Give Gase a Chance

30 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'm not out on Gase yet, because I think he has been dealt a historically bad hand in terms of injury luck and bizarre circumstances, but I have seen absolutely nothing to make me think that he is the right guy. 

Cleveland
at New England
at Philadelphia

3 games.  3 with a third-string quarterback.  2 against the last two Super Bowl winners on the road.  0-3 completely predictable.

Buffalo
Dallas
New England

3 games.  2 against playoff-caliber teams, 2 with the starting quarterback healthy, 1 with the starting quarterback stricken with disease, 1 against the best defense in the NFL in the last 30 years.  1-2 record a positive achievement.

Gase has a record no different than any other NFL head coach would have been with this team and in the same predicament.  What are you complaining about?

SAR I

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I love how nobody ever can answer this question.  Gase closed. Open and shut Gase.

Bills
Browns
at New England
at Philadelphia
Dallas
New England

Save me the trouble of looking it up, what was your prediction of the Jets record facing that stretch of games.  You know, back in August, back when our go-by was preseason. 

I'm going to venture a guess that you, like almost everyone else, had the Jets at 7-9 and had the Jets at 2-4 in that opening stretch at the very best, most would have seen 1-5.  You know, split the first two winnable games, then lose two to Belichick, lose to Wentz, and lose to Zeke.

We are, at worst, one measly game off the pace you geniuses had us on back in August and that's with a crippled quarterback, that's with no backup, quarterback, that's with a third-stringer who should be bagging groceries, and that's with some critical defensive injuries too.

So what are you complaining about?

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Bills
Browns
at New England
at Philadelphia
Dallas
New England

Save me the trouble of looking it up, what was your prediction of the Jets record facing that stretch of games.  You know, back in August, back when our go-by was preseason. 

I'm going to venture a guess that you, like almost everyone else, had the Jets at 7-9 and had the Jets at 2-4 in that opening stretch at the very best, most would have seen 1-5.  You know, split the first two winnable games, then lose two to Belichick, lose to Wentz, and lose to Zeke.

We are, at worst, one measly game off the pace you geniuses had us on back in August and that's with a crippled quarterback, that's with no backup, quarterback, that's with a third-stringer who should be bagging groceries, and that's with some critical defensive injuries too.

So what are you complaining about?

SAR I

I think the complaint is this....

Even if your are expecting a loss in those games, you atleast expect to play competitive football.  Maybe even sneak out a win or 2. 

But the jets have been flat out embarrassing. Especially on offense, which is supposed to be Gases specialty. We are last or 2nd to last in almost every offensive category. And we have been blown out in half of our games. It's not just that were losing, it's how were losing.

I think your in for a rude awakening when we play the "easy part" of the schedule and we keep losing. What's the excuse going to be then?

I have a question for you. Do you think Gases coaching has made anyone better from last year? Has anyone improved since he's been here? Everyone on the O-line has regressed, Robby has regressed, Leo has regressed, etc etc

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tiffany980 said:

You all embraced Gase because "Gase's record against the Patriots."

He was something like 2-4...

No, we embraced Gase because we were sick and tired of defensive rookie head coaches coming in here and sh:tting the bed.  When you find out the value of a second term head coach who has cut his teeth elsewhere is when he faces adversity, like now.

So we watch the next 7 games very closely, Jets are either on an even playing field or slightly favored against all 7 teams, and then we see where we are when it's over on December 8.  If we aren't 7-6 or 6-7 be disappointed, cry all you want.  Until then.  Shhhh.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

But the jets have been flat out embarrassing. Especially on offense, which is supposed to be Gases specialty. We are last or 2nd to last in almost every offensive category. And we have been blown out in half of our games. It's not just that were losing, it's how were losing.

Do you not realize that the moment you go down this road of "we are last in every category...." we immediately scroll down to the next post because its so stupid?

The Jets played half their games with a third string quarterback.  And one of the other remaining games with a quarterback unfit to play.  So that's 4 of 6 games without a quarterback.  And you want to call out year-to-date stats?  Give it a rest.

And of the 2 games where Gase had a healthy quarterback?  Got blown out by the best team in the league.  Shocked and upset the Cowboys who are headed to the playoffs.

Gase has played exactly 1 game this entire season where fans had a legitimate expectation that they may win.  And he won it.  So stop complaining.  The next 7 games are winnable, we should be 5-2 at the worst.  So judge him then.  Let's reconvene on December 8.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don't know how good a HC Gase is, but we haven't had a suffienct sample size to make a final determination. 

Thank you.

On what planet do fans of a 4-12 team believe they are owed a 3-3 start with a third string emergency quarterback starting half the games?  And the Cowboys and Eagles on the schedule.  And the Patriots on the schedule.  Twice. 

SAR I

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

I love how nobody ever can answer this question.  Gase closed. Open and shut Gase.

We should feel confident that we have a good head coach because after everything that happened this offseason and through a ridiculous 0-4 start, this team that historically collapses like a house of cards instead came out spitting fire and defeated a tough Cowboys team. 

That's what Gase has accomplished.  And it's actually quite impressive.  Losing to the Patriots on Monday was completely expected.  Beating the Cowboys the week before was not.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Do you not realize that the moment you go down this road of "we are last in every category...." we immediately scroll down to the next post because its so stupid?

The Jets played half their games with a third string quarterback.  And one of the other remaining games with a quarterback unfit to play.  So that's 4 of 6 games without a quarterback.  And you want to call out year-to-date stats?  Give it a rest.

And of the 2 games where Gase had a healthy quarterback?  Got blown out by the best team in the league.  Shocked and upset the Cowboys who are headed to the playoffs.

Gase has played exactly 1 game this entire season where fans had a legitimate expectation that they may win.  And he won it.  So stop complaining.  The next 7 games are winnable, we should be 5-2 at the worst.  So judge him then.  Let's reconvene on December 8.

SAR I

I'm Glad you focused on 1 sentence of my post and ignored the other 90% of it to fit your agenda. I should have expected that from you. 

Your excuse is injuries. And Injuries are a lame ass excuse. Especially when other teams are winning with backup QBs.  

• Upvote 1

It’s one thing to get beat by Belichick, it’s another to get utterly humiliated.  There is no defense for Gase last Monday and I was one for giving him a chance.  
Every week so far except our game vs the cowboys we have been utterly humiliated. Our team has not looked prepared or even focused on the games they almost look like they want to lose. Yes gase was dealt a bad hand with injuries and illnesses but the flipside to it is that your backups should be the players itching to make plays and even they look unmotivated. I have not been impressed with the gameplanning thus far it has left me scratching my head...why try to make big plays down the field over and over again when you know your offensive line will not hold while the play develops. The one thing he needed to do was make darnold better and so far with an obviously small sample size we have seen 1 decent game from darnold, the worst game of his career (hopefully), and one game where he failed to hold a lead against the bills. Just not impressed with gase.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

Gase was not even an oc in Denver

2015 oc in chicago - 21st ranked offense

2016 miami - 24th ranked offense

2017 miami - 25th ranked offense

2018 miami - 31st ranked offense

2019 ny jets - 32nd ranked offense

I mean with a stellar resume like that how could the Jets not hire this offensive genius?

Chris Johnson is a moron easily swayed by a call from peyton manning and being happy to choose guys who will tell him anything he wants to hear.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Dcat said:

Miami is currently the worst roster in the league built by Tannenbaum and a GM who, like Maccagnan, will never be a GM again. The Jets are the second worst roster in the league. Gase went from one horrible situation to another. If you want to blame Gase for something, blame him for his poor career choices

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Miami is currently the worst roster in the league built by Tannenbaum and a GM who, like Maccagnan, will never be a GM again. The Jets are the second worst roster in the league. Gase went from one horrible situation to another. If you want to blame Gase for something, blame him for his poor career choices

A truly good coach is expected to get the most out of his team, especially on  the side of the ball that is his specialty. The offense looks worse than when guys like morton and bates were running it and they had just as bad talent.

Win or look good losing.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Great point.

Todd Bowles should still be the head coach of the NY jets because he had mccagna as the gm and it was not at all his fault in regards to anything actually coaching related.

The Gas defenders have moved on from the excuse that luke falk was all to blame and have widened the net to include the ex gm.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

A truly good coach is expected to get the most out of his team, especially on  the side of the ball that is his specialty. The offense looks worse than when guys like morton and bates were running it and they had just as bad talent.

Win or look good losing.

This is true, too, imo. Even if you give Gase the benefit of the doubt, the lack of competitiveness on offense has been a red flag issue. It’s one thing to be bad, but it’s another thing to go out and play like you know you’re bad. The #1 thing a coach on a bad team can do is instill confidence in even the worst players, and Gase has not done that. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Todd Bowles should still be the head coach of the NY jets because he had mccagna as the gm and it was not at all his fault in regards to anything actually coaching related.

The Gas defenders have moved on from the excuse that luke falk was all to blame and have widened the net to include the ex gm.

Another way to state this is “Actually, Mike Maccagnan wasn’t that bad; it’s these lousy coaches holding Jachai Polite back.”  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is true, too, imo. Even if you give Gase the benefit of the doubt, the lack of competitiveness on offense has been a red flag issue. It’s one thing to be bad, but it’s another thing to go out and play like you know you’re bad. The #1 thing a coach on a bad team can do is instill confidence in even the worst players, and Gase has not done that. 

On the Jets, where do you even start trying to do this??

• Haha 1

Everyone wants this issue to be black and white. It is not. You can still be skeptical of Gase and still want to let the season play out to review a bigger sample size. I think most, me included, are worried about how we have looked in losses. Everyone gave Gase the benefit of the doubt because Sam was out.

First game back, we beat the Cowboys. The hype train took off! However, if you watch that game closely, there was still a lot to be worried about. 

Leave it to the Patriots to expose those deficiencies. We were brought back to reality and fans don't like that. Which, believe me, I am a fan too...I understand. Reality is, this season was all about the development of Sam. Record was always going to be irrelevant. Even with Gase being terrible, if Sam is "THE" guy, he won't be ruined, he will learn from this season and we will ultimately be better for it. 

We are a talent deficient team with injuries galore and a QB that while has shown signs of brilliance....has literally played 5 years of the QB position. 5...

Freshman - Junior Year of high school: Linebacker/Wide receiver. [Junior year he missed most due to injury]

Senior year- first time playing QB full-time [He stepped in one game as a sophomore and went back to playing LB/WR]

First year at USC - Redshirt

Second year - took over as starter after 1-2 start.

Third year - first time full-time starter

Drafted.

Rookie as a Jet - Did not play a full season - showed promise throughout, especially last qtr of the season.

This year - you know the story. 

He has literally only played one full and uninterrupted season as a QB.

To fire Gase after just these first few games is crazy...

To be worried and want to see improvement is very fair...but to fire him would do no one favors and would not bring us any closer to being successful.  

• Post of the Week 1

I want to like this guy but I’m having a hard time with him running HIS system in spite of the known deficiencies the Jets have. I don’t see innovation and adaptability to the hand he’s dealt. And I’m not dismissing the fact that the center should be calling out who to block and Sam also should be picking up blitzes. How about a 1/2 dozen audible plays that Sam can go to when he sees trouble, if he’s picking it up. Gase needs to take a page out of the Pats Offense. Plays must be designed to get the ball out in 2-3 seconds. I haven’t seen much of this yet. Then if the blitzes subside after getting beat with the dink and dunk plays, unload a couple of bombs to RA. Jags front 4 on D are going to be tough and word is out to bring the house because the Jets have yet to have an answer to this. I’m sure we’ll see a lot of personnel in the box against the Jags. Gase better find an answer to this fast.

• Upvote 1

Gase ousted Mac and put Douglas in place.  He seemingly sees the dysfunction and is trying to do something about it.  For that reason alone, he gets an offseason to see if he can improve the team and as a coach.  I have very little confidence in Adam Gase being a competent Head Coach but I'm optimistic for no reason other than shameless hope in Douglas.  That said, firing him after this season would just be another embarrassing mistake in a long line of terrible embarrassing mistakes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

Gase ousted Mac and put Douglas in place.  He seemingly sees the dysfunction and is trying to do something about it.  For that reason alone, he gets an offseason to see if he can improve the team and as a coach.  I have very little confidence in Adam Gase being a competent Head Coach but I'm optimistic for no reason other than shameless hope in Douglas.  That said, firing him after this season would just be another embarrassing mistake in a long line of terrible embarrassing mistakes. 

look whose on board the gase train woot woooot

16 hours ago, SAR I said:

For the record, it's an unpopular opinion here on Pity Party Defeatist Victim SOJF social media, but not out in the real world.  In the real world, everyone knows the curveball thrown at Gase, he's not responsible for 1-5.

The season starts Sunday.  10 games for Darnold and Gase to prove they can work together, 10 games for Williams to continue to inspire a deficient defense, but this time against teams we are on an even playing field with.  We've just run the gauntlet.  The easy part of the schedule is upon us, finally.  The pathetic Bills went 5-1 against these cripples, now its our turn.

SAR I

Honestly, that is BS. You're  basically saying when we have tough opponents, Gase gets a pass, but now that there are games we should win, the season starts?

When Falk was the QB, I can somewhat see that as an excuse, but we were at close to full strength  with Dallas and pretty much full with NE. Agaisnt Dallas, Gase couldn't  muster more than 3 points in the second half when Dallas was roaring back, and against NE, and a bunch of other games, Gase had no answer for the blitz. At some point you have to know it's  coming and have a counter ready. It's  pretty simple that was being out coached by someone  Gase should be pretty familiar with. 

Another thing, Gase barely even try's to run Bell consistently. I know we were playing from behind most of the games but in Dallas we had a lead and I believe Bell was not grinding in the second half. To the contrary, it was exactly what Dallas was doing to us. 

To your point, this team better show up for the remainder of the season. Against this cakewalk schedule we now have, he better be thinking run the table here.

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Honestly, that is BS. You're  basically saying when we have tough opponents, Gase gets a pass, but now that there are games we should win, the season starts?

When Falk was the QB, I can somewhat see that as an excuse, but we were at close to full strength  with Dallas and pretty much full with NE. Agaisnt Dallas, Gase couldn't  muster more than 3 points in the second half when Dallas was roaring back, and against NE, and a bunch of other games, Gase had no answer for the blitz. At some point you have to know it's  coming and have a counter ready. It's  pretty simple that was being out coached by someone  Gase should be pretty familiar with. 

Another thing, Gase barely even try's to run Bell consistently. I know we were playing from behind most of the games but in Dallas we had a lead and I believe Bell was not grinding in the second half. To the contrary, it was exactly what Dallas was doing to us. 

To your point, this team better show up for the remainder of the season. Against this cakewalk schedule we now have, he better be thinking run the table here.

Gase has had Darnold for three games. He should have beat the Bills (#3 defense) if not for Gregg Williams' defense puking all over themselves in the final eight minutes, he beat the Cowboys (#5 defense) and got his ass kicked against what looks to be an all-time defense in the Patriots (#1). I'd say that, on the whole, the offense has been competitive when they're not playing with their #3 QB. 

25 minutes ago, JiF said:

A bigger crock I have yet to read here. 

If Gase is a bad HC, he is gone. Screw getting JD and getti g rid of Mac. We have a FQB to develop and every season we have a clown for a HC, Darnold is being  handicapped. I am so sick of the constant parade of clowns run through this team at the HC position.  Enough is enough. Gase does not get a pass. I don't  care if he resurrects  George Hallas to be our GM, if he sucks, he should be fired immediately. 

• Thumb Down 1