Copernicus

Are the JETS Buyers or Sellers?

Are the JETS Buyers or Sellers?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the Jets (not your personal) approach is to the trade deadline? Do they look at the schedule and believe they can go on a run and possibly get into the playoff picture or does Joe Douglas blow up the team and focus on obtaining draft picks for next years draft?

What do you think the Jets (not your personal) approach is to the trade deadline? Do they look at the schedule and believe they can go on a run and possibly get into the playoff picture or does Joe Douglas blow up the team and focus on obtaining draft picks for next years draft? Explain 

Neither... They are going to trade if it's worth it and improves the team for this year and beyond

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

GMs--especially new GMs--tend to overestimate their player-picking ability and thus overvalue draft picks. It just feels like Patriots trade away more draft picks for players than anyone (I don't have stats to back this up, just feels that way).

If I had to guess, I'd say Jets will be sellers. Then it's up to JD to deliver on those picks.

• Upvote 1

Buyers for OL - Sellers for DL

Sellers if they can get a player and/or pick to help Sam

Big Sellers if they think they can get a QB they love next year,  not saying they should give up on Sam (I think he will be very good) but I am not sure they can be competitive before they have to pay Sam big $$$ so tearing it down for a complete rebuild is sadly an option   

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This isn't baseball...

NFL doesn't really work that way.  

With that said - if anything, sellers.

I would agree with this sentiment however, especially most recently, we've seen big named players traded to teams who believe they are in the mix for the playoffs. 

gase has a history from miami of liking or not liking certain players and getting rid of guys he does not like.

The jets should be big sellers if they can.  We need draft capital.

26 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This isn't baseball...

NFL doesn't really work that way.  

With that said - if anything, sellers.

I always laugh around this time, what maybe 5 trades will happen?  lol

34 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Neither... They are going to trade if it's worth it and improves the team for this year and beyond

Exactly.....see what may be available. Going in with a plan is good, but if it's not workable, be smart enough to change it. Exactly like a weekly game plan.....sometimes you realize you have to improvise.

If they're being offered assets for expendable players I think you're clearly sellers at this point, but I don't think I'd go as far as to have a fire sale for the sake of it (particularly on the offensive side of the ball.)

Like, if a contender thinks Leonard Williams is worth anything I think it makes sense to move him. The FO probably knows if they're going to resign him next year, and if they aren't it makes sense to move him. I wouldn't move Robby but if they've already made the decision that they aren't keeping him it makes sense to move on there as well.

• Upvote 1

There has been like 15 trades since the season began, and we could see another 5 or more before the deadline. This ain't your daddy's NFL.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, isired said:

There has been like 15 trades since the season began, and we could see another 5 or more before the deadline. This ain't your daddy's NFL.

Ok, still not the same.  Like, at all. 

1 hour ago, jgb said:

GMs--especially new GMs--tend to overestimate their player-picking ability and thus overvalue draft picks. It just feels like Patriots trade away more draft picks for players than anyone (I don't have stats to back this up, just feels that way).

If I had to guess, I'd say Jets will be sellers. Then it's up to JD to deliver on those picks.

This is a good point, but I think there is more to it.  I don't think that it is overestimating draft evaluation.  I think bringing in a bunch of draft picks is an easy and quick way to change the culture and bring in "your guys."  Moving guys that don't fit or won't take the deal you offer is often good for keeping them from infecting the rest of the roster.  

34 minutes ago, JiF said:

This used to be true, but more and more guys are getting moved.  Jalen Ramsey, Sanu, Sanders, Quadree Diggs, Marcus Peters, @Raideraholic's pro bowl CB Gareon Conley were all moved in the last week.  There may have been a few others.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is a good point, but I think there is more to it.  I don't think that it is overestimating draft evaluation.  I think bringing in a bunch of draft picks is an easy and quick way to change the culture and bring in "your guys."  Moving guys that don't fit or won't take the deal you offer is often good for keeping them from infecting the rest of the roster.  

This used to be true, but more and more guys are getting moved.  Jalen Ramsey, Sanu, Sanders, Quadree Diggs, Marcus Peters, @Raideraholic's pro bowl CB Gareon Conley were all moved in the last week.  There may have been a few others.

Yes agree but I you need to think highly of your picking ability if you think you'll hit on more "your guys" than stiffs.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Yes agree but I you need to think highly of your picking ability if you think you'll hit on more "your guys" than stiffs.

Agreed, but I wouldn't want to have a GM that didn't absolutely have that kind of confidence.

• Upvote 1

If you had a coupon for $100 off a new gadget and that coupon expired in a week, and you weren't planning to buy that gadget, would you keep the coupon or try to sell it?

That's kind of the situation we have with a few guys, notably Leo Williams and Robby Anderson.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

True, but it isn't just "hit vs. stiff"  Even a guy like the boar hunter probably served some purpose in camp.  Cut a draft pick for an UDFA and you are rewarding performance.  Cut a guy like Kalil for the same reason and the press and public usually thinks you are cheap or have some other motive. 

Roster purges are best completed early.  The sooner the better.  If you can get anything back, so much the better. 

Interesting topic. Attached are the NFL trades to date since Sep 1... and here are another 40+ players that are possible trade candidates before the deadline:
Vic Beasley
Leonard Williams
Tyler Eifert
Halapoulivaati Vaitai
A.J. Green
Trent Williams
Case Keenum
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Melvin Gordon
Kenyan Drake
Devonta Freeman
Robby Anderson
Nelson Agholor
DeVante Parker
OJ Howard
Austin Hooper
Brandon Scherf
Billy Price
Kelechi Osemele
Yannick Ngakoue
Carlos Dunlop
Shaq Barrett
Michael Bennett
Solomon Thomas
Terrel Suggs
Bud Dupree
Geno Atkins
Ndamukong Suh
Derek Wolfe
Alec Ogletree
Preston Brown
Patrick Peterson
Xavien Howard
Chris Howard
Desmond Trufant
William Jackson
Logan Ryan
Josh Norman
Janoris Jenkins
Trumaine Johnson
Rasul Douglas
Sidney Jones
Artie Burns
Reshad Jones

a2b09563d06ad08b4408ed72a8c21ffc.jpg

It all depends on this weeks game.  If they beat jax, I believe they will think they can go on a run and will not make any trades.

If they lose this week, they will trade expendable defensive players like Leo. 

No offensive players will be traded no matter what happens.  And no matter what they will not be buyers of any kind.  They either sit pat if they win this week or sell off on defense if they lose.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

It all depends on this weeks game.  If they beat jax, I believe they will think they can go on a run and will not make any trades.

If they lose this week, they will trade expendable defensive players like Leo. 

No offensive players will be traded no matter what happens.  And no matter what they will not be buyers of any kind.  They either sit pat if they win this week or sell off on defense if they lose.

You may very well be right, but this is absolutely the wrong way to approach the future of the organization. If Douglass has a long term plan, which I'm sure he does, one game can't/shouldn't alter it.

19 minutes ago, section314 said:

Agreed, but I wouldn't want to have a GM that didn't absolutely have that kind of confidence.

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

True, but it isn't just "hit vs. stiff"  Even a guy like the boar hunter probably served some purpose in camp.  Cut a draft pick for an UDFA and you are rewarding performance.  Cut a guy like Kalil for the same reason and the press and public usually thinks you are cheap or have some other motive. 

Roster purges are best completed early.  The sooner the better.  If you can get anything back, so much the better. 

Like most things in life the best course is likely one of balance. Confidence is good, but also recognize that picks are in a way lottery tickets and trading one for a known commodity can be just as rewarding as using it in the draft on a relative unknown.

• Upvote 1

After last game, the whole should be thrown in the celler and chained up by the boiler.  Just throw some raw meat down there every so often, Then go out and kidnap 53 players for your new family

(well it is almost Halloween)

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Like most things in life the best course is likely one of balance. Confidence is good, but also recognize that picks are in a way lottery tickets and trading one for a known commodity can be just as rewarding as using it in the draft on a relative unknown.

Well said. One thing I really hope Douglass learned from Ozzie and Roseman is to use all the resources in the room, and not be Macc and run the draft like a one man show.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Well said. One thing I really hope Douglass learned from Ozzie and Roseman is to use all the resources in the room, and not be Macc and run the draft like a one man show.

My concern about any new GM is that they become risk-averse once they have final say on which name goes on that card. It's relatively easy to be a contrarian, or pound the table for a guy, when you're advising the guy who has final say. 

I actually think this is what happened to Macc. He drafted scared like he was afraid to make a mistake in the first round. So he just went for the "safest" picks. 

1 minute ago, jgb said:

My concern about any new GM is that they become risk-averse once they have final say on which name goes on that card. It's relatively easy to be a contrarian, or advocate taking a risk on the player, when you're advising the guy who has final say. 

I actually think this is what happened to Macc. He drafted scared like he was afraid to make a mistake in the first round. So he just went for the "safest" picks. 

All fair points, and I don't disagree. That said, I think lots of it comes with how you were trained to evaluate the value of players, positions and overall vision of the team, all things Macc was sorely lacking. That's why, as good as Q may be, he was the wrong pick for us. Try to trade back, and if you couldn't, you had either Josh Allen Brian Burns, or Montez Sweat starring you in the face. It wasn't like Q or bust. Only time will tell as we see Douglass in action.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, section314 said:

You may very well be right, but this is absolutely the wrong way to approach the future of the organization. If Douglass has a long term plan, which I'm sure he does, one game can't/shouldn't alter it.

Of course.  Do you expect this franchise to ever do the right thing?

We just let the gm do a full draft and then fired him.  Are you kidding me?

• Upvote 1

I agree that the the Jax game result will be very relevant as to what the Jets do.  I think the variable is really just Robby.

It should not, but it will.  A blow out against Jax will trigger Douglas to take the wheel more firmly and start working for next year.  Robby goes.  

If the game is close or the Jets win, Gase will still be allowed to work with what he has, and Robby stays. 

I think they try and deal Leo regardless-he is not better than Foley.   But Quinnen’s injuries are not helping.  

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Of course.  Do you expect this franchise to ever do the right thing?

We just let the gm do a full draft and then fired him.  Are you kidding me?

Honest answer.......not as long as the Johnson's own the team.

We should be sellers but not if teams are offering crap. Anyone trying to trade for Leo or Robbie would do so with playoffs & possible Super Bowl on their mind. Make it a bit painful in the asking price. 

Any #2 pick is close to a #3 probably based on their record unless they fall apart. JD traded with our hated rivals & was taken to the cleaners by Belichick with DT, just another wasted pick!