning Mayfield in every thread or making a half dozen Baker Mayfield threads...as if this was a Browns board or something. 

Here is the problem: it needs to be someone’s problem. Jets fans have worked themselves into a circular argument that it’s not Gase’s fault that he has bad talent and it’s not the players’ fault that they have bad coaching.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Darnold was AFC Offensive Player of the week a week before this awful game.  He played poorly but Gase and the Johnsons deserve blame for getting us into this situation.  

Darnold needed a coach who could help him improve.  The Johnsons believing Gase could be that guy is laughable.  

Well, wasn't Gase the coach when Darnold won AFC Offensive Player Of The Week a week before his awful game? 

I think @jgb makes a great point below regarding circular arguments.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Here is the problem: it needs to be someone’s problem. Jets fans have worked themselves into a circular argument that it’s not Gase’s fault that he has bad talent and it’s not the players’ fault that they have bad coaching.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Not true see post above

Ok....we know the protection schemes have been god awful this year....i don’t remember seeing this many free rushers and protection errors from a Jet team ever....even from previous terrible OLs.....You can’t put it all on Sam but he has to get some of the blame for Monday night. Like I said to Who fans....there are outcomes when you’re flustered that don’t include chucking the ball into the #1 defense. The other alarming part is how many of these picks came in or near the red zone. Just can’t happen...

6 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Mayfield is having worse year than Sam with a way better supporting cast and better head coach

Change my mind.