Leonard Williams traded to the Giants

extmenace

9 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Is Dave Gettleman stupid enough to overpay an underperforming DT? 

Gettleman is no longer paying the 6th overall pick Leo. He is paying the failed on the Jets traded to the Giants Leo. 

Leo has value to a football team, but he will always be judged by his draft position. If he were a 5th round pick, Leo would be seen in a more positive light. He'll get a mid-range contract that is closer to what he is worth to a team. We're getting the 4th.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

"Williams was the best player in the draft regardless of position. If you're the Jets, you had to take him. The sky's the limit with this kid. He's stout against the run and athletic as can be." -- Mike Mayock

What a complete boob.

To be fair, there were a ton of "experts" that thought he was a stud. 

• Upvote 1

You wonder how much of this is about culture, too. Leonard seems like a nice guy, but never seemed like he wanted to compete. You’d think a guy like that would burn the balls off of Gregg Williams, especially if that mushiness was rubbing off on Quinnen Williams. Both Henry Anderson and Phillips seem to play exponentially harder than Leonard or Quinnen do, so this could be a wake up call for the whole DL

• Upvote 4

Considering that I didn't even think we'd get a 3rd for Leonard Williams, I'm pleasantly surprised.

This trade makes no sense for the Giants. They're 2-6, really in the same position as us. They should be sellers, not buyers. They gave up a 3rd (a high 3rd at that) and 2021 5th (which will be a 4th if they re-sign LW) for a guy they could have signed outright in the offseason 

granite state GIF

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

What would you have preferred? Giving a Leo an extension. It was a good move 

I would have preferred we not draft Leo in the first place, like I said at the time.

Again, completely blowing a #6 overall pick and accepting the consolation prize of mid-round picks is better than nothing.  We'll see how Leo plays in blue, and who we get.  Again, if we pick ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hanson again, this starts looking like a pretty crap deal.  We won't know for some time.

It's not something to celebrate like we just won something meaningful.  It's the consolation prize, maybe, if we use the picks right.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

You wonder how much of this is about culture, too. Leonard seems like a nice guy, but never seemed like he wanted to compete. You’d think a guy like that would burn the balls off of Gregg Williams, especially if that mushiness was rubbing off on Quinnen Williams. Both Henry Anderson and Phillips seem to play exponentially harder than Leonard or Quinnen do, so this could be a wake up call for the whole DL

even beyond this, LW never seemed to have the pure athleticism needed to win the 1 on 1 matchups on the line and that's proven right.  Q already has a few pure wins, even in this dumpster fire of a season.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

We're getting the 4th.

I actually think the opposite is true.  The Jets get the 4th only if Leo signs an extension before the league year ends.  If the Giants plan to resign Leo, they'll have a contract in place with a wink and a nod that he signs it the day the new league year starts.

50 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

The jets were never trading him just for a 3rd because we were most likely getting that in a comp pick anyways. so whoever took him was always going to have to throw in another pick..

this is wrong.  It was unlikely.  It all depends on what kind of contract he gets (and I doubt he gets the size contract that would yield more than a 4th or 5th) and whether or not Douglas would have signed more UFAs than let go.  If so, then there would be NO comp picks no matter what Leo signed for.

Why is it nobody gets the workings of Comp picks?  They are far from guaranteed when a team lets an UFA go.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, FireTheJohnsons said:

who hates Joe Douglas already? What could he have done to make anyone hate him so quick?

The Kicker debacle, evidently.

Plus people are hating on him for Matt Kalil even though it wasn't his decision to thrust him out there, nor was it Douglas's decision to be so badly strapped at Center in the first place.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I haven't watched Quinnen individually enough to have any idea how hard he looks like he's playing but I did have reservations about how the vaunted work ethic was gonna hold up when he got rich.

13 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

its actually more than i was hoping to get, i hoped for a 3rd, ill take a 3rd and a possible 4th for a guy were werent resigning anyway. 

or will joe douglas pull a brian cashman and trade him away only to sign him back for short money next season and get leo and a 3rd and 5th?!!?!?! lol 

I agree. Surprised at the haul. League is still enamoured with his perceived draft pedigree 

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

even beyond this, LW never seemed to have the pure athleticism needed to win the 1 on 1 matchups on the line and that's proven right.  Q already has a few pure wins, even in this dumpster fire of a season.  

If only there was some scouting tool readily available to predict things like this....

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I would have preferred we not draft Leo in the first place, like I said at the time.

Again, completely blowing a #6 overall pick and accepting the consolation prize of mid-round picks is better than nothing.  We'll see how Leo plays in blue, and who we get.  Again, if we pick ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hanson again, this starts looking like a pretty crap deal.  We won't know for some time.

It's not something to celebrate like we just won something meaningful.  It's the consolation prize, maybe, if we use the picks right.  

The pick was already a fail. The trade is already a win. There is nothing difficult about this.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

this is wrong.  It was unlikely.  It all depends on what kind of contract he gets (and I doubt he gets the size contract that would yield more than a 4th or 5th) and whether or not Douglas would have signed more UFAs than let go.  If so, then there would be NO comp picks no matter what Leo signed for.

Why is it nobody gets the workings of Comp picks?  They are far from guaranteed when a team lets an UFA go.

I know how it works and I know what d lineman get and he would have gotten enough believe it or not to get us the 3rd.

Leo came to the team and looked good early.  And then mo wilk and shel rich became his mentors and he had to babysit crazy guys like Darron Lee.  He saw todd bowles do nothing to the fat free loaders and the team were losers for a few years and finally he fell  into the bunch with the rest of them.  He was also poorly used in his time here.  This team would have gotten so much more put of its defense if it had gone to a 4-3 years ago.

I like Leo but his play fell off and the trade was a very good one for us.  Douglas gets one check mark so far.  Dump some more players.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Beerfish said:

Leo came to the team and looked good early.  And then mo wilk and shel rich became his mentors and he had to babysit crazy guys like Darron Lee.  He saw todd bowles do nothing to the fat free loaders and the team were losers for a few years and finally he fell  into the bunch with the rest of them.  He was also poorly used in his time here.  This team would have gotten so much more put of its defense if it had gone to a 4-3 years ago.

I like Leo but his play fell off and the trade was a very good one for us.  Douglas gets one check mark so far.  Dump some more players.

mo wilk and sheldon were naturally better pass rushers than leo ever was, even though they were lazy.

• Upvote 1