Wild Mangini tidbit from Francesa that made me puke

T0mShane

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Francesa has been on a pro-Mangini kick the last few days, which usually means someone from the Mangini camp is in Mike’s ear. Anyway, Mike shared something I’d never heard regarding why Mangini was fired after 9-7. Ready to puke? Here it is:::

Woody Johnson was upset that Vernon Gholston wasn’t playing more and Mangini told Woody to take a hike. 

Like, holy sh*t. Woody Johnson caping for Vernon f*cking Gholston and then Woody getting butthurt that Mangini wouldn’t relent on giving him playing time. Imagine that.

Yeah that made me sick as well.  The team's collapse was not Mangini's fault either, it was injuries to Brett and Jenkins.   Hopefully Woody ends up staying in London for good and Chris is less of a meddler,

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Then you put in your QB Clemens who you drafted in 06 are you saying the great Mangini didn't develop him?? 

Mangini TRIED Clemens in 2007 when Chad got hurt and we all saw the results.  Mangini came in and KNEW Chad was not the answer and played Clemens even when Chad was healthy as well.   I remember vividly.  Look, I get your point but Mangini had the team humming and I fully did NOT understand his firing.   We have not drafted as well since and I would say Rex won with Mangini guys. Rex's true 1st draft we drafted Vlad, Wilson etc.  Im convinced than Tanny was a pussy boy who cowed down to the coached for drafting. He was a numbers and cap guy.  He let Favre out of his contract....

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Mangini TRIED Clemens in 2007 when Chad got hurt and we all saw the results.  Mangini came in and KNEW Chad was not the answer and played Clemens even when Chad was healthy as well.   I remember vividly.  Look, I get your point but Mangini had the team humming and I fully did NOT understand his firing.   We have not drafted as well since and I would say Rex won with Mangini guys. Rex's true 1st draft we drafted Vlad, Wilson etc.  Im convinced than Tanny was a pussy boy who cowed down to the coached for drafting. He was a numbers and cap guy.  He let Favre out of his contract....

Yet the QB he knew wasn't the answer took a 1-15 Fin team to win the East..You think Rex was bad I think Mangini was worse. At least under Rex they had a top D and the top rushing team Oh and won some playoff games..

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Yet the QB he knew wasn't the answer took a 1-15 Fin team to win the East..You think Rex was bad I think Mangini was worse. At least under Rex they had a top D and the top rushing team Oh and won some playoff games..

Fair enough..  I simply think Mangini was yanked without having the runway to build the team.  Without Mangini, REX is a footnote.  He is a bad coach when left to his own.  Once he established his presence, the team deteriorates.  Bills defense got worse under Rex. BUT your points are fair. Oh..  remember the playoff game against the Ravens?  yeah that one, Chad's 4 picks?  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Francesa has been on a pro-Mangini kick the last few days, which usually means someone from the Mangini camp is in Mike’s ear. Anyway, Mike shared something I’d never heard regarding why Mangini was fired after 9-7. Ready to puke? Here it is:::

Woody Johnson was upset that Vernon Gholston wasn’t playing more and Mangini told Woody to take a hike. 

Like, holy sh*t. Woody Johnson caping for Vernon f*cking Gholston and then Woody getting butthurt that Mangini wouldn’t relent on giving him playing time. Imagine that.

I mean, I was upset VG wasn’t playing more too... Woody is giving him 10s of millions of dollars, at the very least he’s got a right to be upset.  Clearly he didn’t force VG onto the field.

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You also hated Parcells so it’s clear your taste in coaches is compromised 

I hate Parcells, but he is not a stiff. Just a douchebag.  Parcells is a quality coach, but he is a fat carpetbagger, that was never going to stay and finish the job here.  I hate Belichick and Don Shula too.  Do you like them?

35 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I hate Parcells, but he is not a stiff. Just a douchebag.  Parcells is a quality coach, but he is a fat carpetbagger, that was never going to stay and finish the job here.  I hate Belichick and Don Shula too.  Do you like them?

You know me, Dom. I value excellence above all else.

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I doubt that, they went all in with a future HOF QB and the team tanked down the stretch.  That's why he was fired, he then went on to fail in Cleveland.  I didn't want to fire him at the time but if we didn't there's no way we see those championship games and while we lost at least we had a chance to compete for a super bowl trip.

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Which makes it hard to believe Gholston would make it through an interview with Mangini. Hell, Parcells was as good as anyone at identifying edge rushers and he passed on Gholston to take Jake Long

Are you ******* insane?  This is the man that dumped Hugh Douglas and swore that Dorian Boose was the answer to all of our pass rush needs.  George Young got him LT and he didn't **** it up.  That qualifies him as an expert?  He was a truly horrific personnel guy that overpaid all his buddies for years after he left.  

2 hours ago, deucebag said:

Yeah that made me sick as well.  The team's collapse was not Mangini's fault either, it was injuries to Brett and Jenkins.   Hopefully Woody ends up staying in London for good and Chris is less of a meddler,

Wah!  Wah!  Brett Favre got hurt!  Kris Jenkins got hurt!  Who could be expected to win a game?  They both played 16 ******* games in 2008. In 2009 Brett Favre was on the Vikings and Kris Jenkins played in 6 games.  The Jets defense was #1 in points and #1 in yards.  

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You know me, Dom. I value excellence above all else.

If there is one thing that Eric Mangini's tenure in the NFL screams it is excellence!

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

This is just wrong on so many levels.  Mangini all-out committed to the noodle after an incredibly mediocre 2006 season.  Literally the one and only player he ever gave an exception to his "everyone has to compete" rule, so he certainly didn't know a damn thing about him not being the answer.  I will give him credit that he did eventually make the switch once the 2007 season was lost, but it was too little too late by then.  Besides, the excuse for not going back to Clemens in 2008 doesn't hold much water once you consider that Clemens went 3-4 with the same team that Chad went 1-8 with (and later 1-0 for the 2009 team).  None of this to say Clemens was actually good, but let's not pretend like there wasn't a viable backup available.  There's just way too much excuse-making for why Mangini isn't bad as all evidence shows him to be, for no other reason than because we had less time to grow to hate him than those around him.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Are you ******* insane?  This is the man that dumped Hugh Douglas and swore that Dorian Boose was the answer to all of our pass rush needs.  George Young got him LT and he didn't **** it up.  That qualifies him as an expert?  He was a truly horrific personnel guy that overpaid all his buddies for years after he left.  

Wah!  Wah!  Brett Favre got hurt!  Kris Jenkins got hurt!  Who could be expected to win a game?  They both played 16 ******* games in 2008. In 2009 Brett Favre was on the Vikings and Kris Jenkins played in 6 games.  The Jets defense was #1 in points and #1 in yards.  

If there is one thing that Eric Mangini's tenure in the NFL screams it is excellence!

Mangini's supposed "expertise" was defense, and with Revis were 29th in the league in passing D in 2008.  They were #1 the following year.  So much excellence!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Eric could just be being blackballed in the NFL because of Belichick. There were rumors he was fired as 49ers DC by Chip Kelly who is a friend of Belichick. He hasn’t worked in the NFL since. 

Mangini is blackballed because he sucked.

Mangini was an nfl head coach for 5 years he made the playoffs one time and it was because his team had the easiest schedule ever

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Looking back at this, damn Mangini should have never been fired. Really sad.

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Mangini's supposed "expertise" was defense, and with Revis were 29th in the league in passing D in 2008.  They were #1 the following year.  So much excellence!

Mangini’s defensive playcalling was ultraconservative

He would go into the quarters preven for Matt friggin Cassell.  

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

18th in DVOA. And Revis's 2009 season was a 3 sigma outlier. It's like calling Belichick an idiot because he couldn't reproduce 2007.

Regarding claims of Mangini's make believe GM'ing being responsible for the team's success after he was sh*t-canned, let's just do a quick rundown of the new starters that made up the Jets' 2010 roster:

1 new QB (Sanchez)
2 new RBs (Tomlinson, Greene)
2 new WRs (Edwards, Holmes)
1 new OG (Slauson)
1 new LB (Scott)
1 new CB (Cromartie)
2 new S (Leonhard, Pool)

That's not to mention, there were another 5 that were holdovers from the Bradway/Herm era (Pouha, Ellis, Thomas, Moore, Cotchery).

But by all means, let's talk more about how he's solely responsible for a job that wasn't even his and a roster full of players brought in when he wasn't here.

13 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

18th in DVOA. And Revis's 2009 season was a 3 sigma outlier. It's like calling Belichick an idiot because he couldn't reproduce 2007.

Is your argument that Mangini was in any way a good defensive coach at any point in his NFL career?

Oh, and I completely agree with you on the outlier of Revis' 2009 season, but it's certainly worth noting when one of the greatest supposed Mangini achievements according to some is dependent on crediting him for that.

13 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Is your argument that Mangini was in any way a good defensive coach at any point in his NFL career?

Oh, and I completely agree with you on the outlier of Revis' 2009 season, but it's certainly worth noting when one of the greatest supposed Mangini achievements according to some is dependent on crediting him for that.

Mangini had a plan and a process. Drafted relatively well. It's a low bar, but that's where we're at. 

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

LOL.  "Mangini camp"

latest?cb=20160720212533

59 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

This is just wrong on so many levels.  Mangini all-out committed to the noodle after an incredibly mediocre 2006 season.  Literally the one and only player he ever gave an exception to his "everyone has to compete" rule, so he certainly didn't know a damn thing about him not being the answer.  I will give him credit that he did eventually make the switch once the 2007 season was lost, but it was too little too late by then.  Besides, the excuse for not going back to Clemens in 2008 doesn't hold much water once you consider that Clemens went 3-4 with the same team that Chad went 1-8 with (and later 1-0 for the 2009 team).  None of this to say Clemens was actually good, but let's not pretend like there wasn't a viable backup available.  There's just way too much excuse-making for why Mangini isn't bad as all evidence shows him to be, for no other reason than because we had less time to grow to hate him than those around him.

Understood.. like REX, the record shows he is not good BUT I believe he wasn't given a fair shake.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

My argument is that the Jets were not 29th in pass defense in 2008.

And yes, Mangini gets some of the credit for 2009 (there's plenty to go around) for having drafted Revis at 14 in the first place.