If you think Darnold is a FQB, what could change that?

ZachEY

3 hours ago, TeddEY said:

The Hot Take Factories have been running overtime.  My question is, if, at this point in his career, you still view Sam Darnold as unquestionably the answer at QB, what could change that?

Seems to me, that right now, that opinion is pretty solidified, and Sam is great but is unable to play great because of the line, the WRs, and Gase.  So, is there anything that can change that for you in Sam’s play, or does he get a pass until Gase is gone, the line is fixed, and we have better WRs?

For context, he has 8 turnovers in 2 weeks, and has the 3rd most INTs despite missing 3 games, as well as the league leading INT% by a meaningful margin.

So, again, anything that would make you change your opinion from “he’s being ruined,” to “he’s just not good?”

He is a bad QB. PERIOD.  Bottom 5 in the NFL.  We need to come to terms that he is not a special player.  Not even close to special.  He is a below average turnover prone QB who cant handle pressure.  It's time to stop wasting time on this dud. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

He definitely can still become one, he has all of the raw talent to do so. However he is tracking in the wrong direction and looks worse in his 2nd season than his first and it's also not completely on his o-line this time. If he doesn't stage a great bounce-back soon I'd be looking at 20 and 21 QB's. 

15 minutes ago, J-Diddy said:

He is a bad QB. PERIOD.  Bottom 5 in the NFL.  We need to come to terms that he is not a special player.  Not even close to special.  He is a below average turnover prone QB who cant handle pressure.  It's time to stop wasting time on this dud. 

Don't worry, the next USC Qb will be different /S 

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, J-Diddy said:

Good lord just stop. So lets stop wasting time on a 2nd year QB... 

Who is 22 years old...?

Who has played 17 games TOTAL...?

With his 2nd Coach in 2 years...? 

With his 2nd Offense in 2 years...?

With his 2nd GM in 2 years...?

With his 3rd Center in 17 games...? 

With a cast off offensive line...? 

Who is sacked/pressured more than any QB in the league...? 

Who has .5 maybe 1 starting level wideout...?

Who keeps his head down outside of footall...?

Who has played one of the most brutal opening stretches against opposing defenses in recent memory...? 

And is easily the best QB we have trotted out in 15-20 years...?

That QB? 

... Insert massive eye roll. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I can’t put a number on it....like “8 turnovers in two weeks,” but I think it’s one of those things where you know it when you see it.  IF he was playing bad while in a clean pocket.  If he was missing open WRs.  If he wasn’t going through his progressions while not under duress, I’d really start to worry.  THAT would be regression.

If I watch last year’s Indy, Denver, Packers games and this year’s Dallas game I see 4 games that were lead by a guy who jumps off the screen as a franchise QB. And this is with a pretty damn poor supporting cast.

I’m clearly in the camp that thinks this kid has “it.”  What he doesn’t have is anything else around him, and it’s hard to develop like that.  He’s played 17 NFL games.

What stream said.

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Deshaun Watson without OL... Watson with a better line... Just an example... Watson without a line, looks terrible, can't win and throws picks.... now with improved line he looks like an MVP... 

That's fantastic and all, but again, you have to perform with what you got. There's tons of talented guys who end up on bad teams and never make it because they play with scrubs. Players aren't paid for how they perform when everything is perfect and there's a hundred guys who can perform in those circumstances. They're paid for performing regardless of the circumstances. 

Should Sam have his contract torn up and be paid 30 million a year because he's done ok except for the coaches, the other players, and ESPN? 

It's abysmal. The situation sucks and he's getting no help, but the reality of the NFL is all of that doesn't matter. Wishes and Dreams of what he *could* do in a better situation don't mean squat. 

I dont know where to go with Sam.  I've heard the right people say the good things about him.  Also heard voices say bad things about him.  A local West Coast football pundit whose opinion I trust didnt rate him so high.  Usually throw those kind of things aside.  But that put some doubts in my mind.  While I was running the Rose Bowl win in the back of my head.  I think we wll see if Sam can create dispute the bad line and lack of weapons in these upcoming games.  You never know what somebody's metal is till you throw them in the fire.  Last year their were glimpses.  But a season of this crap will make or break him.  Will know whether there's soming to build in when/if Gase getz the sack.

4 hours ago, nico002 said:

That’s an insane take. He’s played 4 games 

1. vs the #2 defense in the NFL with mono, he was better than Essentially any QB has been vs that D this year 

2. he played his best game ever against Dallas- after the offense literally couldn’t gain a first down without him 

3. he has the worst game of his career against the best defense ever through 8 games 

4. he has a mediocre game against a tough jags defense that shut down deshaun Watson. Led two gutsy drives and was literally inches away from a 99 yard TD that would have blown the doors of the jags 

how about we let Sam play a little bit more before casting unfair judgment one way or the other?

Im not sure how that is unfair. so far to date, i'd say its accurate.

30 minutes ago, J-Diddy said:

If by year 2 you still suck (darnold does) then you most likely are not a special player.

Yet, there are quite a lot of players every year who become special after year 2, we can even directly point to our very own ex jet. Damon Harrison as a prime example of that. 

Darnold could finish the season and still be as young as half the qbs coming out of college next year. Yet, we will have a guy with 2 years of NFL experience already under his belt. 

37 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

That's fantastic and all, but again, you have to perform with what you got. There's tons of talented guys who end up on bad teams and never make it because they play with scrubs. Players aren't paid for how they perform when everything is perfect and there's a hundred guys who can perform in those circumstances. They're paid for performing regardless of the circumstances. 

Should Sam have his contract torn up and be paid 30 million a year because he's done ok except for the coaches, the other players, and ESPN? 

It's abysmal. The situation sucks and he's getting no help, but the reality of the NFL is all of that doesn't matter. Wishes and Dreams of what he *could* do in a better situation don't mean squat. 

Ok, but can you really judge if he can be a franchise QB based on what he has been given? Sure he looks bad at times and has looked great at times... but when he makes the right offensive shift or hot route and the player decides to not do his job, is that on Darnold?... Look, he is obviously shell shocked but not ruined, not yet... He will be if continually hit like he is... but you can see the talent when he isn't getting tossed around like a rag doll. The proclamations here that he is never going to be a great QB are short sighted and off base... We all see how bad this team is as a whole, to pin it on a kid that has been in 2 Offensive systems and OL that is different every single week, with no consistancy at WR and play caller that is refusing to use his best weapon because he thinks that the Defensive front is too good... 

Its just early... I can't say one way or another, but some of the throws this kid makes are unreal... He is obviously the best QB the Jets have drafted since Kenny O... I am just so surprised at how fast people are willing to give up on him.

5 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Is it concerning to you that some of his biggest mistakes yesterday came when he wasn’t under pressure?

INT1: Under pressure, escapes, the correct play is to throw the ball away here, but he throws and awful pass to a covered WR.

INT2: No pressure, throws a terribly off target deep pass.

INT3: No pressure, throws to a well covered WR.

Bonus: No pressure on the 4th down throw where he misses a wide open WR on a pitch-and-catch out.  Turnover on downs.

I was interested what people thought about those INTs.  One was the place for an obvious throw away and he tried to force it when he couldn't get anything behind the throw.  Even when he is going good, this is something scary.  It is good that he never gives up on a play, but sometimes you should. 

The one I was interested in was the one to Anderson.  That looked like a fairly standard route where Anderson would normally plant and break out and back to the QB.  If he does that, there might not have been a pick.  He broke on sort of a lazy rounded out cut drifting deeper.  The ball was probably still a bit inside, but depending on the way the route was supposed to be run, that might not have been that bad a throw.  FWIW, the announcer specifically said it was a horrible throw - which surprised me.  Those guys usually make any excuse for the QB they can, but maybe that is because Archuleta was a safety, not a QB, like Fouts, Gannon, Romo, etc.  I can't really remember the 3rd one off hand.  There have been so many!

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

it's not the turnovers as much as is it the types of turnovers.

That 2nd and 24, down 7 in the 4th - was a horrible throw - he made a bunch of them in the NE game.

If he's going to keeps just throwing the ball in the air, with no open - then he's nothing more than a back-up in this league.  If he can get that under control I still believe he's a FQB.

Yup. I have to know if Chucking the ball when distressed is the norm for him or if he can get it coached out of him.....can’t win in this league continuously throwing up prayers when under duress. OL is terrible but some throws the last two weeks we’re awful decisions....you have to live to fight another down and keep points on the scoreboard....hopefully he can get it coached out of him...for the record I believe he can get it coached out of him....still believe in the kid I think he’s mentally tough.....but if he can’t he doesn’t have a future as a starting QB in this league. Period. 

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

it's not the turnovers as much as is it the types of turnovers.

That 2nd and 24, down 7 in the 4th - was a horrible throw - he made a bunch of them in the NE game.

If he's going to keeps just throwing the ball in the air, with no open - then he's nothing more than a back-up in this league.  If he can get that under control I still believe he's a FQB.

agree on the throw down 7.   look if it was 3rd and 24 and he throws it up, that's okay.  but i would have liked him to try to get 7-10 yards on 2nd down and then perhaps a managable 3rd down.  

he's being way too lazy throwing the ball.

Whether he’s FQB or not is a bit irrelevant at this point. The guy was always going to be a project, it’s the fans that have pinned this FQB garbage on him from when he was in college (“Suck for Sam” was a common phrase around here). He’s ridiculously young and hasn’t been a qb his whole life. He seems to be able to learn from mistakes, appears to study hard and shows glimpses of being really solid. If you put an inexperienced QB behind a line that is on track to surrender 70-80 sacks this season, there’s very little room for actual growth. I don’t care how great a QB is, if you don’t trust the guys protecting you then you will always expect a sack is a second away. This will lead to mistakes. Especially in a young, inexperienced guy who wants to put games on his shoulders. Improve his Line and see what comes of that. If at the end of his rookie deal he’s still making the sh*t mistakes he’s made the past two weeks, then consider moving on.

Again, he was always going to be a project. Anyone who wants to jump ship at this point is a victim of their own expectations. 17 games on this team can’t show you enough to say he’s bad. It can’t show you enough to say he’s great. Stay the course and improve the pieces around him. 

On 10/28/2019 at 10:58 AM, Obrien2Toon said:

I’m hanging on to his red shirt freshman year

his instincts that year made me believe he was the best prospect since Luck.

unfortunately  the 3 years since, he’s looked totally different

I love Darnold, but didn't Hackenberg have a great Freshman year?