Is Darnold regressing under Gase?

kevinc855

5 hours ago, Hael said:

I remember watching Peyton Manning in those first couple years really struggling, and throwing pick after pick.  Indeed, he also had issues with overloaded pressure, and I also remember the off balance throws resulting in pick 6s.

The good news is that it is something that good coaching can rectify, but it's also something that just takes time. 

Darnold's fundamental problem here is play recognition.  He's just not seeing the right decision fast enough, and is missing early cues to how the defense is going to play him.  Couple that with a new offensive system that he's not super familiar with, as well as nerves about the state of the OL, and maybe a little lingering Mono recovery (it affects reaction time!), and all of a sudden a few big hits start to create a bunch of bad habits in the pocket.

Look we saw that with Andrew Luck as well, and again this can be fixed relatively quickly, as long as you establish some continuity and rhythm into the offense.   Of course, the impending fire sale, is probably not going to help matters on that point.

Peyton Manning was a generational talent coming out.

Sam Darnold was mitch trubisky coming out.  The only difference btwn darnold and trubisky was darnold had one great game on national tv against notre dame.

Comparing darnold to manning is absurd.

5 hours ago, Hael said:

I remember watching Peyton Manning in those first couple years really struggling, and throwing pick after pick.  Indeed, he also had issues with overloaded pressure, and I also remember the off balance throws resulting in pick 6s.

The good news is that it is something that good coaching can rectify, but it's also something that just takes time. 

Darnold's fundamental problem here is play recognition.  He's just not seeing the right decision fast enough, and is missing early cues to how the defense is going to play him.  Couple that with a new offensive system that he's not super familiar with, as well as nerves about the state of the OL, and maybe a little lingering Mono recovery (it affects reaction time!), and all of a sudden a few big hits start to create a bunch of bad habits in the pocket.

Look we saw that with Andrew Luck as well, and again this can be fixed relatively quickly, as long as you establish some continuity and rhythm into the offense.   Of course, the impending fire sale, is probably not going to help matters on that point.

Peyton struggled his first year, by year 2 he was great leading them to a division title and his first postseason choke.  To be fair, peyton walked into a situation with boatloads of talent around him which Sam doesn't have but he still got a lot better year 1 to year 2.

A better comparison is 2001 when Indy had a ton of injuries, peyton struggled and the team went 6-10.  That is where this season is headed.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Definitely, because Adam Gase should be able to take the 2-14 roster he brought to Jacksonville and get them to perform like they're 14-2 caliber.  Yeah, I'm the crazy one.

SAR I

Half the OL was there last year with a huge upgrade at RB and Crowder is a better slot Wr than they’ve had for years plus isn’t Robby Anderson suppose to be pretty good...plus year 2 vs being a rookie

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Half the OL was there last year with a huge upgrade at RB and Crowder is a better slot Wr than they’ve had for years plus isn’t Robby Anderson suppose to be pretty good...plus year 2 vs being a rookie

And we went from non competitive to one play away (Deep pass to Robby late that was PI) From winning. Against a better Jax team than last year. 

1 minute ago, nico002 said:

And we went from non competitive to one play away (Deep pass to Robby late that was PI) From winning. Against a better Jax team than last year. 

You’re actually another delusional Jets homer but completely agree, the PI was a game turning BS call on Anderson, as was the Williams sack. Every time the Jets hit on shifting momentum they got some BS call from the refs,  like they were the red headed stepchild who preemptively weren’t allowed to even compete to win the game per refs 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Well yeah that’s called coaching

I could come up with some fancy analogy about the difference between being asked to drive a Ferrari and a rusty Ford but I'll skip that and say this:

No head coach in the NFL could be any better than 1-6 under these circumstances.  Blame Maccagnan for this thin, incomplete roster.  Blame God for injuries.  Blame Gase for nothing.

SAR I

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

It's like they forgot why they wanted Macc fired so badly. Just give Adam Gase, or Frank Pollack the NFL magic wand where you point it a guy, say abracadabra & poof, pro bowl Oline, lol. Not only were they bottom 5 when the season started, without Beachum who was an average pass blocker & a terrible run blocker, they are currently worst in the league, NO DOUBT! 

What amazes me about the Macc hire was this guy came from Houston where they got David Carr killed & he proceeded to ignore the Oline the minute he got here, just strange? 

Great post.

If the locker room implodes, that's on Gase.

Anything else is on prior management.  One doesn't wipe away the stench of the Maccagnan draft busts and the Bowles culture with one offseason and new uniforms.  To have the winning season I expected I knew that we needed some luck in the health department and I was hopeful we'd get it.  We didn't.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Hear hear.

Not only that, but 14 of the Jacksonville points came from disastrous decisions by Jamal Adams or Marcus Maye.  If those two had a quality game, the Jets win this thing.  And that's despite all the injuries and atrocious play.  But, nah, let's not give Gase any credit for that.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I could come up with some fancy analogy about the difference between being asked to drive a Ferrari and a rusty Ford but I'll skip that and say this:

No head coach in the NFL could be any better than 1-6 under these circumstances.  Blame Maccagnan for this thin, incomplete roster.  Blame God for injuries.  Blame Gase for nothing.

SAR I

I started to reply to this before I realized who wrote it.  I thought  you were serious.  Any high school coach should have won the Bills game, so even an incompetent driving a rusty Ford, or a driver's ed student should be 2-5.

BTW, isn't Tannehill winning in Tennessee hurting the Gase argument? 

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Hear hear.

Not only that, but 14 of the Jacksonville points came from disastrous decisions by Jamal Adams or Marcus Maye.  If those two had a quality game, the Jets win this thing.  And that's despite all the injuries and atrocious play.  But, nah, let's not give Gase any credit for that.

SAR I

If there is ever anything a head coach deserves credit for, it is disastrous decisions from his safeties.

40 minutes ago, HessStation said:

You’re actually another delusional Jets homer but completely agree, the PI was a game turning BS call on Anderson, as was the Williams sack. Every time the Jets hit on shifting momentum they got some BS call from the refs,  like they were the red headed stepchild who preemptively weren’t allowed to even compete to win the game per refs 

Jamal can't wrap up and finish a sack, TD Jacksonville.  Jamal can't control himself, gets 30 yards in personal fouls on the same drive, TD Jacksonville.  Poole takes a bad angle, 70 yard run for Fournette.

Jamal Adams played a worse game than Sam Darnold, no criticism.  Gregg Willliams called a worse game than Adam Gase, no criticism.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I started to reply to this before I realized who wrote it.  I thought  you were serious.  Any high school coach should have won the Bills game, so even an incompetent driving a rusty Ford, or a driver's ed student should be 2-5.

BTW, isn't Tannehill winning in Tennessee hurting the Gase argument? 

Tennessee was 9-7 last year.  The Jets were 4-12.

The Bills loss was on Gregg Williams.  He's the one that had a 16 point lead with 10 minutes to go and didn't adjust when Mosley went out hurt.  No NFL defense blows a 16 point lead in the 4th quarter.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Jamal can't wrap up and finish a sack, TD Jacksonville.  Jamal can't control himself, gets 30 yards in personal fouls on the same drive, TD Jacksonville.  Poole takes a bad angle, 70 yard run for Fournette.

Jamal Adams played a worse game than Sam Darnold, no criticism.  Gregg Willliams called a worse game than Adam Gase, no criticism.

SAR I

Both Adams PF’s were a joke. He played fine and certainly not the problem. 

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If there is ever anything a head coach deserves credit for, it is disastrous decisions from his safeties.

Not the way the Jets are arranged.  Gregg Williams runs the D.  He may not have the title, but he's running half the team.  Or am I crazy, and Adam Gase is telling Gregg Williams, of all people, how to run a defense.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Both Adams PF’s were a joke. He played fine and certainly not the problem. 

He was given 30 yards in penalties on 1 drive leading to a TD that he himself took the blame for.

He failed to wrap up Minshew who escaped the sack and threw a 50 yard TD dart instead.

Fournette opened the game with a 70 yard run right into the spot on the field where Jamal Adams customarily is positioned.

That's 3 touchdowns that don't happen if Jamal Adams does his job better.  And there was another drive where he dropepd a critical interception.

Hey, I love the guy, I spent $350 on his jersey.  But he's the first person to ask for "more dogs" and then yesterday he plays like a mouse.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Tennessee was 9-7 last year.  The Jets were 4-12.

The Bills loss was on Gregg Williams.  He's the one that had a 16 point lead with 10 minutes to go and didn't adjust when Mosley went out hurt.  No NFL defense blows a 16 point lead in the 4th quarter.

SAR I

No NFL defense does it, yet we did.  Your coach and playoff team don't have an NFL defense.  Extension!

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Not the way the Jets are arranged.  Gregg Williams runs the D.  He may not have the title, but he's running half the team.  Or am I crazy, and Adam Gase is telling Gregg Williams, of all people, how to run a defense.

SAR I

If we keep limiting the head coaches job to a smaller and smaller circle it will be harder and harder for him to **** up.  Gase was brought here to improve Darnold.  Based on that criteria, he should already have been on the unemployment line for at least a week.

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

He was given 30 yards in penalties on 1 drive leading to a TD that he himself took the blame for.

He failed to wrap up Minshew who escaped the sack and threw a 50 yard TD dart instead.

Fournette opened the game with a 70 yard run right into the spot on the field where Jamal Adams customarily is positioned.

That's 3 touchdowns that don't happen if Jamal Adams does his job better.  And there was another drive where he dropepd a critical interception.

Hey, I love the guy, I spent $350 on his jersey.  But he's the first person to ask for "more dogs" and then yesterday he plays like a mouse.

SAR I

You are a better Jamal Adams fan than anybody else.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

The PFs were a joke. The Fornette run was more on the DL, LBs then Maye. The missed sack happens. They have two first round DTs who suck so bad Minshew was able to easily step up to avoid the sack. 
Adams isn’t an “elite” safety but pretty good and you’re tunnel visioned on the wrong player bc of your inability to grasp that Gase sucks balls and they have 7 jags playing the front 7.