Grade the Leo Williams Trade

What Grade to you give Douglas for the Leo Trade  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What Grade to you give Douglas for the Leo Trade

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/12/2019 at 10:23 PM

57 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Getting something better than the compensatory pick is good, but an "A" for some spots up in the 3rd and a 5th in 2021? That seems a tad high to me. 

We would only get the comp pics if we didn't sign our own FA.

That being said, I gave it a B.   good trade

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Reynolds1029 said:

B. A for JD getting Gettleman to bite but B overall because I feel dip$hit Macc could have gotten a 2 on draft night after getting Q but he didn't because Leo is his "gem" and having a bunch of fat guys on the D line TOTALLY works in todays NFL.

probably right on draft night - but we might have gotten a 2nd and who knows what mac would have done with it.  

• Upvote 1

Absolute A

the only good thing about leo is hes tough and stays healthy. Other than that hes a very average player. 

Wed be crazy to overpay him and keep his poor production going here

he was walking for nothing. An early3 rd round pics always has some gems left. Plus i tead if the gmen sign him the other pick turns into a 4

honestly couldnt have been better for us

A third and a fifth for a guy who now will require a large contract. A guy who to this point hasn't been much more than average in my opinion (yes, the 3-4 sucks for dl stats in his defense).  Next year that 3rd is another pick that could start on this team considering the current depth chart (Another (good) oline player maybe). Good trade in these circumstances as they need his contract on the other side of the line making a noticeable difference.

• Sympathy 1

Yea, its really quite excellent compensation.  You are looking at an average to below average team, so a middling 3.  The other pick is the following year, so you can consider it as a 6th round this year that can become a 5th rounder this year.

So going by the draft chart, we have 190 points + 34 points on the high end, or  21 points on the low end.  Which basically makes the compensation an early 3.. 

This is roughly the same as the Sheldon Richardson compensation package in total value.  Which is excellent, b/c I don't think Williams ever showed that type of production, and Richardson had more contract room (although we didn't eat his contract like we did here).

That was about as good as we could have hoped for.  It very easily could have been a high 3 or an early 4, which means there was probably a bidding war.

7 hours ago, New York Mick said:

It currently doesn’t help the team and I don’t know who they’re going to draft with the picks so it’s impossible to grade.
If they get a pro bowler with one of the picks it would be an A if they get 2 guys who never see the field it would be an F and in between depending on how good the players drafted are. 

blowhard.gif

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, batman10023 said:

probably right on draft night - but we might have gotten a 2nd and who knows what mac would have done with it.  

Well I'd just hope it's a 2020 2nd and like a 6th in 2019 LOL

Leo sucked here and I have a gut feeling getting traded will light a fire under his ass and be John Abraham type deal.

Problem is that won't happen because he went to the Giants which is as big of dumpster fire and isn't even a change of atmosphere. Hell he can even hangout with his old Jet teammates like nothing happened ? 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, HessStation said:

I actually spent time watching just Leo yesterday and he has zero hand tech. Dude is a jag for life. Good trade

I will never forget seeing Leo on NFL Live with Mark Schlereth. Mark asked him what he would with various moves and he had no real answers. He basically said I will just overpower them.  Mark later in the show said he would struggle without some moves.  I remember thinking I sure hope the Jets don't pick him and guess what?

• Sympathy 1

I remember when we drafted this dude looking back indidnt realize at the time what a horrible pick it was. The course of BPA. We wasted another 1st rounder ona guy that was destined to leave. 

Wonder if there was any good lineman or pass rushers drafted that year. Would have been much better choice looking back

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Since Douglas isn't the one who drafted Leo, you have to ignore the draft slot, no?

Even if he did, it doesn’t matter.  Nor does it matter who we take with the pick.  If Douglas blows the pick, it’s an entirely separate transaction.  But fear, or the possibility, of that isn’t relevant to whether a 3rd round pick offers more value that half a season of LW to the 2019 Jets.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Jetfan13 said:

U guys r all idiots. Wanna know why we don’t have any stars? Because they know we will just trade them away before resigning them and they will get more money somewhere else so why bother working hard.

Indeed.  This is the reason Leo’s entire career was underwhelming.  He always knew he’d get traded.  Now, he’ll be a superstar for 8 games and get the mega deal he always wanted.  Genius, really.

• Upvote 1

A +

The most disappointing thing about Leo is his motor and desire. When drafting you really need to be wary of a player who is so naturally gifted that he can physically dominate most college opponents without really working too hard at it because when they get to the NFL, natural gifts are not enough. Everyone is freakishly naturally gifted in the NFL. To be a top Defensive front 7 player in the NFL, you need a relentless motor and an unquenchable desire to be the best.  Leo didn't have that.

Worse yet, I fear Q is cut from the same cloth. Nice kid. Truly gifted. Never had to work really, really hard to succeed. 

On 10/28/2019 at 3:23 PM, Jetfan13 said:

U guys r all idiots. Wanna know why we don’t have any stars? Because they know we will just trade them away before resigning them and they will get more money somewhere else so why bother working hard.

Other than Damon Harrison (who left in free agency but should have been re-signed), who are these players the Jets have traded who became stars elsewhere? I'm anxious to learn their names. Perhaps Mac and Idzik were better drafters than they get credit for.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Indeed.  This is the reason Leo’s entire career was underwhelming.  He always knew he’d get traded.  Now, he’ll be a superstar for 8 games and get the mega deal he always wanted.  Genius, really.

Same principle as Gase letting Maccagnan **** up the draft before getting him fired. The secret has been out on the Jets for a long time. This is where you come to steal money and everybody knows it.

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Same principle as Gase letting Maccagnan **** up the draft before getting him fired. The secret has been out on the Jets for a long time. This is where you come to steal money and everybody knows it.

I read that the Jets had planned to fire Maccagnan even before the draft. Amazing vision from ownership.