This is what a future franchise player looks like

Philc1

I always thought we were just waiting for our FQB and we’d be ok. I can’t believe how wrong I was. By the time we get a good supporting cast Sam won’t be Sam anymore. 

Just crushed right now. 

Dont worry. There was a time where you couldnt tell any Jets fan that it takes more than just a QB and that the QB is the last piece of the puzzle not the first.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Dont worry. There was a time where you couldnt tell any Jets fan that it takes more than just a QB and that the QB is the last piece of the puzzle not the first.

I don’t think a QB is necessarily the last piece. It’s just that the rest of the team should never be as bad as we are. Criminally bad. 

• Upvote 3

I don’t think a QB is necessarily the last piece. It’s just that the rest of the team should never be as bad as we are. Criminally bad. 

Its 100% the last piece and its not even arguable. Go back and see how Mangini built our last decent team. Look at what Parcells did when he came here. You cant even judge a QB until you have a solid team around him, let alone rely on a rookie to overcome bad play and bad coaching. See the problem is its been 10 year since we had a GM and coach with brains so most young people dont even know what it takes and what it looks like.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Well, that theory was based on an assumption that the GM had a basic understanding of how to develop a football team.

Meaning, when you draft said QB - you then use the vast majority of other resources to build a team around him.

Like not drafting a DT at #3 overall and paying a MLB $80mm - 

• Upvote 1

Well, that theory was based on an assumption that the GM had a basic understanding of how to develop a football team.
Meaning, when you draft said QB - you then use the vast majority of other resources to build a team around him.
Like not drafting a DT at #3 overall and paying a MLB $80mm - 

I was told on this board that all we needed to worry about was getting a QB. Thats why we traded up for this guy.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Its 100% the last piece and its not even arguable. Go back and see how Mangini built our last decent team. Look at what Parcells did when he came here. You cant even judge a QB until you have a solid team around him, let alone rely on a rookie to overcome bad play and bad coaching. See the problem is its been 10 year since we had a GM and coach with brains so most young people dont even know what it takes and what it looks like.

I disagree. QBs can’t be the first piece but don’t need to be the last. 

2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I was told on this board that all we needed to worry about was getting a QB. Thats why we traded up for this guy.

I think there's making a statement that most understand is not literal...but for the most part is accurate.  

If you gave Sam even a middle of the road OL and just one WR that can win a one-on-one battle and fight for the ball - and you will be competitive week in and week out.

• Upvote 1

I think there's making a statement that most understand is not literal...but for the most part is accurate.  
If you gave Sam even a middle of the road OL and just one WR that can win a one-on-one battle and fight for the ball - and you will be competitive week in and week out.

You cant tank for a QB with a middle of the road OL. Kind of an oxymoron.

2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

You cant tank for a QB with a middle of the road OL. Kind of an oxymoron.

I disagree, if your plan is to you use all of your other primary resources to build one.  It's not like they couldn't have done that.

Look, if we're fighting over Mac being sh-ty I agree...but if we're fighting over the fact that the QB isn't far and away the most important position in all of sports and you have to do whatever you can to get one - if that means taking one when your teams sucks you do it...

but you MUST then make building around him your single most important priority.

I disagree, if your plan is to you use all of your other primary resources to build one.  It's not like they couldn't have done that.
Look, if we're fighting over Mac being sh-ty I agree...but if we're fighting over the fact that the QB isn't far and away the most important position in all of sports and you have to do whatever you can to get one - if that means taking one when your teams sucks you do it...
but you MUST then make building around him your single most important priority.

The young QBs having success all were picked after basically the rest of the team was picked. Its not the most important position in sports, not even close.

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Huh?  The Knicks are one of the few teams that the Jets have more wins than! 

Great players on bad teams? That’s like Adams and Darnold. 

I don't mean to single you out, but when are we going to stop referring to Darnold as a "great player" around here?

So many do it, and the only thing great about him is/was his potential.

We're midway through his second season, and he's at best, the same player he was when we drafted him. In fact it's more likely he's regressing then progressing at this point.

1 hour ago, Mo Lew said:

I always thought we were just waiting for our FQB and we’d be ok. I can’t believe how wrong I was. By the time we get a good supporting cast Sam won’t be Sam anymore. 

Just crushed right now. 

A franchise qb cannot make up for a garbage head coach, GM and inept owner

20 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This whole "last piece of the puzzle" argument is silly.  When a potential FQB is available, you draft him.  There isn't any more to be said about that.

Drafting Sam was definitely the right move it was Mac and now Douglas botching everything else

24 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I have loved watching RJ. I think he is the first legit first round talent the Knicks have drafted since Ewing but I have a feeling once Zion starts playing, you might feel different

Zion’s knee so far looks like Jonah’s shoulder

HAH, I FINALLY figured out what happened:

They interview Adam Gase. Mac is like "no WAY this nutcase is good for this or any other team..." and Big Dick Johnson is so "blown away" that he hires him in spite of Mac's opinion. Which leaves Mac exposed and, in the end, out on his butt.

But, truth be told, Jets fans are the ones butt f*cked.