Checks and Balances on Trade Options

Phillyjet

I think most would agree we are in sell mode, but the real questions are:

1) Who would most return value? and

2) How do we prevent a complete implosion of the team (maybe that's not possible at this point)?

All told, here is how I balance it out:

1) The safeties are the highest value trade options on the team: Sorry to say it, I like them both.  Jamal Adams has been the consummate pro and is as good as advertised.  He is the one guy on the team who could get a 1st and 3rd round pick in return.  A difference maker for a competing team.  And a position that we can't afford to pay $90 million for. in a couple of years. Marcus Maye could probably get us a second round pick.  Our safeties are that good.  If we are looking to acquire draft capital, they are the least riskiest and probably the highest reward.

2) Leo Williams: Sure, it makes sense as we have depth there, but unless we get back at least a 4th, we might as well let him play it out and leave in free agency.  Problem is his production doesn't seem to merit that high a return, so I would be surprised if he is dealt.  A waste if he is dealt for a 5th or below.

3) Leveon Bell: I think the cap hit would be a problem, but besides that, I am mindful that we are in a delicate place with Darnold.  Trading away assets while ruining the quarterback does not help the team next year... Darnold's development is too important.

4) Robby Anderson: For the same reason, I don't like this trade... the Jets have no receiving options.  Putting Darnold back there with noone to throw to is craziness.  I would hold on to Robby for this reason alone.

All total, as much as I like Jamal Adams (now in his third year), I think you trade him if you get a haul in return.  ANd then use that capital to acquire OL and WR help so that we can develop the quarterback.  If we get a 1st and 3rd, and then trade back to the middle rounds on both picks while getting better on the OL and WR, then perhaps Darnold develops a bit before we enter another offseason of rebuilding.  No great answers here unfortunately.

I am not in favor of getting rid of good players. Let's have a couple of actually decent drafts and smart FA acquisitions, and let overpriced guys get cut or walk (looking at Trumaine Johnson and Leo, if he won't come back at a reasonable price.)

NO ONE is going to overpay for anyone on this roster, and draft picks sound great, but are always a gamble - all teams have misses. We just have had more of them than just about any team, year after year. If Douglass can reverse this trend and stop the hemorrhage of money for stiffs, and the drafting of talentless reaches, we will get better.  

PS: Coaching is another matter - and I reserve judgement until the end of this season to weigh that part of the "getting competitive" equation.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

I am not in favor of getting rid of good players. Let's have a couple of actually decent drafts and smart FA acquisitions, and let overpriced guys get cut or walk (looking at Trumaine Johnson and Leo, if he won't come back at a reasonable price.)

NO ONE is going to overpay for anyone on this roster, and draft picks sound great, but are always a gamble - all teams have misses. We just have had more of them than just about any team, year after year. If Douglass can reverse this trend and stop the hemorrhage of money for stiffs, and the drafting of talentless reaches, we will get better.  

PS: Coaching is another matter - and I reserve judgement until the end of this season to weigh that part of the "getting competitive" equation.

I agree with you completely.  

10 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

I think that's reasonable.  But everyone has a price... if someone actually offered two 1's for Jamal, would you say no?  A 1 and  a 2?  At what price would you make the trade?

8 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

I think most would agree we are in sell mode, but the real questions are:

1) Who would most return value? and

2) How do we prevent a complete implosion of the team (maybe that's not possible at this point)?

All told, here is how I balance it out:

1) The safeties are the highest value trade options on the team: Sorry to say it, I like them both.  Jamal Adams has been the consummate pro and is as good as advertised.  He is the one guy on the team who could get a 1st and 3rd round pick in return.  A difference maker for a competing team.  And a position that we can't afford to pay $90 million for. in a couple of years. Marcus Maye could probably get us a second round pick.  Our safeties are that good.  If we are looking to acquire draft capital, they are the least riskiest and probably the highest reward.

2) Leo Williams: Sure, it makes sense as we have depth there, but unless we get back at least a 4th, we might as well let him play it out and leave in free agency.  Problem is his production doesn't seem to merit that high a return, so I would be surprised if he is dealt.  A waste if he is dealt for a 5th or below.

3) Leveon Bell: I think the cap hit would be a problem, but besides that, I am mindful that we are in a delicate place with Darnold.  Trading away assets while ruining the quarterback does not help the team next year... Darnold's development is too important.

4) Robby Anderson: For the same reason, I don't like this trade... the Jets have no receiving options.  Putting Darnold back there with noone to throw to is craziness.  I would hold on to Robby for this reason alone.

All total, as much as I like Jamal Adams (now in his third year), I think you trade him if you get a haul in return.  ANd then use that capital to acquire OL and WR help so that we can develop the quarterback.  If we get a 1st and 3rd, and then trade back to the middle rounds on both picks while getting better on the OL and WR, then perhaps Darnold develops a bit before we enter another offseason of rebuilding.  No great answers here unfortunately.

Why can’t we afford Adams? We have no one else to pay and have to fill the cap somehow.

Of the top 100 things Jets fans should be worried about, overpaying isn’t on the list. We are not a destination team.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Why can’t we afford Adams? We have no one else to pay and have to fill the cap somehow.

Of the top 100 things Jets fans should be worried about, overpaying isn’t on the list. We are not a destination team.

Your right. at this point the roster is so bad anyone can get cut. Not one high paid player is worth the money. Even CJ Mosley, who’s basically give us one half this season.

It’s a blank slate really, it’s about trying not to totally ruin Darnold at this point. Although after the Pats game, I’d say there is a now a very high percentage he’s mentally ****ed.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

If a bad game breaks him into little pieces, he was never going to be what we needed anyway.

Depends on now many ghosts he’s seen? - The Pats game plan will be used by every Defensive coordinator in the league, that plays the Jets.

Let’s see what innovation Gase can come up with to counter it?

Maybe max protect, T.E’s left in to chip the blitz’s. Not going empty. You know high school level coaching stuff.

• Upvote 1

This is not baseball. There is no sell mode where you get what you can for all your players. The only players who should be considered for trades are ones that don't make us better period. I know plenty of people have an deep seeded hatred for leo which I don't believe he deserves but he makes the team better and plays an important role for us which unfortunately does not translate to big stats i don't believe we would get the value from a trade he is worth and I think it is at least worth waiting to see what he wants to make on his next contract before giving him away remember he is only 25. Robby anderson I don't like but again he makes us better so why trade him for penuts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

Leo williams has the top cap hit on the jets.  You can say oh he is a good dude all you want but guys like phillips who is an udfa making 500 G is near as good of a player.  It makes no sense to keep high  priced players that do not actually help you win.

We are not going to pay him big money on his next contract and we are not getting comp picks more than likely thus you trade him now.

There is zero chance any team offers us 2 first for Adams if anyone did the jets would be the stupidest team on earth not to immediately trade him.

• Upvote 4

Leo williams has the top cap hit on the jets.  You can say oh he is a good dude all you want but guys like phillips who is an udfa making 500 G is near as good of a player.  It makes no sense to keep high  priced players that do not actually help you win.
We are not going to pay him big money on his next contract and we are not getting comp picks more than liekly thus you trade him now.
There is zero chance any team offers us 2 first for Adams if anyone did the jets would be the stupidest team on earth not to immediately trade him.
If you can't get a 3rd or 4th for leo you trade him for a 5th or later pick not knowing what he will demand on his next contract? Kid is a good player if he doesn't demand great player money why not try to resign him?

19 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

If you can't get a 3rd or 4th for leo you trade him for a 5th or later pick not knowing what he will demand on his next contract? Kid is a good player if he doesn't demand great player money why not try to resign him?

Well the jets should have made a reasonable decision on whether to resign him or not by now.

We need CBs, Pass rushers, Olineman, WRs' TE

And we have invested money and picks on DT, S, ILB

And no you would not trade him for a 5th in that case you just let him walk if you cannot get perceived fair value for a solid starter.

Both Robbie & Leo are on the trade block and they are still there. Neither are that good. When Mack, Cooper, guys like that's are put up for auction things happen. Every single Jet player is an average nobody on the market. Our best players are free agents we bought in Bell & Mosely.

I doubt you could get a #1 for Jamal Adams? He doesn't move the needle. He dances after routine tackles, occasionally gets there on a blitz and has trouble in space. He's no Devin McCourty. 

When healthy I think the Jets are a lot closer to being competitive than a lot of fans give them credit for. Now, I'm not a big fan of what I have seen from Gase so far but I like G.Williams and I think the most important building block is in place (Darnold). 

But right now the Jets need to rebuild the O-line and add a legitimate top end CB to replace Trumaine.

Top TEAM FA targets: Poole, A.Lewis, Jenkins

Additional TEAM FAs: T.Compton, Ficken, Edwards, Copeland

Notable FA departures: Beachem, Shell, Leo, Anderson, Hewitt, Kalil, D.Thomas (I don't think Jet brass is willing to pay Leo and Robby what they will be asking and the rest are not really worth bringing back. Hewitt is the only exception but the Jets will have Williams coming back from injury and Cashman. I can't imagine them investing more money in Hewitt after he had a great season and will want to cash in)

Notable cuts: Tru, Winters, Osemele (none are performing up to where they should be and all will bring cap relief)

FA Targets: CB, OG/C, Pass Rusher, WR

Draft Targets: OT, CB, Pass Rusher, WR ,RB

This kind of turnaround can happen in one to two seasons. It will take a competent GM and a little bit of luck with injuries, hitting on SOME draft picks and SOME FA pickups. The Jets don't need to trade Adams or Maye, or Bell or any of their high value assets. They have their draft picks next year and they will have plenty of cap room once they make some of these moves to cut players who are not performing and as players like Leo, Beachem and Kalil who are getting paid a lot walk in FA. 

Bottom line, don't panic and give JD an offseason to bring in some talent via the draft and FA. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Yes, I would trade Leo for a 5th.  That would be preferable to re-signing him or letting him walk for nothing.

We just drafted Quinnen Williams # 3 overall.  Leonard Williams is a luxury we should not entertain paying.  If he was worth an extension he would have gotten one already rather than paying him $14M this season.