Dcat

Robby Anderson Poll

Robby Anderson Poll  

121 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Scenario: I'd really like to know the pulse of the whole JN board.  Not just us loudmouths.  Please vote.   For the purposes of the poll, lets assume a 3rd round pick from a team in need who needs to win now (mid to lower 3rd).   If that's the offer, do you pull the trigger next week (making week 8 Robby's last game as a Jet)?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/30/2019 at 05:00 AM

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1. If that 2nd rounder is an OL, chances are it’ll be much more valuable than Robby. And there are lots of talented WR in this draft.

2. Offensive Line. Last I checked we need at least 3 new ones.

How many quality offensive linemen did we sign this offseason in FA?  How many were available?

It's a nice thought - but good OL simply don't hit the market.

btw...I do think we should use EVERY draft pick we have to take OL (and I'm not exaggerating) if we have 7 picks in 7 rounds...draft 7 OL'men

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

There are extreme sentiments on both sides here.  I am on the sign Robby side, FWIW.  I have never started a poll before so sorry if I am getting it wrong. We've heard from all the people who have extreme views either way on this.  Lets get a blind poll going.  I'd really like to know the pulse of the whole JN board.  Not just us loudmouths.  Please vote.  

For the purposes of the poll, lets assume a 3rd round pick from a team in need who needs to win now (mid to lower 3rd).  

If that's the offer, do you pull the trigger next week (making week 8 Robby's last game as a Jet).

I voted no. 

The Jets pride themselves on draft picks and cap space every season,  yet they never draft well and spend cap space on guys like Trumaine Johnson more often than getting a guy who can really contribute. 

Robby Anderson is a solid player who isnt a #1 but must be that here because of how incredibly deprived the Jets are at talent. Why trade away what little talent you have left for a 3rd round pick when it's talent we need? 

#1. You keep the talent you already have. 

#2. Use the draft picks you do have in an effort to draft more talent in order to add to the talent you already have.

Robby Anderson isnt the Jets problem, the Jets problem was signing an injury prone Enunwa to a contract extension and thinking your problem was solved at receiver. Well, anyone with a clue could have told the Jets that this wasnt the case, and just because you bring in Crowder doesnt change anything. 

Robby Anderson isnt the Jets problem, the Jets problem was drafting defense for a decade, then drafting a QB because your offense stinks and then thinking that everything is fine because you drafted a QB while giving away your competent QB for the same 3rd round pick last year that we're talking about with Robby Anderson this year. Well, The Saints have won that trade thoroughly, while the Jets claim that you cant have a guy like Bridgewater when you draft an uproven QB, but somehow you can have a Bridgewater when you have a top 3 all time QB in terms of individual talent. 

Robby Anderson isnt the Jets problem, the Jets problem was not drafting at the Oline in the 1st round since 06 or in the 2nd round since 2010, then watching as they draft yet another defensive tackle to the point that they start using DT's that they drafted a couple years back as OLB's because they dont have enough room given all of the DT/DL's they've drafted year after year after year. 

You dont trade Robby Anderson, because trading competent players for draft picks have not produced any competent results. The only thing that it has done is caused Jets fans to argue over why it's a smart move or not.

The Jets need to show that they can draft competent players with their existing draft picks before we start vouching for trading competent players for picks the Jets have done nothing but flush down the toilet bowl over the past 15 years.

Here's side reason why I feel like anyone would support this. Drafting new players proves Jets fans with that 3 year rule on judging players. You see, when you bring it a bunch of scrub Vets like Trumaine Johnson, the backlash is immediate because he's a vet. However, if you have a rookie then you can explain the bullsh*ttery away in your mind, the way we always do. Getting draft picks and bringing in young players during the offseason helps to provide us fans with the excuse of the complete dysfunctional buffoonery we get during the season. It allows us to say "They're young, give it time". There's literally a poster on here that made a new thread either today or yesterday talking about how he's been a Jets fan for 60 years, and it's been the same nonsense. 

So how much time do they need and how many 3rd round picks away are they, honestly?

• Post of the Week 2

You gotta sign Robby. But I think with no one to have to use the Franchise Tag on, ( assuming they trade Leonard Williams) they would probably slap the Transition Tag Robby.   If Sanu got a 2nd Rd pick  Robby is worth a 2nd Rd as well.

I mean Sanu has been in the league since 2012 his stats in 8 1/2 seasons:

110 games 377 catches 
4,300 yards 
 ypc 
25 TD's 

Robby's Stats in 3 1/2

52 games 172 catches  2546 yards 14.8 ypc 16 TD's

Similar catches per game.  More avg yds per game, more avg yds per catch and more avg TD's per game and Robby is younger

I rather not trade him but if the Jets are gonna trade him it has to be for nothing less than a 2nd rounder

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I am a loud mouth but I voted anyways.

I actually voted no.  The problem is knowing what he can be resigned for.  That is the issue for me.  If his new contract is reasonable it is better to keep a deep threat wr even if that is his main attribute.   We could every well just use that pick to draft the next ardaruius stewart.

this is a very good point and unfortunately, it kind of ruins the poll.  

I know Joe Douglas is new and all, but let's not forget, this is the New York Jets we are talking about.  So if it is not Ardarius Stewart, it will be Chad Henson instead. 

38 minutes ago, lounap23 said:

You gotta sign Robby. But I think with no one to have to use the Franchise Tag on, ( assuming they trade Leonard Williams) they would probably slap the Transition Tag Robby.   If Sanu got a 2nd Rd pick  Robby is worth a 2nd Rd as well.

I mean Sanu has been in the league since 2012 his stats in 8 1/2 seasons:

110 games 377 catches 
4,300 yards 
 ypc 
25 TD's 

Robby's Stats in 3 1/2

52 games 172 catches  2546 yards 14.8 ypc 16 TD's

Similar catches per game.  More avg yds per game, more avg yds per catch and more avg TD's per game and Robby is younger

I rather not trade him but if the Jets are gonna trade him it has to be for nothing less than a 2nd rounder

simple logic will earn ytou the wrath of the anti-Robby crowd 

no one who defend him makes him out to be MORE than he is. which is a solid WR contributor who makes every roster in the NFL w/o blinking.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

dysfunctional buffoonery

phrase of the day!

• Haha 1

whenever Robby does good i think ima say

"here's nut in yer eye!"

A talented 26 yo receiver on a team that is trying to get better...Can’t we build with him? Trade for what, another failed draft pick? Trade Khalil... 

• Upvote 1

I say no. 

A) RA has had some sensational moments with the Jets. 
I know Robbie can ball. 

B) 3rd round draft pick that’s a crap shoot. How’s the Jets history on DP’s?

The old saying, “ a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush”, applies here.

• Like 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Voted no, with the caveat that he is signed for reasonable money. He is a FU but he is a great #2/weak#1.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

I say no. 

A) RA has had some sensational moments with the Jets. 
I know Robbie can ball. 

B) 3rd round draft pick that’s a crap shoot. How’s the Jets history on DP’s?

The old saying, “ a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush”, applies here.

The Jets history of draft picks has been terrible due to terrible GMs. Draft picks are valuable and important for good GMs. We can only hope that Douglas is a good GM but if not, none of this matters. We should at least approach rebuilding this team as if we have a good GM. 

Extend him now or trade.  

teams will know we are not getting a comp pick.  So if he walks at the end of the year the Jets get nothing but pay him. 

you can argue to keep him for the future.  But if we can’t, we need to get something.  We are not making the playoffs in 2019. 

So if my math is correct, Robby has played in 15 of Sam's 16 starts (he missed wk 8 vs chi last season). His stats for those games:

105 tgts
53 rec (50%)
840 yds
7 TDs
15.8 yds/rec

An uneven statline, but what you would expect from a #2 reciever. His tasty ratio is pretty bad though and last week's performance didn't help.

I still think a 2nd rounder for a half season rental will be too steep, but all it takes is one team to blink. Personally I'd take a high 3+5 because I think we can find an adequate replacement in FA. If we can't get a decent trade package, transition tag him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

The Jets history of draft picks has been terrible due to terrible GMs. Draft picks are valuable and important for good GMs. We can only hope that Douglas is a good GM but if not, none of this matters. We should at least approach rebuilding this team as if we have a good GM. 

I agree with that philosophy, but that in no way means trade Robby.  Apples and oranges.  Anyway, I think a good GM would choose to KEEP Robby over a 3rd round pick, all of which have less, probably way less of a 50% chance of panning out.  IMO, Robby stays and they should be talking to his agent now about a new contract.  

88 votes so far.  44 say make the trade and 44 say Keep Robby.

Robby is indeed polarizing.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I agree with that philosophy, but that in no way means trade Robby.  Apples and oranges.  Anyway, I think a good GM would choose to KEEP Robby over a 3rd round pick, all of which have less, probably way less of a 50% chance of panning out.  IMO, Robby stays and they should be talking to his agent now about a new contract.  

Yeah. Those are 2 separate things. I was explaining that we can’t have that defeatist attitude with draft picks. We have a new GM. 

Robby has value to this team because we have no offensive talent. He may be a casualty of scheme fit though. I’m not against trading him for a 3rd but we have to sign him if we don’t trade him. Can’t just keep him for half a year and let him leave for nothing. No way he signs here for a fair deal which is why I think trading him is likely. It will be interesting to see what happens. 

I voted yes because the contract he's going to command. He's not build of the stuff AJ Green is (for example) and we have some serious needs elsehwere. 

Is Anderson an NFL talent? Yes... but he's not made of rare air. 

• Upvote 1

This board and Jets fans in general are often so jaded and negatively biased to anything Jets, sometimes I find it interesting to see what fans of other teams think... 

If you read through recent responses to Robby's Twitter, its filled with fans of other teams screaming for him to be traded to their team. Fans are supposed to be overrating their own players. We have to be the only fan base that routinely hate our own players. 

This team has neglected the WR position for decades. When was the last time we drafted a productive WR? Coles? Moss? We luck out with an UDFA who is, maybe not a stud WR1, but very talented and so many Jets fans cant wait to ship him off for a bag of peanuts. I dont get it. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Yeah. Those are 2 separate things. I was explaining that we can’t have that defeatist attitude with draft picks. We have a new GM. 

Robby has value to this team because we have no offensive talent. He may be a casualty of scheme fit though. I’m not against trading him for a 3rd but we have to sign him if we don’t trade him. Can’t just keep him for half a year and let him leave for nothing. No way he signs here for a fair deal which is why I think trading him is likely. It will be interesting to see what happens. 

"Casualty of scheme fit"?  Every NFL team needs a credible deep threat.  That is part of every offensive scheme.  If Gase's offensive plan is to NOT have a burner deep threat, then Gase is insane and won't last long.

Why do you say no way he signs here for a fair deal?  Jets have treated Robby like gold. 

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I voted yes because the contract he's going to command. He's not build of the stuff AJ Green is (for example) and we have some serious needs elsehwere. 

Is Anderson an NFL talent? Yes... but he's not made of rare air. 

What contract are you assuming he will demand?  Comp him to some of the recent signings in the last 12-24 months that are close to equivalent in talent. 

9 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

This board and Jets fans in general are often so jaded and negatively biased to anything Jets, sometimes I find it interesting to see what fans of other teams think... 

If you read through recent responses to Robby's Twitter, its filled with fans of other teams screaming for him to be traded to their team. Fans are supposed to be overeating their own players. We have to be the only fan base that routinely hate our own players. 

This team has neglected the WR position for decades. When was the last time we drafted a productive WR? Coles? Moss? We luck out with an UDFA who is, maybe not a stud WR1, but very talented and so many Jets fans cant wait to ship him off for a bag of peanuts. I dont get it. 

Neither do I.  People are nuts if they think the 3rd round pick is a lock to be the equivalent of Robby. 

• Upvote 1

I’d begrudgingly take the 3rd.

I like his deep play ability, but he only has that one skill. And his tendency to give up on routes has persisted. That’s a pretty big issue. 

Also have to wonder if there’s a chance that he does something stupid off the field. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

What contract are you assuming he will demand?  Comp him to some of the recent signings in the last 12-24 months that are close to equivalent in talent. 

Good question. Anderson is better than your average FA WR, but not enough to lock up with robust "top WR" money... 

The last 2 years; T. Williams and Sammy Watkins (44-48mill, 13-15/yr, 30 GTD) is kind of where he would be if he left via FA next spring. Our QB play has been uber-inconsistent and he's flashed enough that some team desperate for that lid lifting WR (ie.NYG) will bite. And honestly, if i'm Robby, i'm going for top dollar. There's a good chance this is only "big pay day". 

I'm not "happy" about Robby being traded, but it's a move i would entertain as a GM too. I wouldn't give him away, but i'm not sure i want that cheddar at him with so many Oline concerns and secondary problems. 

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

This. 

WR contracts are overinflated right now, just like seemingly every other position but I dont understand what outrageous, top WR contract people seem to think he is going to command. He has shown flashes but thanks in large part to being on a talentless offense with bad to mediocre QB's, he has never been able to really "break out". His entire career is literally based on that one year with Fitz, and he didn't even crack 1000yrds. I think a lot of us assume he is going to demand high end WR1 money but remember he is only a WR1 on this team by default. ideally Robby is a terrific #2 across from a more complete route running/possession reciever.  

Do we think Robby is going to get even the contract that the Jets (overpaid) Enunwa? 

44 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

This. 

WR contracts are overinflated right now, just like seemingly every other position but I dont understand what outrageous, top WR contract people seem to think he is going to command. He has shown flashes but thanks in large part to being on a talentless offense with bad to mediocre QB's, he has never been able to really "break out". His entire career is literally based on that one year with Fitz, and he didn't even crack 1000yrds. I think a lot of us assume he is going to demand high end WR1 money but remember he is only a WR1 on this team by default. ideally Robby is a terrific #2 across from a more complete route running/possession reciever.  

Do we think Robby is going to get even the contract that the Jets (overpaid) Enunwa? 

In hindsight don’t trade him, Enunwa is done, on IR twice in convective seasons with a neck injury he’s not coming back. We’d need to get two receivers next year?

Lev Bell is wasted here, he could be the one out?

9 hours ago, Dcat said:

"Casualty of scheme fit"?  Every NFL team needs a credible deep threat.  That is part of every offensive scheme.  If Gase's offensive plan is to NOT have a burner deep threat, then Gase is insane and won't last long.

Why do you say no way he signs here for a fair deal?  Jets have treated Robby like gold. 

I’ve read a few times that Robby isn’t the type of receiver that fits well in Gase’s scheme. Every scheme needs a WR that can go deep but they need to be good at the other routes too which is probably why he’s not the ideal fit for Gase.

As far as fair deal, RA will probably get $12-$15mil per on the open market and I don’t think he is worth that. I’d be fine with $8-$10 and much of the reason why he hasn’t had better receiving numbers is due to this toxic offensive environment.

He’d be a fool to stay here and you are being delusional if you think loyalty matters at all in the NFL anymore. The Jets treating him well doesn’t mean much anymore. Especially when they are holding him back and hurting his ability to earn a bigger contract. Open market makes the most sense unless the Jets pay a lot and I just don’t think it’ll happen because of the 2 reasons that I stated. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

Good question. Anderson is better than your average FA WR, but not enough to lock up with robust "top WR" money... 

The last 2 years; T. Williams and Sammy Watkins (44-48mill, 13-15/yr, 30 GTD) is kind of where he would be if he left via FA next spring. Our QB play has been uber-inconsistent and he's flashed enough that some team desperate for that lid lifting WR (ie.NYG) will bite. And honestly, if i'm Robby, i'm going for top dollar. There's a good chance this is only "big pay day". 

I'm not "happy" about Robby being traded, but it's a move i would entertain as a GM too. I wouldn't give him away, but i'm not sure i want that cheddar at him with so many Oline concerns and secondary problems. 

Agreed.   Robby can be useful in a well rounded WR group, BUT I don’t think he has any intention on staying with the Jets.  I’m sure Douglas has had at least had a casual passing conversation with Robby’s agent regarding what they may be looking for.   He’s going to want to become an UFA, what payer wouldn’t in his situation.  The mistake was signing Enunwa, that money could have locked up Robby and we aren’t having this discussion.  

• Upvote 1

Yes.  It's clear he's not part of the future.  If he was, he would have a contract.  So that means, he's going to walk or you're going to have to pay, which both options suck.  Take the 3rd rounder in a deep WR class and get someone in on a rookie contract for the next 4 years. 

I'm fearful that we've seen all we're going to see from Robbie. I don't think giving him a big contract is going to turn him into a number one WR. He's good for a few Splash plays every few games, but by no means has he ever been dominant. I say give him a lowball offer to keep him around for a few years and if he puts up a fuss, take anything more than a 3rd we can get from any team who's willing to give him a bigger contract on his potential..

Doesn’t matter 

been a fan since 82.   

The Jets have rewarded my devotion with 3 division titles and what 2 home playoff games?  

7 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

In hindsight don’t trade him, Enunwa is done, on IR twice in convective seasons with a neck injury he’s not coming back. We’d need to get two receivers next year?

Lev Bell is wasted here, he could be the one out?

Its really sad when you say it this way, but its 100% right. I've had Hope for Q every year, but he's done. He can't even make it through training camp. If he does (meaning he sat all camp and is ready for week 1) he won't see week 2. 

Time team needs starters EVERYWHERE. Dont go creating more holes that arent already there. We really want to go into the offseason needing 2 starting WRs? Have we forgotten Greg Salas?

Being against trading Robby or anyone else b/c of the Jets bad track record of drafting is not logical (says Mr. Spock). This is a new GM, so maybe he'll turn those picks into good players. 

And if he is yet another bad GM, then it doesn't matter whether they trade or keep Robby.  The Jets will continue to suck either way.  So, roll the dice on him being a good drafter, and acquire MORE DRAFT PICKS!

Hey, if you want to keep Robby, then extend him right now for a reasonable amount. If he wants to test the market, then trade him for a pick at least!

• Upvote 1

Giving away Robby for a #3 is not worth the risk of impeding Darnold's progress.  A 2nd, I would do it in a heart beat but It's really on Gase to make the combo work, and so far he's failed miserably.