Wild Mangini tidbit from Francesa that made me puke

T0mShane

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He wasn't the GM though, was he?  Wasn't it Tannenbaum?  That said, I'd absolutely bring him back to the organization in some capacity.  HC would be fine.  Team president would also be fine.  Maybe I'm wrong about this but I think he's absolutely a legit football guy.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Nobody ever took responsibility for Gholston, but that whole first round was Bust Central.

I'm sure there will be much denial. No one will now take credit for it. But I remembered reading about it and I think this was the Daily News article I read https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/source-ex-coach-eric-mangini-pushed-new-york-jets-draft-disappointing-linebacker-vernon-gholston-article-1.417481

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Francesa has been on a pro-Mangini kick the last few days, which usually means someone from the Mangini camp is in Mike’s ear. Anyway, Mike shared something I’d never heard regarding why Mangini was fired after 9-7. Ready to puke? Here it is:::

Woody Johnson was upset that Vernon Gholston wasn’t playing more and Mangini told Woody to take a hike. 

Like, holy sh*t. Woody Johnson caping for Vernon f*cking Gholston and then Woody getting butthurt that Mangini wouldn’t relent on giving him playing time. Imagine that.

Another reason we need Woody Johnson to sell the damn team. 

57 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

My recollection was that the Jets did all they could to trade down and nobody wanted to come up for this guy.  Gholston was a classic risk/reward pick....either a Bosa or a bust.  We know how it turned out.  I just think the Jets couldn't stomach something like taking a 2nd or 3rd rounder to move down 8 spots, and that's probably all somebody was offering.

They held their nose and made the pick.

Gholston was a stiff and was a fairly obvious bust to be imo

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm sure there will be much denial. No one will now take credit for it. But I remembered reading about it and I think this was the Daily News article I read https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/source-ex-coach-eric-mangini-pushed-new-york-jets-draft-disappointing-linebacker-vernon-gholston-article-1.417481

Everything always gets blamed on the guy who got fired yet the team's fortunes persistently fail to turn completely round. I'm sure this time is the charm tho.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm pretty comfortable with the notion that Mangini was picking the players during his time here.

T0m wants to give him credit for Mangold and Revis but pretend Gholston and Favre was Tanny/Woody's fault

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This can’t be true. I can’t even picture Mangina having the balls to tell Woody to take a hike. I also couldn’t picture that spineless weirdo Woody bossing anyone around. He seems like a cuck douche. 

? Whole reason the guy isn’t a NFL HC is huge balls actually 

35 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He wasn't the GM though, was he?  Wasn't it Tannenbaum?  That said, I'd absolutely bring him back to the organization in some capacity.  HC would be fine.  Team president would also be fine.  Maybe I'm wrong about this but I think he's absolutely a legit football guy.  

True - this is Tannenbaum (The last Parcells relic) & Mangini. It's always a collaboration between GM & HC.

7 minutes ago, CTM said:

I'm pretty comfortable with the notion that Mangini was picking the players during his time here.

T0m wants to give him credit for Mangold and Revis but pretend Gholston and Favre was Tanny/Woody's fault

I just see the apparent m.o. in 2008 as far as personnel as being way more in line with 09-12 than with 06-07.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

True - this is Tannenbaum (The last Parcells relic) & Mangini. It's always a collaboration between GM & HC.

Mangini was apparently heavily involved in the predraft screening. They had one of the more intense processes in the league at the time and he conducted the 1 on 1's in Indianapolis at the combine. Wanted guys who were team captains in college, lived for football etc. There were some misses (Schelgel) but the mid rounds produced a bunch of good and useful players for the Jets. He also drafted a few ring of honor guys at the top. Certainly better than what they've been doing over the last 12 years or so.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I just see the apparent m.o. in 2008 as far as personnel as being way more in line with 09-12 than with 06-07.

Well I mean that is a long history and obviously Mangini wanted nothing to do with Favre, the whole naming his kid after him thing was also Tanny's idea

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, CTM said:

Well I mean that is a long history and obviously Mangini wanted nothing to do with Favre, the whole naming his kid after of him was also Tanny's idea

The moves were hardly all bad, and there are Mangini's two years in Cleveland to compare also. Faneca/Pace/Woody/Favre/Jenkins sticks out like a sore thumb but it's business as usual for Tannenbaum. The other thing on Gholston is the part in Collision Low Crossers where it talks about how the combine model Mangini used put agility numbers at a premium, which contributed to the Revis pick and would have reflected real badly on Gholston.

11 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

The moves were hardly all bad, and there are Mangini's two years in Cleveland to compare also. Faneca/Pace/Woody/Favre/Jenkins sticks out like a sore thumb but it's business as usual for Tannenbaum. The other thing on Gholston is the part in Collision Low Crossers where it talks about how the combine model Mangini used put agility numbers at a premium, which contributed to the Revis pick and would have reflected real badly on Gholston.

I don't remember that I remember some silly thing about expecting players to remember everyones name that pissed Bowe off. 

EIther way, Mangini has been failed 2x at the top spot and is out of work. The idea that he was some savant like T0m will have you believe isn't supported by much of anything 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This can’t be true. I can’t even picture Mangina having the balls to tell Woody to take a hike. I also couldn’t picture that spineless weirdo Woody bossing anyone around. He seems like a cuck douche. 

Something happened. Mangini was told if he played along with the Favre move no matter what the outcome he wouldn't be fired. It almost worked until Favre got hurt and made a mess.And Mangini got fired anyway. It's among the reasons among the legion of them why many good football people don't want to work here. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, CTM said:

I don't remember that I remember some silly thing about expecting players to remember everyones name that pissed Bowe off. 

EIther way, Mangini has been failed 2x at the top spot and is out of work. The idea that he was some savant like T0m will have you believe isn't supported by much of anything 

My fault. It was in War Room, not the Dawidoff book. I had to look it up too. And I don't know that I'd characterize either of those stints as failures if I were to give Mangini the benefit of the doubt for sh*t circumstances the way you do with Darnold.

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

My fault. It was in War Room, not the Dawidoff book. I had to look it up too. And I don't know that I'd characterize either of those stints as failures if I were to give Mangini the benefit of the doubt for sh*t circumstances the way you do with Darnold.

Ha, 2 weeks ago I was called a hater and now a fluffer. 

• Haha 1